Football Manager Documentary

Hello all

At the moment i am currently planning a University project, as i'm sure you can guess from the title, on Football Manager and it's fans. I am starting this thread as it may well be the easiest way to get in contact to the powers that be who create this godly game.

Basically i am looking to harvest a selection of story's from fans on how addicted you can get to FM, and whether it sometimes go's too far and starts to effect your life (if your like me then i'm sure it has many times) whether your social life, or indeed your mental stability.

And if any moderators would like to get in touch with me please do, i.e. if they deem threading this inappropriate or they would like to participate/pass on story's. But i would be eternally grateful if anybody could pass on contact details if they are interested in participating in this project (particularly if you are from the Bristol area or in the FM hierarchy). And would be even more grateful if the creators of the game would care to participate.

Thanks for reading.

My first FM was FM 06. I got it not long after it came out and found myself irresistably addicted to it. I started off doing well but started to hydroplane. I couldn't buy a win if you put me against cardboard cutouts. Nothing I tried seemed to help. I had a couple days off from work and decided it was time to fix the problem. I started to walk to the nearest grocery store for some caffeinated energy drinks to stimulate my mind. Unfortunately I was doing fm formations in my head and not paying attention to where I was walking. I ended up jaywalking into the path of a cement truck going down a rather steep hill. The driver had to swerve and barely barely missed me (3 maybe 4 inches). Funnily enough, the sheer scare of almost needing peeled out of his grill was enough to jar my brain into solving my problem. :o

The only other story I can really give you that would be much worth is that I know what addiction is like. I used to be an alcoholic. I'd wake up, start drinking, go to university, drink in class, drink between classes, drink after classes, go home, drink some more then pass out and start over. Here's the scary part. I would find quitting FM harder than I EVER found giving up getting drunk every day. :o :o

Someday there's going to be a 12 step program for FM addiction I swear. :D

Wasn't there a guy who played it on his laptop while driving because he was mad addicted to it? I remember reading the forum post but I'm not sure if it got deleted with the move over.

I remember reading something about this. Think the chap was from Asia (Thailand maybe) who got so addicted he played FM in his car one morning, crashed it and went into a downward spiral where his relationship ended. Not sure how you'd search for it?

Also google something like FM cited as reasons for divorce - read that it had been used twice as reason for divorce

I remember reading something about this. Think the chap was from Asia (Thailand maybe) who got so addicted he played FM in his car one morning, crashed it and went into a downward spiral where his relationship ended. Not sure how you'd search for it?

Also google something like FM cited as reasons for divorce - read that it had been used twice as reason for divorce

I don't remember his relationship ending because of it, I remember that he woke up in hospital in a bad way and his wife was delighted to see him regain conciousness and he couldn't understand what had happened.

Thanks to everyone for participating in this. I did not expect such good feedback so quickly.

If anyone has any screen shots of these massive files, please upload them, would make for some great images, but yeah just keep the tales rolling.

Also The Ultimate Red Devil, i agree, i might see about setting up the film as a 12 step programme lol, cheers for your story though, defoe going on the shortlist.

Archived