FM2009: Official Rangers Thread

maverick1200

Rangers Football Club are based in Glasgow, Scotland, who currently play in the Scottish Premier League. They have won a world record 51 league titles and have won more major trophies than any other football club in the world. The club are nicknamed the Teddy Bears, from the rhyming slang for Gers, which in turn is short for Rangers, and the fans are known to each other as "Bluenoses". The club's correct name is simply Rangers F.C., although they are sometimes referred to as Glasgow Rangers for European matches to avoid confusion

The club's home, the all-seated 51,082-capacity Ibrox Stadium in south-west Glasgow, is a five-star UEFA elite stadium. The stadium was the first in Scotland to be granted this accolade, which it now shares with Hampden Park, Scotland's national stadium.

On 10 January 2007, it was announced that former manager Walter Smith was the new manager of Rangers, with Ally McCoist as assistant manager and Kenny McDowall as first-team coach.

The early season priority, qualification for the Champions League group stage was secured after aggregate victories over the champions of the Montenegrin and Serbian leagues, FK Zeta and Red Star Belgrade respectively. The campaign started well for Rangers with two victories but ultimately they did not progress from the group stages. But the adventure continued as they progressed to the final of the UEFA Cup, defeating Panathinaikos, Werder Bremen, Sporting Lisbon and Fiorentina along the way. The final was against Zenit St. Petersburg who are managed by former Rangers manager Dick Advocaat. They lost that match 2-0.

Rangers 1st Team

1 Allan McGregor

2 Maurice Edu

3 David Weir

4 Pedro Mendes

5 Sasa Papac

6 Barry Ferguson

7 Brahim Hemdani

8 Kevin Thomson

9 Kris Boyd

10 Nacho Novo

11 Charlie Adam

12 Lee McCulloch

14 Steven Naismith

15 Alan Gow

16 Graeme Smith

17 Chris Burke

18 Kenny Miller

19 Jean Claude Darcheville

20 DaMarcus Beasley

21 Kirk Broadfoot

23 Christian Dailly

24 Madjid Bougherra

25 Neil Alexander

26 Steven Smith

27 Kyle Lafferty

28 Steven Whittaker

31 Aaron Niguez

34 Paul Emslie

35 Steven Davis

37 Andrius Velicka

45 Rory Loy

46 Dean Furman

47 Jordan McMillan

53 John Fleck

Club Records

Record home attendance

118,567 vs Celtic, January 1939

Record victory

13-0 vs Possilpark, Scottish Cup, 6 October 1877

Record league victory

10-0 vs Hibernian, 24 December 1898

Record defeat

2-10 vs Airdrieonians, 6 February 1886

Record league defeat

0-6 vs Dumbarton, 4 May 1892

Record appearances

John Greig, 755, 1960-1978

Record league appearances

Sandy Archibald, 513, 1917-1934

Record Scottish Cup appearances

Alec Smith, 74

Record Scottish League Cup appearances

John Greig, 121

Record European competition appearances

Barry Ferguson, 82

Record goalscorer

Ally McCoist, 355 goals, 1983-1998

Most goals in one season

Jim Forrest, 57 goals, 1964/1965

Most league goals in one season

Sam English, 44 goals, 1931/1932

Most league goals

Ally McCoist, 251 goals

Most Scottish Cup goals

Jimmy Fleming, 44 goals

Most League Cup goals

Ally McCoist, 54 goals

Most European goals

Ally McCoist, 21 goals

Shutout record

Chris Woods, 1196 minutes, 1986/87 (British record)

Most capped player

Frank de Boer, 112 caps for The Netherlands

Highest transfer fee received

Alan Hutton, £9m, Tottenham Hotspur, 2008

Highest transfer fee paid

Tore André Flo, £12.5 m, Chelsea, 2000

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I started by selling McCulloch 900K, Adam 600K, JCD 170K, Hemdani 925K. I bought Caceres (loan), Acosta (loan), Mosquera (loan) and O'Shea (loan).

As soon as i had qualified for the champs league i requested more funds and i received 6m.

I then bought Yakubu (vitesse - 1.6m), Palermo (boca - 2.4m) and Borges (saprissa - 750k).

After having a very shakey pre-season losing all my games i am now top of the spl mid october, having managed to secure a 4 - 2 victory away to celtic.

The highlight of the season was a 1-1 draw at home to the mighty barcelona

Mentality - Normal (1 up from middle)

Creative Freedom - Normal (middle)

Passing Style - Mixed (5 from left)

Tempo - Normal (5 from left)

Width - Normal (2 from middle)

Closing Down - Half way (2 from middle)

Time Wasting - Rarely

Defensive Line - Normal (half way)

Tackling - Normal

Im finding this FM very hard, in the champs league ive lost every game apart from a 1-1 draw with barca and apart from the celtic game i havnt scored more than 2 goals and most of my players are not getting high ratings

Thanks for this thread:thup:

The problem with Novo's attribute of 1 for finishing is a real worry as he is useless in front to goal and niot really good enough as a right winger. ( SI are aware of this )

Anybody any ideas on who to get for the right wing position?

Thanks for this thread:thup:

The problem with Novo's attribute of 1 for finishing is a real worry as he is useless in front to goal and niot really good enough as a right winger. ( SI are aware of this )

Anybody any ideas on who to get for the right wing position?

Yeh go for Lautaro Acosta from Sevilla, i picked him up on loan paying £2,700 on wages. He looks a very good player!

In my Rangers game

I have bought

Zakuani from Fulham on loan

Davids on a free

Sneijder (Rodney) on loan

Reynolds from Motherwell for £1.1m

McArthur from Hamilton for £600k

Stevenson from Hamilton for £350k

Palacios from Wigan for £3.3m

Fletcher from Hibs for £2.4m

Thomson left to Middlesborough for £3.5 and Hemdani to West Brom for £500k

My first XI normally vaires constantly but ideally I would be playing

McGregor, Zakuani, Papac, Broadfoot, Bougherra, Mendes, Davis/Davids, Palacios, Beasley, Miller and Boyd

But like said their is a lot of rotation going on especially in midfield and up front. So far I have got to the CL Groups battered by Roma 4-1 but beat Cruj 3-1

In the league it is mid October just beat Dundee United 2-0 to continue my unblemished record so far.

Which tactic are you using, cos doesnt matter wot I try , I am getting humped !!

Same here.

I'm sitting 5th in SPL,only won 3 of my first 11 matches, only lost two though, lost 6-0 at Parkhead, seem to be getting a lot of 1-1 draws.

And after scraping through qualifiers on away goals only picked up one point from my first 4 Champions League matches.

I've tried 4-4-2, 4-5-1 and now playing 4-3-3 BUT still doing nothing, just lost in Lg Cup QF at Hibs.

Did anyone else get an extra £6M transfer budget adjustment in October/November?

And I'm getting an awful lot of injuries.

Playing 4132 with Mendes as the DMC. That is annoying actually as want him as a playmaker MC, but he has been crap everytime I play him at MC, and I mean 6 or less ratings !! Have 8 out injured, but at least Boyd is scoring. Bought McCarthy from Accies and he has been pi*h, I paid over the odds to get him and he is simply mince.

Need a good MC or AMC that will actually come.

Classic, just as I post he is mince, McCarthy smashes in his first goal and we beat Shaktar 2 - 1 at Ibrox in Champs L . It seems the fans think buying him was a huge mistake though, time will tell. Miller out now as well..................

I agree about Mendes- averaging around 6, board complaining about his form, give him one last chance in the CL against Man U at Ibrox and he scores two and gets an 8.5 rating- I suspect he is going to be an enigma!

Boyd has scored 12 in 12 but no-one else scoring goals` Davis is struggling but Adam is good due to his over estimated attributes!

1 tip for you all- Papc will get disillusioned half way through the season and want to leave under the Bosman rule- if you want to keep him, get him on a new contract before October. McGregor also gives problems about wanting a new challenge, so a new keeper may be a good idea,

Big Boyd gone off the boil, Lafferty is scoring now though.

Just got the DMC, Zuculini, to agree to come in Jan, he is on the boards here as a gem, so see how that works.

Wot is the best way to get something out of Mendez then ? and how as a kewper as Hull as sniffing round Alexander, and if McGregor starts to moan he is out !

Steve Smith is looking good at lb.

Finish demo.

Happy as I finished 2nd on goal diff to Celtic after the start I had. In Eufa Cup, finished 3rd in CL group.

Right going to start all over again for last time b4 real game arrives !!

Much the same here mate.

Started very poorly, loads of injuries, couldn't find a good tactic etc.

BUT by Xmas was sitting 2nd just behind them, and closing gap as on a good run of form after finally finding a tactic that worked. Pretty sure if I had been able to play until end of season I would have had a good chance of winning SPL.

Europe - Same as yourself, finished third in my Champions League group, behind Arsenal and Porto. Just drawn HSV in UEFA Cup, and then winner of Portsmouth/Lyon if I get through.

Who were your best players? Mines were:

Defence - Whittaker

Midfield - Ferguson/ Mendes

Attackers - Beasley/Boyd

Youth - Bendiksen, the young Norwegian AM C. I had to play him a few times because of the sheer volume of injuries. Usually coming off bench for last 20/25mins. He scored on his debut and generally did very well. Helped with the three U-21 rule too.

Formation wise,after much experimentation, and gnashing of teeth etc. I finally settled on a 4-3-3.

GK McGregor

RB Whittaker

LB Smith/Papac

CB 2 from Madjid/Broadfoot/Papac/Hemdani

MC Mendes/Ferguson/Davis/Thompson

I played three MC, (NO MR or ML!!!)

FC Miller/Boyd/Beasley/Novo/Lafferty - I know Beasley is a AM L, and that SuperNacho has finishing of 1, BUT between them they set up loads of goals, top two assists in SPL.

Again,I played three FC, (NO FR or FL!!!)

Depending on match situation I would bring on extra AMC or DMC and remove either DC,AMC or FC. Edu, Bendiksen were good for these roles I found.

What formation/tactics did you use?

Tactic was 4132

Back 4 had arrows for forward for fullbacks, and back for DC's

DMC arrow backward

Midfield was a tight 3, with forward runs on outside 2,

Two SC's up top.

Best defender was big Kirk, I made him Vice Captain and he was a stand out at DC

Midfield, probably Edu at DMC

Forward Boyd , but Lafferty did not to bad in patches.

I had the lowest goals conceded in SPL, but I don't think I scored enough so will need to tweak.

As FM is such a wonderful and varied game, I started again last night on a new save , same tactics, same players and was getting humped. Lost to Falkirk in the first game.

BLAH have shipped my full version of teh game so should get that on Saturday, so probably won't take this one any further.

Any signings you have made that could do well ? I signed a Jonathon Cristaldo, FC, looks a good player like, cheap 2, about 500000 from Argentine, just 18.

I started the Demo game, I assume like yourself, with only £1M to spend.

Though I was given roughly £6M extra in October to spend in the January transfer window.

The initial £1M I was given I spent on Robbie Neilson (RB) Hearts. Whittaker was injured in pre-season and I felt I needed a RB for start of SPL.

After receiving extra cash I sent scouts to Scandinavia and South America. Found a young Brazilian forward, 19yo, started with a K and ended in a 'son' I think, who my scouts were raving about and had a bid accepted of just under £2M. He was due to sign on Jan 1st.

Yip, Demo is £1M and I guess the full game will be the same.

I got Maurice Ross for RB, did really well actually and cost just £250K.

If you ask for more funds as soon as you get into Champs L you will get another £5M - £6M, so there is just enough time to buy !

Yip, Demo is £1M and I guess the full game will be the same.

I got Maurice Ross for RB, did really well actually and cost just £250K.

If you ask for more funds as soon as you get into Champs L you will get another £5M - £6M, so there is just enough time to buy !

Never thought of asking for extra funds.

I'll try to remember that for next time.

Not going to bother starting another demo game though, just checked my Amazon account and my order has been dispatched.

I'll check my demo savegame tonight when I get home and try to get more details on the young Brazilian stiker I signed.

Just use the Editor to change Novo's finishing to 13 or 14.

It's not cheating it's realistic. All you are doing is fixing a database error.

Are SI releasing suggested Database changes, using the editor, to save people feeling like they're cheats?

Are SI releasing suggested Database changes, using the editor, to save people feeling like they're cheats?

SI are aware of the Novo issue and it will be part of the data update when it is released- so , go on, use the editor cos we wont tell!

Went with a diamond which works surprisingly well. Means you have to drop a bunch of wingers, but you do get cash for them.

Use Edu as an anchorman because he is so good at it. He's the most important guy in the team.

Rest kind of forms up like this.

GK: Alexander (if you get him to mentor a young player he becomes a great keeper)

DR: Whittaker (so good)

DC: Harvey (If you set him to high closing down he just cuts out so many opportunities)

DC: Boughera (Needs some nicey nicey treatment but delievers when you do)

DL: Gueya (Picked him up from a French team, Senegal international, just as good as Whittaker. Doesn't speak English, and not a natural left back, but worth every penny)

DMC: Edu (Stops a lot of attacks)

MC: Mendes (Use him as a playmaker and he does become better)

MC: Davis (But you'll want to replace him with Ferguson when he gets fit)

AMC: Rebrov (Another bargain signing, basicly using him till Fleck matures)

FC: Boyd (He just keeps getting goals

FC: And other (with Boyd being so good it's almost irrelevant, if you can sign a strong partner I'd recommend it, since no one currently at the gers works too well)

This has been working pretty well for me. I'll let you know where I'm placed once I've got further into the game.

Also, anyone know why Novo's finishing is so low? Because no fan being objective could say that is a fair reflection of his ability. There are CD in the Blue Square North with higher finishing. How does Novo's finishing make any sense?

Here is my transfers with my Rangers game

IN:

Miguel Torres = £2m

Eidur Gudjohnsen = £2.2m

Sebastian Larsson = £2.7m

Martín Cáceres = Loan

TOTAL = £7m

OUT:

Lee McCulloch = £1m

Sasa Papac = £2m

Brahim Hemdani = £1.2m

TOTAL = £4.2m

I tried to get rid of Velicka and Darcheville but no one wanted Velicka because he had just joined the club. People wanted Darcheville but the wage he is on means that I will struggle to offload him because he rejected every clubs offer for contracts.

I tried to get Marcelo in but didn't have enough money for the initial fee .

I also added Martín Cáceres from Barcelona on loan with me paying nothing in wages. I don't know how I managed to pull it off but still he goes straight into my first team.

Portsmouth are interested in Thomson, I am not sure if I will sell him but we will see.

So far my results have been good, all wins, no goals conceded, however I am not overly impressed with my tactic, I think tweaks need to be made.

I beat Kaunas 3-0 shame we couldn't do this in real life :@

I'm into September in my game at the moment and funnily enough the likes of Cacares and Gudjohnsen haven't appeared on the transfer list like I had hoped.

Anyway, summers signings are:

In:

Emiliano Insua (Loan)

Aquivaldo Mosquera (Loan)

Abubakari Yakubu (1.6m)

Steven Fletcher (2.8m)

Rodney Sneijder (Loan)

Mark Randall (Loan)

Sebastian Larsson (4m)

Out:

Nacho Novo (900k)

Kirk Broadfoot (600k)

Charlie Adam (1.7m)

Brahim Hemdani (1.2m)

Lee McCulloch (1.8m)

I gained added finances by doing the 'request transfer funds' from the board having qualified for the Champions League.

I didn't think I'd get those funds, I was drawn with Athletico Madrid in round 3 of the qualifiers but managed to draw 1-1 at home and 2-2 away to put me through. I'm currently top of my CL group, with Chelsea, Sporting and Twente and I'm 5 goals behind Celtic in the league. Drew the first OF game 1-1.

Current Line up:

GK: Allan McGregor

DR: Steven Whittaker

DC: Aquivaldo Mosquera

DC: Madjid Bougherra

DL: Emiliano Insua

MR: Sebastien Larsson

MC: Pedro Mendes

MC: Kevin Thomson

ML: DaMarcus Beasley

FC: Kris Boyd

FC: Steven Fletcher

Current Priority is another CB, having just missed out on Mark Beevers. I was probably a little fleeced by McLeish at Birmingham for Larssons value, but he has been playing well so no complaints.

i play 4-4-2 and my team is McGregor, Whittaker, Hammell (Awesome Freekicks), Barr, Berra, Davis, Fergie, Mendes, Lafferty, Fletcher and Boyd. Took me ages to get a formation right but have finally nailed one. I sold Mcculloch for 2.5 million and beasley for 3.5 million :D

*EDIT* Steve Davis is a magic player on the right wing, and I never edited Novo and he has 20 goals for me and its April.

I signed.

Berra £3 Million

Barr for about £800K

Fletcher £2.5 Million

James McCarthy £1.6 Million

McArthur £1.2 Million

Hammell £1.5 Million

Mainly getting the best of scottish and its working well, beat Celtic 5-3 at parkhead.

Thanks for all the tips on who to buy for Rangers.

I am going to start my season in the next couple of days, so all this info will be very useful.

Can i ask though if anyone agrees with me that Celtic should be our only fierce rivals in the game?

Both Celtic and Aberdeen are down as fierce rivals (and were on FM08 if i remember correctly) and we dont have any other rivals.

Surely it would be accurate to say that Celtic are our fierce rivals and that Aberdeen are 'other' rivals.

At present it makes Aberdeen seem as much rivals as Celtic, when in real life this is far from the truth.

I am going to start my season in the next couple of days, so all this info will be very useful.

Can i ask though if anyone agrees with me that Celtic should be our only fierce rivals in the game?

Both Celtic and Aberdeen are down as fierce rivals (and were on FM08 if i remember correctly) and we dont have any other rivals.

Surely it would be accurate to say that Celtic are our fierce rivals and that Aberdeen are 'other' rivals.

At present it makes Aberdeen seem as much rivals as Celtic, when in real life this is far from the truth.

I would tend to agree, it's probably more of a rivalry for them than it is us. It's definitely not as big as the Celtic rivalry but it is still a fairly fierce rivalry.

Also, Hearts have been a suprise package in my season so far. Having just claimed top spot from them in mid november it took until the beginning of december for celtic to dislodge them from 2nd, and only did so through winning at Parkhead.

I managed to qualify 2nd from the CL group of Chelsea, myself, Sporting and FC Twente.

I do not see Aberdeen as rivals at all. they are not important enough They may well see us as rivals but they are irrelevant to us. At most they should be listed as other rivals.

The questions you get asked at the press conference makes them sound important. They're not.

Aye, but its the bitter Aberdeen fans that make the rivalry. These are the only games they try in. Most Rangers fans see Aberdeen as insignificant but the Aberdeen fans always want to beat Rangers. I find the rivalry laughable if I am honest.

I won the league on goal difference beating celtic 6-1 at parkhead on the way there. Going into season 2 Fergie would not renew his contract so I sold him. If you plan on keeping him offer him a contract in season 1. I got £5 Million though for a 31 year old so not complaining really.

Been playing FM 2009 since Friday night now, obviously I’m Rangers, so thought I would pass on/look for a few good signings and tactics.

Firstly, I was at work all day Friday and being married with kids etc didn’t get round to installing FM2009 until sometime after 9pm on Friday night, I used the ‘uniloc’ internet option and had no problems whatsoever, up and running within 15 minutes or so. I’d downloaded the patch using ‘bittorrent’ during the day whilst at work.

Pre-Season – Started with the same £1M transfer budget from the demo. As advised by quite a few on here, I offered Papac a new contract extension to avoid problems later. Straight away a few English Premiership teams are sniffing around Thomson, got bids in almost straight away for Hemdani (£750K) and JCD (£250K). Within first week started getting news items about ‘Murray/ takeovers etc.’ which is kinda holding me back, can’t even request a feeder club because of ‘boardroom uncertainty’.

Spent a good few hours sniffing around the transfer market and found some really good bargains, hopefully they will be useful to others on here too:

Edgar Davids – DMC – Free – 35yo – Picked him up for nothing, wages are just under £4K a week and he is brilliant!!! Hasn’t rated below a 7.0 in even one match so far. Great squad player, reduces the wage bill and enables you tell make a bit of money by moving Hemdani on.

There are some really good players available FREE or for minimal amounts e.g. Diego Tristan (approx £250K), Steffano Fiore (£350K), Alessio Tachinardi (FREE), Freddie Ljundberg (£15K). I just sorted all available players under £1M by nationality and looked through them that way.

Tactics wise, after debates on here when using the demo I’m using my original 4-3-3 (3 MC’s and 3 FC) and the 4-1-3-2 mentioned further up the thread, with Edu/Davids sitting in the hole.

Player wise, much the same as the demo. McGregor playing well in goals, I assume he will start getting restless around Xmas again though. Whittaker outstanding at right back, Madjid and Kirk very solid in CD and Papac playing well on the left of defence. Midfield – Edu, Mendes, Davis, Davids and Thomson are all rotating and playing solidly in the middle. Up top, Boyd is still, just like demo, banging them in. Miller is very poor though, so I’m using Lafferty and Novo with Velicka/ McCulloch as back-up. I did use editor to make Novo a ST and put his finishing at 13.

I’ve sent Fleck to the English Championship on loan, Cardiff, and seriously considering terminating Aaron’s loan, is anyone getting anything performance wise from him yet?

The patch seems to have sorted the insane amount of injuries in the game, not had any major ones so far.

Anyone else picked up a good bargain OR found a killer tactic for ‘The Gers’ in the SPL?

I am having a bit of a midfield injury crisis :(. I have had to bring in Miloš Krstić on loan. I also lost McGregor out to injury as well. All my injuries are 2 months or more and I have had 4 of them :(.

The patch seems to have sorted the insane amount of injuries in the game, not had any major ones so far.

Have you installed it?

Can somebody tell me about Isa Bagci???

I brought him up to the 1st team to use as a sub and he did not perform. He is now on loan at Blackpool till the end of the season

In my game the Board takeover happened within 1 week during pre season. Now have Vit Sova as Chairman and he increased the transfer budget to £16,834,659 while pumping in a£67 million investment

Allowed me to get in some strikers - Fred £3.9m (doing pretty well) and Wagner Love £10.25 million (awful but scouts thought he would be good).

Best Transfer for me was Denilson from Palmerias for £825,000. Board and fans love him and he has 10 goals and 6 assists in 17 games playing AML.

I have also noticed that they are really good staff who are not attached to the club and since appointing some additonal coaches my performances are improving.

I brought him up to the 1st team to use as a sub and he did not perform. He is now on loan at Blackpool till the end of the season

In my game the Board takeover happened within 1 week during pre season. Now have Vit Sova as Chairman and he increased the transfer budget to £16,834,659 while pumping in a£67 million investment

Allowed me to get in some strikers - Fred £3.9m (doing pretty well) and Wagner Love £10.25 million (awful but scouts thought he would be good).

Best Transfer for me was Denilson from Palmerias for £825,000. Board and fans love him and he has 10 goals and 6 assists in 17 games playing AML.

I have also noticed that they are really good staff who are not attached to the club and since appointing some additonal coaches my performances are improving.

How's he getting on at Blackpool mate?

13 or 14? You should be changing it to -20.

Archived