Veloso vs Palombo

dz47

Still haven’t got far through the demo, just mostly scouting players etc to get ideas for possible buys when the full game comes out.

I'll be playing first as Arsenal, and definitely going to get a top-notch DM but can’t decide between Veloso and Palombo. I had Veloso on nearly every game in 08, so I know him pretty well but haven’t had Palombo before. Head to head looks like Palombo has much better physical stats, mental stats not so clear cut with Palombo better determination, workrate etc (which I personally love in any player), but Veloso has better anticipation etc. Technically, its a bit split too but Veloso comes up trumps in most areas except tackling, and has good stats for crossing, free kicks etc, pretty much stats I would consider ‘non-essential’ for a DMC. Oh and they are both totally one-footed. In this sense Veloso looks like he would get the nod more as a deep lying playmaker/defensive mid while Palombo would be an all action, tough tackling, never-say-die machine!

So who would you go for?

Or maybe someone different?

Palombo was amazing in 08 and looks to be again this year. Either one is a great choice, Palombo is cheaper I think, but Veloso is younger. I would go Palombo, because the only better true DM's like Javier Mascherano are much more expensive. The other options to keep in mind are Lassana Diarra and Ignacio Camacho(my pick), or if you have a lot of money Javi Martinez.

Still haven’t got far through the demo, just mostly scouting players etc to get ideas for possible buys when the full game comes out.

I'll be playing first as Arsenal, and definitely going to get a top-notch DM but can’t decide between Veloso and Palombo. I had Veloso on nearly every game in 08, so I know him pretty well but haven’t had Palombo before. Head to head looks like Palombo has much better physical stats, mental stats not so clear cut with Palombo better determination, workrate etc (which I personally love in any player), but Veloso has better anticipation etc. Technically, its a bit split too but Veloso comes up trumps in most areas except tackling, and has good stats for crossing, free kicks etc, pretty much stats I would consider ‘non-essential’ for a DMC. Oh and they are both totally one-footed. In this sense Veloso looks like he would get the nod more as a deep lying playmaker/defensive mid while Palombo would be an all action, tough tackling, never-say-die machine!

So who would you go for?

Or maybe someone different?

both players are looking that good becouse their weak foot is very poor. it's becouse researchers left their weak foot at 1, the game highers the stats. it's happening to almost all players with such poor weak foot ability (moutinho, anyukov, zhirkov, pogrebniak, goian, diarra, maggio....). they look great but their CA isn't that good. hopefully this 'bug' will be fixed for FM09 full version.

Yeah i know that has an effect, but to be fair i don’t think its the difference between a top class player and an average player, and I would say that the majority of players on the database seem to be predominantly one footed. And given they are both one-footed, you’re still comparing apples and apples.

Both players were also one-footed on 08 but were still class acts, and I have always figured that having a very weak second foot is probably worse for attacking players anyway. This might not be true in the game, but because I don’t think its every been explained for certain, that’s the assumption I’ve made.

But if you could suggest a two footed DM who would be better, and how would you factor in their ability to play with both feet into their stats, I’ll certainly take on the advice;)

both players are looking that good becouse their weak foot is very poor. it's becouse researchers left their weak foot at 1, the game highers the stats. it's happening to almost all players with such poor weak foot ability (moutinho, anyukov, zhirkov, pogrebniak, goian, diarra, maggio....). they look great but their CA isn't that good. hopefully this 'bug' will be fixed for FM09 full version.

Same thing that happened last year. It balanced it self out fine, with attacking players at least. Actually 2 footed left backs were still really good. Lahm always beat Kolarov in the ratings in my Bayern save. Oh by the way, some people look even better because they get high stats in areas that are meant for other positions. Like Moutinho having a 19 for concentration, 12 for tackling, 13 for marking, and 15 for positioning. These stats aren't weighted heavily for MC's. At least that's how I've understood things to work.

Between Veloso (11.5 - 13mil), Palombo (13.5 - 15mil) and Diarra (4.5 - 5mil), i would have to say its a no contest Diarra wins big, he performs as well as the other 2 and is excellent cover for RB and when re trained also makes a decent AMR, he'll get to the byline but his crosses are ***** :). And if you're in the EPL he speaks english lol

P.S: On the one footedness, i noticed that if you have very one sided CMs the play tends to stay on one side of the pitch, the CMs are rarely able to switch the play on their weak side. Just a casual observation from memory no emprical testing at all :)

......... In this sense Veloso looks like he would get the nod more as a deep lying playmaker/defensive mid while Palombo would be an all action, tough tackling, never-say-die machine!

So who would you go for?

I think you hit the nail on the head here. To me it all depends on if you want the very best true defensive midfielder you can get or if you want someone who is very good at defense but has more versatility. I'd choose Veloso because if I decide to change tactics in the future I think he's very good as a 2-way MC as well. It seems to me that I've seen MDs making their way further forward in this year's match model, but that may just be because I haven't figured tactics out very well and have guys roaming around the pitch. I also have an obsession with buying young players, so the fact Veloso's CA will probably be quite a bit higher in 2-3 years appeals to me. But I doubt you'll be disappointed either way.

I'm an Arsenal fan myself, and I agree with your Diarra comments. But if you go to another club he's probably the more cash-efficient way to go.

And in RL, wouldn't Diarra look good playing with Cesc this season?

I've tried Diarra, Palombo and Veloso, Diarra almost always outperforms the other 2. He settles faster in the EPL (duh), is more versatile and o so much cheaper :). They're all one sided players but diarra's a better overall player, although Palombo is a defensive monster as he's just so strong and also a horse his lack of composure doesn't allow him to maximize his creativity and passing. Veloso's a bit lightweight, amazing technicals and mentals but since he's so one footed and an average athlete he can't dominate defensively and can be neutered offensively by showing him his weak side.

Played with all 3 on the same team twice with arsenal and man city, diarra outperforms everytime, or it could just be my tactics ;)

Actually with the Arsenal Demo in 09 diarra and palombo was my best midfield pairing, as no one could go thr my midfield and all they needed to do offensively is make sure nasri, walcott glichy and sagna had as much of the ball as possible. Sure it's not as pretty as fab's thr balls but probably more effective lol. It helps that this version of Arsenal has serious air power in Ade and Bendtner.

I've got them both, one on a Spurs save and the othe on a City save. Can't really compare as I haven't got far with the one with Veloso in it, but he seemed to score a fair share of goals considering i played him as a defensive midfielder. As for Palombo, he's one of my top players for City but is it me or does he seem slightly injury prone :S He's been out for me twice now both for a lengthy bit of time.

I have bought Diarra and Veluoso, and i have to say both are outstanding performers for me, but Veluoso is just amazing at scoring long range shots, he has scored 5 in 7 games and all amazing, he wins the ball and is been usually my best player in my Man United team, Diarra is also very good defensively and does well passing the ball around and even pushes up creating good openings. play both together and you will not have a problem in the world taking on any midfield

apols for double.

I've seen many recommending Lassana Diarra, but my 19/19 scout doesn't rate him and says only sign him as a last resort. Interesting, although maybe its coz I'm Arsenal and all of the stuff that happened IRL!

I'm actually thinking the best option (maybe not cheapest) is to get Senna (who should be good enough for 2 years looking at his stats) and Camacho (who can be given regular games until ready to take over from Senna!). Although both Veloso and Camacho have very low determination, and I've never liked that in any player, but especially not a DM!

Archived