Although replays did seem to indicate the ref amde the correct decision

When you complain about pens given against your team or "goals" your team scores only for them to be disallowed for offside has anyone ever had any response apart from the fact that you were wrong and the officals right?

Obviously for pens you cannot tell anything from the view incident but I have a few offsides were the replay clearly shows my guy to be onside but I still get the same response icon_confused.gif

When you complain about pens given against your team or "goals" your team scores only for them to be disallowed for offside has anyone ever had any response apart from the fact that you were wrong and the officals right?

Obviously for pens you cannot tell anything from the view incident but I have a few offsides were the replay clearly shows my guy to be onside but I still get the same response icon_confused.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VonBlade:

Yes you can get a "The FA have remained quiet and replays have shown the ref made a mistake".

But it is rare. And with a top down 2d blob it's nearly impossible to tell decisions. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Really icon_eek.gif I obvisouly have not played enough icon_biggrin.gif

Still if this response exists I think it should be more common as we all know how many poor decisions (as refs do a dificult job and the game is very fast etc before some qualified comes on here and slates me) there are every week IRL

As I said obviously you cannot tell for pens from the 2D view incident replay but for offsides by slowing down the speed it is easy to tell if it was right or not and it is annoying when you told the decision was right when you can clearly see it was wrong icon_mad.gif

I find that with offside rulings it is pretty easy to see if they are offside or not and generally the game knows as well and will agree. I normally only get my touchline bans from penalty decisions. The only guess I can make with penalties is whether the player stays on the ground after the challenge. If so I usually give it a try, but have rarely seen it go in my favour.

Offsides = easy

Penalties = impossible

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Klimowicz:

no point making a comment about fouls at all, but i watch the replays in slow motion and comment whenever it is offside. i have recieved the message VonBlade mentioned, but i'm not sure it adds anything to your manager profile, for example. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have stopped commenting for fouls but then one of my players (who had given away the pen) got upset because I didn't defend him icon_frown.gif

I am not bothered about my profile but want to keep my players happy. I have just complained about an obviously onside goal we scored that was given offside and 3 of players are happy that I speak my mind.

I do not understand why if there is a feature in the game that says the decision was wrong you do see it when the replay clearly shows the decision to be wrong icon_confused.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Abaddon879:

I find that with offside rulings it is pretty easy to see if they are offside or not and generally the game knows as well and will agree. I normally only get my touchline bans from penalty decisions. The only guess I can make with penalties is whether the player stays on the ground after the challenge. If so I usually give it a try, but have rarely seen it go in my favour.

Offsides = easy

Penalties = impossible </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thinking about it now maybe this could be an area where your assistant or coaches have more involvement in the game and insted of watching a replay (which you probably saw before anyway!) you could get a list of opions from your staff as to whether it was or wasn't a pen?

i suppose that the club/player loyalty rating can only increase if you defend players like that, but then when you get a touchline ban, the board aren't impressed and you could lose you job over time. but surely if you increase a players opinion of you, you'll get better understanding of tactics and performance levels...

its win/lose, but i can't say i've had to do it much.

On my current save I had a game last season where I goal was disallowed for offside. The player was clearly onside (and by some distance), so of course I complained and the news item said that replays showed the goal to be offside. I'll try and dig it out, because the testing/bugs team might like to have a look at it.

The game doesn't deal with offsides correctly - there have been loads of screenshots and recordings of the official making the wrong offside call, and yet after the complaint is made the game states that 'replays indicate the referee made the correct decision'.

Basically the are two possible problems.

The first is that the media engine and the match engine are unrelated - that the media engine decides that the decision is correct/incorrect based on something other than the actual incident - this could be the referee rating, for example.

The second is that there could be a problem with the match engine itself. The graphical display could be at fault (not displaying players in the actual position the game thinks they are in) or the match engine may not be tracking the back line correctly.

Either way though - it sucks and should be fixed.

There may be a slight problem with the match engine, but to be fair, Tickers, the rules of offside are so confused and convoluted now that it's not always clear in RL. Daylight or no daylight, just lowerbody or upperbody, interferring with play or not...

There isn't much for Paul C and his henchmen to work with until FIFA actually come up with a set of rules that their officials are capable of understanding and enforcing consistently. Even then mistakes will be made frequently and they should be replicated in the match engine. All in all I don't think it does a bad job of emulating the offside mess. The media just needs a good overhaul.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by smass:

There may be a slight problem with the match engine, but to be fair, Tickers, the rules of offside are so confused and convoluted now that it's not always clear in RL. Daylight or no daylight, just lowerbody or upperbody, interferring with play or not...

There isn't much for Paul C and his henchmen to work with until FIFA actually come up with a set of rules that their officials are capable of understanding and enforcing consistently. Even then mistakes will be made frequently and they should be replicated in the match engine. All in all I don't think it does a bad job of emulating the offside mess. The media just needs a good overhaul. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

True, but theres no excuse for players being flagged off when yards onside, and even when level with the guy passing the ball.

The offside decisions in FM08 are absolutely awful- SI need to work on just getting the basics right before throwing in random errors.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by smass:

I guess I just haven't seen it happen any more often than it does in RL for it to stand out as a problem in my game. I must be luckofteny icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Its not so much how often itoften happens (otherwise people would be complaining more), more how it happens.

So it's a case of the player being so far onside that it there's no way it could ever be considered a true reflection of football? There's no way it can be a case of just the odd ludicrous decision and bad officialdom? Does the following media item get it wrong as well?

All in all I don't think it does a bad job of emulating the offside mess. The media just needs a good overhaul. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Smass - well said.

I no I have no right to ask this but I didn't start this thread so people could post about their offsides / onsides and generally slag off SI for the treatment of the offside rule in the game. It was started about the media reaction to such decisions.

I am (only) in my 4th season and have never seen the "FA keep quite as it may have been the wrong decision" comment mentioned in the 2nd post. I believe this should occur much more frequently. I should still get fined or banned as this is what happens IRL but the media should more often side with the "wronged manager" than the refs as lets face all the media loves to have a go at refs IRL.

I take the point about the match engine and players not being exactly where they appear and should not have brought up my offside goal in the thread - I like the fact that things appear to be wrong often as they are IRL - I just want the media to side with me (or the AI managers) and against the refs a bit more as this would be more realistic I believe.

Finally, does anyway have any comment my idea (above) about your assistant and coaching staff all giving their thoughts on whether a pen should or should not have been given rather than just watching 2 circles collide...... icon_confused.gif

So it's a case of the player being so far onside that it there's no way it could ever be considered a true reflection of football? There's no way it can be a case of just the odd ludicrous decision and bad officialdom? Does the following media item get it wrong as well? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah thats pretty much it, and yeah the media gets it wrong too. I think its a known issue though.

Nowhere near as annoying as the one v one issues, or the issues pre-patch though.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by something less annoying:

Don't respond to anything. It's just another part of the game that doesn't work. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Im incapable of resisting- I just complain for the sake of it now. icon_biggrin.gif

I have encountered fining the player for a sending off, him accepting the fine, complaining about the decision and then the FA remaining silent, which was all very peculiar.

I complain about everything, even if I watch the replay and it was or wasn't offside. I'm currently listed as "outspoken manager".

I like responding to the controversy, I like to be that manager who is always on TV "slagging off" the referees.

I have got the FA staying silent twice, but that must be out of about 150-200 incidents.

I always anger my board and stay quiet for about a month, but after that, the badmouthed abuse of the referee comes flowing out again.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Aario: I am (only) in my 4th season and have never seen the "FA keep quite as it may have been the wrong decision" comment mentioned in the 2nd post. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This seemed to work well (for me at least) in FM07. If the replay clearly showed the decision was wrong I would complain, the FA would stay silent, and I would at least feel a bit happier out it.

Unfortunately it seems to have become again in FM08. Very disappointing.

Watch how your players react, if 5 or 6 of them surround the linesman and the match commentary seems to indicate offside and you think it's from the replays then you'll be right more often than you're wrong.If only one or two of your players complains you can be pretty sure they're just trying to cover up their mistakes.

A couple of cliches for you:

Don't let your heart rule your head

If in doubt, say nowt.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by soundian:

Watch how your players react, if 5 or 6 of them surround the linesman and the match commentary seems to indicate offside and you think it's from the replays then you'll be right more often than you're wrong.If only one or two of your players complains you can be pretty sure they're just trying to cover up their mistakes.

If in doubt, say nowt. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good point - I had already noticed that sometimes only one guy complained whilst other times everyone did.

However, my initial point - which I may have helped to loose myself icon_frown.gif - was that the game / media very very rarly says there was a mistake. I think the media should say the officals got it wrong more often as this is whats happens IRL.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by andyinuk:

Use the report instead of the 2D match </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Had not thought of this - will do that and see what info they give there - thanks for the suggestion.

First off, despite the fact that even after the patch offsides and disallowed goals are still grossly out of wack, (I still get at least 2 every 3 games), I am not going to just slag off the match engine.

The media side of FM08 is weak at best. You can never be right when making complaints. Sometimes, I say the ref was wrong - F.A. get ****ed. I say the ref got it right, my players turn on me for 'praising other teams'. I generally only complain when I know from looking at the report and 2D pitch that the decision was wrong. In 9 seasons overall (across 3 games) the F.A. have stayed silent once. Absolute Joke.

There should be an option to choose to complain about certain refs aswell, a la Chelsea vs. Poll, as a certain Scottish referee has sent one of my players off for the last 6 games he has officiated. Complete, utter Joke.

Get it sorted.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Aario:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by soundian:

Good point - I had already noticed that sometimes only one guy complained whilst other times everyone did.

However, my initial point - which I may have helped to loose myself icon_frown.gif - was that the game / media very very rarly says there was a mistake. I think the media should say the officals got it wrong more often as this is whats happens IRL. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think about 80-90% of the time they will not admit to a mistake by the match officials(just like real life), but sometimes they will, you've just got to be almost 100% sure yourself. Even being cautious I still get my knuckles rapped about 50% of the time.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think there may be a misunderstanding here, do correct me if I'm wrong, but I did not mean to imply that the referee making the wrong decision is the issue.

The problem has nothing to do with the complexities of the offside rule, the issue is the way the game is handling data - there is a fairly severe error in the code which causes the information available to the player and the information used by the computer to be contradictory. Something is going wrong in the match engine (ie the computer displays the positions incorrectly, so what it sees and what the player sees in the 2D screen are different), something is going wrong in the media engin (ie it's not calling for the right information) or something is going wrong when the data is transferred from one to the other.

My guess is that the fault is in the media engine, since it's an underwhelming feature that is badly written and generally unpredictable and it was tacked onto the match engine which had been around for a long time. SI's recent record on interactivity in general is pretty bad. Confidence, team talks, media interaction, manager interaction and player interaction are all somewhat less impressive than they promised to be.

Cheers

Tickers

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Aario:

However, my initial point - which I may have helped to loose myself icon_frown.gif - was that the game / media very very rarly says there was a mistake. I think the media should say the officals got it wrong more often as this is whats happens IRL. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think about 80-90% of the time they will not admit to a mistake by the match officials(just like real life), but sometimes they will, you've just got to be almost 100% sure yourself. Even being cautious I still get my knuckles rapped about 50% of the time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sure the FA will not admit a mistake 90% but this is a media comment which more than 90% of the time says replays have shown the officals to be correct.

Apart from the fact that I am in the lower leagues so am not sure if TV will be there at all(!) I don't think the media is as kind to officals IRL. I am happy for the FA to get upset with me and fine / ban me but want the media to say that replays show that I may have had a point. This should probably happen more like 50% of the time I guess....

Also, if the game knows for certain that it was / wasn't a pen / offside then I should know. IRL if you are in the top leagues managers see replays on the sidelines os in clear cut cases they know. This is why I suggested that at the end of the game you could get the opinions of your coaching staff as to whether your team was hard done by or not. The more I think about this the more I think it would be a feature I would like to see in future versions of the game.

Sure the FA will not admit a mistake 90% but this is a media comment which more than 90% of the time says replays have shown the officals to be correct.

Apart from the fact that I am in the lower leagues so am not sure if TV will be there at all(!) I don't think the media is as kind to officals IRL. I am happy for the FA to get upset with me and fine / ban me but want the media to say that replays show that I may have had a point. This should probably happen more like 50% of the time I guess....

Also, if the game knows for certain that it was / wasn't a pen / offside then I should know. IRL if you are in the top leagues managers see replays on the sidelines os in clear cut cases they know. This is why I suggested that at the end of the game you could get the opinions of your coaching staff as to whether your team was hard done by or not. The more I think about this the more I think it would be a feature I would like to see in future versions of the game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry, assumed you were still talking about the FA admitting their mistakes so I missed the word "media" in your reply.

I don't know, it's not often, especially with the new offside rules, that every pundit agrees that it's DEFINITELY offside. Quite often they might all THINK it's offside but that's different.They're even more indistinct about pens, the normal comment being "for me, that's a pen", not "that was definitely a pen, good/bad decision by the ref".

We have the ability to watch replays before commenting so I suppose that's the equivalent of your sideline replays (not much use for pens though).

Yes, a bit more feedback from the AM would be appreciated, but I assume these comments are the equivalent of the post-match interviews so you really shouldn't have that much time to analyse anyway.

I've, for the first time ever, defended the opposition when they were outraged a goal was offside when it wasn't. So I said they can feel hard done by, just for kicks, and loads of my players were happy that I want to see justice done regardless of who is wronged.

Not quite those words, but the sentiment.

Wunderbar.

Also, if the game knows for certain that it was / wasn't a pen / offside then I should know. IRL if you are in the top leagues managers see replays on the sidelines os in clear cut cases they know. This is why I suggested that at the end of the game you could get the opinions of your coaching staff as to whether your team was hard done by or not. The more I think about this the more I think it would be a feature I would like to see in future versions of the game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry, assumed you were still talking about the FA admitting their mistakes so I missed the word "media" in your reply.

I don't know, it's not often, especially with the new offside rules, that every pundit agrees that it's DEFINITELY offside. Quite often they might all THINK it's offside but that's different.They're even more indistinct about pens, the normal comment being "for me, that's a pen", not "that was definitely a pen, good/bad decision by the ref".

We have the ability to watch replays before commenting so I suppose that's the equivalent of your sideline replays (not much use for pens though). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok maybe my 50% was a bit over the top. However, the comment is "seem to indicate that" so they are not completely sure - along the lines of "for me thats a pen" and yet in 4 season I have never seen anything other than the ref was right and the manager (not just me but AI managers in my division) was wrong.

Off the top of my head this season in the Prem I can think of Kalo's goal versus Newcastle, Everton not getting a pen in the Mersyside Derby, Chelsea getting that pen versus Liverpool and Reading being given a pen against Liverpool where all the media was of the opinion that the wrong decision had been made.

I am worried that I am sounding like I am moaning too much here. I am not one of these people who say the game is unplayable etc - this is the only thing I have ever brought up.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Yes, a bit more feedback from the AM would be appreciated, but I assume these comments are the equivalent of the post-match interviews so you really shouldn't have that much time to analyse anyway. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am sure IRL that (even without the replays in the top leagues) all the people on the bench (subs and coaches) would be giving their opinion on things such as pen decisions during the game so by the post game press conference the manager would have an idea if all his staff thought the team had been unlucky or opinion was split. Hence I would like all the people on the bench to respond - maybe 5 options from def was, often given, did not see, sometimes given (but prob not) & def not.

I just feel a bit stupid saying the ref got it wrong only to be told that everybody else thinks he got it right icon_frown.gif. And that over 4 seasons there should have been at least one decision were the media was in argeement that the ref was wrong

Ok maybe my 50% was a bit over the top. However, the comment is "seem to indicate that" so they are not completely sure - along the lines of "for me thats a pen" and yet in 4 season I have never seen anything other than the ref was right and the manager (not just me but AI managers in my division) was wrong.

Off the top of my head this season in the Prem I can think of Kalo's goal versus Newcastle, Everton not getting a pen in the Mersyside Derby, Chelsea getting that pen versus Liverpool and Reading being given a pen against Liverpool where all the media was of the opinion that the wrong decision had been made.

I am worried that I am sounding like I am moaning too much here. I am not one of these people who say the game is unplayable etc - this is the only thing I have ever brought up.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Yes, a bit more feedback from the AM would be appreciated, but I assume these comments are the equivalent of the post-match interviews so you really shouldn't have that much time to analyse anyway. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am sure IRL that (even without the replays in the top leagues) all the people on the bench (subs and coaches) would be giving their opinion on things such as pen decisions during the game so by the post game press conference the manager would have an idea if all his staff thought the team had been unlucky or opinion was split. Hence I would like all the people on the bench to respond - maybe 5 options from def was, often given, did not see, sometimes given (but prob not) & def not.

I just feel a bit stupid saying the ref got it wrong only to be told that everybody else thinks he got it right icon_frown.gif. And that over 4 seasons there should have been at least one decision were the media was in argeement that the ref was wrong </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You've picked out 4 cases out of the >200 games played so far in that league this season which is about as much as you'd play in four seasons.

Can I just clear something up, are you talking about the media or the commentary? I've never seen the media agree (and let's face it, you wouldn't know the media's reaction straight after the match unless you dispensed with the post match team talk and switched the telly on to see what Hansen what saying about it)that the ref was wrong but I've seen the commentary cast doubts on his wisdom, "That was a harsh decision" and "Was that offside?" are two that spring to mind.

I just feel a bit stupid saying the ref got it wrong only to be told that everybody else thinks he got it right icon_frown.gif. And that over 4 seasons there should have been at least one decision were the media was in argeement that the ref was wrong </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You've picked out 4 cases out of the >200 games played so far in that league this season which is about as much as you'd play in four seasons.

Can I just clear something up, are you talking about the media or the commentary? I've never seen the media agree (and let's face it, you wouldn't know the media's reaction straight after the match unless you dispensed with the post match team talk and switched the telly on to see what Hansen what saying about it)that the ref was wrong but I've seen the commentary cast doubts on his wisdom, "That was a harsh decision" and "Was that offside?" are two that spring to mind. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am talking about the post match news items where you can respond with "how did everybody see it but the officals" or "I am disappointed and my team are too" etc etc

Everytime in 4 seasons that either I or the AI managers have complained we have been told (via the media I assume) that "replays have since shown the officals made the correct decision" or "replays seemed to indicate that the officals made the correct decision"

If, as others have said (and I have no reason not to believe them) there is an option that says the officals got it wrong I just feel this should occur much more often.

I am talking about the post match news items where you can respond with "how did everybody see it but the officals" or "I am disappointed and my team are too" etc etc

Everytime in 4 seasons that either I or the AI managers have complained we have been told (via the media I assume) that "replays have since shown the officals made the correct decision" or "replays seemed to indicate that the officals made the correct decision"

If, as others have said (and I have no reason not to believe them) there is an option that says the officals got it wrong I just feel this should occur much more often. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You complain to the media but the "replays seemed to indicate that the officials made the correct decision" is a message, I presume from the FA. So, we were talking about the same thing all along. What you want to see is "FA silent over <manager name> criticism" I think is how it's worded.

I just got a fine confirming that, never mind.

Archived