FM08 Feature Blog: Transfers / Contracts / Bonuses

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fantastic stuff. This game really does get better and better each year, even improving the stuff i didn't think needed that much improving!

I like the fact that clubs will now state what players they would like exchanging in transfer deals, i frequently offer players as part ex (especially when Ass Man states a position they are looking for), but always the bid was rejected without any reason such as "Not THAT left back, we want your star left back"...

One question though, do all players take an equal share in team bonuses at the end of the season, ie will the under 18 striker who i had to play as a sub one game get the same amount as my Goalkepper who hasn't missed a game??

Can't wait for the next blog!

i have a question about the new win bonus stuff. will the amount of bonus each player recieves depend on the number of appearances they make in the competition? or will it just be spread out equally among all players who took any part, including a player who only makes one appearance as sub??

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by migwar:

i have a question about the new win bonus stuff. will the amount of bonus each player recieves depend on the number of appearances they make in the competition? or will it just be spread out equally among all players who took any part, including a player who only makes one appearance as sub?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

From what i have read it gets spread across all the team. Doesnt clarify whether it goes down to reserves u18 etc or whether its based on appearances.

Miles, I ****** love you for the last paragraph there! Just what I wanted! I got a bit scared when,

in the demo thread, you couldn't answer if this had been fixed, as I thought it might have meant that this haven't been done. Awesome news, thanks alot!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Miles Jacobson:

Shandiar/Mugwar - it's pro-rated, with minimum amounts of games needing to be played, just like real life. Not that you ever see that, as it just comes out of your account in one lump sum. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i hope this is a typo, not a personal opinion icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Richard76:

Great stuff yet again.

I really can't wait for the demo now. I don't think my girlfriend will be seeing much of me on sunday. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The joys of being single! icon_biggrin.gif

icon_frown.gif

Seriously though...i dont think I have been this excited since the CM01/02 demo..and i remember it clearly - it was Friday night and quite late and the download was quite large especially for my net connection!

And as I said before in the Day 2 thread..Im really looking forward to the flexible transfer/wage budget! Got so annoyed sometimes when I couldnt sign players because I was out by a few thousand but I had loads of money in the bank! Also on this...can this work for the signing on fees? For instance, if I took some out of wages and into the transfer kitty, will the S/O fee come out of the transfer budget?

As I expected it is all great stuff icon14.gif

I would like some elaboration on the sentence "Wages and appearance fees are now tweaked to be more realistic too" if possible? How is it more realistic?

The last sentence also intrigues me "Tune in again tomorrow for a blog about some of the changes to the news system". Your such a tease Miles icon_wink.gif

Miles, I'm just wondering... what are the consequences of choosing various degrees of bonuses? I mean, I've never really taken much notice of finances in game (Except for my wages and transfer budget) so why would I *not* go ahead and just give my team max bonus? I mean, surely the morale benefits of a huge bonus outweigh a dent in my clubs finances?

(Is expecting to get flames for ignorance towards importance of club's finances in game :p)

Nice update!

I'm especially interested in the pre-contract signings, team based bonus's, and the new transfer screen.

I have a few follow up questions after reading the article.

Regarding the new player exchange system, will the AI club be interested in 2nd team/reserve players at a specific position if they are good enough for the their team, or will it always be your very best person at that position? Second string players at many of the bigger clubs would be first team regulars at most other clubs.

To take the last question further, will the AI team that wants a specific player from your team in exchange put his value into the buying price? From my experience in previous versions, AI teams rarely valued any player you offered in exchange at all and you were usually better off just offering the same amount of straight cash and then selling the player you would have offered. I think the only times I've ever had a part exchange work is when i offered a straight swap and i was offering the more valuable player. Player + cash deals have never worked for me.

Thanks again for the update! FM 2008 is looking great so far. Sunday can't come soon enough anymore!

Miles. I'm a Barnet fan and in real life we have been struggling to sign players because the amount of money a club can spend per year on wages is linked to a projected % of it's annual turnover.

As Barnet have an awful stadium and are in the shadow of giants such as Spurs and Arsenal, getting bums on seats is a HUGE issue and therefore there are many many non-league clubs, (our local rivals Stevenage to name but one), who can afford to pay players significantly more than we can depite the fact that we are a significantly higher reputation club playing in a higher division.

I know that asking us to project out turnover is a bif no-no, but is this something that will be included in 08 (or in the future), maybe with the AI preddicting the future turnover?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MachinegunHead:

Miles, I'm just wondering... what are the consequences of choosing various degrees of bonuses? I mean, I've never really taken much notice of finances in game (Except for my wages and transfer budget) so why would I *not* go ahead and just give my team max bonus? I mean, surely the morale benefits of a huge bonus outweigh a dent in my clubs finances?

(Is expecting to get flames for ignorance towards importance of club's finances in game :p) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Surely the consequence is less money to spend elsewhere?

Will we be given more flexibility in terms of the max values for 'key player' etc.

For example I am 40K+ under my budget, one of my players has a slight concern about moving to a bigger club. So I offer him a new contract as a key player. My board will only allow me 7500 p/w and my player wants 8500 p/w. Will I be given the freedom to increase the wage by that extra 1000 p/w as I am 40K under budget?

Will players still be aware of what your wage budget is and ask for contracts based on this?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by playmaker:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MachinegunHead:

(Is expecting to get flames for ignorance towards importance of club's finances in game :p) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Surely the consequence is less money to spend elsewhere? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You could also have the opposite effect on morale were certain players feel pressured to perform because their manager gave them a large bonus and therefore is expecting wins in return.

Transfer Centre looks great.

Miles, I really like the idea of a single new item detailing who was and who wasn't interested in taking a player on loan. For a big club trying to loan out a lot of youth, this should make pre-season a lot smoother.

Can I trouble you to also touch on whether it should improve the ease of big clubs offering out talented players?

My experience in FM07 was that it was often difficult and time consuming to get anyone to accept a great young player even when offering them with 0 in fees and 0% of the wages.

Cheers.

Just a couple of questions please. Will it be easier to loan players and offer players to clubs. (ie will someone take my wonderkid on loan, instead of "no clubs interested" message.

Also, clubs making enquiries and when you offer them a great deal, they never make a bid?

Looking forward to the game (especially International Management, which should hopefully be more realistic going forward, and being hounded out of a job when things go poo!)

Regards

Rocketpants

• SI Staff

Machinegunhead - there's no set answer. It depends on the players personalities what effect it has - but paying too high bonuses obviously gives you less money to spend elsewhere.

Quavis - again, that depends on the team bidding, and their level according to your team. Obviously a lower team might be interested in a second string player if your team are a top team.

Jimbokav1971 - we're watching how all that works very closely, and when we have a better understanding of it, and the problems and benefits to it, we'll look at adding it in, but that's not at the moment.

Mr.Suck - (I can't type your name, because I don't suck at it icon_smile.gif) If you have excess transfer budget, then this is something you might be able to do, unless your board is blocking it for a reason.

Columnarius - it tells you who isn't interested, not who is. For you to be offered a player on loan, they'd have to be on your shortlist, or be an affiliated club. It's rare that you'd get an offer of a player unless the club know that you're interested - but that's what feeder clubs are for really.

The ability to sign players on pre-contracts is finally here, and is just what we needed. Spotting young talent and only seeing it go to a rival because of lack of contract options was a real pain, but now everything is settled. icon_smile.gif

I'm also looking forward to the transfer budget control, which btw I think is fascinating. It really does help those of us that manage in LLM and have very little transfer and wage budgets, so being able to balance that hand in hand makes it that much easier and more fun to play.

Keep the good stuff coming, Miles.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Jimbokav1971 - we're watching how all that works very closely, and when we have a better understanding of it, and the problems and benefits to it, we'll look at adding it in, but that's not at the moment. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the reply.

I honestly think this will be the best FM since 03/04.

New features which will inprove gameplay and playability - check

Inprovements to things that already make the game fun - check

Match engine reworked - check

More up to date transfer system - check

A snazzy skin - check

Face gen insead of random blokes from Bognor - check

I cannot wait!!!!

Sorry, let me clarify. I was asking about loaning my players out.

FM07 felt difficult to loan my good young players out for free, both due to having to offer and parse so many news items (you covered that one) and having "no one is interested" come back even when the player was talented and the offer was 0 in fees and 0% of salary (a great deal right?).

Am hoping that the loan logic is such that more teams will be interested in taking my talented young player for free.

Just out of interest, does anyone have a spare time machine?

I just want to borrow it so that I can go to Sunday, then you can have it back.

This game is in my vains, it is a drug, where there is no known cure.

It is ok for those people with drug or alcohol addictions, they can go and get help, but what of us, FM addicts? There is no rest or place of solice for us at all.

This is sounding like the BEST game ever!!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">can someone be super nice and email me the blogs so far...........cannot view due to firewall. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cant you alter your firewall to allow access to the forums?

Anyway great blogs so far and you definitely have my vote for PM icon_wink.gificon14.gif

miles why you didnt add an option that we can sign players for a year and and the secod year can be an option it means that if we want to play he will stay if not we can get rid of him and not pay him nothing in real life some teams sign players like that cus thay dont want to take a risk

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by drox:

miles why you didnt add an option that we can sign players for a year and and the secod year can be an option it means that if we want to play he will stay if not we can get rid of him and not pay him nothing in real life some teams sign players like that cus thay dont want to take a risk </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can? You can loan a player for a season and set a fee after the loan is complete if you wish to sign the player.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jjnjnkj@hotmail.com:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by drox:

miles why you didnt add an option that we can sign players for a year and and the secod year can be an option it means that if we want to play he will stay if not we can get rid of him and not pay him nothing in real life some teams sign players like that cus thay dont want to take a risk </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can? You can loan a player for a season and set a fee after the loan is complete if you wish to sign the player. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

but if he has a contract for three years i will need to loan him again or to relese him and i will need to pay him

Really looking forward to the demo and the game itself icon_smile.gif However two questions at the moment:

1) Are signing players on loan with a view to a permanent transfer ("future fee" in FM) now easier? Because thus far I've been unable to make this very realistic and good option to any use, because I can't make a good enough offer and clubs are unwilling to negotiate (AI clubs reach compromises seemingly very easily).

2) When getting in job applicants (for vacant jobs like scout, coach etc.), there is usually a huge list of names and choosing one or two persons out of that list is very demanding of an FM player (one is memorize, other is pen & paper probably). I've suggested here the chance to tell some of the applicants "NO" like any decent employer would IRL. In FM it would be nice to see these names then disappear. It would serve the purpose of making a selection easier by having less names and their ratings to deal with. Has anything similar been implemented?

If they can't be answered, that's OK.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jjnjnkj@hotmail.com:

You can? You can loan a player for a season and set a fee after the loan is complete if you wish to sign the player. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He didnt mention loans, did he? icon_wink.gif

Archived