save games from old to new fm

but isnt a save nothing more than some statistics about teams (players bought, position) it should be possible to just put it up in a new fm, and all the additions just start running from that moment.

EDIT: just like editing teams in the database editor, but than its a save instead

Nope, not really. Its massively complicated and would cause untold problems and that isnt something FM needs right now...

Would be great yes, but the reality would be a nightmare to implement.

What I have thought in the past though - is that your 'history' should somehow be supported in susequent games. It doesnt really need to say what season/which team you won the league with but it'd be nice (maybe) if you could start 09 with the game aware you were a title winning manager from your previous game. Then we could ignore (if you so wished) the 'International Player' etc options when creating a new manager/game. Ho hum.

Cannot? Cannot be done? How dare you Sir :) Anything can be done through the power of code and machine.

It's not unlike writing a document with Office 2007 and loading it into 2003 or vice versa. It's not entirely unlike carrying your save game over into the latest patched version of the game. The problem is, the further the products are apart (new features, new implementation of original code) the more hassle it is to account for everything.

It could be done - but its not worth the effort for all the stuff that would need to be handled. Perhaps some old save data might not be used (e.g. if the new game had no player of the season function that data would be redundant) and any new features would start from scratch without a history (e.g. if player of the season was a new feature, and you had played up to 2058 in the old game, there would be no history for player of the season for the past 50 years).

Full of holes and quite possibly a gazillion array access out of bounds errors )))

• 3 weeks later...

I'm convinced this could be done. Even if it's not done by SI.

I'm no programmer (so it's true I don't know what I'm talking about :p) but if it's possible to create an editor that opens an FM08 saved game database and allows you to change and save values it, then surely it would be possible to export that save into a format FM09 understands?

Sure, maybe not everything could be translated perfectly, but any new variables (or whatever) could be given default values and then could be picked up from there. All that really matters is your players and their stats, plus your competition progress that season.

Perhaps it wouldn't be perfect, but it would still be a fantastic way to keep enjoying your old games with the benefit of the new features.

Any clever soul up to the challenge?

I'm convinced this could be done. Even if it's not done by SI.

I'm no programmer (so it's true I don't know what I'm talking about :p) but if it's possible to create an editor that opens an FM08 saved game database and allows you to change and save values it, then surely it would be possible to export that save into a format FM09 understands?

Sure, maybe not everything could be translated perfectly, but any new variables (or whatever) could be given default values and then could be picked up from there. All that really matters is your players and their stats, plus your competition progress that season.

Perhaps it wouldn't be perfect, but it would still be a fantastic way to keep enjoying your old games with the benefit of the new features.

Any clever soul up to the challenge?

I'm a software developer and to be honest it sounds like a complete nightmare that is just not worth the hassle. There are so many code changes each year, that it would be near impossible to account for every single possible difference between games. SI certainly wouldn't do it as it would jeopardise the development of fm10, and for a single person to take up the challenge would be like Gary Glitter managing to convince the world that he's just a very nice man that adores children. (I'll be dead before either of those things happen).

I'm a software developer and to be honest it sounds like a complete nightmare that is just not worth the hassle. There are so many code changes each year, that it would be near impossible to account for every single possible difference between games. SI certainly wouldn't do it as it would jeopardise the development of fm10, and for a single person to take up the challenge would be like Gary Glitter managing to convince the world that he's just a very nice man that adores children. (I'll be dead before either of those things happen).

I asked for a Clever Soul. Not a Rare Soul! ;)

I completely understand where you're coming from and why SI wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. Like I said, I wan't talking about making it a flawless conversion, but just keeping the team and competition progress intact.

My reasoning was just that if someone can create a save game editor for FM08 and presumably there will also be one for FM09, then there must be the skills out there to read from and write to them both. Therefore, why would it not be possible to make a tool that can convert one format to the other?

I don't know how the save games are formatted and acted upon by the program though. So perhaps it is like saying that a car should be able to run on water because petrol and water are both liquid!

• 11 months later...

Surely it would be possible to write something that reads the save game data and writes specific fields into the new editor?

Edited teams and players might be tricky, but newly created players, either from a user-created database or regens could be read in. Some data might be missing but it would be a start.

Obviously the whole thing would be difficult, but I can't believe it's not possible.

Failing that, a more rough-and-ready idea could be to write something that reads all the data and then dumps it into a text file so you can copy and paste it into the new editor. This would of course only be good if you want to update a few things (a couple of squads or a user-created league for example) and not the entire database.

Archived