Play 'old-school' and succeed!

Yup, as the subject suggests, I am using just the commentary when I play matches with the useless 8.0.1 update and I am actually, and literally flying at the moment!

I am sitting on top of Serie A with AC Milan, unbeaten and with a 10 point lead aswell. I expect to finish with nearly 100 goals and also 100 points, and that would give me my 2nd Serie A championship on the trot. I started playing my matches this way last season at around match week 28 as so many games were leaving me with one goal scored with about 40 shots on goal and it was cheesing me right off. I remembered someone mentioning that they were faring far better with just the commentary on, and so I decided to see if this would help me - and of course it has.

So basically what I am saying is... is if you want to have a better opportunity at winning matches, then revert back to the days when there wasn't such a thing as the 2D match engine. Go back to commentary and watch your team play better (and score more too!).

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yup, as the subject suggests, I am using just the commentary when I play matches with the useless 8.0.1 update and I am actually, and literally flying at the moment!

I am sitting on top of Serie A with AC Milan, unbeaten and with a 10 point lead aswell. I expect to finish with nearly 100 goals and also 100 points, and that would give me my 2nd Serie A championship on the trot. I started playing my matches this way last season at around match week 28 as so many games were leaving me with one goal scored with about 40 shots on goal and it was cheesing me right off. I remembered someone mentioning that they were faring far better with just the commentary on, and so I decided to see if this would help me - and of course it has.

So basically what I am saying is... is if you want to have a better opportunity at winning matches, then revert back to the days when there wasn't such a thing as the 2D match engine. Go back to commentary and watch your team play better (and score more too!).

I've advocated this for a long time for those moaning about the match engine.

SI never had half the complaints before the 2D match engine arrived, but since, people ALWAYS complain about "super" keepers, 1v1, etc...

I'm unaware if it makes any difference to results in reality, but I'm sure that someone will pop up with a "detailed examination... with proof!!" soon enough.

The key influences as is well known, are to do with reputation, tactics, players, team-talks, media interaction, plus alot more than just how the match engine is viewed.

I'm not saying there are'nt issues that are proven to exist. I just believe that people are taking things completely out of proportion.

Bobby B... what you must ask yourself is...

If your feelings are that this is a pointless thread, why did you

a. read it

b. respond to it, to tell everyone that you think it is a pointless thread.

If someone thought enough about it to post a thread, then it must not have been pointless to them, respect peoples opinions rather than tainting this forum with beratings of other users.

Many thanks

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by niktheblade1:

This is a strange topic, I seem to do better when I slow the speed down, If I put it on full speed, FM seems to think "well, if you can't be bothered to watch, you will lose every match" I thought it was just coincidence but now you mention it.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Or to be logical for a moment, maybe because youre watching it slower you can see what's happening better and have more time to implement changes.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by niktheblade1:

a. read it

If someone thought enough about it to post a thread, then it must not have been pointless to them, respect peoples opinions rather than tainting this forum with beratings of other users.

Many thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Berating - yea ; whatever.

Its like saying watching the TV with the sound turned off is going to change what happens in the program. It reduces your understanding of whats going on , but it doesn't change whats going on.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gypsum:

It's because you no longer see the "bugs" in the game, and therefore they don't bother you any more. Which only goes to show that what you were complaining about in the first place was an embelishment of the mind. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well no , because if you follow the stats at the end of the game , and it says 30 shots , 19 on target. And you haven't managed to score , the bug still exists. Just means that your choosing not to watch them happen.

ALl i know is, when i watch the match Full speed, commentary only, with the view of the screen as "human stats" (home or away, depending on where im playing), i seem to win. If i watch highlights, or leave it on the "overview" or "match stats" screen, or have it on split view, or anything else, it causes problems. icon_smile.gif

I know its in my head, but i dont care.

Actually, I just tried this, was having 25+ shots on goal, scoring only 1 or two a game, conceeding aswell.

Switched to commentary only, I'm having more like 10 shots, 3 goals every game. Coincedence?

I understand that the game undergoes the "same" proccesses no matter what view you pick apparently but it is quite suspicious how the stats are working out.

I just saved, played a game twice in 2D view, same tactics same players, lots of shots, then I tried the same game twice in commentary only, had more like 10 shots again.

Is this just stupid luck?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BobbyB123:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gypsum:

It's because you no longer see the "bugs" in the game, and therefore they don't bother you any more. Which only goes to show that what you were complaining about in the first place was an embelishment of the mind. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well no , because if you follow the stats at the end of the game , and it says 30 shots , 19 on target. And you haven't managed to score , the bug still exists. Just means that your choosing not to watch them happen. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But he didn't say that. He said he wasn't having the problem.

This is easy to check.

You can tick the option in setting which says something to the effect: reset the random seed when reloading the game. Then save the game right before a game starts.

Play the game on 2D record the stats. Then quit and replay the same game "old school". Compare the stats. They should be the same if the 2D does not make a difference.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ifllorescu:

This is easy to check.

You can tick the option in setting which says something to the effect: reset the random seed when reloading the game. Then save the game right before a game starts.

Play the game on 2D record the stats. Then quit and replay the same game "old school". Compare the stats. They should be the same if the 2D does not make a difference. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well no , because certain factors can change the course of a game. For example an early goal , injury / sending off , and substitutions.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BobbyB123:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ifllorescu:

This is easy to check.

Play the game on 2D record the stats. Then quit and replay the same game "old school". Compare the stats. They should be the same if the 2D does not make a difference. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well no , because certain factors can change the course of a game. For example an early goal , injury / sending off , and substitutions. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Surely, an early goal is created by the random seed which is the same in every game. Thus, both would give the same early goal in exactly the same minute.

Setting the seed for the pseudo random number generator in Mathlab C or whatever language you use to write your code would result in the same numbers being generated every time.

However, I do not know about random events and stuff (outside the match engine). That is why one needs to save right before the start of the game and use the same exact players and tactics.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Starr_Man5:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ackter:

Nope, wouldn't happen like that. Will be a different match every time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon14.gificon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually it would happen like that. If only there would be a way to restart with the same random seed.

I apologize for posting before checking. I looked and there is no easy way to reset the seed. I must have thinking about the Fifa Manager game which I believe has an option like that.

Back in CM 06~ the only way I could win was by running around the room pretending to be Eric Cantona blasting imaginary footballs into the back of an imaginary net. Nowadays, after 12 or so years of playing it from the age of 7, I don't have to resort to such cheating (except in european cup finals).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Starr_Man5:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ackter:

Nope, wouldn't happen like that. Will be a different match every time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There is a program that you can use so it will play out the exact same scenario each time. Somebody on here did a test with it a while back to see how much effect Team Talks have on an outcome, using that, you could play the game in 2d match engine, then replay the match doing the EXACT same things "old school" and see what the outcome will be...

a. read it

he had to read it first to decide it was pointless.

if he hadn't read it then his view would have meant nothing.

and the fact he responded has nothing to do with whether its a pointless thread or not icon_confused.gif

a. read it

Berating - yea ; whatever.

Its like saying watching the TV with the sound turned off is going to change what happens in the program. It reduces your understanding of whats going on , but it doesn't change whats going on. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

wahey for new analogys icon14.gif lets put the car one to bed now icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by heathxxx:

I've advocated this for a long time for those moaning about the match engine.

SI never had half the complaints before the 2D match engine arrived, but since, people ALWAYS complain about "super" keepers, 1v1, etc...

I'm unaware if it makes any difference to results in reality, but I'm sure that someone will pop up with a "detailed examination... with proof!!" soon enough.

The key influences as is well known, are to do with reputation, tactics, players, team-talks, media interaction, plus alot more than just how the match engine is viewed.

I'm not saying there are'nt issues that are proven to exist. I just believe that people are taking things completely out of proportion. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As somebody who has been on these boards in various guises since CM2, I can assure you that the perception of, and complaints about "superkeepers" have always been with CM/FM.

Although in this version there is actually a lot of substance in it- purely because under certain conditions its easy to create over 25 chances (many of them clearcut one v ones) every single game, for whatever reason many are just shot straight at the keeper. Not so much superkeepers but certainly a genuine issue.

The only myth I can see is that the 2D gives different results.

No it doesnt- its just Cafe's perception. Perception is a very powerful and misleading thing.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NepentheZ:

There is a program that you can use so it will play out the exact same scenario each time. Somebody on here did a test with it a while back to see how much effect Team Talks have on an outcome, using that, you could play the game in 2d match engine, then replay the match doing the EXACT same things "old school" and see what the outcome will be... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yes, there are systems as vmware that let you create an environment and so you can play the SAME game as many times as you want to. People has tested it, but I never was capable of configure it properly XDDDD

Wow.. didn't expect so many to comment in my thread!

Everything that has been said in this thread has to be taken into consideration. I understand that watching either the 2d engine or just the commentary uses the same methods, but I did what I said I would do and played 8 matches in 2d and then the same games in just commentary and it came out like this.. starting with 2d.

2D Match Engine:

A) Catania L 0-1

MIL 30 shots on goal, 12 on target.

CAT 4 shots on goal, 1 on target.

H) Inter D 1-1

MIL 29 shots on goal, 21 on target.

INT 2 shots on goal, 2 shots on target.

H) Lazio W 2-1

MIL 7 shots on goal, 6 on target.

LAZ 7 shots on goal, 2 on target.

A) Sampdoria L 1-3

MIL 16 shots on goal, 8 on target.

SAM 5 shots on goal, 4 on target.

H) Atalanta L 0-1

MIL 23 shots on goal, 16 on target.

ATA 7 shots on goal, 1 on target.

A) Chievo Verona D 0-0

MIL 11 shots on goal, 3 on target.

CHI 4 ***** on goal, 0 on target.

H) Livorno W 3-1

MIL 38 shots on goal, 18 on target.

LIV 6 shots on goal, 3 on target.

A) AS Roma L 1-4

MIL 17 shots on goal, 10 on target.

ASR 6 shots on goal, 5 on target.

Just Commentary:

A) Catania W 2-1

MIL 11 shots on goal, 6 on target.

CAT 2 shots on goal, 2 on target.

H) Inter W 3-0

MIL 9 shots on goal, 4 on target.

INT 5 shots on goal, 1 shots on target.

H) Lazio D 2-2

MIL 6 shots on goal, 3 on target.

LAZ 5 shots on goal, 2 on target.

A) Sampdoria W 1-0

MIL 7 shots on goal, 3 on target.

SAM 5 shots on goal, 2 on target.

H) Atalanta W 5-0

MIL 19 shots on goal, 11 on target.

ATA 4 shots on goal, 0 on target.

A) Chievo Verona W 2-0

MIL 7 shots on goal, 5 on target.

CHI 5 ***** on goal, 2 on target.

H) Livorno W 4-1

MIL 14 shots on goal, 8 on target.

LIV 5 shots on goal, 3 on target.

A) AS Roma W 3-2

MIL 7 shots on goal, 3 on target.

ASR 8 shots on goal, 6 on target.

I think this shows that there must be something going on. This surely cannot be regarded just as a simple coincidence? The results are just TOO different. If the results on slightly changed, then yes, I would say either nothing has changed, or it's a simple coincidence, but these results have huge differnces compared to the 2D results. It might well be just a fluke, but I'm going to stick with what I orginally said at the start of this thread - Playing with just commentary has a more fairer and more realistic outcome.

Stupid question. How do I turn the game to commentary only? I might try this as I gave up on FM08, downloaded CM08 demo, found it to be crap, contemplated buying Fifa Manager, preferred suicide then just went back to FM07 and had fun again.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by George Graham:

Just Cafe's perception. Perception is a very powerful and misleading thing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You only used 8 games to test your theory out, also if you are just saving the game, trying 8 games with 2d engine and then reloading the game and trying those same 8 games with just commertary how is this a good way to test your theory. Because once you reload that game it can change how a result comes out. There are plenty of varibles which can be effected if you just reload and try it again.

I am sorry but weather you watch it with 2D engine or the commentary it doesn't effect the result. Its all in your mind!

a. read it

Well in truth he had to read to find out it was a pointless thread icon_wink.gif (sry just in a pedantic mood)

But yeh the engine is the same it does not react to what view you are using.

No its really perfectly true. As soon as i swtich to commentary only, my strikers actually dribble around the goalkeeper and shoot at the corners of the goals!

The guy that used 8 matches and someone complained - come on, look at how different the match stats were there! Take your blinkers off.

I also don't have the ridiculous amounts of shots problem when i have commentary only on!

How strange :/

8 matches would not be an appropriate sample size. At a minimum, you would have to run the season several times for both Commentary Only and 2-D. That's because every time you play a season, you will have varying results simply by chance (for example, if you were to play a match, quit without saving, reload, play the match, quit without saving, etc, etc, you would not see the same match played out the same way repeatedly). I would think that, to get any kind of statistical certainty, you would need to run the season about 30 times each way.

I'm not suggesting you do this. I wouldn't be bothered unless I had a viable theory as to what, specifically, might change in the game engine between Commentary Only and 2-D, and why.

The only thing I can think of is what Ackter said earlier - your reaction to the game may change based on what you see on the screen.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gunnerfan:

8 matches would not be an appropriate sample size. At a minimum, you would have to run the season several times for both Commentary Only and 2-D. That's because every time you play a season, you will have varying results simply by chance (for example, if you were to play a match, quit without saving, reload, play the match, quit without saving, etc, etc, you would not see the same match played out the same way repeatedly). I would think that, to get any kind of statistical certainty, you would need to run the season about 30 times each way.

I'm not suggesting you do this. I wouldn't be bothered unless I had a viable theory as to what, specifically, might change in the game engine between Commentary Only and 2-D, and why.

The only thing I can think of is what Ackter said earlier - your reaction to the game may change based on what you see on the screen. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No thats rubbish - its pretty clear to see that things are different even after 10 games if you run them all again.

I'm using a tactic that i would have 35+ shots on goal per game and not score a single goal when i watched highlights. I switched to commentary without reloading, and guess what, i had no more than 20 shots during a game and i could score easily, also i wouldn't concede to my opponents only shot on target.

I then reloaded the game, used highlights only, match engine buig came back.

Reloaded again, used only commentary from the start, no bug!

I've played half a season on my Southampton game on commentary only.

Before the AI had cracked my tactics.

On commentary only, I am winning most of my games and having about 20 shots on goal a game.

If only the opposition goalkeepers weren't getting an averaging rating of 7.89 against me!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wakers:

No thats rubbish - its pretty clear to see that things are different even after 10 games if you run them all again.

I'm using a tactic that i would have 35+ shots on goal per game and not score a single goal when i watched highlights. I switched to commentary without reloading, and guess what, i had no more than 20 shots during a game and i could score easily, also i wouldn't concede to my opponents only shot on target.

Reloaded again, used only commentary from the start, no bug! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Never took statistics in school, did you?

Your sample size is way too small, because you don't know if the differences you saw in play were the result of an actual problem, or simply due to chance variations in game play. The patterns that you describe are possible across a wide variety of game situations - in fact, I have had similar experiences using ONLY 2-D.

To test for statistical validity, you would need a large enough sample size so that you could see how much variation there was in game play within Commentary only and within 2-D only, and then see if there was significantly greater variation between the two groups.

Also, I have yet to hear a plausible explanation as to why there would be any difference in gameplay between the two - other than what in another time and place would be called superstition.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JR866Gunner:

ive started to do it old skool except i have goal highlights on aswell so my matches dont take quite so long to get through! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ive breen using this way since fm07 and its worked well for me. i wouldnt say i was flying but i havent had half the shots to goal ratio problems as everyone else seems to have

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gunnerfan:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wakers:

Reloaded again, used only commentary from the start, no bug! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Never took statistics in school, did you?

Your sample size is way too small, because you don't know if the differences you saw in play were the result of an actual problem, or simply due to chance variations in game play. The patterns that you describe are possible across a wide variety of game situations - in fact, I have had similar experiences using ONLY 2-D.

To test for statistical validity, you would need a large enough sample size so that you could see how much variation there was in game play within Commentary only and within 2-D only, and then see if there was significantly greater variation between the two groups.

Also, I have yet to hear a plausible explanation as to why there would be any difference in gameplay between the two - other than what in another time and place would be called superstition. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hello, yes i did actually. We don't know a plausable reason, we didn't make the game.

But look - you don't need a huge sample to CLEARLY see a difference!

If I play 10 games with my Blyth team using Croat's set of tactics, key highlights on, i get the bugged match engine - 25-35 shots, no goals opponent has 3 shots on target scores all 3.

If i reload, play with only commentary - not only do i have less shots, i can sore. the most amazing thing is, my striker will be one on one and shoot for the corners. This does not happen viewing highlights!

It happens EVERY single time i try it. I do not need to run a whole season. There is a huge, and OBVIOUS difference when switcing between commentary only and key highlights.

I've tried it 5 times now, every time the same result. OPEN YOUR DAMN EYES and stop blindly defending the game by arguing about insignificant little points.

Archived