+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Football manager 2009 demo

Default Football manager 2009 demo

THE DEMO IS NOW LIVE

The Vanilla demo, which is approx 175MB, will be available for PC or Mac, and available exclusively from the News of the Worlds website, with the files hosted by the nice people at Gameshadow.

It will feature UK English only, language wise, and English and Scottish quickstarts, with no "assets" (such as player pictures, logos, stadiums and pitch textures). You can play for half a season, and continue your saved game when the full game is out.

You can get the vanilla version of the demo (PC or Mac) from www.newsoftheworld.co.uk

The Strawberry demo, which is approx 1GB, will also be available for PC or Mac, and will be available 3 ways via STEAM (our recommended route - but PC only), a torrent file, and a direct download (hosted by the nice people at Gameshadow).

To download the STEAM client, for free, go to www.steampowered.com, where you can read all about STEAM.
    Language wise it has - English, Danish, Dutch, French, Italian, Norwegian, Portuguese, Spanish, Swedish.
    Leagues playable (via quickstarts) - England, Scotland, France, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Norway, Denmark, Sweden, Brazil, Argentina & Indonesia. So 12, rather than the previously announced 10.

The strawberry version of the demo is available from

STEAM (PC Only) - http://store.steampowered.com/app/10570/
    Torrent (PC) - http://torrents.sigames.com:7000/torrents/fm2009_gold_demo-pc.exe.torrent?D30C836D20282E61500B0D69514669B7DFD A9BF4
    Torrent (Mac) - http://torrents.sigames.com:7000/torrents/fm2009_gold_demo-mac.zip.torrent?A7C6364918933D101B05687A49B68A304D D26BEA
    Download (PC) -
    http://www.gameshadowbeta.com/fm2009...erry/index.asp
    Download (Mac) -
    http://www.gameshadowbeta.com/fm2009...erry/index.asp

A demo for WWSM will follow next week.

There will also be other versions of the demo available in the coming weeks/months, and I will update this thread as I am allowed to announce them with more info.

The first of these is in Australia, 442 magazine will be covermounting a special exclusive A-League demo of the game, although I do not have a date for the issue of the magazines release as yet (I expect it will be after the release of the game, unfortunately, due to the time it takes to print the discs).
    Last edited by Neil Dejyothin; 02-11-2008 at 18:01.

Banned

Default Re: More demo information

Cheers Miles, can't wait. Will be downloading the vanilla version though as I want to concentrate on the English game; initially anyway

Amateur

Sounds good. Cheers for the update.

Amateur

Can't wait!!!

Amateur

Why do we have to wait til midnight. Im sure its ready - put it up now !

Sports Interactive Paul Dejyothin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Burty76 View Post
    Why do we have to wait til midnight. Im sure its ready - put it up now !
    I couldn't be so cruel and tell you I have the mouse cursor hovering over the 'go, go, go' button

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Dejyothin View Post
    I couldn't be so cruel and tell you I have the mouse cursor hovering over the 'go, go, go' button
    Youre an evil man.
    Just click it. You know you want to.

Part-Timer

The anticipation is killing me! Don't know if I can play demo at midnight, because in Romania it will be 2 am when the demo gets released. So I will have to wait till the morning. I'm deffinetly getting the Strawberry demo.

Amateur
    The typical AJAX combination of TIPS is best expressed in creative and, therefore, attacking footbol

Quote Originally Posted by Miles Jacobson View Post
    Language wise it has - English, Danish, Dutch, French, Italian, Norwegian, Portuguese, Spanish, Swedish.
    Leagues playable (via quickstarts) - England, Scotland, France, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Norway, Denmark, Sweden, Brazil, Argentina & Indonesia. So 12, rather than the previously announced 10.

There will also be other demos available in the coming weeks/months, and I will update this thread as I am allowed to announce them with more info.
    Will there be a Netherlands quick start a few days after the initial release of the demo, is there one planned?
    Last edited by Marz; 01-11-2008 at 12:46.

Amateur

Why is Steam the recommended way of getting the game. I don't really know much about Steam, am just a little wary of having to install more software to be able to download the game. What are the advantages of this?

Amateur

cool, cant wait (Y)

Amateur

damn, no a-league quickstart! oh well, thanks anyway

That is cruel Paul. And it's true for only one of the ways of releasing it.

The reason for the midnight start is that that is the time that the News of the World is available, so the time that that version can become available.

We also have a lot of work to do to ensure that it's all working properly, and that the download speeds are OK. With the popularity of our demo's, and how badly we've been hit in the past with the interweb not being able to handle the traffic, we're trying to be regimented with the way we release to try and make is easy for you to be able to get the demo when it is live.

Amateur

are we able to add our own mirrors?

Amateur

You're a wicked, wicked man

Quote Originally Posted by edwingray View Post
    Why is Steam the recommended way of getting the game. I don't really know much about Steam, am just a little wary of having to install more software to be able to download the game. What are the advantages of this?
    1. Superfast bandwidth from a trusted developer, and a trusted platform.
    2. One of the ways to authenticate the full game will be via STEAM
    3. Automatic patching of the full game is you are authenticated via STEAM and using their client.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnie View Post
    are we able to add our own mirrors?
    Not initially Jonnie, no - if we decide we need mirrors, we will post asking for them, but we are hopeful that there will be no need. Mirror links will be deleted unless requested by us, and approved by us via email (and the email address will only be given out if we request them).

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Miles Jacobson View Post
    That is cruel Paul. And it's true for only one of the ways of releasing it.

The reason for the midnight start is that that is the time that the News of the World is available, so the time that that version can become available.

We also have a lot of work to do to ensure that it's all working properly, and that the download speeds are OK. With the popularity of our demo's, and how badly we've been hit in the past with the interweb not being able to handle the traffic, we're trying to be regimented with the way we release to try and make is easy for you to be able to get the demo when it is live.
    I don't mind the wait but it would have been nice to have it today. It's only 12 hours!

Amateur

No one should be scared of steam.

I've used it for years and it has never been any problem. As Miles said, it is very, very quick and can handle lots of activity.

It's harmless and can be used offline as well as on so don't be worried about it.

Amateur

Talking Re: More demo information

Wouldnt it be great if torrent demo files could be released earlier for peeps to share ....but i know its not gonna happen lol. Quick question regarding Strawberry demo - will it have any player pics or logos eg. spanish league

International Squad
    MLG definitely an attendance obsessed Rain Man-esque Idiot Savant - obviously more Idiot than Savant

Just a quick question with the quickstarts - which database size would they be based on?

(just so I can get cracking tonight with some logo stuff for clubs)

Quote Originally Posted by Golden28 View Post
    You're a wicked, wicked man
    *whistles away*

Amateur
    Ministry of Serendipity - Mornington Crescent

Shame its not available to pre-load on steam like they normally do that way it would be ready when i get in from work

Hopefully the misses will drink to much at the fireworks tonight so gives me a good few hours with the game before she notices :P
    Last edited by 2BitCharlie; 01-11-2008 at 12:51.

Amateur

Is the only differnece with Vanilla and strawberry the leagues does strawberry last longer than half a season ?? ..

Part-Timer

I wonder if the site will go down again this year.

Third Team

Quote Originally Posted by McGann10 View Post
    Is the only differnece with Vanilla and strawberry the leagues does strawberry last longer than half a season ?? ..
    No it doesn't. Both last 6 months. Strawberry has more playable leagues, languages, & graphics (kits, logos, etc) included.

Amateur

Strawberry includes all the graphic files such as player pics, club badges etc etc

Amateur

Strawberry includes all the graphic files such as player pics, club badges etc etc
    Isnt it only for leagues that SI have permission to do eg. spanish and holland ??

Amateur

I know this is a unlikely but can this steam (which granted I know nothing about) download things when the computer is off? So it will automatically download the demo at 12 ready for when I turn it on? Or is that wishful thinking?

Amateur

So is the Strawberry demo the exact same game that will be released on the 14th or will there be some features missing?

Third Team

Quote Originally Posted by jamesb123 View Post
    I know this is a unlikely but can this steam (which granted I know nothing about) download things when the computer is off? So it will automatically download the demo at 12 ready for when I turn it on? Or is that wishful thinking?
    Steam can't do that as far as I know

Third Team

Quote Originally Posted by private pyle View Post
    So is the Strawberry demo the exact same game that will be released on the 14th or will there be some features missing?
    Some small features like the option to go on holiday will be left out iirc.

Banned
    Originally posted by ajw10: I'd be done with AFC if Coq went on loan!

*whistles away*
    I am so wanting to report you for teasing! haha.

Part-Timer

looking forward to it..

Semi Pro

Idea for next year, or today if possible.

I know with a lot of direct to drive schemes like steam, it's possible to pre-download the bulk of the game, with a few small key files held back until release. If the demo's good to go right now, why not let us download 99% of it from steam now? Leave us a little to grab at midnight, and it'll be smoother...

Second idea: Email me asking my phone number. Call me up and arrange to meet me at the Angel later today. Hand my a copy of FM09 in a brown paper bag as an early birthday present. I may be able to arrange sex with my other half as payment, but I've not raised the issue with her yet.

Part-Timer

Quote Originally Posted by jamesb123 View Post
    The problem isnt that Steam cant download it.. its more that your harddrive has no power and therefore cannot write anything to disk :P

Semi Pro

The differences are:

Leagues available.
    Player pictures
    Kit pictures.
    Club badges.
    Other graphical "extras".

The game itself will be the same, with 3d engine, game running until around Jan 1st, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Sy13 View Post
    I am so wanting to report you for teasing! haha.
    With that I'd better take the girfriend out to the new shopping centre here in London (Westfield - the biggest in Europe) before I get in trouble (either here or at home - I just can't win)

*removes the finger (mouse cursor) from the 'go, go, go' button :P

Amateur

does anyone know the website in which i can download the demo? i would do it via a torrent file or a direct download from Gameshadow.

Part-Timer

Good work Miles and people at SI , cant wait for the demo

Part-Timer

Quote Originally Posted by r0x0r View Post

I know with a lot of direct to drive schemes like steam, it's possible to pre-download the bulk of the game, with a few small key files held back until release. If the demo's good to go right now, why not let us download 99% of it from steam now? Leave us a little to grab at midnight, and it'll be smoother...

Second idea: Email me asking my phone number. Call me up and arrange to meet me at the Angel later today. Hand my a copy of FM09 in a brown paper bag as an early birthday present. I may be able to arrange sex with my other half as payment, but I've not raised the issue with her yet.
    /joke-mode on

problem is, they have seen your other half, so thats a no go

/joke-mode off

agree with your first point..

Amateur

Can´t wait....hope steam can handle the pressure of thousand (perhaps millions) of eager fans. Tonight i will not sleep!!!

Semi Pro

With that I'd better take the girfriend out to the new shopping centre here in London (Westfield - the biggest in Europe) before I get in trouble (either here or at home - I just can't win)
    Pfft. Give her your card and pin code and tell her to go have fun without you!

Part-Timer

Quote Originally Posted by gbshjdgkzf View Post
    does anyone know the website in which i can download the demo? i would do it via a torrent file or a direct download from Gameshadow.
    http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?p=1905837

Semi Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Herter View Post
    /joke-mode on

problem is, they have seen your other half, so thats a no go

/joke-mode off

agree with your first point..

Oh come on, if she was that much of a looker I would have angled for life time access to FMLive too!

Part-Timer

Quote Originally Posted by SLBFanatic View Post
    Can´t wait....hope steam can handle the pressure of thousand (perhaps millions) of eager fans. Tonight i will not sleep!!!
    Well it can handle the pressure from all the Day of Defeat and Counter-Strike fans online every day so I think it'll manage ;)

Part-Timer

Talking Re: More demo information

Oh come on, if she was that much of a looker I would have angled for life time access to FMLive too!
    lol (10)

Amateur

Steam will prob be the best way to get it, saying that gameshadow are usually pretty awesome speed wise, so the notw direct download should be fast aswell.

Third Team

Will the English leagues in the demo include Blue Square North and South?

Amateur

*removes the finger (mouse cursor) from the 'go, go, go' button :P

I hope she bleeds you dry. It's no less than you deserve! ;)

And no going to the pub and forgetting the time. We need you back for our 12am kick off

Pfft. Give her your card and pin code and tell her to go have fun without you!
    Thanks, the girlfriend likes the idea of my handing the card and details over (more chance of hell freezing over than that happening mind)

Amateur

Yay, Norway, Denmark, Sweden quickstarts! No Finland, though (not that I really expected it anyway). Really looking forward to get to play.

I hope she bleeds you dry. It's no less than you deserve! ;)

And no going to the pub and forgetting the time. We need you back for our 12am kick off

I'll not be visiting the pub today (still hungover from the Golden Joystick Awards from yesterday), I'm sure we all don't want me selecting the 'delete' rather than the 'go, go, go' button

Part-timer

Will we be able to run more than one league?

Banned

I'll not be visiting the pub today (still hungover from the Golden Joystick Awards from yesterday), I'm sure we all don't want me selecting the 'delete' rather than the 'go, go, go' button
    Don't even joke about it ;) 10 hours and 44 minutes until takeoff lads

With your first point, we are doing that for the digital download version of the game from Steam - you'll be able to pre-download a couple of days in advance of release. Not for the demo though - that has to go live at the same time across all different versions.

As for the second point, I don't think my girlfriend would like that very much, so I'll pass.

Amateur

why is there a quickstart in indonesia??? would have prefered a "beter" league like the german league, russian or even the turkish league.

Third Team

why is there a quickstart in indonesia??? would have prefered a "beter" league like the german league, russian or even the turkish league.
    To please the Asian market I suppose, you've only got to wait two weeks and you can play whatever league you want to your hearts content.

Amateur

The Strawberry Demo will have the 3D mode?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Big Boss View Post
    The Strawberry Demo will have the 3D mode?
    Welcome to the forums, both versions will have 3D mode mate!

Amateur

What year are you in in your game? I know you've been playing it for months...
    2012? Were the olympics good? Do we ever win the world cup? Did Obama become President? Was Vela really that good? So many questions, so little time...

Amateur

So cruel!!!!!

Come on, release it :-)

Amateur

This is nothing to do with the demo (sorry), but it's the best thread to get hold of you, so, Miles - it might be a good idea if you, at some point soon, made an "Ideas for FM 2010" sticky, because someone (Ter, I think) said that it's about now that you'll be discussing what to include, and it'd be useful to have most ideas in one place so it's easier for SI to explain what's wrong with them.

If, on the other hand, my point is stupid, then feel free to ignore. I'm new(-ish) and unwise (extremely).

Third Team

Couldn't you just accidently slip and select the 'go' button

Semi Pro

Why is the Dutch league not included? It isn't the great league it once was, but still a better and more famous league than the Scandinavian leagues. Do you sell a lot of copies over there? I can't think of any other reason. The German league isn't included either.

On the other hand, I understand you have to make choices and it is only a demo. The three biggest leagues are in and we can all try the game with nice teams.
    Last edited by Pim1984; 01-11-2008 at 13:40.

Amateur
    The typical AJAX combination of TIPS is best expressed in creative and, therefore, attacking footbol

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=GlS8O257Gi0

Amateur

Where will the torrent links be put up? This thread?

Amateur

How did it go at Golden Joystick Awards, did SI win anything ???

Amateur

Nah they didnt win anything. Stupid jury...if it was me i would give them everything

Amateur

Can someone please give me a foolproof run-down of what needs doing if STEAM is the chosen route

Is there a fee to join STEAM?

What methods of payment do they accept,think ahead to the full release.

It sounds quite interesting,even if its just for the automatic patching.

Is STEAM the route SI recommend for the full version as well as the demo?

Quote Originally Posted by oggie26 View Post
    How did it go at Golden Joystick Awards, did SI win anything ???
    Call of Duty 4 actually won quite a few of the awards, and unfortunately we didn't win anything.

Everything after the awards (the after party) is pretty much a blur - I'm sure there are pictures to giggle over from it

Amateur

Re: the WWSM version being available next week - people in North American can still download the FM demo right?

Also lightheartedness of the SI guys is fun to see

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by Worcester City Researcher View Post
    Just a quick question with the quickstarts - which database size would they be based on?
    I wouldn't mind knowing this too. Can one of you SI guys answer this?

Cheers.

Amateur

Small database. Was the same last year.

Amateur

Thumbs up Re: More demo information

Call of Duty 4 actually won quite a few of the awards, and unfortunately we didn't win anything.

Everything after the awards (the after party) is pretty much a blur - I'm sure there are pictures to giggle over from it
    At least you had a good time lol. On serious note bad luck, nothing to be ashamed that didnt win anything. COD4 is one quality game, but if you look at FM series as a whole over many years.....there is only one winner IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Wings69 View Post
    Re: the WWSM version being available next week - people in North American can still download the FM demo right?

Also lightheartedness of the SI guys is fun to see
    As far as I'm aware you shouldn't have any problems downloading the FM demo once its released

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by eshaan View Post
    Small database. Was the same last year.
    Really... have you got a source for this info?

Amateur

I played the demo last year and it was only small database and i continued it into the main game when it came out and it was yet small database.

Amateur

Im going to say this in advance...for all of us torrent users
    Seed people, seed!!

Amateur

wow the "full" demo will be a 1gb d/l file?

Banned

I'm tempted by the demo.
    I said I wasn't going to but.... all this talk...
    I could be playing 3D football manager tonight.....

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by the_gaffa View Post
    I wouldn't mind knowing this too. Can one of you SI guys answer this?

Cheers.
    Based on past years, small database.

Third Team

Is the demo going to be bang or 1gb or just under/over 1gb?

The reason I ask is that I'll need to download the demo on to this computer and then transfer using a 1gb USB stick to my gaming computer. If it's just over 1gb, I think I'm going to have a little problem , unless of course I burn to DVD, just that it's easier with a USB stick.

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by eshaan View Post
    I played the demo last year and it was only small database and i continued it into the main game when it came out and it was yet small database.
    I noticed that in last years version too. However, I'm hoping that they may have upped it to medium this time (small it pretty useless tbh).
    Last edited by the_gaffa; 01-11-2008 at 14:01.

Amateur

about the discussions from here:

1.can someone that really knows this tell us if there will be a better database in the demo version, except the small?i would like some players to buy, and with the small one i can not....
    2.if someone takes the full game from steam, will there be a chance that it will be available a few hours earlier(lets just say 1 max) than the official release?i paid 66$(american)for the game from steam and if i gave this money i would like to have it at least half an hour earlier its a lot of money spent on the game in my case(these 66 dollars), even though i have quite a good salary, cause i have VERY big debts, that were unpaid to get the game....so i would like an answer at the two points that are still unknown for me...

Banned

How long it will take that torrent option is available?

Someting like Sunday morning?

Part-Timer

Quote Originally Posted by Wee Aja View Post
    I could be playing 3D football manager tonight.....
    Now doesn't that sound exciting

Amateur

could someone give me an idiotproof way of downloading the demo through torrent or gameshadow?

Quote Originally Posted by feedthegoat View Post
    Is the demo going to be bang or 1gb or just under/over 1gb?

The reason I ask is that I'll need to download the demo on to this computer and then transfer using a 1gb USB stick to my gaming computer. If it's just over 1gb, I think I'm going to have a little problem , unless of course I burn to DVD, just that it's easier with a USB stick.
    You might have trouble with a 1GB USB Key (The 'exe' is slightly over 1GB for the PC Version)

Great stuff! can't wait! gonna start with Benfica as usual

Amateur

What is the FASTEST way to download strawberry ?? would it be through a torrent or direct download ??

And i don't want to use STEAM as it just looks for too complicated ..

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by the_gaffa View Post
    I noticed that in last years version too. However, I'm hoping that they may have upped it to medium this time (small it pretty useless tbh).
    yeah exactly and the worst thing is you have to continue into the main game with a small daabase....i hope we can play the demo with a medium database this time..

Amateur

This must be the biggest ever FM download for a demo! 1 gb is huge!

Third Team

You might have trouble with a 1GB USB Key (The 'exe' is slightly over 1GB for the PC Version)
    D'oh!

I'll have to try and use my mp3 player then.

Edit:- Just cleared an unused 2gb mp3 player, that should be ok for the demo shouldn't it?
    Last edited by feedthegoat; 01-11-2008 at 14:12.

Banned

What is the FASTEST way to download strawberry ?? would it be through a torrent or direct download ??

Torrent, direct dl will be stuck.

PEOPLE REMEMBER TO SEED!

Amateur

If you can work a bittorrent client, you can certainly work Steam.

Quote Originally Posted by feedthegoat View Post
    D'oh!

I'll have to try and use my mp3 player then.

Edit:- Just cleared an unused 2gb mp3 player, that should be ok for the demo shouldn't it?
    That will have enough space for your demo transfer

Amateur

steam does not look complicated...you just have to make an account, and that is all...it takes about 20 seconds to start, but i presume that i will have my steam opened from 12 am(cause the hour from my country will be 2 am when the demo is released)...and steam...it is really not complicated...you have the interface where you see every game or demo that have been released or will be released...so you just have to click on them and than start the download....on torrents, you have to save the torrent, put it in utorrent(or others), wait a while until it finds the seeders/leechers and than it will start downloading...and i think that on torrents there will be a lot of people waiting...i know that steam has a great bandwith, and will have a great download speed...so...its easier with steam

Amateur

what does remember to seed mean? sorry, but i stink at this sort of things

Third Team

Quote Originally Posted by WopBamboo View Post
    http://www.dekabyte.com/filesplitter/

This is a great little tool to help you sort that problem out. I've got a 1GB USB too and if a file is too big I just split it in to two.
    Cheers for that, think I'll just use my mp3 player though.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast