MC, DM performance ratings

I've noticed that my central midfielders (2 x MC and 1 x DM in a 4-3-3) rarely score above 7 and often score a 6 - even when we win. At the end of the season, where most of my players season averages are over 7, my MC's and DM's hover between 6.5 and 7. Every now and then a superstar central midfielder might rate a measly 7.10 after his career-best season.

This has happened in a bunch of diferent teams with hundreds of different players and it's a consistent fact. The players all have comparable star ratings to the rest of the team but for some reason the blokes in the middle just don't rate as highly as the strikers, centrebacks, keepers and wide players.

Is it my tactics or has anyone else noticed this with their own tactics?

Note - my tactic is pretty good and I win a lot of games. Like I said it's a 4-3-3 focusing play through the middle (ie. DM and MC's touch the ball a lot). I don't think it's my tactic causing this anomaly so I'm interested to know if anyone else finds their central midfielders getting lower scores than all the other players.

And if so I guess it's a bug.

I've noticed that my central midfielders (2 x MC and 1 x DM in a 4-3-3) rarely score above 7 and often score a 6 - even when we win. At the end of the season, where most of my players season averages are over 7, my MC's and DM's hover between 6.5 and 7. Every now and then a superstar central midfielder might rate a measly 7.10 after his career-best season.

This has happened in a bunch of diferent teams with hundreds of different players and it's a consistent fact. The players all have comparable star ratings to the rest of the team but for some reason the blokes in the middle just don't rate as highly as the strikers, centrebacks, keepers and wide players.

Is it my tactics or has anyone else noticed this with their own tactics?

Note - my tactic is pretty good and I win a lot of games. Like I said it's a 4-3-3 focusing play through the middle (ie. DM and MC's touch the ball a lot). I don't think it's my tactic causing this anomaly so I'm interested to know if anyone else finds their central midfielders getting lower scores than all the other players.

And if so I guess it's a bug.

im using a dm in my man united game ive gone unbeaten so far in the prem for 23 games. My dm player ratings are always rubbish even through he seems to have more passes tackles. Ive tried the playmaker tip someone mentioned and yeah he gets more of the ball but still on average only manages a 7.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mufc12345:

i just feel if your team keeps a clean sheet your DM's rating should be taken into account, i dont seem to have much of a problem with cards though </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am halfway into the first season and my 4 MC's each has had 2 bans!

I haven't noticed any problems with the DMs in my game. My DM usually gets a 7 or 8 each game, I dunno if has something to do with the way I play him, but in my team he has one of the best average rating in my team...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by XaW:

I haven't noticed any problems with the DMs in my game. My DM usually gets a 7 or 8 each game, I dunno if has something to do with the way I play him, but in my team he has one of the best average rating in my team... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

xaw can you let me know what settings you put your dm.

Have had this too.

Think it is down to the poor defensive AI of the game. Players (MC DMC)get into far too many "must shoot from here" situations. As the finishing was toned down they just can't buy goals anymore from midfield. Even with low creative freedom and Long shots rarely my CM*2 + Dmc get 5 shots per game from the small half circle just ot side of the box.

They have a average of 1/60 shots go in. Weakest long shot rating in my midfield is 15.

This makes my average go down as i see that when they have games they don't get into those positions their rating is higher.

i bought van der vaart in two separate games, he was brilliant at Juve (£7M), but the fans were always on his back at arsenal (£12M). played the same 4-4-2 formation, too.

i did notice that keeping his forward runs/run with ball to a minimum improved his ratings dramatically, and also not giving him any special instructions.

his performances didn't harm the team, but it would contribute to the broken confidence feature.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by XaW:

I haven't noticed any problems with the DMs in my game. My DM usually gets a 7 or 8 each game, I dunno if has something to do with the way I play him, but in my team he has one of the best average rating in my team... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Does he take your corners/free kicks?

I've noticed this problem in my game as well. I play a 442 diamond and the dmc in particular never get a high rating, even though I tend to keep a clean sheet.

I watched a few matches in full to see what the problem was and found he was doing nothing wrong. If anything he was often one of my best players. He broke down attacks, was always available for the ball, and his distribution was good. He kept everything ticking over nicely so I have to assume that it's a stats related problem.

He would often be in a good shooting position but, as mentioned, because shot power has been reduced he'd rarely score so perhaps that may play a part in knocking down his rating.

Definately needs a tweak.

Yeah - that's why I think its getting a tweak, Thunder God.

I watch all my matches on Extended highlights, and from my diamond 4-4-2 the DM is one of the key players. From everything I can see, he's doing a fine job, exactly what I want, clogging the middle, breaking down attacks, great passing % .. so its got to be a simple issue in the ratings calculation.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Amaroq:

Yeah - that's why I think its getting a tweak, Thunder God.

I watch all my matches on Extended highlights, and from my diamond 4-4-2 the DM is one of the key players. From everything I can see, he's doing a fine job, exactly what I want, clogging the middle, breaking down attacks, great passing % .. so its got to be a simple issue in the ratings calculation. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, not a major problem but it does make team talks more difficult. If the DMC and the STR both get a 6 I can't really complain at one and not the other.

I said this back in decemeber, right after the patch was out; The match engine does not value tackles and interceptions enough. Hardworking mc/dmc primary job is to break up opponents play and make short pass to the more creative players..even tho they get 5-6 tackles and 10 interception in a game a simple 7 is very common. I think this is wrong.

But a creative MC who make 2-3 key paases and maybe 1 assist get a 8!.. why is that?

Guest arrogantio

....and more significantly, it records the player as having played fairly badly and thus has an effect on his confidence levels and performances in future games even if the statistics suggest that he actually performed quite well

The cards issue raised a few points up is a known bug, and i find my defensive minded MC gets a yellow a game (if not a red) - which is an overshoot and obviously impacts his form.

But to the original point i have noticed some dips, mainly the fact that i rarely see a goal from central midfield and get very few 8s - the implications are big because if this is consistent then further into the game there will be lack of player development from poor form and morale.

I assume the reasoning to be that it isnt calcualted properly, i appluad my DM for getting in the AM face, generally hussling in front of the defence and tirelessly running and fighting for the cause, and i would imagine its related to key passes, shots and pass %.

Has anyone checked the bgs forum for this? Perhaps we could have some official acknowledgment about this, roll on the patch...

Joor, yes & if I recall your thread was quite detailed about it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Neville_Roach:

...the implications are big because if this is consistent then further into the game there will be lack of player development from poor form and morale... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's what worries me the most, actually; I'm not far enough into the game to be able to gauge long-term effects. I play too slowly! But I can certainly imagine how that would be a knock-on-effect from this for Fred DM's.

I generally ignore ratings (as they are heavily biased towards goals per shots, mistakes, cards and assists)and judge players based on match stats and what I see. Plus the effect nymanr mentioned of central midfielders shooting too frequently tends to skew the ratings for them.

But as Thunder God, Joor, arrogantio and Amaroq mentioned it has major consequences so I hope it gets tweaked for the next patch.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Snoweel:

I'm in 2036 and all my MC's and DM's have a comparable CA to the other positions in my team(at least, according to my AssMan who has JA 20).

This would suggest that development isn't a problem. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Great to hear!

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mufc12345:

xaw can you let me know what settings you put your dm. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is the settings he has.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Snoweel:

Does he take your corners/free kicks? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No he does not.

This was his stats last season. Not many assist or goals, just doing his job!

PS. I know hes described as a Midfield (Center), but he is acomplished as a def mid aswell.

Archived