Revenge of the Continents - How would clubs from other continents perfom in Europe?

First of all, hopefully this is seen as enough of an "experiment" to be on here. After a long while off the forums and FM as I have not had much time I decided to run an experiment which would not be that time-consuming.

So here is the deal! I have replaced all Polish and Serbian teams with teams from America (North and South) and Africa and Asia respectively. I replaced teams in order of reputation as to make it as unbiased as possible. It obviously means that the representative balance isnt big. However I felt this would be the best way to decide which clubs would be in the two top tiers of each league system.

So here I present the two top divisions of each country/continent:

Americas:

La Superliga Americana

La Segunda Liga Americana

Africa and Asia:

Afro-Asian SuperLeague

Afro-Asian First League

The first European respresentatives are the following:

Americas:

Champions Cup: Sao Paulo

Euro Cup: Boca, River

Euro Vase: Internacional

Africa and Asia

Champions Cup: Urawa Reds

Euro Cup: Al-Ahly, Etoile du Sahel, Seongnam

It will be interesting to see how the performances in Europe will be and as I have upped the reputation of the leagues it will be interesting to see whether the big stars will still be leaving for the bigger clubs in Europe.

I will update at the end of every transfer window and at the end of the season. The things I will be reporting about are:

-Major transfers

-Current league standings

-Update of cup games

-Update of performances in Europe

Anything else that would be of interest please let me know!!

Thanks for the positive feedback!!

ssestig: I think (or at least hope) that more of the future big stars stay in the clubs instead f the hoard of players leaving for Europe. This means the big teams likes Sao Paulo, America (MEX), Boca and River could potentially end up being Champions League winners. It would be nice to see them bringing back a few of their countrymen but as they are officially polish and serbian teams I dont know if that will happen...

Razer82: The feeder league to the polish second division is just the lower league, which has about 100 teams in it, so it could be anything from Colo Colo of Chile to Caracas of Venezuela!! As for the Serbian system, there are 4 feeder leagues with one from each coming up, there is quite a variety of nations there as well...

First update will follow shortly!

07/08 End of Summer Transfer Window Update

League Standings

La Superliga Americana

Afro-Asian SuperLeague

Afro-Asian First League

One thing to note is that the Japanese sides start without players so it looks like they will be getting an arse-kicking this season...

Cups

Copa Libertadores

First Round

As you can see, there have been quite a lot of "upsets" i.e. lower league teams knocking out the Second Division sides.

Recopa

Recopa Americana

River trashed Sao Paulo in the match between the cup winner and league winner.

Afro-Asian Cup

Second Qualifying Round 1

Second Qualifying Round 2

Third Qualifying Round

Again, quite a few upsets here too.

Europe

Champions League

Second Qualifying Round

Urawa Reds got absolutely trounced while Sao Paulo were quite lucky to get away with beating Besiktas on penalties. Due to there beeing no co-efficient for all clubs outside Europe, the draws are probably going to be quite tough in the first few years.

Third Qualifying Round

Sao Paulo Group

Sao Paulo beat Toulouse quite comfortably but have been drawn into a killer group and it will be tough to survive it!!

UEFA Cup

First Qualifying Round 1

First Qualifying Round 2

Second Qualifying Round

In the Second Qualifying Round River got a really tough draw against Atletico Madrid and were knocked out, whilst Hajduk overcame Etoile du Sahel on away goals. All other sides are through to the First Round though.

Intertoto Cup

Second Round

Third Round

Internacional fell at the last hurdle, being beaten by Blackburn Rovers.

Transfers

I will list the top 5 most expensive transfers for each league

Americas

£3.3M - Gonzalo Pineda (Mexican D LC) - moves from Chivas (MEX) to Aston Villa (ENG)

£1.9M - Denis Caniza (Paraguayan D LC) - moves from Cruz Azul (MEX) to Sunderland (ENG)

£1.9M - Federico Vilar (Argentinian GK) - moves from Atlante (MEX) to Parma (ITA)

£1.4M - Ignacio Scocco (Argentinian ST) - moves from Pumas (MEX) to Hannover (GER)

£1.4M - Klever Manuel Chala (Ecuadorian AM RC) - moves from El Nacional (ECU) to Sunderland (ENG)

So a lot of players still leaving mainly from Mexican sides.

Africa and Asia

£1.5M - Felipe (Brazilian AM LC) - moves from Al-Sadd (QAT) to Standard (BEL)

£1M - Thembile Kanono (South African MC) - moves from Santos F.C. (SAF) to Al-Shabab (KSA)

£800k - Dragan (Serbian DM) - moves from Incheon (KOR) to Club Africain (TUN)

£600k - Sibusiso Dlamini (Swazi AMR) - moves from Swallows (SAF) to Al-Ain (QAT)

£375k - Son Seung-Joon (KOrean AM L) - moves from Suwon (KOR) to Sepahan (IRN)

A lot less players venturing into the other leagues, it was also interesting to see how a non-league team like Sepahan managed to sign a key player from a League side.

A lot of sides are also signing Polish and Serbian players, but as all the ex-Polish and ex-Serbian sides are not producing regens of those nationalities anymore, the should hopefully fade out in some years.

Nex up will be the January Transfer Update

07/08 End of Winter Transfer Window Update

The transfer window in the Americas League only closes on the 28th of February so reports will always be at this date.

League Standings

La Superliga Americana

Afro-Asian SuperLeague

Afro-Asian First League

As you can see the Japanese teams in the SuperLeague are still getting a caning, it is interesting though that the teams in the First League have made some pretty good signings and are floating around mid-table.

Cups

Copa Libertadores

Second Round

Third Round

One non-league team still left, Colo Colo are doing very well. They narrowly missed out on a place in the Segunda Liga and are the team with the highest reputation in the unplayable leagues so have a good chance of getting up at some point.

Copa de la Liga Americana

This is a league cup for Superliga sides only, with 4 groups of 4 out of which 2 qualify for the quarter finals.

Group Stages

Afro-Asian Cup

First Round

Second Round

Quarter-Finals

A lot of surprises here with only one SuperLeague side in the last four and two non-league sides!!

Europe

Champions League

Group G

In a reasonably tight group Sao Paulo didnt make it as they only took one point away from home. They did however qualify for the UEFA Cup with their 3rd place finish.

UEFA Cup

First Round 1

First Round 2

All teams got tough ties and dissppointingly none of them made it into the group stages.

First Knockout Round

Sao Paulo squeezed themselves into the next round by beating Leverkusen on penalties and will now face Lyon in the Second Knockout Stage.

Transfers

The top 5 transfers in each league

Americas

£5.25M - Diogo (Brazilian FC) - moves from Portuguesa (BRA) to Sporting (POR)

£3.5M - Adrian Aldrete (Mexican DL) - moves from Morelia (MEX) to Salzburg (AUT)

£1.4M - Avine (Brazilian DL/AML) - moves from Bahia (BRA) to Boca (ARG)

£1.2M - Agustin Orion (Argentinian GK) - moves from San Lorenzo (ARG) to Austria Wien (AUT)

£975k - German Re (Argentinian D RLC) - moves from Newell's (ARG) to Cruz Azul (MEX)

Africa and Asia

£4.6M - Amr Zaki (Egyptian FC) - moves from Zamalek (EGY) to Anderlecht (BEL)

£1M - Nikola Bogic (Serbian MC) - moves from Al-Jazeera (UAE) to Al-Ain (QAT)

£675k - Ahmed Fahti (Egyptian DR, DM, M RC) - moves from Sheff Utd (ENG) to Al-Ahly (EGY)

£325k - Nazeer Allie (South African DR) - moves from Ajax CT (SAF) to Al-Ain (QAT)

£275k - Park Woo-Hyun (Korean DC) - moves from Seongnam (KOR) to Sundowns (SAF)

Still a bit of an exodus going on in the two leagues with two more high profile players in Amr Zaki and promising forward Diogo leaving. It was nice to see Al-Ahly bringing an Egyptian back to the club though. (Note: I am ignoring the transfers of polish and serbian players to the league. Although there were a couple of expensive transfers there I thought they were not really worth reportng about.)

Next up will be the end of season update!!

Yeah I was on painkillers for about two months and it completely knocked me out in that period, now it is all fine. I have to use slips so it doesnt get bad again. If I walk in flip flops for too long it still aches though...

Will start the end of season update in a bit so it should be up in half an hours or so.

07/08 End of Season Update

League Standings

La Superliga Americana

Season Summary Americas

Afro-Asian SuperLeague

Afro-Asian First League

Season Summary Afro-Asia

The Mexican sides didnt have a good year as all four relegated teams in the Segunda Liga were from there. Cruz Azul and Pumas also suffered relegation, with Pumas losing the promotion playoff to Atletico Mineiro 2-0 on aggregate. Sao Paulo and River were dissapponting but Boca cofirmed their status as one of the favourites by winning the league on goal difference.

In Afro-Asia it was the Egyptian sides who had a good year with Al-Ahly and Zamalek leading the leagues. The Japanese ones on the other hand didnt, Antlers and Gamba going down straight from the SuperLeague whilst Urawa Reds were beaten by Kaizer Chiefs for top flight football. Kaizer Chiefs beat ES Setif and Ulsan before being able to have a shown down with the dissappointing Reds. Jubilo completed the quartet of relegated Japanese teams, F MArionos being the only side not to do so in that nation.

Cups

Copa Libertadores

Quarter Final

Semi Final

Final

Boca made thir year better by beatin Fluminense 3-1 in the final and crowning their double.

Copa de la Liga Americana

Quarter Final

Semi Final

Final

A good year for the Argies was signed off with this all-Argentinian final in which River beat San Lorenzo 1-0.

Afro-Asian Cup

Semi Final

Final

Astonishingly Gamba made it all the way to the final against First League side Zamalek, who proved to have too much power for them and eased to a 2-1 victory.

Europe

UEFA Cup

Second Knockout Round

Unfortunately Sao Paulo were not strong enough for Lyon, who did go on to win the UEFA Cup. The Champions League winners were Inter Milan.

Next Season Information

I will be cutting the updates to once a seaon as it makes more sense to me that way. I will always give out the European representatives for next season and the newly promoted sides.

European Representatives

Americas

Champions League: Boca

UEFA Cup: America (MEX), Fluminense

Intertoto Cup: Cruzeiro

Afro-Asia

Champions League: Al-Ahly

UEFA Cup: Al-Ahli (KSA), Seongnam, Zamalek

Intertoto Cup: Suwon

Newly-Promoted Sides

Americas

Colo Colo - The Chilean giants certainly have what it takes to survive in the Segunda Liga

Dorados - A relatively unknown Mexican side will not be encourged by the performance of their countrymen last year.

Portuguesa - Another unfancied team, this time from Brazil. Sold off their big star Diogo in the winter and will struggle without him.

Toronto FC - The biggest surprise out of the promoted sides, the ex-MLS Canadians will definately struggle.

Afro-Asia

Frontale - One of the smaller Japanese sides will hope not to do as badly as their countrymen last season.

Jeonbuk - Unfancied Korean side, but have some cash to try and spend for survival

Pakhtakor - The Uzbeki side was a surprise promoted side and it remains a mistery how they will perform.

Persepolis - The Iranian side have a big stadium and more money than most First League sides so they have every chance.

Another important note is that the Afro-Asian leagues will be restructured and 6 teams will gain automatic promotion to the SuperLeague in addition to the playoff spots. Relegation from both leagues is still the same though.

Any suggestions on things I should be reporting are welcome and if you feel the three updaes a season are better let me know and I ll have a think about re-doing that.

what happened to your foot

I broke both big toes when I was younger and have since then been putting a lot pressure on the outside of the foot to walk. My left foot couldnt take the pressure anymore and I coudnt walk on it unless I was on some heavy pain killers. Its all good now though!!

Archived