Good players who were rubbish is real life

hi guys,

the thread about Sherman Cardenas got me thinking. How many times over the years has a player been good in FM but turned out to be a turkey IRL.

I remember I used to always sign Victor Leonenko who was a goal machine in one of the old ones, but never really did much IRL.

Another one was Ibrahim Bakayoko, he was a huge turkey in real life but was good in earlier CM.

Any others you have bought who turned out to be average IRL?

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
hi guys,

the thread about Sherman Cardenas got me thinking. How many times over the years has a player been good in FM but turned out to be a turkey IRL.

I remember I used to always sign Victor Leonenko who was a goal machine in one of the old ones, but never really did much IRL.

Leonenko was one of the best strikers in Ukrainian Premier League in the early 90's.

He scored 62 goals in 98 games for Dynamo Kiev in 1992-98, played 14 times(6 goals) for a national team.

Maxi Lopez on an old CM game. He was probably the most prolific scorer on the game, he'd get at least 35 goals a season, every season without fail. In real life he went to Barcelona, didn't do well at all, then got loaned elsewhere in Spain where he failed to impress again, now he is playing somewhere in Russia I believe. Shame.

I thought it was the other Todorov?

Ian Moore who was a deadly striker for Stockport(?) on the early games never did much.

Or Villas Luke Moore for that matter.

Jason Wilcox. Lee Sharpe. Nii Lamptey. Freddy Guarin. Eddy Johnson. The list is almost endless.

Kennedy Bakircioglü is one such player that springs to my mind.

I cannot remember which edition of CM it was that he has such massive stats and could set the European leagues ablaze with his playing form. I think in most of my games, he would join top Italian sides and either win several Scudetti and/or European trophies.

In real life, he had played well indeed for Swedish club Hammarby IF, leading the club to its first Swedish championship title in 2001. However to suggest that his progress has been as meteoric as that of his old CM alter-ego would be a gross overstatement.

He joined Greek side Iraklis for a couple of years after five seasons at Hammarby, then spent another couple at Dutch side FC Twente, before moving to Ajax in 2007. And when Marco van Basten took over the reins as Ajax manager, he told Kennedy he should look for alternate means of employment. Poor fellow.

Freddy Adu seems to be decidedly average in real life - currently in Portugal I think!

There was also Kennedy Bakirclogu (or something, can't remember the proper name :D ) - a striker or AM/FM I think!

Used to be very good, think he's playing his trade still in the Dutch league!

oh wait another one comes to mind. In 07 Karl Svensson young swedish defender was awesome. He then signed for Glasgow Rangers and I was telling my mates this guy is class etc, turned out to be a turd. Couldn't head a ball and had to body strength to hold off a striker. He was quickly shipped to a team in france.

Daniel Braaten was virtually unstoppable in CM03/04. He played in 2nd Norwegian league and you could bring him wherever and he would be the best player in the world. Had acceleration, pace, technique and dribbling 20. A one man show. Used to go through defenders. He was later to become not a bad player, but certainly not as good as in CM.

I remember a couple of players in some of the earlier CMs who were decent in the game but didn't do much as players in real life. Paul and Oliver Collyer were their names. Always a must signing, but whatever happened to them? ;)

tonton mokouko?? am/fc from derby i think

cherno samba

anatoliy todorov

plus the whole hacken crew from fm05 i think - dulee johnson, freddie lagymyr and i think there was a keeper - but they got kallstrom right:)

Tonton Zola Moukoko was released when he was about 19 or 20, and ended up moving back to one of the Scandanavian lower leagues, if I remember correctly.

A few others..

Marcus Stewart in CM94 scored goals for fun in my Villa team - not just in 1 season, consistently.

Mark Kerr in CM01/02 from Falkirk became one of the best midfielders in Europe - I think he's at Aberdeen IRL.

Alexander Farnerud, one of the amazing Swedes from either CM03/04 or FM05. No idea where he is now.

A few others..

Marcus Stewart in CM94 scored goals for fun in my Villa team - not just in 1 season, consistently.

Mark Kerr in CM01/02 from Falkirk became one of the best midfielders in Europe - I think he's at Aberdeen IRL.

Alexander Farnerud, one of the amazing Swedes from either CM03/04 or FM05. No idea where he is now.

Farnerud is still good in FM08, his ability is around 140ish i believe.

Maxim Tsigasko anyone? :D

Archived