Emile Heskey in FM09

Wayne\'o

While at work today iv been thinking about Emile heskey and how he will compare in FM09 to recent years..

We all know he isnt the most prolific striker in the prem but he has matured as a striker and is currently playing very well. in recent season's on FM to be fair he has been pritty awful and not much use to a top flight team..

Now what im wondering is!! how do you go about making him cappelo's first choice striker paring to perhapps Wayne Rooney and actually giving him a good consistancy with out actually making him score tons of goals or becoming a better striker than owen etc.. we all know he doesnt score every week so as far as the hidden stat consistancy goes, making that high would see him score far more goals than he should. giving him a low shooting attribute will make him miss loads of shots and will end up giving him a low rating..

any one have any views on this?

maybe giving him a att mid / str role or maybe the att mid role daft idea but it might work

No, he hasn't got the legs to play att mid. I think what the people at SI need to do is low acceleration and 13-14 for pace. Low composure, low finishing. Good strength, heading, ariel ability etc. Basically base his stats on John Carew as they are pretty much the same just that Carew is more prolific. So maybe they need to lower Heskey's mental stats?

No, he hasn't got the legs to play att mid. I think what the people at SI need to do is low acceleration and 13-14 for pace. Low composure, low finishing. Good strength, heading, ariel ability etc. Basically base his stats on John Carew as they are pretty much the same just that Carew is more prolific. So maybe they need to lower Heskey's mental stats?

He isn't exactly slow though to be fair. The composure needs to be low for sure.

No Heskey isn't slow at all - he's much quicker than Owen is these days for sure.

They just need to give him low finishing and low composure, high work rate and teamwork, good decision making and off the ball as well as high physical stats and i think that's about it.

you cant lower stats they he actually deserves to have based on Him IRL. he is still fairly quick and doesnt fall over as much as he used to.. he is definately a power house target man. only thing he doesnt do is score very oftern all though i think that would change when he goes back to liverpool in jan..

AM/FC as his position.His PA will be over 160,but the CA around 140

PA at 160? are you mad? some very good youngsters have their PA at 160 and they are much better players than Heskey. He's not gonna get to 160 if he starts at 140 seeing as he's 30 either.

I dont think SI necessarily needs to change that much on Heskey. His immidiate success is in my view more an indication of good form beeing build up, more than his attributes actually increasing. It just shows that good form meens everything in football.

they do need to change somthing about him tho so he is good enough to be chossen by cappelo in the england set up. and the only thing that will make that happen will be that his current ability is better than the other england strikers, They dont pick players based on club form in fm, they do IRL

There needs to be something changed with the AI of managers with regards to player selection.

Some managers, I.e Capello, would pick players based 50% on ability and 50% average rating or form.

Others, like McLaren, would pick players based 75% on ability and 25% on average rating or form.

well so far in the test in doing, heskey has 1 goal in 3 prem games, AV/R 7.33 hasnt got any assists. i have noticed the ball is played upto him played into feet alot. he has controled the ball and laid it off to other players moving forward..

he plays dead along the front line with the other striker, he isnt coming deep very oftern yet despite his preferd moving saying he likes to.. not sure if he is usually the wigan captain but they have choosen him as captain, i guess because of his high work rate and determination etc

PA at 160? are you mad? some very good youngsters have their PA at 160 and they are much better players than Heskey. He's not gonna get to 160 if he starts at 140 seeing as he's 30 either.

Look mate,in FM08 too,many 30+ have a PA of 160,but a CA of 130-140.They'll never fulfill it though

i set heskey to CA of 150 and PA to 160. by exmas his CA rose to 155. obvioulsy when the game starts heskey is only 29 and not 30. despite doing very well for Wigan, he hasnt got a single assist yet and not even had an england call up. in FM09 if heskey is going to be capelo's main man with Rooney then his current ability is going to have to be changed (Increased) they seem to picj players with a high CA regaurdless of form and stats or any tactics in mind..

which brings us back to the debate. how do get heskey to be choosen as first choice striker for england as capelo likes him if his CA and Pa is less than any other Striker?

i set heskey to CA of 150 and PA to 160. by exmas his CA rose to 155. obvioulsy when the game starts heskey is only 29 and not 30. despite doing very well for Wigan' date=' he hasnt got a single assist yet and not even had an england call up. in FM09 if heskey is going to be capelo's main man with Rooney then his current ability is going to have to be changed (Increased) they seem to picj players with a high CA regaurdless of form and stats or any tactics in mind..

which brings us back to the debate. how do get heskey to be choosen as first choice striker for england as capelo likes him if his CA and Pa is less than any other Striker?[/quote']

See my post earlier in the thread.

Another idea is the potential for manager "ppm's" that someone else made a thread about. There could be one that states "prefers good team players" or "prefers players hard workers".

that could cause a bug in its self may be. not sure?? what if a manager picks certain players but they keep losing. would he then have the sence to shy away and choose players with better CA ahead of league form or hard workers ect?

Even when Heskey was at Brum I thought he was a great target man, he is a beast in the air and (not directed at tom) isn't slow,

When he played alongside Clinton Morrison he set up about 5-6 in as many matches, he is a good player and I don't think it has been truely replicated in Football Manager 08.

I think international selection is a bit of a nightmare as I only see few regens in the national squad until all current players have retired!

Perhaps Heskey will be added to Fabio Capello's Favourite Personnel list.

As for altering Heskey's stats, I don't think that would be necessary. I have found him to be a very very useful player when I've signed him.

well i have just finished the season with the changes made to Heskey, he hasnt had 1 single england call up despite finishing the prems 6th top scorer with 17 goals, just behind Defoe and Owen..

he only managed 1 assist all season, looking around there are not many strikers at all with many assists which i find a bit strange to be fair. the highest striker with assists was van Persie with 5 from 28 games as a striker..

what im going to do is just set heskeys CA and PA to 180 just to see how it effects him beeing called up for england

well i have just finished the season with the changes made to Heskey' date=' he hasnt had 1 single england call up despite finishing the prems 6th top scorer with 17 goals, just behind Defoe and Owen..

he only managed 1 assist all season, looking around there are not many strikers at all with many assists which i find a bit strange to be fair. the highest striker with assists was van Persie with 5 from 28 games as a striker..

what im going to do is just set heskeys CA and PA to 180 just to see how it effects him beeing called up for england[/quote']

Did the players that did get call ups have a better average match rating than Emile?

Did the players that did get call ups have a better average match rating than Emile?

i didnt check at the time, but at the end of the season, heskey did finish with the 2nd high rating for any English strikers with only Owen ahead of him even Wayne Rooney was way down the list.

i didnt check at the time' date=' but at the end of the season, heskey did finish with the 2nd high rating for any English strikers with only Owen ahead of him even Wayne Rooney was way down the list.[/quote']

I think this may just prove the problem with international selections!

they're picked on current ability and not much else I think. I've seen players averaging a whole point higher than someone who is in the international team and they never get a look in.

But is that how it works in real life? How much does form influence capello's player selection?

after putting Heskey's CA and PA set to 180, he didnt even get selected for the england Euro squad. im going to send the game on holiday to England's next friendly after the Euro's.. im wondering if the England selection is actually based on reputation as apposed to CA or AV/R

Well Heskey won his England call up with the exclusion of Rooney it seems, heskey is partnering Owen up front, Owen the over rated striker scoring goals for fun. Heskey has scored 4 in 5 for England yet he still fails to get any assists..

in FM09 i hope they have caught anto this because i think there needs to be some majour changes in this area of the game..

after putting Heskey's CA and PA set to 180' date=' he didnt even get selected for the england Euro squad. im going to send the game on holiday to England's next friendly after the Euro's.. im wondering if the England selection is actually based on reputation as apposed to CA or AV/R[/quote']

Much more likely to be related to reputation, since that is really the players perceived ability.

Home reputation for players playing in a foreign country, otherwise current reputation and home reputation should be the same.

All this means nothing if SI have not fixed the older players losing there stats as soon as they hit 30.Judging by 08 he'll be crap after 1season.I hope they have fixed this an I'm sure they would of done TBF.

Heskey was great in my 08 Wigan game, kept him for 4 seasons before I finally released him. Although he didn't score loads, he did well in my team, and never moaned when he wasn't playing. Think he even got back into the England squad for a game or two in the second season.

So not sure that much needs to be done to his stats. I could understand uping his rep, to increase the chance of his selection though.

To get him to play for England regularly, put him in Capello's favoured personnel list and up his reputation. Job done. I'd lower his finishing in any case. I don't think the Wigan researcher even comes on these forums. He's done a crap job in any case. So many overrated players.

Its hard for the game to replicate form and reputation to make players play well enough to get an england recall. it's clearly evident that when they pick the national squads its done using CA and may be some reputation..

IRL why is heskey playing for england if apparantley he only has a CA of 140 when thew likes of Owen, Defoe, Crouch, Ashton all have better CA and PA.. the fact Heskey is under rated is clear on this.. He may not be a prolific finisher and may be 10 for finishing would be fair but his other attributes as a top flight striker makes him so hard to defend against. take Crouch'y he may be a little bit more tecnicall than Heskey and have better finishing so if you wanted an ideal target man for any striker, ie Owen, Rooney, Defoe, heskey would be the best man for the job..

What i do wonder about. if Heskey didnt play against the 2 teams last week. Capelo would of used Defoe or crouch, how would that effect englands game plan.. for starters if you used Defoe, rooney would have to be used in a different role as he would for crouch, with heskey putting him self about and doing alot of running. what he does is pull defenders away to leave space for Rooney and owen if he was playing. he is very unselfish player and does a huge amount for the team even when he's not on the ball.

His only flaw really is his Finishing, all other stats are equal to any other striker England currently have so on that basis i think he should have par for CA. if you take the average from Rooney, Owen, Ashton, Defoe and crouch. heskey should at least have a PA and CA average to all of those players which would be more than 140 etc.

well i have just finished the season with the changes made to Heskey' date=' he hasnt had 1 single england call up despite finishing the prems 6th top scorer with 17 goals, just behind Defoe and Owen..

what im going to do is just set heskeys CA and PA to 180 just to see how it effects him beeing called up for england[/quote']

changing his pa and ca dont do a thing mate... its his reputation you want to change.... and also cappello to favour him over the others... stick heskey on capello's (and englands ) prefered lists and he'll get his england caps..... and yes... like has been said.. give him the 'passes rather then scores' ppm

Archived