+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Player search filter idea (contract expiry)

Third Team

Default Player search filter idea (contract expiry)

Okay, so we all know that there is a contract expiry filter with the search function in FM08, which I usually use every January to see which players I can sign on a free at the end of June. But one thing I find annoying with this filter is that a lot of players that I can't approach to sign for another few months yet are included in the results.

Now I know that this might be useful to a lot of people, as they might want to see whose contract is expiring as early as a year in advance. This is why I'm not suggesting that this type of filtering system should be removed. Instead, I think that it would be more useful if the "contract expiry" option in the search filter should be expanded.

Maybe instead of just an "expiring" option, we could have an "expiring in [insert number here] months" option in future FMs. Or maybe even a filter that only includes players who you can offer a pre-contract immediately. I feel that this would make it much easier to find players available on a free.

Opinions please

Some ideas suggested by the other guys in this thread that I also feel would be useful:
    1. Filter out retiring players (shobs10)
    2. Bring back "unprotected" filter (saddlerscott)
    3. Search players by "reputation" (Stephanie McMahon\'s Secret Lover)

Thanks for the extra ideas guys!
    Last edited by ahmufcwafc; 12-10-2008 at 18:45.

Part-Timer

Default Re: Player search filter idea (contract expiry)

You can show whos contract expires the earliset by going on view and choosing contract.

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by ahmufcwafc View Post
    Okay, so we all know that there is a contract expiry filter with the search function in FM08, which I usually use every January to see which players I can sign on a free at the end of June. But one thing I find annoying with this filter is that a lot of players that I can't approach to sign for another few months yet are included in the results.

Now I know that this might be useful to a lot of people, as they might want to see whose contract is expiring as early as a year in advance. This is why I'm not suggesting that this type of filtering system should be removed. Instead, I think that it would be more useful if the "contract expiry" option in the search filter should be expanded.

Maybe instead of just an "expiring" option, we could have an "expiring in [insert number here] months" option in future FMs. Or maybe even a filter that only includes players who you can offer a pre-contract immediately. I feel that this would make it much easier to find players available on a free.

Opinions please
    yes this is a very good idea an i was thinking this myself just now, so great minds think alike or at least decent minds lol

Third Team

Quote Originally Posted by smithers08 View Post
    You can show whos contract expires the earliset by going on view and choosing contract.
    I know this but I usually sort by value & find it annoying when most of the players of high value's contracts don't expire until about a year's time.

Third Team

Quote Originally Posted by cockyhammer View Post
    yes this is a very good idea an i was thinking this myself just now, so great minds think alike or at least decent minds lol
    Yeah hopefully it's included in FM2010, since it's a bit late for 09

Semi Pro

I have been wondering for 3 years why this isn't in the game...

Third Team

Yeah hopefully it's included in FM2010, since it's a bit late for 09
    Its not really too late considering the game isn't even finished yet and if it was completely finished there is always the two patches that are normally released.

Third Team

Quote Originally Posted by trekman View Post
    Its not really too late considering the game isn't even finished yet and if it was completely finished there is always the two patches that are normally released.
    They don't usually add new features in patches, do they? (even though this would be a very small feature)

Amateur

think this is a great idea

they should also have a seperate filter for retiring players

Third Team

I agree. It would be a useful feature.

Third Team

Quote Originally Posted by shobs10 View Post
    think this is a great idea

they should also have a seperate filter for retiring players
    Good idea, I think I'll add it to my first post just incase the people at SI don't read through the whole thread

Amateur

i believe a few years ago there was an 'unprotected' option which showed you this, as well as youngsters without a pro contract, no idea why they took it out

Banned

An expiring in six months option would still include players who couldn't be approached because some countries don't let players talk to other clubs till their current contract expires.

Third Team

Quote Originally Posted by Misodoctakleidist View Post
    An expiring in six months option would still include players who couldn't be approached because some countries don't let players talk to other clubs till their current contract expires.
    Read my first post again:

Opinions please

Also, as shobs10 said, maybe a filter for retiring players should be included also.
    The suggestion that I underlined would sort out that problem

Part-Timer
    Ramos - Manager of the Psychotic Teddy Bears

Would like to search players by "reputation" as well. To apease my chairman and fans when they demand a big name!

Third Team

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie McMahon\'s Secret Lover View Post
    Would like to search players by "reputation" as well. To apease my chairman and fans when they demand a big name!
    Yeah, I've always wondered why you could only use this filter while searching for staff.

+ Reply to Thread