Why can't our 15 year olds play ?

Maybe its a new rule and it will be in FM2009 or it could be that Barnsley aren't in the Premiership which I believe has rules regarding minimum age that the other leagues dont. Both of these are a guess btw.

In the last 20 years, Millwall's Moses Ashikodi was the youngest player to make his Football League debut. He played in 2003, aged 15 years and 240 days.

Matthew Etherington, now with Premier League side West Ham, was 15 years and 262 days when he appeared for Peterborough in 1997.

I think there is no age rule in English football, it all depends on the general law. Reuben did not receive any money and I guess that he still can't play in a game that is scheduled in the late evening. Maybe to complicated to implement into the game?

Players in the football league(maybe Prem included) are ineligible to play until their sixteenth birthday. But teams are allowed to ask for special permission from the FA. This has most recently happened with Reuben and also happened with John Bostock last season.

As far as I was aware (and being a manager in real life) the 16 year old rule was an absolute.

I guess once again its one rule for some clubs and one rule for others!

NO WONDER FOOTBALL HAS SO MANY DISAGREEMENTS!

Just wondering which team you manage?

Aguero made his debut when he was 15 years old in the Argentinian league without any problem or special measure taken

That's in Argentina though (stating the obvious). We're talking about England (or at least, it appears that way). Argentina is a whole different country (again, stating the obvious) with a whole different set of laws (again).

each league has their own rules ... in the south american leagues youngsters can play at a very young age, but in europe that's diferent, they have to be way older... for example, in the portuguese league, you can only BUY a brazilian player when he completes the age of... you can buy him before, but he will only transfer when he completes 18

I think there is no age rule in English football, it all depends on the general law. Reuben did not receive any money and I guess that he still can't play in a game that is scheduled in the late evening. Maybe to complicated to implement into the game?

Just to point out the game he played in was a late evening game.

Also didn't Derby (when Burley was there?) and more recently Crystal Palace play 15/16 year olds?

IIRC i had a goalkeeper in FM06, I played quite a way into it and took over northampton to find i was inheriting a team that was thread bare! i played this GK at 15 years and had no resriction at all, i found players in the prem cannot play at 15 they have to be 16 correct me if im wrong though!

How young can players get in fm? in my fm 2006 game i found a 14 year old playing for wrexham i think it was or some other welsh team its 3 seasons into the game so its possible he is a regen. He has totally killer stats too he would have been my best youth player if i could have bought him i was totally gutted when he turned me down.

Just to clear this up for anyone:

As Punchdrunk has said, last season Crystal Palace played 1 fifteen year old, 4 16 year olds and 3 17 year olds. No player can play in the English Leagues until their sixteenth birthday although you can ask to the FA to play a player less than 16. Palace did this with Bostock(Judas) and Barnsley, most recently have done this with Reuben, I believe.

Therefore, FM is correct in a way with 15 year olds ineligible in England, but you should be able to ask the FA for permission to play him.

Archived