its official - fm08 is bullsh*t

u know, before u all call me "another whinger" i have stuck up for this game for 11 months and as i write this i am shaking with anger and fighting the urge to throw my laptop against the wall. I had got all my s**t together, att, def and bal working perfectly. with 5 games to go i was undefeated and 8 points clear. i had went out of the fa cup to a "miracle" performance from G. Rossi for Man City after a reply where in the first game they DIDNT HAVE A SHOT AT GOAL, and he scored a hat trick to beat me 3-2. In the european cup i have lost S gerrard to injury for the rest of the season and a miracle performance from Barotelli, a hat trick give inter a 4-2 win. I take both of these on the chin. then in the run in I can draw with 0-0 with bolton at home, tho lucus and mascherano are my only fit cms. i can take this. However when i go to villa park in the next game and they come back from 3 down at half time i get a bit miffed, especially when the move to 424 at 75mins and it takes my tactics 7 mins to change, but not before villa switch there 2 wide front men round and IMMEDIATELY equalize. 3-3 it finishes. Then however the mist decends, after to i go charlton, already relagated with a measley 16 points - who beat me 1-0 with a penalty after yet another "goalkeeping clinic" - i get results at old trafford, the emirates and stamford bridge, outplaying every 1 of those home sides - but lose to a side thinking about their summer holidays. also ive gave away penos in the last 2 games at crucual moments. why are my defenders morons? And another thing, i have been top of the league the whole season yet my board think i could be doing slightly better even tho they give me f**k all money to spend, and are unlikely to offer me a new contact.

It seems that i will never win the league in fm08, tho apparantly its an impossible task unless you are a money bags who goes out and buys aguero/silva/fernandez etc. I am so unbelievebly p*ssed off right now and i want so goddamn answers

It seems that i will never win the league in fm08, tho apparantly its an impossible task unless you are a money bags who goes out and buys aguero/silva/fernandez etc. I am so unbelievebly p*ssed off right now and i want so goddamn answers

Hmmm, sounds a bit like real life, no? Where even spending £100m (Tottenham) doesn't guarantee you anything more than 2 measly points after 6 games. It sounds like you dominated the league until the death. Sounds a bit like Keegan's Newcastle, no? And also, every year, almost without fail, a Championship team who've been riding high 90% of the season fall away and crash out of the play-offs.

So, yeah, football's frustrating. I wouldn't describe the game as bs though. Flawless? No. Broken/unplayable? Absolutely not.

If you genuinely are shaking with anger, then that's a little sad dude. :( Especially for a 28 year old.

In my real madrid save ive been behind barcelona all season by about 5 points after losing to them and bojan being unbelievable! He had played 24 scored 36 yet 8 games later they have drawn 5 games and won the others.. therefore bringing me 2 points clear but there are still 4 games left and i can still easily lose the title myself.. So it can also happen to the AI.

A little tip for you. When you want to change your tactics, pause the match then change your tactics. When you press play again it changes your tactics right away. Also, i started a new game with Villa, i lost 5 out of my first 10 games and conceded in all my first 14 games. After 26 matches, i am currently 5th, 2 points behind City in 4th. I have messed around with tactics and formations and players but i have finally got it right. What i am trying to say is, don't blame AI, blame yourself. Maybe your tactics got sussed out, maybe you didn't do enough in those games. Maybe your players were not fully fit. I appreciate it is extremely annoying, but that's football. A few years ago, i remember Newcastle being 13 points ahead of Utd and they lost the title to Utd. Everton were 13 points ahead of Liverpool years earlier and Liverpool won the league. It does happen mate. If your tactics are good and you change them for the better every now ad then, then you can do very well. I went on a 3 season unbeaten run in an old Liverpool game. It is possible.

cannot make this up, next game home to chelsea, who are already out of the title race, go behind 3 times, equalize 3 times and get a peano in injury time and robbie keane muffs it straight at cech.

total BS

Well you could, but i'm not saying you are lol.

A little tip for you. When you want to change your tactics, pause the match then change your tactics. When you press play again it changes your tactics right away. Also, i started a new game with Villa, i lost 5 out of my first 10 games and conceded in all my first 14 games. After 26 matches, i am currently 5th, 2 points behind City in 4th. I have messed around with tactics and formations and players but i have finally got it right. What i am trying to say is, don't blame AI, blame yourself. Maybe your tactics got sussed out, maybe you didn't do enough in those games. Maybe your players were not fully fit. I appreciate it is extremely annoying, but that's football. A few years ago, i remember Newcastle being 13 points ahead of Utd and they lost the title to Utd. Everton were 13 points ahead of Liverpool years earlier and Liverpool won the league. It does happen mate. If your tactics are good and you change them for the better every now ad then, then you can do very well. I went on a 3 season unbeaten run in an old Liverpool game. It is possible.

i do pause it m8 and tactics dont change until the screen says "changing tactical instructions" and the tactics button lights up again

Seriously guy, if you have a constant problem with teams equalizing when they are behind, you should revise your tactics. Either you have extremely bad luck or you have to many holes/exploits in you tactical approach. I've played since the game came out, and I've never had any real problems regarding this.

play a different game if you find it unrealistic

maybe you should try premier manager

do i detect sarcasm?

Can you please stop the text speak, it's grinding my gears?

The problem I have with this thread is the tone and the swearing, which is pointless tbh. I agree with your point about changing tactics, it's very irritating and something that needs to be looked at by SI. Perhaps if your argument was more reasoned you'd get a better response, but AFAIC people will switch off as soon as they read the title of your thread, because it just sounds like yet another childish rant.

I'm not having a go, but I suggest you sit down and write a more detailed and reasonable post, more people will take notice and give suggestions criticisms advice etc and you may learn soemthing from it.

Can you please stop the text speak, it's grinding my gears?

The problem I have with this thread is the tone and the swearing, which is pointless tbh. I agree with your point about changing tactics, it's very irritating and something that needs to be looked at by SI. Perhaps if your argument was more reasoned you'd get a better response, but AFAIC people will switch off as soon as they read the title of your thread, because it just sounds like yet another childish rant.

I'm not having a go, but I suggest you sit down and write a more detailed and reasonable post, more people will take notice and give suggestions criticisms advice etc and you may learn soemthing from it.

the rage has subside slightly, but after so many false downs and reading tactics biles, ideas and theories i thought i had finally nailed it, and bang - gerrard injuried and the whole team fals to pieces, i have built the team round him so its not too surprising but the fact that i may get the bullet here from those 2 american tw*ts after steering the reds within inches of the title is really grinding my gears (to quote you and family guy :)

Why don't you question why you are beating the big teams and struggling against the lower teams? How many tactics do you use?

i use 3 main tactics: att - att away - and balanced (which is awesome away from home against other big sides)

i also have a 4th counter tactic, but use it rarely, as it has been leaking as of the last 2 times it was used

the rage has subside slightly, but after so many false downs and reading tactics biles, ideas and theories i thought i had finally nailed it, and bang - gerrard injuried and the whole team fals to pieces, i have built the team round him so its not too surprising but the fact that i may get the bullet here from those 2 american tw*ts after steering the reds within inches of the title is really grinding my gears (to quote you and family guy :)

Well Liverpool also built their team around Gerrard and they struggle without him as well IRL, so it's not just you.

i use 3 main tactics: att - att away - and balanced (which is awesome away from home against other big sides)

i also have a 4th counter tactic, but use it rarely, as it has been leaking as of the last 2 times it was used

Maybe you should post your tactics on the tactics forum and ask for some pointers.

This is what I did when I was struggling and got all the help I needed.

Dear Burjennio,

I share your views. I am also stunned how a team can be top of the table and still be beaten by "nothing" sides.

I manage a team too and we were top of the table. My team is world class, if I may say so myself. We regularly beat other world class teams as well and we we've won every game in the league. This past Saturday we were up against probably the weakest team in the league and we were at home. We're 13/2 favourites for the win. Here are the match stats:

my team - opponents

Shots on target: 4 - 5

Shots off target: 12 - 2

Shots blocked: 9 - 2

Corners: 15 - 4

Possession: 63.1% - 36.9%

Territory: 62.1% - 37.9%

The score?

****ing 1 - 2

My tactics almost always work, I have better players and we had better chances. This is ******** too.

Yours truly

Mr A. Wenger

my team - opponents

The score?

****ing 1 - 2

I see nothing wrong with those stats. You made 4 shots on target despite having 16 shots, which to me suggests the quality of chances were very poor. They made 5 and scored 2.

I see nothing wrong with those stats. You made 4 shots on target despite having 16 shots, which to me suggests the quality of chances were very poor. They made 5 and scored 2.

You do realise he was using the Arsenal vs. Hull City match from the weekend as a real life example of why the OP is blowing hot air, right?

cannot make this up, next game home to chelsea, who are already out of the title race, go behind 3 times, equalize 3 times and get a peano in injury time and robbie keane muffs it straight at cech.

total BS

Agree, it's totally unrealistic.

Seriously, dude? You're complaining about Chelsea constantly equalising? I could maybe understand if you were complaining about that and you were playing Grays Athletic. And as for Robbie Keane missing a penalty; I agree, total bs.

Honestly, you're just experiencing football. Again, FM isn't perfect, but you don't get Steve Coppell saying "this game is flawed" after losing 7-4 against Pompey and 6-4 against Spurs. You don't get Wenger saying "this game is bs, the AI cheats" after hammering Sheff Utd 6-0 with the kids, then losing 2-1 at Home to Hull with the first team. You don't get Ronnie Jepson saying "the tactics are too hard" after being 3-0 up with Gillingham at Leyton Orient, only to concede 3 goals in the last 13 minutes against a DEFENDER to draw 3-0. You don't get Rafa Benitez complaining that the game is broken when he's had 27 shots to Stoke's 3 and still couldn't win.

You get my point. Sometimes football isn't fair.

Dear Burjennio,

I share your views. I am also stunned how a team can be top of the table and still be beaten by "nothing" sides.

I manage a team too and we were top of the table. My team is world class, if I may say so myself. We regularly beat other world class teams as well and we we've won every game in the league. This past Saturday we were up against probably the weakest team in the league and we were at home. We're 13/2 favourites for the win. Here are the match stats:

my team - opponents

The score?

****ing 1 - 2

My tactics almost always work, I have better players and we had better chances. This is ******** too.

Yours truly

Mr A. Wenger

:D Brilliant!

You do realise he was using the Arsenal vs. Hull City match from the weekend as a real life example of why the OP is blowing hot air, right?

Erm... or course, I did... I was ... erm... testing you :(

I totally discarded the 'Yours truly, Mr A. Wenger' part :D

Dear Burjennio,

my team - opponents

The score?

****ing 1 - 2

Yours truly

Mr A. Wenger

Would have been better had he not seemingly forgotten that Arsenal lost at Fulham though.

Sorry back on topic. I loved the way that you did that with Arsenal! Pure genius, Although yeah unfortunate that they lost to Fulham! Oh well!

I'm not entirely sure what you're complaining about. You won the league with Liverpool with only one defeat all season. What exactly is the problem?

The AI cheated him out of an unbeaten season and now he's considering moving over to CM, I guess.

I'm not entirely sure what you're complaining about. You won the league with Liverpool with only one defeat all season. What exactly is the problem?

leagues not over yet, arsenal have 2 games in hand - and alex mcleish is managing them! wtf! they are also in the CL final

And as for that Chelsea v Liverpool game??? Chelsea take the lead, Liverpool equalise, Chelsea regain the lead, Liverpool equalise, Chelsea go back in front, Liverpool equalise again. Not sure what the problem is there.

leagues not over yet, arsenal have 2 games in hand - and alex mcleish is managing them! wtf! they are also in the CL final

But at worst you'll finish second in your first season with Liverpool. How can that not be classed as a successful season?

I'm sorry but you're moaning for the sake of it if you think the game's rubbish because you couldn't win the league in your first season.

to clarify

-its my 2nd season, and the board are slightly unhappy, feel i should be doing better and may not offer me a new contract

- im disappointed after going all that way on top of the pile only to choke with 5 games left, from 8 points clear, and lose my undefeated record at a team already relegated

-i havnt won the league in this game after 1,000 attempts in the last 11 months

Archived