The Europa League

I just read on the BBC in this article that the UEFA Cup has officially been rebranded the "Europa League", but the name doesn't come into use until next season. I know that FM can handle changes to competition structure, but can it handle changes to a name in the middle of the tournament? And for that matter, can they do it so close to the release of the game?

Note also that UEFA has decided that losing cup finalists can no longer be given UEFA Cup places, which I guess devolves them to highest league placing instead, and that match money should go up as a result of central TV broadcast contracting. I guess that bit would be counted as a change of format to be encoded.

I just read on the BBC in this article that the UEFA Cup has officially been rebranded the "Europa League", but the name doesn't come into use until next season. I know that FM can handle changes to competition structure, but can it handle changes to a name in the middle of the tournament? And for that matter, can they do it so close to the release of the game?

SI don't use the offical names of the UEFA Cup/Champions League anyway!

Well, the name is just the minor change there!

It'll have a new format with groups of 4 teams with 2 legs before the knock-out round too.

I guess it will be too hard to implement the change in structure in time for release, but as SI have already proven in the past to be able to cope with structure changes I hope it will make it into the first patch at least.

Any word by SI as to how complicated such change is and which solution we can hoper for?

Cheers :)

Note also that UEFA has decided that losing cup finalists can no longer be given UEFA Cup places, which I guess devolves them to highest league placing instead, and that match money should go up as a result of central TV broadcast contracting. I guess that bit would be counted as a change of format to be encoded.

I'd be more interested to know about the recent announcement about Euro 2016 and onwards about the tournament being expanded to 24 teams!

Well so I don't start another thread I would just like to add that I hope they adjust the format on the European Championships as from 2016 it will have 24 teams.

This has now been confirmed.

Hopefully they will add the rule like they did with the increase from 5 to 7 premiership subs on 8.02, so you play a season with 5 then when it changes IRL it changes on your game.

I would like to think these would be added.

I really hope you don't get taken literally on that.

Unfortunately, the same people that have to know the answer to this are those that are allergic to using the "search" function, hence i feel we'll be seeing lots of this until Nov 14th - when the question will change to "will it be called this in the next patch".

/weeps in anticipation

Guest mikeytwigge

the name wont be changed because fm dosent have the rights. the format will be changed but currently in fm its euro cup not uefa cup so it might change to euro league but not europa league. Also can people please stop making these threads, we had loads when they announced the change in format now were getting loads because of the new name. There is a search function which works quite well

As most of you know, UEFA has made some major modifications in the formats of the Uefa Cup and the Euro Championships , starting from 2009-2010 for the UEFA cup and 2016 for the European Championships.

UEFA approves 24-team EURO from 2016

http://www.uefa.com/uefa/keytopics/kind=64/newsid=754190.html

UEFA Cup to become UEFA Europa League

http://www.uefa.com/uefa/keytopics/kind=64/newsid=754085.html

These changes MUST be implemented in the new Football Manager. Are SI working on this very urgent and crucial topic?

Doubt it actually. I can imagine these are Major changes, prolly a bit to late to change this in this late stage of development.

LOL!

The new format of Europa League and Champions League has been decided lots of months ago so IT SHOULD be included to the game!

And please someone from SI confirm if these changes will be included or not in the new game!!

I doubt it will be in this years as it won't be implemeted in real life till 2016, so just wait for FM 2016.

UEFA Cup format will be implemented in real life starting with the 2009/2010 season

And for the Euro champs, do you suggest that players should manage till 2016 and then quit the game? And what if you are head of a national team and you can't go to the Euo 2016 as you finish second in your qualification group? Would not that disgust you ?

I doubt it will be in this years as it won't be implemeted in real life till 2016, so just wait for FM 2016.

They can make changes in the game come into affect in the future and as they are confirmed I don't see why they won't be in the game.

We want this to happen in FM2009 but ingame the season 2009/2010 for UEFA competitions and in 2016 for the Euro CUP..

Apply in game like in real life!

Archived