Conference To Premiership?

People have taken the crappiest club to the CL final within a suspiciously small amount of time.

I took Stafford Rangers to the Premier League in about 20 years.

Yes, I am very aware thats nothing to be proud of. I'm by no means a tactical genius, so there are people who will be able to take them there in half the time. For me, it became hard once I got to League One. I spent about six years trying to get out of that division. No extra money ever plus hardly any wages meant signings were few and far between.

Loan signings and a good parent club are your friends.

Ive taken MK Dons from the bottom of League 2 to the Prem in the 5 years i have been there manager. I found league 2 the easiest, going unbeaten. I then got promoted first season from League 1, and then took me 2 attempts to get up to the prem. Including the first year in which i rescued the dons from relegation, that is my 5 years in management of MK Dons. Bet brentford wish they hadnt have sacked me 6 years ago!

Oh, well, thankyou. I thought it was pretty bad because I spent six or so years in L1 having what seemed to be the same season. I finished midtable five years in a row, and the last year, crept into the playoffs. I had Charlton, I remember it so well, their team were full of 'decent premier league' level players, and apart from my loan signings, my team were full of 'leading league two' and 'decent league one' players.

I'm currently managing Derby, in the Premier League, finished 12th last season, three years into the game. I've hit a brick wall now though.

This is why the majority of my games only last a few seasons.

Ive heard lots of storys how people have won back to back promotions to take teams to the prem from the conference but i to think something smell fishy with this, maybe the old save the game before the next match and reloading if we loose tactic could be in action.:D

Ive heard lots of storys how people have won back to back promotions to take teams to the prem from the conference but i to think something smell fishy with this, maybe the old save the game before the next match and reloading if we loose tactic could be in action.:D

Yeah I've heard a lot of these stories and just can't see it happening unless they are the new Mourinho :)

I can't imagine anything more boring than back to back promotions from BSN/BSS to the Premiersh*t, even with a couple of seasons in one or two leagues it'd still be no fun.

Indeed. I'm not sure what sort of tricks they use to do it because I don't read the tactics or good players forums, but it sounds ridiculous getting a conference team in to the premiership that quickly

Personally on the few occasions I've managed lower league, I've very much enjoyed the slow progression of finishing 13th one season, then 8th the next, until finally making the playoffs and then working my way up the next league

I like finding my own good players and working out my own tactics, even if it means I don't improve very quickly

Indeed. I'm not sure what sort of tricks they use to do it because I don't read the tactics or good players forums, but it sounds ridiculous getting a conference team in to the premiership that quickly

Personally on the few occasions I've managed lower league, I've very much enjoyed the slow progression of finishing 13th one season, then 8th the next, until finally making the playoffs and then working my way up the next league

I like finding my own good players and working out my own tactics, even if it means I don't improve very quickly

Agreed, surviving a relegation dogfight is FAR MORE rewarding than strolling to the league one title.

Never really tried although through an accidental(miss read the bloomin slip) bet today ill be watching Northwick Victoria very closley and if they do their bit to get me some money their my FM09 first game. But previous versions tried Weymouth and got very bored quickly

That's why i'm in favor of difficulty levels. Easy difficulty to those who wants to win everything (don't need to make the game easier, just leave how it is) and the hard difficulty to those who wants to struggle, only a MIRACLE to make a conference team reach Premiership.

I managed to get Gateshead into the Premiership, getting promoted each season on FM06 but not managed it on the FM 07 or 08. It was using dafuges challenge that has been mentioned previously. Found it a lot tougher on the new games as on 06, cheap regens would pop up from everywhere and it would only take a hour or two of looking through the nations and you would find some gems. Much tougher on the recent games, and although my tactics are generally ok, the players I can get are not that great!! I think i got them to league 2 in about 6-7 years on 08. Found the 08 game more enjoyable though and much more exciting.

im currently bromley manager. i taken them from the BSS to the prem and have just won it for the 4th time on the trot as well as my 3rd CL on the trot. im a serial reloader and frankly, proud. i derive my enjoyment in the game from club building and even with the reloading tactic, its not easy. i scraped my way outa league one by goin wayyyy over budget and plummetting into debt to get a team capable of reachin the playoffs, sold my best player that summer and put a mill in the bank and got lucky over the next few yrs with cup draws which kept me in the black. what was hard was the fact that my rep was still low, my stadium was still only 5000 capacity before i reached the prem and so i was constantly losing money, had a **** poor wage budget and not a penny to spend. after 3yrs i had scrambled together a team capable of the play offs but i had to ensure that i won them against vastly superior opposition or else my chairman would have started acceptin bids for all my most important players just to balance the books and id have had no money whatsoever to replace them with and be left with a squad that would struggle to even survive in the division which would have meant going back to league 1 and trying to build up from scratch.

a challenge it would have been but 1 that would have spoilt my enjoyment of the data. i spent 3yrs in league 1, 3 yrs in the championship and could well have been sacked had i gone down and/or ended up in financial meltdown and i have no intentions of managing any other club in this particular career.

I managed to take Burton Albion up to the Championship in 4 years (back to back promotions all the way from the Conference to the Championship) but was then stuck in that league for about 8-9 years. Every team that came down from the prem was just too good. I was happy though to have acheived what i thought was something of a small miracle for Burton Albion. Still never got on their favoured personel though :-(

In FM 07 I took Stafford and York to the Prem, Stafford in 15 seasons and York in 11. I found League One for me the easiest but it took me 5 years in the Conf for Stafford and 4 with York to get out of there. I didn't win anything other then the Carling Cup with Stafford but won the Prem with York in year 16 and the CL in year 18 then FM 08 came out and well you know. I don't see how people can take these teams up so far in a very short time. It took me years to get the right signings, upgrade facilites, scrape survival in the CCC and Prem to get established.

Winning the Champions League with any English club is only a modest achievement, doesn't matter how small they started off. Climbing up the leagues while playing realistically is an achievement, but winning the Champions League once you get there is pretty much a given as an English club.

I used to on the older versions haven't done it on the recent ones as lost interest really. Found the game on my shelf a few months back and have started playing again and had forgotten how addictive it is.

Started a league as Cambridge (not sure why just always used to) as got a couple of promotions in 8 years, was quite happy but with 09 coming out soon will probably not get much further

So far I've taken Stafford Rangers from Conference to just about to start my first season in the Championship. I'm not confidnet going into the season as Everton, Middlesborough and West Ham are in the Championship now and my squads average age is only 19! Planning to consolidate Championship status this season and hopefully make a championship next season. I'm hoping for the exuberance of youth will count in my favour!

Loan signings are key, and buying quality young, cheap players from Eastern Europe :)

Is it just me or do some of these stories of "I took my local park team to the Premier League in 5 years easily without cheating" sound suspiciously made up?

I can't help think that if most of what you guys are saying is true then the game could perhaps be a little too easy?

Is it just me or do some of these stories of "I took my local park team to the Premier League in 5 years easily without cheating" sound suspiciously made up?

I can't help think that if most of what you guys are saying is true then the game could perhaps be a little too easy?

I suspect alot use Genie Scout to find their players. If you find the right players, then the game is easy, but finding the right players is extremely difficult if you don't use Genie.

IMO, of course :)

Check out Dafuges challenge, many people have started at the bottom and become the best team in the world - it's also the best challenge on FM (along with Gundo's:thup:)

Edit: no cheating allowed in either challenge

With all due respect, there's no way to tell if someone is cheating or not if all they have to do is post end of season screenshots.

If you've got the tactics sussed then its pretty easy to overperform. I'm one thats taken small teams from bottom to top repeatedly, and the main thing I use is just plain time. I spend a lot of time on the games, finding good players and the like, and so tend to do pretty well.

I took Merthyr Tydfil after a season and made them world beaters, not back to back, but at about two-three seasons per promotion at a time. Relatively early on I picked up a number of Caribbean youngsters, about Blue Square Prem type level, who turned out to have fantastic potential and helped me all the way to the Premiership, where the sheer amount of TV money involved let me become a challenger pretty easily.

I got lucky a fair amount that some of my players I picked up (regens) ended up with far more potential than expected. One who was a backup for me in the Conference went on to really show me up and ended up world player of the year at Arsenal! An Austrian kid I got on a free developed right along with the club and was a star at every level, a Slovakian who cost me a tenner ended up world class... just a fair amount of luck.

I spent a lot of time on scouting, and relied mainly on youngsters. I probably would have had a much easier time as well if I'd gone a London-based team, since Merthyr Tydfil was so far out of the way I couldnt persuade anyone to join me on loan :p

If you're looking to play a game long-term, then my number one tip would definately be to focus heavily on youth. Very low investment for an above-average reward, either on the pitch or in your bank balance if the bigger teams come looking.

If anyone doubts my honesty and suspects me of cheating, then I'd invite them to have a look at the San Marino challenge - some of my near misses were utterly ridiculously close, and no-one would have known if I'd just replayed that playoff I lost... but I've just always kept at it. Makes it much more rewarding when you lose out that closely and then come back stronger and smash your way through it next time!

I got Barnet from the Conf to the Premier League on CM 00/01 in 6 years but I could sign players like Trevor Benjenium (sp?) and Segei Rebov (sp?) in the second year. (I didn't use an editor or genie or w/e but I'm sure it was a bug as the Foxes and Spurs released them during the first summer). I also got Carlise from Div 3 to the Prem on CM01/02.

I've taken Forest Green from the Blue Square Premier to the Premiership, still playing it but am currently sitting 5th in mid-January in second season, first season we finished a respectable 11th in the table. Taking teams up isn't that difficult at all tbh, all you need is a good parent club, make the full use of loan signing allowances and then good tactics! Got 3 straight promotions, then stayed in the Championship for a season before getting promoted the next season. It's too easy to take a team from that low up all the way, something that needs to be sorted for FM09, while it may be fun to be able say that you've done it, IRL you are NEVER going to see that happen unless there are massive cash injections, or if not then it will take many year...Wigan for example??

I've taken Forest Green from the Blue Square Premier to the Premiership, still playing it but am currently sitting 5th in mid-January in second season, first season we finished a respectable 11th in the table. Taking teams up isn't that difficult at all tbh, all you need is a good parent club, make the full use of loan signing allowances and then good tactics! Got 3 straight promotions, then stayed in the Championship for a season before getting promoted the next season. It's too easy to take a team from that low up all the way, something that needs to be sorted for FM09, while it may be fun to be able say that you've done it, IRL you are NEVER going to see that happen unless there are massive cash injections, or if not then it will take many year...Wigan for example??

I'm in total agreement with that - very few lower league clubs do that well without a cash injection along the way.

For example, Hull City and Doncaster Rovers

Hull City were in League 2 back in 2003, before earning back to back promotions in 2003-04 and 2004-05 thanks to a new chairman ploughing funds into the club. Then they were promoted again in 2007-08 (as we all know) to get in the Premiership thanks to yet another new chairman ploughing funds in the club.

Doncaster Rovers were in the Conference in 2002, earning back to back promotions in 2002-03 because of new investment, then subsequently earning promotion to the Championship last season.

In terms of the game, I've always started relatively high up in the leagues, so haven't managed to do this just yet. I may do it sometime soon, but right now college is too much of a pain..>_<

Nope;).

I've never completed the dafuge or the Gundo challenge, (although I got close to completing the dafuge challenge in FM06 and the Gundo one in FM07).

I'm sure that people do cheat in both these threads, but to be honest it's pretty easy to spot them as they stand out a mile. I used to make a point of keeping a look out for these but don't bother anymore.

Of course with a decent tactic and a scouting programme then it's simply a matter of time before you rise up through the leagues and then Continental success is the last challenge.

There are regulars in both threads who only sign players that their scouts have found, who don't sign ridiculous loans from top teams while in the lower reaches of the structure.

These threads might be in the challenge forum, but it is less a competition against eachother and more a challenge against the game. Anyone who completes these challenges using strict LLM rules deserves praise indeed because despite what others have said above it is NOT easy to do this if you rely only upon your scouts and do not take advantage of "Feeder relationships" which are banned by the FA.

Archived