Assistant manager key attributes

It all depends what you want your assistant to do. I personally look for judging player ability and potential, motivation (for team talks) and tactical knowledge in case he takes charge in friendlies or if i got a touchline ban. It can also help if he is good at a certain training area and gives you 7 stars for that area.

I look for: (In order of priority)

- Motivating - To do your team talks, make sure your team doesn't get downhearted

- Working with Youngsters - To take charge of youth/reserves

- Tactical Knowlege - So he can tell you on your report where you need to improve and for taking charge of matches

- Level of Discipline - Advice me what actions to take as punishments, keep the team in line in training

- Judging Player Ability - Advice you of best line-up when picking team

- Determination - Goes hand-in-hand with Motivation IMO, he stays up-beat (determined) for motivating your team.

- Man Handling - Helps the team overcome difficulties, such as being unhappy

- I don't worry about player potential. I use my scouts for that.

- I don't normally worry about Adaptablitity either, as I like to keep the same Assistant Manager. So they don't have to adapt. I also like to keep the same tactics or training, so they don't have to adapt to tactical changes either.

If you like to do team-talks, team selection yourself then some of these don't have to take priority.

Hope that helps the OP.

- Motivating - To do your team talks, make sure your team doesn't get downhearted

- Tactical Knowlege - So he can tell you on your report where you need to improve and for taking charge of matches

- Level of Discipline - Advice me what actions to take as punishments, keep the team in line in training

- Determination - Goes hand-in-hand with Motivation IMO, he stays up-beat (determined) for motivating your team.

- I don't normally worry about Adaptablitity either, as I like to keep the same Assistant Manager. So they don't have to adapt. I also like to keep the same tactics or training, so they don't have to adapt to tactical changes either.

If you like to do team-talks, team selection yourself then some of these don't have to take priority.

Hope that helps the OP.

The reason i still look for potential is that although your scouts report on potential initially i find it often changes for the better or worse, having an ass man who can keep you upto date helps no end once you've signed the player.

What I find really annoying is that sometimes the staff disagree with a players coach report. This especially annoys me with the younger players as I don't know who to believe and I have to decide whether to loan the player out, release him or play him in my first team. I am never 100% sure I have made the right choice.

I think that a high degree of working with youngsters iis essential for an assistant manager. u

I also like to have an assistant manager to have the same tactical iideas as myself, this means that i dont like cautious oor defensive minded assiatnt managers, instead prefering attacking minded coaches or thoswe with an interest in fitness. If i have a formation I want to pplay, it is a bonus if the assisatnt shares my view, so that this is replicated to best effect on the reserves and u18s etc.

The reason i still look for potential is that although your scouts report on potential initially i find it often changes for the better or worse, having an ass man who can keep you upto date helps no end once you've signed the player.

You can choose between coaches and scouts to view their coach report of each player.

Hrm. See, I always look for judging ability and potential, reason being is that if I get a good scout report on a player, do my own research (ie form, watch a few of his matches, etc) and my opinions are conflicted in one way or another, I usually send my assistant to find out his opinion.

For that reason, I look for all the attributes of a decent scout as well as a coach.

Hope that helps the OP.

i dont think ive ever seen anyone with more than 11 for all of these with maybe one 19 and one 16 or something, so hard to find an amazing ass man! always tempted to make my own lol

Even Assistant Managers with a "Man Management" attribute of 20 fail to deal with team talks properly, and often leave players feeling like "You aren't giving the team enough credit".

As far as I am aware, the Ass. Man has been beefed up for '09 which will be welcome because at the minute he's useless, regardless of his "ability"... :(

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...
It all depends what you want your assistant to do. I personally look for judging player ability and potential, motivation (for team talks) and tactical knowledge in case he takes charge in friendlies or if i got a touchline ban. It can also help if he is good at a certain training area and gives you 7 stars for that area.

Same here, since he also gives advice during contract talks.

Archived