Something for the oldies (30+)

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 Started on the original Championship Manager Amiga A500 and played every version since. Seen many a football manager game come and go since but only CM or as is now FM is still going strong. Well done SI :)

DITTO! 36 here and played the original FM on a ZX Spectrum 48k! Got really hooked though with CM Italia on the Amiga 500. The Inter team had Schillaci (ahhh, little Toto), Sosa and Bergkamp.

Played the first ever Championship Manager on My Amiga all i remeber was the codes like page 16 result 2 or summit was quality problem was the game was always corrupt use to fukc up around march time i think well my mates version did mine was mint !:)

I started as a kid of about five or six on the original Football Manager back in the late '80s/early '90s. I didn't play CM until CM97/98 when I first had a computer capable of handling a CM game.

And I'm 23 (but I feel older than 30, if that makes my post eligible!)

The very first one with fake names and the fake Big Fat Ron lookalike. I remember thinking it would be the best game ever if it had real names then came along CM93......

Oh happy days!! I'm deffo with the man on this one, I thought exactly the same, real players would make the game immense.... now look at it - blimey how it's grown!

What the younger generation will never appreciate was the ever present danger of your save game disks corrupting. 93/94 etc lasted 50 seasons as I recall, the odds of it ever making it that far were slim to none however (unless you were sensible and make backups I guess).

There'd also be none of this asking 'when do the new regens appear?' nonsense - there was no mistaking it when it took approx. 2 hours to process the rollover to the new season. You had to make serious plans to go do something productive with those couple of hours of life while your Amiga was churning away for that length of time, so your could get stuck into it again.

lol at some of these posts.29 an started on the very first one,i forgot bout the blue screen scoreboard an the endless waiting for the new season to start lol i remember cm italia like it was yesterday with lineker at grampus8 buying maradona and bebeto for milan althou i had to rotate them with the dutch trio due to the 3 foreigner rule.Also remember having conversations with my school mates about why shearer didnt score as much as he did irl lol an 15years later i'm lookin forward to 09 more than any previous edition, is that sad enough for ya? lol

lol at some of these posts.29 an started on the very first one,i forgot bout the blue screen scoreboard an the endless waiting for the new season to start lol i remember cm italia like it was yesterday with lineker at grampus8 buying maradona and bebeto for milan althou i had to rotate them with the dutch trio due to the 3 foreigner rule.Also remember having conversations with my school mates about why shearer didnt score as much as he did irl lol an 15years later i'm lookin forward to 09 more than any previous edition, is that sad enough for ya? lol

Is that sad? I bought my friends striker for £60M plus 50 real life quid last night in a network game. That is pretty sad, I admit.

On topic. 26 years old and been playing since the first CM back in '92.

Is that sad? I bought my friends striker for £60M plus 50 real life quid last night in a network game. That is pretty sad, I admit.

On topic. 26 years old and been playing since the first CM back in '92.

lol i don't think i would phsyically part with real cash to buy anyone but then your probably richer than me!

Whats with this over 30 stuff?

Im 25 and I started on the very first Championship Manager in 1992 aged 10 :)

Me too, i'm 27, bought the very first CM at age 12 and have been hooked ever since. Still love Ferrah Orosco to this day!

I'm 30, started on CM1 on the Amiga aged 14. It was a big craze on our playground, really must ask some of the others and see if they still play :)

CM2 in 1992 for me during my exams!!!!

You mean CM1, surely? CM2 didn't come out until 1995, CM1 was 1992! ;)

I played the first footy management sim distributed by Domark, I thought it was called "The Manager" and made by SI, but maybe I'm talking about CM1?

Great game, fake names all round, 4-2-4 and you'd win every game (kinda like the AI now ;))

I played the first footy management sim distributed by Domark, I thought it was called "The Manager" and made by SI, but maybe I'm talking about CM1?

Great game, fake names all round, 4-2-4 and you'd win every game (kinda like the AI now ;))

I'm pretty sure that Football Manager by Kevin Toms (can't remember the name of his company) was the first game out there. I played it on the BBC Micro in the late '80s! It came on a cassette!

Archived