Keeping a Game Going

The furthest i've ever got on FM2008 is 2020s with Newport, but apart from that my best is 2012 at best. Lately its got even worse, because i really struggle getting past 1 season. The main way that i end games is that i finish a season, look forward to the next season, buy some players, then get really bored by the end of pre-season/start of season.

i've tried a career game as well, but i need to have at least 3 divisions from each country to make this work, but my laptop can't handle that really

I was wondering what everyone does to make a game last more than just a year or two, especially if you're managing a club right at the top, like arsenal

I find the second season "itch" a real problem.

Finished 15th in my first season with West Brom, strenghtened the squad in all areas over the summer and started well by winning my first two matches, then went on a 10 game winless streak!!! I get to the stage that when you cant buy a win in any game its tough to stay motivated to play.

My furthest in FM08 is 2014, but that was with 4 different clubs.

In previous incarnations I've managed really good long term games at all levels, it just hasnt happened in 08 :(

I usually get my squad sorted then go around trying to get full stars for my training by searching around for coaches. After that I get the best scouts and send them to the Under 19 leagues of whatever leagues I have running to develop the youth in the hope transfer fees become a thing of the past for me!

Nearest I got was with Arsenal to having a fully regen team I paid buttons for in about 2016.

Guest Tru Lyfe

hmmmm what about aiming for world domination as a means to keep you going?

At Least

3 Champions League Titles (With at least 2 different teams)

3 League Titles

A World Cup.

Furthest I've gotten is 2024 but then I got a virus on the laptop and it refused to load after that. Would of carried on..seen a thread were someone did a career spanning nearly a hundred years..Think it was in the challenges forum

I find the thing that keeps me going is forming an emotional attachment to individual players ... there's nothing more satisfying, in my mind, than identifying a regen with plenty of talent, bringing him along through the ranks, promoting him to the first team, making him your captain, and then keeping him in the starting lineup as he gets older .. seeing how long he can last, at a high level.

I've usually got five or six "favourites" in my club at any one time, some of the elder-statesmen variety, and some of the I-can't-wait-to-see-how-he-turns-out variety.

That strategy won't carry you past the "I'm dominating the world" boredom, though, which is a real problem especially with fewer leagues and a smaller DB, as you might have on your laptop.

For that, I think the only solution is switching teams and trying to beat your former club without buying any of their players!

Try to better Alex Ferguson's career record without cheating by reloading save games. It's very satisfying

What record is that? The "bribing the ref to keeping adding on time till you score". I think the record stands at 154 minutes, vs Bayern Munich.

Oh, he holds a lot of records, as do some of his players. I'm sure Ronaldo holds the records for the most amount of dives in a ten minute period, Eric Cantona holds the award for the greatest shot in the world(at a Palace fan), the list goes on.

Archived