New FM Magazine coming. Anybody want to be apart?

Hey! I've been looking at magazines that have been made for FM such as the bootroom and so on, but have noticed that they have not continued. I am hoping to do a monthly one and wanting people to help if possible such as write articles or help with the design.

Also, If a moderator or so on could give me copyright to use their imagery and logos in this magazine as it will be displayed on here and also for my use as example work for the college I go too. This isn't to my own profit, I'm not one of those street dealers :D

If anybody is interested in signing up to this that will be great. I plan a website and such and you can contact me through private messages.

The working title for this magazine will be called 'FanZone Magazine', 'FanZone' or 'The FanZone' so hopefully it will go to plan.

I will need people who are great at writing articles, good at website coding/designing and photoshoping to help me. I'm good at the first and last.

Hey! I've been looking at magazines that have been made for FM such as the bootroom and so on, but have noticed that they have not continued. I am hoping to do a monthly one and wanting people to help if possible such as write articles or help with the design.

Also, If a moderator or so on could give me copyright to use their imagery and logos in this magazine as it will be displayed on here and also for my use as example work for the college I go too. This isn't to my own profit, I'm not one of those street dealers :D

If anybody is interested in signing up to this that will be great. I plan a website and such and you can contact me through private messages.

The working title for this magazine will be called 'FanZone Magazine', 'FanZone' or 'The FanZone' so hopefully it will go to plan.

I will need people who are great at writing articles, good at website coding/designing and photoshoping to help me. I'm good at the first and last.

Good luck with the magazine, its bloomin hard work and will be very time consuming!

Couple of words of warning - you will need permission from SI, best to ask Ter or Miles for this and you will need to make the 'zine in a format most people can see / read. Also really have a long hard think about releasing monthly magazines - we tried it and just couldn't get enough time to get each version done.

I have been designing for The Bootroom since the first issue and we have made a few changes recently, we are working alongside a new site and are looking at our new design with issue 4 in progress. With all the excitement around FM Live and FM09 it will be great to have another 'zine around to help give the most information!

As Ginger hints, The Bootroom is not dead, just trying to sort out how we can keep it functioning and not stall in future.

With regard to an online magazine, if you go that way make sure it is still printable. Things like team guides or hints and tips are easier to use that way.

I would think very seriously about going monthly - the volume of articles we went through it was impossible to sustain.

Anyway good luck. I hope it works - the more stuff we have like this the better.

I'd love to help out. I've done some creative writing work for Hasbro and their Collectable Card Game section in the past, dealing with this sort of thing. I also specialize in the MLS, which is something of a rarity from what I have been seeing on the boards (I could be wrong). Let me know if you are interested. The email is knight_lord3@hotmail.com There is an Underscore between the t and l that does not show up.

Incidentally i think the magazine name is cack, that is all.

Not very helpful! At least contribute something encouraging or give them your ideas for a name.

Whilst i am not good at any of the things you need help with, I applaud anyone who is prepared to spend their own time, effort and money in doing things like this that will only benefit the fans of the game.

I will definately read it and am quite happy to give you my thoughts and ideas - PM me and i will do what I can.

Cheers

You will also need proof readers. Don't understimate this task - it is at least 50% of the task of writing if you want quality, readability and consistency.

A few other points from experience of The Bootroom (both SI's version and the independant incarnation). These are just my opinion, so take them on board or ignore them as you see fit.

- Set deadlines for articles not the whole magazine. If you have one big deadline day, that is when you will get all the articles in (or after!) and that creates one heck of a bottleneck in production. Holiday games and experiments take time, so make sure you allow for that. Make sure any reviews are based on fact, not memory. Research and verification takes time too.

- Make sure you get screenshots/pictures with your articles if you need them. Having to find 80 suitable pictures in one final fling before the release date is not fun! Then again maybe you won't need as many pictures in your format, who knows!

- Make sure your release schedule matches up with your ambitions. Monthly issues mean you run the risk of exhautsing the subject - or the writers. If you want to go monthly, I don't recommend trying to publish twenty-five 3000 word articles at a time (it's a mammoth task), so maybe aim at a shorter length or less articles and consider alternating regular features. You can still cover a subject quite well in 1500. Or of course, you could consider bi-monthly, or quarterly and make one bumper issue. Just remember the deadline bottlenecks if you go that way!

- You WILL need to chase people up. Some people will need no prompting, some will produce with a gentle nudge and some will never reply to your emails. Having a plan b is always useful!

Er, that's all I can think of for now.

The Team

Me - Team Leader

Neji - Magazine Designer

SCIAG - Article Writer

sirgeordie - Journalist

I will help out in the designing and some articles too.

We are still requesting for:

Assistant Team Leader

Someone who can takeover and chase people for deadlines, receive sent articles, designs and reports back to me.

Article Writers

We need some inspiring writers for the magazine and website!

Journalists

We need people to report on the latest football gossip on the site!

The Team

Me - Team Leader

Neji - Magazine Designer

SCIAG - Article Writer

sirgeordie - Journalist

I will help out in the designing and some articles too.

We are still requesting for:

Assistant Team Leader

Someone who can takeover and chase people for deadlines, receive sent articles, designs and reports back to me.

Article Writers

We need some inspiring writers for the magazine and website!

Journalists

We need people to report on the latest football gossip on the site!

If you want mate I'd write an article on whatever you want and if you like it I could some more for you

Archived