Russian League

So I'm thinking of start a game in the Russian League on FM09 - just wanted to know if anyone had previously played in this league and what they thought of it? I know it runs from about March - October, rather than August - May, so will there be periods where your star players are missing during the summer for World Cups/Euro Championships? Or is it implemented on FM that the Russian season will take a break (like it did this year) so that you don't lose your internationals? And if yes, does it only happen if Russia qualify, or every two years regardless?

Thanks!

But the foreigner limit in the Russian league gets more and more strict. In 2008 (this season, the first playable one in FM2009) you're only allowed to have 7 foreigners on the pitch at the same time (and it takes 12 years to get Russian citizenship :D ). The allowed number of foreigners decreases by one each year. I don't know for how long though, because I quit my Amkar game in 2009 :p

You also have to include 2 homegrown U20-players in the match squad, which quickly became hard in FM2008 due to the poor player development and the low starting CA of regens.

It wasn't as great in FM2008 as in FM2007 but that was mostly the fault of the game and not the league. So I'm really, really looking forward to it in FM2009.

But the foreigner limit in the Russian league gets more and more strict. In 2008 (this season, the first playable one in FM2009) you're only allowed to have 7 foreigners on the pitch at the same time (and it takes 12 years to get Russian citizenship :D ). The allowed number of foreigners decreases by one each year. I don't know for how long though, because I quit my Amkar game in 2009 :p

You also have to include 2 homegrown U20-players in the match squad, which quickly became hard in FM2008 due to the poor player development and the low starting CA of regens.

It wasn't as great in FM2008 as in FM2007 but that was mostly the fault of the game and not the league. So I'm really, really looking forward to it in FM2009.

Well hopefully the emergence of quality teams like Zenit and Spartak will only help improve the quality of the league on FM

This thread excites me! I am an enthusiast for the Russian league on FM. It is my favourite of all the leagues I've ever played in. My personal favourite team to manage is Dinamo Moscow. It's hard to be successful with them because they lack the players and the finances that Zenit St. Petersburg and the other Moscow clubs have. But they're big enough so that hard work can pay off if you stick at it.

My favourite team to play in Russia is Spartak Moscow followed by Zenit Peterburg. The only problem with the league is that the best teams to play all seem to be rivals to each other e.g. Spartak rival to all Moscow teams etc. Can make it hard to get good Russian players, also there doesn't seem to be any really good Russian regens. As stated above you do have problems with the league rules regarding players in the match squad.

If you chose to play in Russia then Spartak is useful due to having Pavlyuchenko (goal machine) and Prudnikov both good strikers, though it can be very hard to get good 5 star coaches early on in the game.

Pavlyuchenko is now Tottenham property. Zenit should definitely be the best team and they do have Pogrebnyak(who is as good as Pavly), not to mention Arshavin & Danny. They also get a new covered stadium (Gazprom Arena), so no more problems with the bad weather in Russia. Anyway both Arshavin & Danny(he did cost 30 million euros) should have higher CAs and it better be in the 160s. IMO Russian league should get an increase in reputation too.

Lot of good info there AB-forever! I always try include plenty players of the nationality of the club in my squad, so this shouldn't be too much of a problem, more a motivation to help me do it more. I also think it would be great to manage a team that isn't Spartak or Zenit, that way I could (hopefully) make a third good team, further increasing the reputation of the league (rather than just a two-horse race) and perhaps even gain extra Champions League spots.

In that case try either Lokomotiv, Dinamo Moscow, CSKA Moscow or FC Moscow. But IMO it will be almost the same as playing with either Zenit or Spartak. For some reason I've had more of challenge winning the league with Zenit, weird I know, and my easiest league win was with Lokomotiv. For more of a challange try Rubin. They're actually leading the Russian league with 6 point and are playing Spartak away today. With FM08 it's hard winning with Rubin.

On FM09 I think there will be 6 foreign players allowed on the first season and 5 every season after that. Also league reputation cannot be increased in FM. As far as Champions League, Russia will send 3 teams to the next Champions League season.

Lot of good info there AB-forever! I always try include plenty players of the nationality of the club in my squad, so this shouldn't be too much of a problem, more a motivation to help me do it more. I also think it would be great to manage a team that isn't Spartak or Zenit, that way I could (hopefully) make a third good team, further increasing the reputation of the league (rather than just a two-horse race) and perhaps even gain extra Champions League spots.

Glad to be able to help :) one of my favorite clubs in the Russian league is Amkar. I don't know why actually because they aren't very good nor do they have much money :p

League reputation cannot be increased in FM? Are you sure? How come? Surely this would be a paramount feature as in long term games you could make Russia/Romania/Holland etc to compete with England/Spain/Italy as one of the best leagues in the world.

In FM2008 this didn't happen. Don't ask me why. I hope it'll be possible in FM2009.

Well hopefully the emergence of quality teams like Zenit and Spartak will only help improve the quality of the league on FM

Spartak aren't quality, if you say they are then Dynamo Kyiv are the best team in the world because they beat them 8-2 in CL qualifiers (on agg 4-1 twice)

Dinamo are not a bad side. I remember having a good game with them before I got bored because I couldn't hold onto many of my star players. I sold Danny for £4m I undervalued him seeing as he went for so much in real life. Kerzahkov is brillant and most of their players are a good standard I was 4th in the league when I quit, Challenging CSKA, Zenit and Spartak.

Guest epping2ongar

irl as of 2012 the russian league may be moving to the standard august to may football calender.....despite protests from the more remote clubs such as tom..

Archived