+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 25 of 25

Thread: Russian League

  1. #1
    Amateur
    Join Date
    14th November 2004
    Location
    London
    Posts
    157

    Question Russian League

    So I'm thinking of start a game in the Russian League on FM09 - just wanted to know if anyone had previously played in this league and what they thought of it? I know it runs from about March - October, rather than August - May, so will there be periods where your star players are missing during the summer for World Cups/Euro Championships? Or is it implemented on FM that the Russian season will take a break (like it did this year) so that you don't lose your internationals? And if yes, does it only happen if Russia qualify, or every two years regardless?

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Amateur
    Join Date
    14th November 2004
    Location
    London
    Posts
    157

    Default Re: Russian League

    No one played in Russia before?

  3. #3
    Amateur
    Join Date
    18th June 2008
    Location
    Farthest corner of the OAP care home
    Posts
    162

    Default Re: Russian League

    Id be intrested to hear any comments because ive always wanted to try this league too. . . .

  4. #4
    Amateur
    Join Date
    4th July 2007
    Location
    Currently Managing: GENOA C&FC
    Posts
    247

    Default Re: Russian League

    No they have a break when there are world cup, euro championships etc. This happens always not just if Russia go through.

    To the contrary, you African players won't miss the January part of the season as you'd be in close season

  5. #5
    Amateur
    Join Date
    4th July 2007
    Location
    Currently Managing: GENOA C&FC
    Posts
    247

    Default Re: Russian League

    I might also add that you might have a problem with the CL games in November/December as your players will start to lose match fitness although it's not too much of a problem, as injured players end up not losing any games due to the length of time between games.

  6. #6
    Amateur
    Join Date
    14th November 2004
    Location
    London
    Posts
    157

    Default Re: Russian League

    Cool, that's interesting. Thanks for the info. I think I'm gonna choose me a Russian team with lots of money come November 14th! Hehe.

  7. #7
    Amateur
    Join Date
    24th November 2007
    Posts
    271

    Default Re: Russian League

    so cold out in russia

  8. #8
    First Team Squad Member
    Join Date
    4th August 2007
    Location
    www.otf2.com
    Posts
    16,220

    Default Re: Russian League

    Quote Originally Posted by gonzález View Post
    Cool, that's interesting. Thanks for the info. I think I'm gonna choose me a Russian team with lots of money come November 14th! Hehe.
    The obvious choice is Zenit mainly because of Arshavin. Then probably Spartak Moscow.

  9. #9
    Semi Pro
    Join Date
    14th September 2005
    Location
    Sborg, Denmark
    Posts
    2,211

    Default Re: Russian League

    But the foreigner limit in the Russian league gets more and more strict. In 2008 (this season, the first playable one in FM2009) you're only allowed to have 7 foreigners on the pitch at the same time (and it takes 12 years to get Russian citizenship ). The allowed number of foreigners decreases by one each year. I don't know for how long though, because I quit my Amkar game in 2009

    You also have to include 2 homegrown U20-players in the match squad, which quickly became hard in FM2008 due to the poor player development and the low starting CA of regens.

    It wasn't as great in FM2008 as in FM2007 but that was mostly the fault of the game and not the league. So I'm really, really looking forward to it in FM2009.

  10. #10
    First Team Squad Member
    Join Date
    4th August 2007
    Location
    www.otf2.com
    Posts
    16,220

    Default Re: Russian League

    Quote Originally Posted by AB-forever View Post
    But the foreigner limit in the Russian league gets more and more strict. In 2008 (this season, the first playable one in FM2009) you're only allowed to have 7 foreigners on the pitch at the same time (and it takes 12 years to get Russian citizenship ). The allowed number of foreigners decreases by one each year. I don't know for how long though, because I quit my Amkar game in 2009

    You also have to include 2 homegrown U20-players in the match squad, which quickly became hard in FM2008 due to the poor player development and the low starting CA of regens.

    It wasn't as great in FM2008 as in FM2007 but that was mostly the fault of the game and not the league. So I'm really, really looking forward to it in FM2009.
    Well hopefully the emergence of quality teams like Zenit and Spartak will only help improve the quality of the league on FM

  11. #11
    Reserves
    Join Date
    20th May 2006
    Location
    Prettier than Luke Chadwick... Just
    Posts
    10,156

    Default Re: Russian League

    This thread excites me! I am an enthusiast for the Russian league on FM. It is my favourite of all the leagues I've ever played in. My personal favourite team to manage is Dinamo Moscow. It's hard to be successful with them because they lack the players and the finances that Zenit St. Petersburg and the other Moscow clubs have. But they're big enough so that hard work can pay off if you stick at it.

  12. #12
    Amateur
    Join Date
    27th October 2006
    Posts
    105

    Default Re: Russian League

    My favourite team to play in Russia is Spartak Moscow followed by Zenit Peterburg. The only problem with the league is that the best teams to play all seem to be rivals to each other e.g. Spartak rival to all Moscow teams etc. Can make it hard to get good Russian players, also there doesn't seem to be any really good Russian regens. As stated above you do have problems with the league rules regarding players in the match squad.
    If you chose to play in Russia then Spartak is useful due to having Pavlyuchenko (goal machine) and Prudnikov both good strikers, though it can be very hard to get good 5 star coaches early on in the game.

  13. #13
    Amateur
    Join Date
    1st October 2007
    Posts
    150

    Default Re: Russian League

    Pavlyuchenko is now Tottenham property. Zenit should definitely be the best team and they do have Pogrebnyak(who is as good as Pavly), not to mention Arshavin & Danny. They also get a new covered stadium (Gazprom Arena), so no more problems with the bad weather in Russia. Anyway both Arshavin & Danny(he did cost 30 million euros) should have higher CAs and it better be in the 160s. IMO Russian league should get an increase in reputation too.

  14. #14
    Amateur
    Join Date
    14th November 2004
    Location
    London
    Posts
    157

    Default Re: Russian League

    Lot of good info there AB-forever! I always try include plenty players of the nationality of the club in my squad, so this shouldn't be too much of a problem, more a motivation to help me do it more. I also think it would be great to manage a team that isn't Spartak or Zenit, that way I could (hopefully) make a third good team, further increasing the reputation of the league (rather than just a two-horse race) and perhaps even gain extra Champions League spots.

  15. #15
    Amateur
    Join Date
    1st October 2007
    Posts
    150

    Default Re: Russian League

    In that case try either Lokomotiv, Dinamo Moscow, CSKA Moscow or FC Moscow. But IMO it will be almost the same as playing with either Zenit or Spartak. For some reason I've had more of challenge winning the league with Zenit, weird I know, and my easiest league win was with Lokomotiv. For more of a challange try Rubin. They're actually leading the Russian league with 6 point and are playing Spartak away today. With FM08 it's hard winning with Rubin.

    On FM09 I think there will be 6 foreign players allowed on the first season and 5 every season after that. Also league reputation cannot be increased in FM. As far as Champions League, Russia will send 3 teams to the next Champions League season.

  16. #16
    Amateur
    Join Date
    14th November 2004
    Location
    London
    Posts
    157

    Default Re: Russian League

    League reputation cannot be increased in FM? Are you sure? How come? Surely this would be a paramount feature as in long term games you could make Russia/Romania/Holland etc to compete with England/Spain/Italy as one of the best leagues in the world.

  17. #17
    Semi Pro
    Join Date
    14th September 2005
    Location
    Sborg, Denmark
    Posts
    2,211

    Default Re: Russian League

    Quote Originally Posted by gonzález View Post
    Lot of good info there AB-forever! I always try include plenty players of the nationality of the club in my squad, so this shouldn't be too much of a problem, more a motivation to help me do it more. I also think it would be great to manage a team that isn't Spartak or Zenit, that way I could (hopefully) make a third good team, further increasing the reputation of the league (rather than just a two-horse race) and perhaps even gain extra Champions League spots.
    Glad to be able to help one of my favorite clubs in the Russian league is Amkar. I don't know why actually because they aren't very good nor do they have much money


    Quote Originally Posted by gonzález View Post
    League reputation cannot be increased in FM? Are you sure? How come? Surely this would be a paramount feature as in long term games you could make Russia/Romania/Holland etc to compete with England/Spain/Italy as one of the best leagues in the world.
    In FM2008 this didn't happen. Don't ask me why. I hope it'll be possible in FM2009.

  18. #18
    Amateur
    Join Date
    1st August 2007
    Location
    Bradford but @ Hull uni
    Posts
    21

    Default Re: Russian League

    Quote Originally Posted by TomHAVFC View Post
    Well hopefully the emergence of quality teams like Zenit and Spartak will only help improve the quality of the league on FM
    Spartak aren't quality, if you say they are then Dynamo Kyiv are the best team in the world because they beat them 8-2 in CL qualifiers (on agg 4-1 twice)

  19. #19
    First Team Squad Member
    Join Date
    4th August 2007
    Location
    www.otf2.com
    Posts
    16,220

    Default Re: Russian League

    Quote Originally Posted by PC-Bantam View Post
    Spartak aren't quality, if you say they are then Dynamo Kyiv are the best team in the world because they beat them 8-2 in CL qualifiers (on agg 4-1 twice)
    Okok, maybe I used the word quality a bit too lightly there although Zenit are a quality team.

  20. #20
    Amateur
    Join Date
    11th September 2008
    Posts
    119

    Default Re: Russian League

    I played there with Zenit, but all the Euro Cup and Champions League games started after I'd finished my season. Pogrebnyak is an amazing player in that league. He scored for fun. I also won 2 league titles in 2 years. If you were to be any team be Zenit.
    Last edited by mascherano20; 25-09-2008 at 17:51.

  21. #21
    Youth Team
    Join Date
    11th August 2007
    Location
    Blah
    Posts
    5,088

    Default Re: Russian League

    CSKA win the league with ease whenever i play as teams like Spartak or Lokomotiv.

  22. #22
    Third Team
    Join Date
    21st November 2006
    Location
    Jeg vet ikke: Xbox Live: metlika87
    Posts
    6,535

    Default Re: Russian League

    Dinamo are not a bad side. I remember having a good game with them before I got bored because I couldn't hold onto many of my star players. I sold Danny for 4m I undervalued him seeing as he went for so much in real life. Kerzahkov is brillant and most of their players are a good standard I was 4th in the league when I quit, Challenging CSKA, Zenit and Spartak.

  23. #23
    Amateur
    Join Date
    22nd July 2008
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    766

    Default Re: Russian League

    i played in russian league with zenit i found it intresting however when the league season finishes you would be playing in europe so would be good to get a few friendlys in

  24. #24
    Amateur
    Join Date
    1st October 2008
    Posts
    40

    Default Re: Russian League

    I love plpaying as Zenit, cantr wait for FM2009, they are going to be great

  25. #25
    epping2ongar
    Guest

    Default Re: Russian League

    irl as of 2012 the russian league may be moving to the standard august to may football calender.....despite protests from the more remote clubs such as tom..

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts