Tell me what I'm doing wrong re: getting a National Management job

I'm in 2033, coaching Chelsea, I've won the Premier 3 years straight and 2 Champions League in 4 years. World Cup qualifications end, 6 jobs open up for national management, including Northern Ireland, Switzerland, Belgium, Croatia, Ukraine and Portugal. I have 4 of those nations loaded (out of 13 nations loaded overall). I express interest in the jobs at Northern Ireland and Switzerland. On both jobs, the news item lists me as the favorite for the position. I never get an interview, nothing else is mentioned, a week later I find Northern Ireland's being managed by some guy with an 81-50-84 career record, Switzerland's being managed by a Dutchman with 143-51-59 record. I'm at 182-34-26 at Chelsea, and have won 67% in my overall career.

It's like my former player, Andrija Zivkovic retires, coaches in my reserves for a few months, gets hired by Ipswich Town, goes 14-8-14, and then moves from 10th place Ipswich to 2nd place Nottingham Forest. He's going to be managing in the Premier League maybe next season, less than two years after he was playing for me.

So TL:DR how can I continue to be ignored for national management, when I'm the winningest manager active in the save?

Try applying for the vacancies, if your rep is much higher than what those nations would expect to be able to attract then declaring an interest is not enough.

I'm english, I was in the championship 3 star rep, not won a thing and getting crazy job offers from Italy and Spain and the likes, lots of national jobs, switzerland every time it came up, never england. I used to have to turn down lots of national jobs, In the prem it stopped.

unless you are in the top 20 managers of all time in hall of fame, it will be harder to get a national job.

Totally incorrect. It's nothing to do with the hall of fame.

I'm in 2033, coaching Chelsea, I've won the Premier 3 years straight and 2 Champions League in 4 years. World Cup qualifications end, 6 jobs open up for national management, including Northern Ireland, Switzerland, Belgium, Croatia, Ukraine and Portugal. I have 4 of those nations loaded (out of 13 nations loaded overall). I express interest in the jobs at Northern Ireland and Switzerland. On both jobs, the news item lists me as the favorite for the position. I never get an interview, nothing else is mentioned, a week later I find Northern Ireland's being managed by some guy with an 81-50-84 career record, Switzerland's being managed by a Dutchman with 143-51-59 record. I'm at 182-34-26 at Chelsea, and have won 67% in my overall career.

It's like my former player, Andrija Zivkovic retires, coaches in my reserves for a few months, gets hired by Ipswich Town, goes 14-8-14, and then moves from 10th place Ipswich to 2nd place Nottingham Forest. He's going to be managing in the Premier League maybe next season, less than two years after he was playing for me.

So TL:DR how can I continue to be ignored for national management, when I'm the winningest manager active in the save?

You don't get interviews for international positions, but by the sounds of it you never actually applied. Of course, that shouldn't really matter, as declaring interest should probably prompt them to offer it if you sound like the better candidate. My advice would be to apply next time. A lot of jobs usually come up post-tournament, usually not too hard to get one from that point.

did you put in an application? Or just declare interest?

Maybe it was because the job had just opened up, but the only thing that displayed when I viewed the job opening was "express interest". And since in previous FMs I had received national job offers without even applying, I couldn't understand how I can now be at the top of the active coach list and receive NO interest.

unless you are in the top 20 managers of all time in hall of fame, it will be harder to get a national job.

Last year I was offered the Australia job (didn't even have that nation loaded - took them to the World Cup semi-finals), and was nowhere near the top 20 managers at the time, had just been promoted to the top league in an expanded US database.

You don't get interviews for international positions, but by the sounds of it you never actually applied. Of course, that shouldn't really matter, as declaring interest should probably prompt them to offer it if you sound like the better candidate. My advice would be to apply next time. A lot of jobs usually come up post-tournament, usually not too hard to get one from that point.

Is there a setting/subscription specifically to see international job openings? They don't seem to show up in my inbox/newsfeed, I only found them in this save because I knew that World Cup qualifying had ended, and I was just looking at the national pages for countries I had loaded and saw that the position had been vacated. But to express interest (which was the only option displayed at that time), get an inbox that I was the leading candidate, and then not even see an inbox item that the position had been filled. I had to go look a week or two later and see that the job had been filled, by someone that was nowhere near as qualified and not even that nationality.

Is there a setting/subscription specifically to see international job openings? They don't seem to show up in my inbox/newsfeed, I only found them in this save because I knew that World Cup qualifying had ended, and I was just looking at the national pages for countries I had loaded and saw that the position had been vacated. But to express interest (which was the only option displayed at that time), get an inbox that I was the leading candidate, and then not even see an inbox item that the position had been filled. I had to go look a week or two later and see that the job had been filled, by someone that was nowhere near as qualified and not even that nationality.

Not sure, I always just have an eye open for them. Usually happens either on the night of, or the day after, the final of each tournament. Euros and World Cup especially. Just watch the job screen on that date and there'll usually be loads. As my save developed, I got to be a decent enough rep that after each tournament, I've usually got five or six nations offering. One or two top-tier nations, then a few chancers. Scotland hired, then sacked me after one tournament, and have twice offered me the job back.

In the job centre open the filters, untick all except manager (obviously) then on the country options tick the "all countries" box.

National openings show up alongside all the club openings then, its a case of using the column sorts to find the one that suits you when flicking through looking for countries. I can't remember off hand but one of the columns often has nothing in for countries so if you sort by that column it groups the national jobs together.

EDIT

Its the position column thats often empty unless the country is in a qualifying group for a tournament.

Archived