Which MC should I sign? (Is Pogba THAT good & worth crazy money)?

When buying players I usually bid for 4-5 at a time & once the deal is confirmed I delay whilst I wait on the others and then evaluate who i want.

Here's 4 deals I currently have delayed:

1. Paul Pogba - Game Value: £56M - Transfer fee will be: £94M

2. Thiago (Bayern) - Game Value: £28.5M - Transfer fee will be: £40M

3. Javi Martinez - Game Value: £27M - Transfer fee will be: £33M

4. Moussa Sissoko - Game Value: £17M - Transfer fee will be: £25M

I also went for Pjanic & Gundogan but wasn't willing to pay their demands.

Obvious one is Pogba, but I have doubts. Thats an insane amount of money, even more so for an MC. I'm also worried the way the game plays how effective he can be from MC position as in my 1 season to date they don't seem to score many goals - my best MC last season got 3 goals & 6 assists with 7.30 rating in 40 games. Normally for a fee this size I'd be looking for 30 goals a season, a rating of at least 7.8 & loads of assists but I don't see how that can be realistic in MC. To players that have had him; is he worth that money?

Thinking now I'll cancel Thiago - I'm just not paying £40M for him. I'm also inclined to pick Martinez out of the 4. Sissoko is in there because he was immense for Newcastle in the league last season but I don't know how well he plays at MC as his best position appears to be AMR.

Looking for other players to give me some advice based on their experiences in these players, especially Pogba. I don't want to blow the guts of £100M plus his insane contract fees for a half decent player in central midfield when for less money I could get some one else.

Pogba can do everything and is deadly from long range. 10+ goals a season in the right role & tactic? Ez.

Thiago is far too injury prone and I certainly wouldn't play him in CM (not without several enforcers at least).

I don't know about Javi Martinez but he has spent more time injured than on the pitch in my save.

Sissoko runs about alot and does a whole load of nothing. Looks more rubbish defensively than Thiago too.

Pogba is immense. Bought him for Arsenal at the end of the first season, eleven seasons later he had more than 100 PL goals, but was always involved in defensive and offensive phases in a box to box role in a 4-2-3-1, he averaged over 8 every season but one. He was also a huge threat from set pieces, we scored a lot of corner goals from him knocking it back. The one issue I had was at first his physicals meant couldn't quite handle the role for ninety minutes and I often had to take him off after an hour, a few seasons of focusing on his stamina sorted it. Also had him as captain, despite not quite having the Leadership of other players, and had a lot of success. I stopped playing the save when he was 34, and he hadn't really declined at all, in fact his last few seasons were statistically his best, at 32, and 33 I was getting £20m+ offers for him from PSG.

I think I got lucky on my save, got him for £60m plus Debuchy, usually seems to go for much more.

Just out of curiosity, are there any side effects to your transfer policy? Do a lot of agents hate you for cancelling deals?

Pogba is immense. Bought him for Arsenal at the end of the first season, eleven seasons later he had more than 100 PL goals, but was always involved in defensive and offensive phases in a box to box role in a 4-2-3-1, he averaged over 8 every season but one. He was also a huge threat from set pieces, we scored a lot of corner goals from him knocking it back. The one issue I had was at first his physicals meant couldn't quite handle the role for ninety minutes and I often had to take him off after an hour, a few seasons of focusing on his stamina sorted it. Also had him as captain, despite not quite having the Leadership of other players, and had a lot of success. I stopped playing the save when he was 34, and he hadn't really declined at all, in fact his last few seasons were statistically his best, at 32, and 33 I was getting £20m+ offers for him from PSG.

I think I got lucky on my save, got him for £60m plus Debuchy, usually seems to go for much more.

Just out of curiosity, are there any side effects to your transfer policy? Do a lot of agents hate you for cancelling deals?

Well I'm only into the 2nd pre season on my 1st save & prior I'd only signed youngsters, 2nd choice first team players & 1 first choice Centre half so this is the first time I've used this method in FM16. The last game I played was FM11 when I used this method & agents all seemed to hate me....this might be why......

How much did you pay for Pogba? What sort of average ratings/assist counts did he get per season? I think its just the fact I'm paying £100M for an MC thats making me undecided; would be different if he was in an AM or ST role where I know he could get shed loads of goals & assists. I'm seriously considering going for Martinez instead of him.

Any other players experiences of Pogba & feedback would also be appreciated.

One thing I don't think you've mentioned is exactly what you want from your midfielder. Do you want someone to chip in with 10 goals a season; someone who can deliver 20 assists a season; someone who can stop the opposition before they get at your defence; or someone who does a bit of everything?

Midfield is tricky, I think, because it covers so many areas of the game - you usually know what you want from defenders, and from strikers. In my current save, I came up with a 4123dm formation (at Man Utd) and wanted someone better than Herrera who had never delivered in multiple saves. So I bought Joao Moutinho. But alternating both in an APa role, they were both brilliant. Alongside them I played Schneiderlin and Felaini as a BBM, and they both did well too - even though Felaini is usually one of my first transfers out. Sometimes it's not about the player, but about the right player, in the right role, in the right tactic - or even an adequate player in a reasonable role, in a balanced, effective tactic.

Of the four you mentioned, I've only ever managed Sissoko and he helped Newcastle to a domestic treble first season. On the other hand, I've signed some of the game's top-rated midfielders (Romero, Tielemans, Eriksen) and they've only been average.

I'm sorry that this hasn't helped you much!

One thing I don't think you've mentioned is exactly what you want from your midfielder. Do you want someone to chip in with 10 goals a season; someone who can deliver 20 assists a season; someone who can stop the opposition before they get at your defence; or someone who does a bit of everything?

Ironically Pogba is more what I'm looking for probably. I've just sold Schweinsteiger but my other midfielders are from the original game squad - Carrick, Schneiderlin, Herrera & Fellaini. They are in the mold of hard working/defensive type players, Herrera is maybe different from the other 3 in that hes a bit more of an all rounder & has more mobility/energy to get forward more. Probably looking for more of an all rounder a bit more on the attacking side. Pogba/Sissoko probably gives me that......whereas ironically Martinez, the player I'm leaning towards is just another def mid whcih is the same similar mould as the other players I have.

When buying players I usually bid for 4-5 at a time & once the deal is confirmed I delay whilst I wait on the others and then evaluate who i want.

Here's 4 deals I currently have delayed:

1. Paul Pogba - Game Value: £56M - Transfer fee will be: £94M

2. Thiago (Bayern) - Game Value: £28.5M - Transfer fee will be: £40M

3. Javi Martinez - Game Value: £27M - Transfer fee will be: £33M

4. Moussa Sissoko - Game Value: £17M - Transfer fee will be: £25M

I also went for Pjanic & Gundogan but wasn't willing to pay their demands.

Obvious one is Pogba, but I have doubts. Thats an insane amount of money, even more so for an MC. I'm also worried the way the game plays how effective he can be from MC position as in my 1 season to date they don't seem to score many goals - my best MC last season got 3 goals & 6 assists with 7.30 rating in 40 games. Normally for a fee this size I'd be looking for 30 goals a season, a rating of at least 7.8 & loads of assists but I don't see how that can be realistic in MC. To players that have had him; is he worth that money?

Thinking now I'll cancel Thiago - I'm just not paying £40M for him. I'm also inclined to pick Martinez out of the 4. Sissoko is in there because he was immense for Newcastle in the league last season but I don't know how well he plays at MC as his best position appears to be AMR.

Looking for other players to give me some advice based on their experiences in these players, especially Pogba. I don't want to blow the guts of £100M plus his insane contract fees for a half decent player in central midfield when for less money I could get some one else.

It really depends on what kind of role you are looking to replace, but

Thiago is injury prone - Martinez is slow in the first couple of meters, so he would be left for dead if you expect him to cover a lot of ground on his own (think that he is a bit injury prone as well)

Sissoko is really just a lesser & cheaper version of Pogba

Pogba is the best cm in the game.

You are playing as United aswell so he will count as homegrown.

If you aren't sure about the cash have a look at Tielemans, Renato Sanches and Rubén Neves.

I snapped out of comedy land & didn't go for it. No way I can justify paying that for an MC - the same applies IRL, he's not even worth half that, Juve must be laughing all the way to the bank. Maybe it was watching his completely anonymous display in the Euro final which helped convince me.

I looked at those other options - Tielemans has just signed for Wolfsburg, Sanches is completely unproven for money like that after just 5 first team games & whilst Neves looked good he's only a natural at DMC which doesn't fit into my formation. So Martinez it is. Proven winner at Bayern & international level & he was immense for Bilbao before injury & losing his place hit him. Lets just home he doesn't get injured too much.

I suggest Renato Sanches who is the best central midfielder in FM16 in my opinion, always did amazing contribution to the teams I manage. Scores lots of goals from long range, has strength, pace, and technique. He is also cheaper & younger than Pogba.

Snap up Sanchez!! He becomes immense.
I suggest Renato Sanches who is the best central midfielder in FM16 in my opinion, always did amazing contribution to the teams I manage. Scores lots of goals from long range, has strength, pace, and technique. He is also cheaper & younger than Pogba.

agree!

I got him in my Lazio save 2025. Play him as roaming playmaker support and hes around 8.20sih each seson with 15 assists and 6-7 goals. He also play very good in big games and important games. I think i never subbed him couse poor performance in 10 sesons...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I currently have the same dilemma as Everton. It is summer 2018, I just won the EPL but lost the CL on penalties to Real Madrid. I can afford Pogba for around £100M, and can't decide whether he is the missing link that can just push my team over the edge to greatness. My current central midfield has the following players available (usually play 3 in a variety of DMC/MC/AMC positions depending on the exact tactic being used):

Barkley, Betancur, Thiago Maia, Kimmich, Marcelo Meli, and 2 18 year old English regens with 2 star ability and 5 star potential.

Real Madrid are sniffing around Thiago Maia (I will probably be able to get £35M+ for him), and so my options are to stay with the same group (1 year older, and they are all still very young), or sell Maia and buy Pogba...

• 4 weeks later...

Archived