What's really wrong with the goalkeeper?

The key issue there will likely be the limited outfield defensive & general keeper animations which has meant that any stumbles, slips, poor balance & the resulting scramble to recover position are not shown in 3D , hopefully Neil.D has been hard at work to MoCap significantly more animations that will help with visualising what is happening in defence.

This appears to simply be a case of the 3D engine not having the right animations to show what the match engine calculated.

I suspect the match engine either had the goalkeeper misjudging it and missing the ball or deciding to come out to beat the striker before changing his mind and trying to get back on his line.

Both of those situations are entirely possible, entirely realistic but are not currently something that the 3D engine is capable of displaying particularly well.

This belongs into a museum, er, the bugs forum. :) The ME doesn't calculate an event such as keeper missing or anything, it's a second by second sim keeping track of second by second player movement on and off the ball that doesn't know outcomes or sequences until they happen.

Think of as the 3d view as optionally replacing the 2d dots with 3d player models, and those are assigned an increasingly number of

(sometimes buggy, sometimes not ideally synced, sometimes wrong ones and glitches and missing stuff, when it all started out for instance, there was no 3d player animation for players tucking on each others shirt, all you'd get was a line of commentary and the ref blowing the whistle). You can actually view them all in the game's gfx sub folder. For a GK 3d player model for instance, they're named pretty appropriately just as well, such as move_jog_light_backwards.anm for a keeper being alert and moving or dive_right_get_up.anm for making a particular save. Therefore likely best one for the bugs forum, you'd see the keeper in general making the same movement in the 2d view just as well so one for them to take a lookie at.

That said agree there's always erroneous stuff in there. Personally I shrug and move on, but I can relate to how it can rub you off. This was even more of an issue on previous, but naturally you'd react to this more if you were a dominating team. At that point AI teams would play that cautiously that the goals you would at all concede all tended not to come from actually outplaying anyone as such AI keep an increasingly number of players back behind the ball -- tough to break anything down from open play if outside of counter attacks the few advanced players are without support. And make no mistake, there's always teams that do everything to just avoid heavy defeat. So unlike from open play it's then rather individual moves, somebody isolated beating the "odds" every now and then, such as wonder strikes, (set-pieces) or -- player errors and bugs or a combo of those. The hyperbole that all goals you'd concede would come off stupidity and that this was "typically FM" thus holds some merit, though as you don't concede much, it usually is perception bias playing its tricks too.

It's not just the goalkeeper. The entire match engine is trash. I usually have ~10-15 mistakes that lead to a goal every season, managing in the best leagues... absolute joke. Watching the game disgusts me as the players seem to have the brain of a 2 year old.

It's not just the goalkeeper. The entire match engine is trash. I usually have ~10-15 mistakes that lead to a goal every season, managing in the best leagues... absolute joke. Watching the game disgusts me as the players seem to have the brain of a 2 year old.

Whats the problem with that?

Arsene Wenger once said "Every goal scored is the result of a mistake somewhere"

Did you not see Iceland yesterday? Possession and shots mean nothing, goals are what count. I also find it interesting you commit so many fouls despite having so much of the ball. Are you using a heavy closing down game? If so, you are going to drag your own players out of position and it can leave you open to counter attacking.

What does the SI forum dubious goals panel make of my GK's antics here?

[video=youtube;He6spNUmis8]

I was looking for the button to report him taking bungs. The first goal didn't even go down as an OG.

To be fair, the first one isn't an own goal. The original "shot" was on goal, your keeper just flapped it in.

Did you not see Iceland yesterday? Possession and shots mean nothing, goals are what count. I also find it interesting you commit so many fouls despite having so much of the ball. Are you using a heavy closing down game? If so, you are going to drag your own players out of position and it can leave you open to counter attacking.

Your argument is invalid.. this happens everytime in FM where it doesn't in real life.

My closing down more TI has nothing to do with what the goalkeeper did.

Your argument is invalid.. this happens everytime in FM where it doesn't in real life.

My closing down more TI has nothing to do with what the goalkeeper did.

If you haven't already, let the SI boffins take a look at it by raising it in the Bugs forum.

You're right, the closing down TI has nothing to do with the GK animation there - but your tactical settings do have quite a lot to do with how you conceded.

In the mean time, just role play it out - "OMG Hart, what the hell do you think you're doing you idiot. Sort it out or you'll be playing with the kids next week".

Rant at your in game players who make mistakes (because they do in real life as well), and calmly raise a bug report if you think something looks particularly screwy. Just remember that in game players are not automatons, always making the perfect decision - that would be totally unrealistic.

Archived