Robbie Savage

Hodgy

Has anyone else been really impressed with the job his is doing as BBC commentator for the Euros?

I hadn't heard any of his BBC 5 live stuff before and never really paid much attention to his commentary until the England Vs Wales game and I was expecting him to be really biased, he really surprised me the way he called the game honestly, if you didn't know who was on commentary I'm sure you would have believed he was a neutral.

He also seems to call everything correctly, now we should expect this from an ex pro but as we are all too aware the majority of commentators make so many errors, I have actually really enjoyed listening to Robbie and really hope we get to hear him commentating on more major matches / events in the future.

Has anyone else been as impressed with his commentary during the euros?

Also, for those who have listened to him on 5 live in the past, does he come across well on his show? I am intrigued and will definitely start listening to him from next season.

Definitely, he has called things the way they've happened on the pitch and if he was initially wrong he has corrected himself when replayed.

I thought he was really good during the England/Wales match where he was clearly Welsh but still called it right without bias.

He's not too bad in honesty. He has a bit of a craic too, which I think makes him more likeable. However there are a lot of people out there who dislike him simply because he is Robbie Savage.

Guilty!

I have dismissed articles of his and switched off the radio too when he has been on, pretty much just dismissed him altogether because of how he has come across in the past but he has easily been the best commentator during these euros.

Definitely, he has called things the way they've happened on the pitch and if he was initially wrong he has corrected himself when replayed.

I thought he was really good during the England/Wales match where he was clearly Welsh but still called it right without bias.

Spot on, it's very rare you hear a commentator or pundit admit they were wrong or simply correct themselves, it's really refreshing from Robbie.

I've never really had a problem with him, he's a decent pundit and he's been good in the euros...he wasn't biased at all during the England/Wales game either. There are pundits I dislike, but there's none who really wind me up where I don't want to hear them...no idea why anyone would feel that way really.

I think it says a lot about the overall standard of football commentary when we could be impressed by someone who can barely string a sentence together, simply because he's less irritating than we previously thought.

Yeah, Savage is dreadful. Bad opinions, loves the sound of his own voice (and himself) and can barely string a coherent sentence together.

He's everything that's wrong with pundits in this country. Thick and arrogant.

Still don't like him but he was faultless during the England game. Like most people I expected horrific and biased commentary during it but he was even correcting Keown on some decisions that went against England.

He's still a massive tit though.

Yeah, Savage is dreadful. Bad opinions, loves the sound of his own voice (and himself) and can barely string a coherent sentence together.

That's usually my opinion of him but he's been better at the Euros than he ever has been before.

Don't have Sky to see him on the Premier League but I've enjoyed Henry on the BBC too while I only ever see him criticised for his Sky work (Carragher leg squeeze excluded)

Yeah, they clearly had 2 co-commentators to ensure there was balance. Savage was fair, whereas Keown was completely one eyed.

I'd happily see BBC bin off Keown permanently after this round of matches.

Loved Keown saying a tackle was a foul, and then on the replay Savage just smashed it as it was a dive and was pointing out no contact. Really enjoyed the way they had a commentator for each side

Loved Keown saying a tackle was a foul, and then on the replay Savage just smashed it as it was a dive and was pointing out no contact. Really enjoyed the way they had a commentator for each side

Aye, but in fairness the opposite had happened earlier, leaving Keown to glumly say "Robbie, a foul's a foul". I've been surprised by Savage, though. Not impressed, just surprised that he's less thick than I first thought. I was also quite impressed that he was the man who observed that the Vardy goal was onside because Williams had glanced it first.

Like many I expected him to be biased towards Wales in the game vs England but it was a pleasant surprise to see him call it as well as he did, he doesn't seem to take himself too seriously either which is always a plus, would like to hear him on commentary more often.

That was the Sterling incident, which was a blatant dive or fall. I agree that Savage was very neutral throughout, & couldn't understand why Keown could say it was a foul, as clearly it wasn't. All I want when watching football is for commentators to give a fair assessment & not gabble to much, which I think Savage succeeds in doing.

I still can't work out how Keown is a commentator. He was awful in the England/Wales match.

Because its the BBC and he's well spoken.

To be fair to Keown he is usually quite good as a pundit on Final Score etc. I think his downfall is he's watching the England games as a fan.

This tbh.

He was a prat when we employed him when I was at ESPN. Does zero research before a match, shows up and then can't even string together actual sentences. Only used him because he's cheap. Same for Keown.

A swallow doesn't make a summer.

On the whole, Savage is an idiot. I saw one post saying he 'doesn't take himself too seriously' which suggests he's never heard him on 5 live, where he can't take any criticism.

He apparently wants to improve though so maybe he will be bearable at some point.

I think it says a lot about the overall standard of football commentary when we could be impressed by someone who can barely string a sentence together, simply because he's less irritating than we previously thought.

Completely agree with this, surprised people on this forum are quite supportive of him actually. He was woeful on 606 on 5 Live and Fletch and Sav on BT Sport is just awful as well. Really not a fan.

Completely agree with this, surprised people on this forum are quite supportive of him actually. He was woeful on 606 on 5 Live and Fletch and Sav on BT Sport is just awful as well. Really not a fan.

People on the forum are supportive as he has clearly done a good job during these Euro's whilst the post you quoted is imo rubbish as very few have said they are impressed because he is less irritating than previously thought, the majority have judged his current performance fairly rather than let his past influence their opinion which you have done and his performance at these Euro's has been decent at the very least.

Forget 606 & BT sport, do you really not think he has come across well during this tournament?

agreed, plus he cant keep his own bias out of his commentary

When he got worked up when Wales scored and he went on and on for about 30 seconds trying to create this dramatic commentary thing it was just absolutely brutal to listen too, pretty sure he even called it a great goal at one point too. How does this guy get commentary gigs? Seriously ffs.

• 2 weeks later...

Was contemplating doing a 'commentators performance' thread but might as well post in here.

Savage has been better than usual, but still not exactly good. Just not as bad as usual. Martin Keown is horrendous, such a dull, boring man. He's to football commentary what Eric Bristow is to commentating on the darts in Sky. Just so awfully boring, rambling on about nothing of interest.

Mark Lawrenson is the one that's really irritated for me, though. It's like he's been on a constant crusade to earn himself a comedy gig. Everything that has come out of his mouth has been some snarky, sarcastic comment that I'm sure we're meant to find amusing. I've no problem with commentators saying or trying to say something funny, but there is absolutely no need for someone to try and say something sarcastic or 'funny' every single time they speak. He's always been awful but he's completely stepped up his sarcasm ten-fold.

Amazing really that there aren't better guys out there. I'm assuming there are plenty but BBC/ITV aren't bothered about finding/using them, or would rather have pundits who are terrible but recognisable as being recent top players.

Ian Wright is woeful, can not stand him. Just such an idiot. Dixon, Shearer both dull.

Too many armchair football experts far too harsh on commentators & the blind dislike of Robbie Savage from some is a case in point. I've always liked his honesty when it comes to how he & by inference a lot of professional players feel about the game.

agreed, plus he cant keep his own bias out of his commentary

Probably the most nonsense thing said in this thread.

He's the least biased commentator I've heard so far in this tournament.

People seem to be confusing bias with being opinionated. To Savage's credit, he'll say an opinion, and he'll stick to it to the point where he's proved wrong, and then in most cases he'll hold his hands up to it. Anyone who believes he shows bias should listen to the commentary in the England and Wales game. He was passionate about his country, and on their side, but several times he called it how he saw it, even if that was against Wales.

But aye, he's pure annoying and that. Must be biased.

Mark Bowen had enough Welsh bias for everyone last night.

You actually hate Wales don't you. Every thread, bizarre. Bowen repeatedly pointed out errors even though it wasn't true. Ronaldo's header wascpoor defending according to Bowen but let's face it, was an incredible leap and a great header.

Savage pointed out clearly his belief that 2 Belgium penalties should have been given even though the game was tense at 2-1 Wales at the time. Pipe down.

Too many armchair football experts far too harsh on commentators & the blind dislike of Robbie Savage from some is a case in point. I've always liked his honesty when it comes to how he & by inference a lot of professional players feel about the game.

Tbf, having worked with him, he's still a bit of a nobhead.

Archived