Group B - England vs England B (involving some Welsh players) 14:00 BBC 1

Barry Cartman

1876026-39517513-2560-1440.png?w=1450

1871376-39424513-2560-1440.jpg?w=1050

TEAM NEWS

All of England's players trained on Wednesday ahead of the match so Roy Hodgson has a full-strength squad to select from.

He may opt to select the same starting XI and 4-3-3 formation that played against Russia.

Wales goalkeeper Wayne Hennessey is still troubled by the back spasm that caused him to miss the opening win over Slovakia.

Slovakia match winner Hal Robson-Kanu and Joe Ledley are pushing for starts.

MATCH PREVIEW

While the Welsh Dragon is firing after their first-ever European Championship match ended in a famous victory, England's young lions have been licking their wounds after their disappointing draw in Marseille.

Wales are the team carrying the momentum into this eagerly anticipated clash in Lens and their players have been bullish in press conferences this week. Gareth Bale declared himself very happy that the England camp reacted to his incendiary claims that Wales "have a got a lot more passion and pride" than England. "It's good that they bit," Bale said wryly. "

Both camps have been asked if this game will feel like a Premier League match, but four of Wales' starting XI against Slovakia didn't start an English top-flight match last season. England's team against Russia started 324 Premier League games compared to just 131 for Wales' (Gareth Bale excluded of course).

While the England and Wales rugby teams get to renew their fierce rivalry on a yearly basis, matches between their nation's football teams have become increasingly rare since the annual British Championship was disbanded in 1984.

That year, Wales beat England 1-0 courtesy of a goal from debutant Mark Hughes, and it remarkably remains the last goal and the last win they have recorded in this fixture.

Gareth Bale

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

This will be the 102nd time that England and Wales have played each other, although this is the first time they have met in the finals of a major tournament.

England have won 66 matches, Wales 14 and there have been 21 draws.

Wales have not beaten England since a 1-0 victory in Wrexham on 2 May 1984, when Mark Hughes scored the only goal on his debut.

England have won the last four games between the countries without conceding a goal. They triumphed 2-0 at home and 1-0 away during qualifying for the 2006 World Cup, and then won 2-0 away and 1-0 at home in qualifying for Euro 2012. Ashley Young was the last player to score in the fixture.

Wales manager Chris Coleman made just one appearance under current England manager Roy Hodgson at Blackburn Rovers in 1997-98.

Coleman and Hodgson have both managed Fulham and had spells as players at Crystal Palace.

England

England had not lost over 90 or 120 minutes in 23 European Championship fixtures, going back to a 3-2 defeat by Croatia in November 2007.

Roy Hodgson's side won all ten of their Euro 2016 qualifiers, making them just the sixth team to achieve the feat, after France (1992, 2004), Czech Republic (2000) and Germany and Spain (both 2012).

This is only the second time England will face another country from the UK in a major tournament, they won the first 2-0 against Scotland at Euro 1996.

England mustered nine shots against Russia in the first-half, which is the most they have managed in the opening 45 minutes during a Euros final match since they had 11 against Croatia in 2004.

At 25 years and 293 days, England's starting 11 against Russia was their second-youngest ever at a major finals after a 2002 World Cup match with Sweden (25y 206d).

England have failed to score more than once in 13 of their last 14 matches at major tournaments.

Against Russia, Eric Dier became the eighth Tottenham player to score at a major tournament for England, more than any other club.

Wales

Wales have conceded in each of their last five games (including friendlies), their worst run of conceding since March 2013 (11).

Aaron Ramsey has had a hand in three goals in his last three games for Wales (two goals, one assist).

Gareth Bale scored with Wales' first ever shot on target at a European Championship finals.

Bale is the first British player to score a direct free-kick in a Euro finals game.

Hal Robson Kanu's goal was his first for Wales since October 2014 (v Cyprus), which was also the last Welsh goal in a competitive game not scored by either Bale or Ramsey.

Wales are the first British side to win their opening game in a European Championship finals tournament.

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jeez. This thread title isn't gonna come back and bite us in the ass.

I booked this day (and the following 3 working days) off back in January. Then got a promotion, moved departments where 2 other guys are off and so I had to cancel :( Not happy. Currently sitting in an office when I should be getting ready for beers.

Wales' inivitable win will probably top it off as a proper rubbish day

Almost 40% of Wales squad were born in England. I wonder how many would have picked Wales as their first choice international team. I bet Bale didn't bother asking that question before he came out with the comment about them having more pride in their team than England do.

Doing a split day today instead of coming in later. Finishing at 12:30 and then start again at 6.

If England start with the same team they played against Russia I want them to lose. Roy is clueless. Sterling should've been on the first plane back, the lad is terrible.

Wales got it going on for this, got a win, Russia are ****, even a draw they're in the driving seat to top the group and they're playing big bad England so they'll be up for it. It's not quite the same for England playing Wales or Scotland, etc no matter what the players say about 'big game' - we have to make sure we match their Bale levels of passion

If we turn up, play well then we should win but we can't be thinking 'we're better than them' and expect to not have to work hard

Come one, England!!1!

I can't see us winning this tbh. I reckon a draw. Wales and Bale especially will be well up for this, not convinced we can win this with the starting 11 who failed to get past an awful Russia side.

I think though to his credit, Gareth Bale has done his absolute best to fire up the English lads with his comments. I could actually see some of them getting annoyed at him for saying none of them would get in the Wales squad and upping their game. That will certainly fire them up more than anything Roy could or will say would have done.

I think there's a difference between qualifying 1st, and then 2nd/3rd in this group.

It's still easier than other groups because A and B have had favourable draws. But I think 2nd in the group sees a QF vs. France. 3rd and you could end up playing Germany.

Don't see us winning this today, England really ought to beat us.

If we do manage to find a way to win, then it'll be something like 2-1 with a late winner.

An England win or a draw far more likely results.

We had great form in the qualifiers, but with some of our players carrying injuries, it'll be difficult for us to find that form today and reckon we'd have needed that to go forward.

Topping the group looks like Portugal QF/Spain SF. If 2nd' date=' France QF, Germany SF. If 3rd, Germany R16, Italy QF, France SF.[/quote']

SF is tough regardless, which you'd expect in a tournament. But that's a reasonable difference between 1st and 2nd. Finishing 3rd is ridiculous :D. Although still not convinced Italy will top their group.

Oh come on surely you are behind all the home nations, well not England of course but the rest of them.

Come on Wales!

Nope. Wales and that diving, cheating monkey **** can gtf.

NI are ok.

No way someone isn't spoiling the result on the train for you :D

I know :(:D. I think I could get away with it from Blackpool to Leeds but switching at Leeds around 16:15 so I've no chance :lol:. Ah well I'll still watch if I know the score.

Just got in from work. Shower and then off to the pub. Just booked tomorrow off work as well

Cant see England winning this one. That result yesterday was perfect for Wales. A draw will do for them and they will play for it.

Archived