English and Russian fans fight in Marseille

PMLF

I think this deserves its own thread.

English and Russian fans fight in Marseille

Football fans fought pitched battles for the third day in the French city of Marseille ahead of England's European Championship clash with Russia on Saturday.

Bare-chested English and Russian supporters hurled bistro chairs and bottles in the historic Vieux-Port district where the cobbled streets were littered with broken glass and debris.

The air was thick with tear gas.

At least five people were hurt in the violence which erupted after massed ranks of fans had been drinking for hours in the southern city.

AFP journalists saw one man with a heavily bloodied face receiving treatment after apparently suffering a cardiac arrest.

Police fired volleys of teargas to disperse the brawling fans as well as local youths who became involved.

Fans were seen marauding through streets throwing chairs and taunting each other.

Six people were arrested, adding to seven arrests in the district on Friday night in similar disturbances.

Police also broke up fighting involving England fans on Thursday.

England fans said the latest clashes were caused by Russians who charged at them.

"There were about 100 Russians, they just came out of nowhere, something was thrown and that started it all off," said one England supporter who asked not to be named.

Another fan, Danny Hart, 23, said the 9:00 pm (1900 GMT) kickoff time had fuelled the violence.

"I don't think it's a good idea to have scheduled the match at nine o'clock tonight.

"By that time everyone's going to be completely pissed (drunk)."

The England-Russian game was one of five classified as "high-risk" for hooliganism by organisers.

Marseille residents said the violence should have been expected.

"It's the English, what do you expect? We know what it's going to be like when they come here," said Laurent Ferrero, a pizzeria owner.

"In 1998 it was the same thing," he said, recalling clashes between English and Tunisian fans in the port city during that year's World Cup.

In Lyon, meanwhile, four French men aged between 20 and 24 were briefly detained following a drunken fight in a bar where England fans had been drinking, police said.

Witnesses said the French men attacked the England supporters. Police did not comment.

The violence has marred French joy at an otherwise smooth start to the giant tournament which has been overshadowed by months of industrial unrest and terror fears.

The host country was boosted by a 2-1 win against Romania in an opening match.

http://www.thelocal.fr/20160611/english-and-russian-fans-fight-in-marseilles

Shameful events!

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The coverage of this has been hilariously biased against the English. Fair play there's plenty of ***** there looking for trouble, but a lot of the incidents that have been reported were initiated by local Marseille ultras or Russians.

Every report I here or read is blaming Russians. Lineker made a good point on Twitter - only seems to happen where England fans go.

Do good hooligans exist then?

Not really, but I meant, those people involved in the clashes are most likely all bad, regardless of who started the fight.

It's the English, what do you expect?

And this is the problem, it's been widely reported that the trouble has been started by Russians and French, but the English get the blame, they're getting bottles chucked at them, hardly likely to not respond.

Biggest issue, was putting a nation such as England in Marseille.

Portuguese reporter saying the English fans are waiting outside the stadium for the Russian fans to get out. More fights to happen soon. Also added that French fans are provoking as well.

There not fans, there thugs.

This is a line that isn't helpful, they are fans & all it does is somehow allow football to wash its hands of fans that get into violent confrontations.

What concerns me is not who started it or who was involved, but how all those England fans got into the stadium in the first place. The French & other security services are telling us how good the security measures are, but seemingly thousands of English fans are able to get into the stadium with tickets in areas not allocated to them. If they can do so, then anyone else can. Very concerning if this can happen in all the games.

What concerns me is not who started it or who was involved, but how all those England fans got into the stadium in the first place. The French & other security services are telling us how good the security measures are, but seemingly thousands of English fans are able to get into the stadium with tickets in areas not allocated to them. If they can do so, then anyone else can. Very concerning if this can happen in all the games.

and the Russians got in with Flares and Fireworks.

The bigger problem is fireworks and flairs getting into the stadium, could quite easily have been bombs sneaked in.

This is a line that isn't helpful, they are fans & all it does is somehow allow football to wash its hands of fans that get into violent confrontations.

If you use football as a means to get into trouble, I fail to see how there fans.

World Cup in Russia should certainly be interesting

There is almost zero chance any trouble there would be caused by Russian hooligans. There are lots of reasons for this. FSB have agents in those groups. They don't rule them. But they have enough power to tell them that this will be very unwelcome. Plus, I fully expect that either the new stricter laws with harsher penalties will issued for the tournament or just the current laws will be used in a more stricter way. Noone will want to go to prison for 5 years for a street fight.

If you use football as a means to get into trouble, I fail to see how there fans.

First & foremost they are football fans but they also tend to be alcohol fuelled men who when placed in a confrontational group environment will often find trouble or react to the slightest provocation.

This is a society & a football problem, by saying they are not fans it is essentially saying that these are not problems for football to deal with or solve when clearly that cannot be the right policy.

Any that have started fighting on the streets of France?

Well, the French and Russians have been fighting over the last few days and currently the Polish and Northern Irish have been fighting.

Definitely 100% England though

Well, the French and Russians have been fighting over the last few days and currently the Polish and Northern Irish have been fighting.

I didn't say it was 100% England. Think you need to read posts properly.

But I did laugh at the fact that people are falling over themselves to absolve England fans of any blame whatsoever.

Football has to deal with it aswell, I understand that.

Where im coming from, is that a fan is a good supporter, someone who is in it for fun and the passion. These people tarnish that word imo.

That's just a well behaved fan, a badly behaved fan is still a fan which is why I really do have an issue with the "they're not (real) fans" style statements.

I can say with 100% confidence that England fans have engaged in & even initiated violent confrontations. Granted the way this is portrayed in the media can be off the mark, that's not unique to media report of disturbances at football & placing the England fans in the victim position is just as lopsided,

I didn't say it was 100% England. Think you need to read posts properly.

But I did laugh at the fact that people are falling over themselves to absolve England fans of any blame whatsoever.

This is more in response to the English press and people like Gary Lineker falling over themselves to blame England fans at any chance.

You implied that only the English have been involved in violence so far.

I've yet to see a single person in here 'falling over themselves' to absolve England fans of blame.

#

No I didn't. I questioned the apportioning of blame. Not the involvement of others, because it's quite obvious that non-England fans are involved as well.

The Marseille authorities announced that their plan to avoid violence has been a failure

no ****. :lol:

They are apparently using very outdated methods, while English police supposedly infiltrate officers among the fans outside the stadium and detain the most aggressive/drunk ones.

They are apparently using very outdated methods, while English police supposedly infiltrate officers among the fans outside the stadium and detain the most aggressive/drunk ones.

Most authorities attempt a policy of containment which when dealing with large groups where many are significantly under the influence is futile unless they're willing to use rapid & aggressive force to stamp out the slightest hint of losing control.

One obvious failing is the number of England fans in the stadium but outside of the officially allocated England section & the whole issue of ticket control is one that the football authorities need to take more responsibility for as the current approach is farcical.

Most authorities attempt a policy of containment which when dealing with large groups where many are significantly under the influence is futile unless they're willing to use rapid & aggressive force to stamp out the slightest hint of losing control.

And using the riot police wouldn't even be possible in cases like that as there are usually 'innocent' fans near/mixed with the hooligans.

The coverage of this has been hilariously biased against the English. Fair play there's plenty of ***** there looking for trouble, but a lot of the incidents that have been reported were initiated by local Marseille ultras or Russians.

The English were fighting before this game, they were even fighting between themselves, also they are reaping what they sew, let's see if the Wales fans are running riot with the Russian idiots.

Too many idiotic England fans, same old same old.

Archived