+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Run football manager twice?

Amateur

Default Run football manager twice?

Is it possible to run 2 instances of football manager? would like to play network game with my friends meanwhile play my solo game.

When I install fm twice it just says that another instance of football manager 2008 is already running.

Reserves

Default Re: Run football manager twice?

It would run so so so slowly so no!

Third Team

I'm pretty sure that you can't run FM twice at the same time.

Part-Timer

Quote Originally Posted by peter-evo View Post
    It would run so so so slowly so no!
    Depends on the system

When I got my quad core processor and SLI GTX 280's I fired up Oblivion, Bioshock and FEAR at the same time to see what happened. They all run pretty smoothly and I could alt-tab between them quickly. So two instances of FM would be no problem

Amateur

Well i got a quad core so it should be ok but its to bad this is not possible

Amateur
    Burton on Trent, but a Shrewsbury fan since I was born there etc.

FM won't load if there's another instance of FM.exe running. However, I'm sure there are workarounds!

Part-Timer

I think you probably could, if you had 2 hard drives... I have an internal and external hard drive, and I remember installing a game on normally and then doing it again but onto my external one and I was able to open up both at the same time. Obv. this just takes up twice as much room, but thisis all I can think of. Whether this would work with FM I don't know.

Reserves

Quote Originally Posted by SmurfDude View Post
    So two instances of FM would be no problem
    It would be a big problem, seeing as FM only allows one instance

Seriously though, I do a similar thing, I generally have FM running as I do some holiday games while I play another game like Oblivion.

Part-Timer

Quote Originally Posted by Mikal View Post
    I think you probably could, if you had 2 hard drives... I have an internal and external hard drive, and I remember installing a game on normally and then doing it again but onto my external one and I was able to open up both at the same time. Obv. this just takes up twice as much room, but if you really want to play two then I think it could well work. Whether this would work with FM I don't know.
    But when a game is installed it adds a record of it to the registry, along with the path to which drive it is installed on. This stops you from installing a game twice

Of course you could always copy and paste the files elsewhere, but I don't think it would let you open it up twice cause the task manager will still know you have one instance of FM open...

But if you say it works, then I guess I'm wrong.

Semi Pro

just have two seperate pc's freindo

Third Team
    Pro-consumer, anti-DRM. Never be satisfied with any answer. Dig until you drop.

If you have a very fast computer (and I mean very fast, as the method I'm going to give you will ensure the second process will have very slow I/O), download Sandboxie and you can run the second one inside a sandbox. You'll have to increase the file size of the files to be migrated, though as the save files are several hundred megabytes large - I'm not sure if you have to buy Sandboxie in this case.

Of course, Sandboxie's not designed for people who want to run multiple instances of games so there's some obvious drawbacks, but it's a method.

Or you could try what I suspect might work - copy and paste FM.exe and rename one to a different name.

Semi Pro

Would be a nice feature really. Like others, I know I have the ram, processor speed, and space to do it because I often run 3 or 4 FM-size programs along-side FM.

Amateur

Just install the game twice into sperate folders and rename the .exe.

Youth Team

The game is not designed to run like that which means you are likely to encounter a lot of errors.

First Team

I used to run 2 games on 2 computers. It would be good being able to run 2 games at once. I'd be able to do so much more.!

Quote Originally Posted by TMLS View Post
    FM won't load if there's another instance of FM.exe running. However, I'm sure there are workarounds!
    Yes there is. Just run a virtual PC. Then install FM on the Virtual PC and hey presto!

Even if you could do that, I wouldn't - the amount of thinking involved would melt my brain.

Part-Timer
    In a virtual world as a FM manager or a soldier on CoD

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne\'o View Post
    just have two seperate pc's freindo
    Quote Originally Posted by GillsMan View Post
    Yes there is. Just run a virtual PC. Then install FM on the Virtual PC and hey presto!
    Basically these are your 2 options lol. Have 2 PCs or Pc and laptop and have screen next to each other.. or you could set up a virtual machine to run i would probably get an instance of XP in your virtual machine if your on Vista as I'm pretty sure it would struggle to run two versions of vista simultaneously!

Amateur

Wonder if the 2 instances will go equally fast with virtual pc.. never heard of it btw

+ Reply to Thread