Tactical feedback

Should be upgraded for FM17, we need to switch to full match to see what's failing.

Assistant manager should be able to tell you in more depth, so you get a better picture of whats going wrong.

We get nothing back apart from player needing closed down ect, that suggests we can tweak without switching to full first.

Tbh, that's easier said than done. With all the possible tactical combinations, it's going to take a very, very smart AI to be able to figure out what's wrong. Just look around the community to see how few people are able to help, tactically.

IMO, the better way to go about it, would be (and it's been suggested before) to help/advise players when creating a tactic.

There's defo a benefit if you gain a bigger understanding but outside of big games, curious ties saved as pkms or sometimes international saves I don't watch anything in full. As for your own team nothing will change anyway until you change something. I'm sure I'm missing out on nuances that more detailed players would pick up, but then there should be a benefit for that, and managers succeed by different means in real football, ask simple Harrytons. Firstly the basics you need to cover are basic (they've basically been covered seasons ago by step by step guides anyone could follow, though there's is little in-game, totally agreed). And secondly contrary to bad myth AI managers don't "crack", ahem, ****. It should be obvious to anyone though that different formations create different dynamics, same for wide/deep players either pushed up and making constantly forward runs to support attacks or not -- on both ends of the pitch. Contrary to another incredibly bad myth, FM is no stats sim, it's players or dots moving up and down simulated pitches of different lengths and widths, and passes can be only made to where those players are, and where there are or aren't players there's space to be exploited or not. Ditto for an AI manager either dropping off (which will make you dominate by default) vs vice versa. Additionally not everything is tactical. Close ties will remain close ties.

The problem with the feedback in the game right now is that it is oft taken literally. All the assistant feedback does (and will continue to do so) is looking at some stats. There is zero context to anything. Passing rate drops below xx%? "Should encourage to retain possession". Yeah, but what if isn't an issue as such as you're aiming to lure out and get the ball forward quickly (Leicester winning the EPL with the lowest passing completion rate in all of the league). Header completion rate rises beyond xx%? "Should encourage to cross more as we're superior in the air today." Bad thing is all of those header supremacy is coming from bullish centre backs and the towering DM winning their challenges, whilst in the box it's small players who don't win anything. Or a more obvious one: Messi completing tons of runs? "We've seen Barry getting skinned all too often today." Yeah, but then he's coming up against Messi.

So if this would be improved it would be great, as it would also allow for better AI managers in general if it were used for them. That way the ridiculous downloads this year (no holding mids sitting deepish for a single minute of an entire season) would be more punished as AI mans would be actually intelligent to spot and sit two or three forwards into that ridiculously space and hoof the ball to them. Bear in mind though that the assistant manager advice seems in no way indicative of how AI managers work or how your assistant would work if you opt to make him take over tactics (it would be terribly if they would). :D I barely listen to any of it. It can point you to something sticking out badly, but at the same time it's important to keep all of that in mind.

Should be upgraded for FM17, we need to switch to full match to see what's failing.

Assistant manager should be able to tell you in more depth, so you get a better picture of whats going wrong.

We get nothing back apart from player needing closed down ect, that suggests we can tweak without switching to full first.

Or, of course, you can pull up the real time, indepth analysis tool at any stage and pinpoint where things are failing.

Or, of course, you can pull up the real time, indepth analysis tool at any stage and pinpoint where things are failing.

Yunno, I'm actually awful at using this analysis tool. I find it to be cumbersome and unwieldy, but I think the problem lies with me not knowing exactly what I need to be looking at and when, as opposed to the problem being with the game itself. I'm no tactical genius, but I still go purely on what I see and what my instinct tells me, and generally do OK. Am I really missing something by not getting to grips with the Prozone and such? I mean, has anyone felt a real, tangible benefit from it that might suggest I should persevere with it?

Header completion rate rises beyond xx%? "Should encourage to cross more as we're superior in the air today." Bad thing is all of those header supremacy is coming from bullish centre backs and the towering DM winning their challenges, whilst in the box it's small players who don't win anything.
This is the one that needs fixing because it's so bad it's almost a bug. It shouldn't be outside the realms of possibility for them to program it to show up only when forwards' header completion rates are high.

Yunno, I'm actually awful at using this analysis tool. I find it to be cumbersome and unwieldy, but I think the problem lies with me not knowing exactly what I need to be looking at and when, as opposed to the problem being with the game itself. I'm no tactical genius, but I still go purely on what I see and what my instinct tells me, and generally do OK. Am I really missing something by not getting to grips with the Prozone and such? I mean, has anyone felt a real, tangible benefit from it that might suggest I should persevere with it?

There is a lot under the hood of the ProZone tool. I use it a lot whenever I want to verify something I think I may have spotted. For instance. Let's say there's a passage of play between the 6-8th min that led me to concede a goal. I may suspect that my lines have too many gaps. I then look at the highlights in the context of the Prozone tool. I whip it out.

- Define the team

- Define the time period

- Overlay the heat map.

Since I have isolated it to around the time I conceded the goal, it should help. I can verify by choosing the goal, then clicking on the dot in the prozone map and it will also show me the goal.

You could also.....

Say we want to know whether Player A is more hardworking at an area of the pitch than Player B, you can check that too.

Let's be realistic. If you are in a football match sitting on the sidelines, you MAY if your club has invested millions, have the technology set aside for analyzing all the stats coming out. Someone probably goes in real time to let the team know certain salient KPIs in the game. What we have now is a lot of stats telling us everything we need, and with the Prozone tool, some of us already have all that we need.

The assman should only really be telling us this information, to list a few as examples:

Our forwards are strong in the air and beating the defenders

This player has been misplacing his passes all day

That player is playing as a playmaker and has too much time to string those passes

What we have now, has this to some extent. Can it be improved, yeah. But by how much? There is a reason why we affectionately call him the "Assman"

Archived