FM15: Derby County...second top tier season plans

After reading some of the threads in this section, I thought I'd post here with my thoughts and plans for Derby County's 2016-2017 Premier League campaign. I took over as manager of the Rams at the start of the 2014-2015 season, when the club were projected to finish 8th or 9th in the Championship, and much of that first season we were called "penniless" and "cash-strapped." We instead finished 2nd and won promotion. Slated to finish 18th and struggle to avoid relegation this past season, we were instead a top half of the table club all season long, sitting as high as 3rd at one point before finishing in 9th position. Now, with a much rosier financial picture, we look to avoid relegation and start to build a legitimate, long term Premier League club.

Overall Philosophy or Style of Play:

I'm a football neophyte, so I'm happy for others to offer ideas about why any part of this is rubbish. But based on what seemed to bring success to Derby over the last two seasons and the core of the squad around which I hope to build during this offseason and coming season, I believe that I am going to play a narrow formation that will rely on quality and character in midfield, clever play up front, and good play from full backs or wing backs to provide width in attack. Depending upon whether I think I've got great depth at striker, and perhaps based on whether I perceive myself to be up against tougher opposition, I'm looking at these two formations, a 4-1-3-1-1 DM Narrow...

ScreenHunter_06%20May.%2026%2009.19.jpg

...and a 4-4-2 Diamond Narrow:

ScreenHunter_07%20May.%2026%2009.19.jpg

In my head, anyway, I picture good off the ball movement and clever passes and through balls in the final third to generate opportunities for my forwards, with wide players stretching defenses and offering recycling options when defenses prove harder to break down. Currently, at least, I don't have towering attackers, so I don't see floating crosses into the box being much of my offense. In defense, I imagine a side that don't offer much time on the ball to the opposition, though perhaps a DF would fit this idea better? I'd like to force opponents into longer, higher balls downfield where my defenders, many of whom challenge well in the air, can create turnovers. Against better clubs I picture backing in more, making them try to play through, then playing more counter/direct to at least get the ball out of trouble and possibly generate quick, creative chances. Much of this is hazy to me, but I'm sure some of you can help me refine this.

To accomplish this, I have my existing club from whom I'm cutting most of the wide forwards and midfielders. To supplement and fortify my team, the board have set me up with $19.7M in transfer budget, and I'm currently spending $42.5M of my $55.3M payroll budget.

Current Talent

Here are my current players, first by recommendation (PA, essentially, I think), and then by CA:

ScreenHunter_03%20May.%2026%2009.07.jpg

ScreenHunter_02%20May.%2026%2009.01.jpg

I also currently have also have incoming experienced striker Fernando Cavenaghi of River, and an enquiry pending about Barcelona backup GK Jordi Masip:

ScreenHunter_04%20May.%2026%2009.11.jpgScreenHunter_05%20May.%2026%2009.12.jpg

Training

I feel like I've done a ton to bolster both my senior and youth training set ups:

ScreenHunter_08%20May.%2026%2009.32.jpgScreenHunter_09%20May.%2026%2009.33.jpg

Priorities

To use these formations, I see the need for the following:

- A stud left back to match Christie on the right. Work rate, pace, fitness, and an ability to pick out and deliver a decent pass or cross, along with defensive responsibilty.

- A true talent at DM, someone who can reliably cover for one or the other back if they're late tracking back. Recommendations for type of player here?

- Maybe one depth player at MC?

- A solid rotation player to back up Maxim at AMC

- One or two rotation strikers to back up Russell and Cavenaghi up front depending on whether I'm running one or two of them in my tactic.

Your Thoughts?

What else should I be asking myself before I start making enquiries about players? Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...
started a rams save myself. darren bents firing us towards the prem for me 1st season :)

He was a bit of an underachiever while he was here the first time. I let him go. I took him back on and he's struggled to make the first team. But boy, I wish I could have Jesse Lingard back. I wouldn't be playing this narrow formation if I still had him and Tom Ince.

Archived