FM16 - The community formation experiment

So after a prompt from a helpful someone :brock:......... i thought i would post up the 3rd (ish) installment of the tactical experiment / challenge / muck around.

For a bit of background, the threads from the last 2 years:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/419757-FM15-The-community-formation-experiment

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/387570-How-important-is-a-quot-formation-quot-A-community-tactical-experiment

Hopefully this can be some fun and generate a bit of interest. Its something a bit different, is the hope. There are some great threads this year but maybe this can be a bit of variety

The premise of this is quite simple really. We select a single team (to be decided), and each person who wants to take part is given a randomly selected default formation. Here are the general details:

General

• Everyone has to use the same database (16.3.1 i think we are on now?) - with no database edits
  • Other add ons are fine - its only important that the starting squads are the same for everyone
  • Past experience the same for everyone - "international experience" for everyone
  • Everyone has to use the same starting team - We would agree in advance, and if it was popular maybe run 2 versions with different teams
  • Transfers limited to say 2 permanent signings, one loan signing (a bit arbitrary, but its how i vaguely remember the original thread)

Tactics

• Each user who wants to take part gets given one of the default formations - I use a complex machine (eg, a bit of basic VB code...) to make sure the picks are random, they are not allocated by me.
  • The formation (that is to say the player slots on the pitch), must not be changed in anyway. So if you get 5 - 4 - 1 you must keep a flat back 5, a flat midfield 4 and a single striker in the central slot.
  • Any other tactical options can be customised - This is the essence of the experiment - using roles, duties, team and player instructions, you can try to take a basic shape and make it function in different ways

The Team

In the 2 past versions i ran of this, we went with an approach of picking a "good but not great" level of side. So i ruled out the CL teams in each league, and we purposely avoided the EPL, as it is a bit close to home for many of us and more chance that is "stale", and there are supporter preferences etc. The previous teams we used were Fiorentina, then Villareal (the very original, which i did not run, and i dont think the thread still exists, was Lazio).

In general, i think we want a team not in the CL, not expected to finish top 3/4, but expected to finish in top 8/10. Both the last 2 have had Europa league qualified teams, which adds a bit of spice and variety to the single season. I also tried to look for teams who have a bit of variety in the squad. If we limit to 3 transfers, given the variety of formations which can come up, you need a squad with a bit of cover.

Initial suggestions / thoughts from me:

Italy

Sampdoria (predicted 8th, in the Europa)

Toino (predicted 9th, not in Europe)

Ruled out Inter, Milan and Napoli as "too good" and Lazio as they are in CL.

Spain

Celta (predicted 8th, not in europe)

Real Sociedad (Predicted 9th, not in europe)

Ruled out Valencia and Sevilla as in the CL, Villareal we did before. The last one i ruled out was Athletic Bilbao as i wasnt sure people would be prepared to play with the transfer restrictoins

Germany

Schalke (expected 5th and in Europa)

Hoffenheim (expected 8th, not in Europe)

Augsburg (Expected 9th, in Europa)

Werder Bremen (Expected 12th, not in Europe - Stronger squad than 12th suggests though i think)

I excluded the CL teams again, so no Gladbach, Leverkusen or Wolfsburg. Excluded Dortmund as too big a team.

* There is a well known limitation with the team names in Germany. Please do not post any links or mentions in this thread of "ways around this" as SI do not allow that discussion. You are all aware of the issue and its solution.

France

Bordeaux (expected 7th, in Europa)

Lille (expected 5th, not in Europe)

Marseille (expected 4th, in Europa)

Saint-Etienne (expected 6th, in Europa)

Holland

AZ (expected 4th, in Europa)

Vitesse (expected 6th, in Europa)

FC Twente (expected 5th, not in Europ)

Those are just some ideas from me. Personally i think Schalke and Marseille, whilst probably the most appealing names, are a bit "good" almost for this. They really are top teams. Sociedad, Sampdoria, Hoffenhiem and Saint-Etienne would all be interesting choices, although i need to check. The added "bonus", is that 3 of those 4 team have pretty glorious historical periods, which could be returned to..

However totally up for a discussion on which team. If people are up for it and can post sugested teams over the next day or so, we can get cracking. The good thing about this, is you can join anytime. There are loads of formations and no need for us all to start at the same time.

Obviously once we do start, the whole point is to do some detail posts around how you make use of the chosen formation, and general updates etc would be encouraged (although its the tactics and training forum, so we should try and keep them somewhat relevant to that!)

Cheers all.

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The tactics (post will be updated as users are allocated a tactic)

This is the list of default tactics. I have excluded some which are a bit to "common" and might not feel like any sort of challenge or experiment if you were allocated them, but happy to have further discussion on whether these should be included, and whether others should be excluded.

L5MtdSp.jpg

Below is the list of users signed up as of 28/05 (12:30pm UK time)

EUf3Tqj.jpg

Nice one Jambo :thup:.

Was a good bit of fun last year, and I'd definitely encourage everyone to get involved this year.

I don't mind which team (which doesn't help I know) but if pressed I'd plump for Hoffenheim.

This was the formation I had to cope with last year - if I get stuck with it again I won't be happy !

2r571b7.png

I'm in, spent ages reading the other thread from last year with Villareal and there were some great ideas coming through form the discussion.

My team choice would be Torino, as they have an incredible history and keep meaning to do a save with them but never get round to it. I of course don't mind who it is though.

I would suggest that the 4411 and the 4141 DM are also quite commonly used...

Great to see some immediate interest :)

I did consider Torino, but the issue there is that the squad is not very well balanced. It has very very few wide players as an example. Given the variety of tactics, it is a bit better to have a wider squad. Samp seemed more balance, and have a nice history (also a bit more in my lifetime, i loved watching them in the early 90s!)

yes fair point on those 2 formations. Will see what others say but might be something we consider exluding.

You know what, I always stick to my 4123 DM Wide and this might be a good learning experience. Sign me up! I'd rather not play in The Netherlands, cause I'm from there, but I'll take what I can get :)

I'm in. I'm not very good, when it comes to tactical things, but I think it's a good way to learn a litle more. It is very possible that I get fired, but I wanna try.

Edit: And if possible, I think Schalke is a good team to start with.

I'm in, spent ages reading the other thread from last year with Villareal and there were some great ideas coming through form the discussion.

My team choice would be Torino, as they have an incredible history and keep meaning to do a save with them but never get round to it. I of course don't mind who it is though.

I would suggest that the 4411 and the 4141 DM are also quite commonly used...

LOL that's my other save on Youtube..The resurrection of Torino..!

I'll be up for this, I did it last season but got the arse too quickly, I had 4231 dm narrow which isn't terrible but I was young(er) and (more) naive then!

Looks very interesting. I'd be up for a challenge.

I'd be cool with either Germany or France. Always wanted to manage there, never seems to happen in any of my saves. Fingers crossed for a sweeper-less formation.

Seems like in interesting idea that might get me playing FM16 again although starting with the maximum rep will be an unusual change of pace.

Personal preference would be St.Etienne.

Not much of a consensus on the team unfortunately :D

Afraid my thought is that Schalke is a bit "too good" almost, and also there is the germany name problem that bumps them down the list.

So we have 2 votes for Sociedad, 1 for Saint Ettiene (plus one for france or germany)

I know people are keen to start, part of me says we did spain last year and should spice it up? Dont want people to lose interest by being kept waiting......so suggest we have to pick a team tonight?

Ok, first batch put through the randomator (it really needs a better name.......)

Craigus89 - 352

Repsalty - 4321 Narrow

Bluescreen 433 Narrow

2calvin -4123 DM narrow

Fosse - 5122 DM narrow

WaldyWaldy - 343 Diamond Wide

yau - 41311 DM Narrow

Barside - 4222 DM Narrow

HaroldHammond - 5122 Sweeper DM WB

Herne79 - 541

Jambo98 - 5212 Sweeper WB

Some um.....interesting ones in there!

jimmeth1985 and summatsupper - You didnt seem to 100% confirm you wanted to play so i havent drawn you a tactic. Just shout if you do want to join.

Ok, first batch put through the randomator (it really needs a better name.......)

Craigus89 - 352

Repsalty - 4321 Narrow

Bluescreen 433 Narrow

2calvin -4123 DM narrow

Fosse - 5122 DM narrow

WaldyWaldy - 343 Diamond Wide

yau - 41311 DM Narrow

Barside - 4222 DM Narrow

HaroldHammond - 5122 Sweeper DM WB

Herne79 - 541

Jambo98 - 5212 Sweeper WB

Some um.....interesting ones in there!

jimmeth1985 and summatsupper - You didnt seem to 100% confirm you wanted to play so i havent drawn you a tactic. Just shout if you do want to join.

I'm in. Is it too late to throw my name into the Hat?? I'm taking Celta BTW

Not to late, anyone can join at any time, can join in weeks time.

However the chosen team was Saint-Etienne at the moment. The idea is we all go the same time im afraid, so not Hoffenheim. :)

Herne how did you even cope with that formation? Must of been loads of support roles up the pitch to encourage tracking back and a fairly conservative approach?

Also Jambo, i'm thinking of entering but what do we do regarding the league setup before the game? Just our league we are in? Or others?

Oh, okay. I can do that...

Jean0987654321 - 4231 Narrow

Great idea, I want to participate.

Saint-Ettiene is a cool team, so let's go.

@brenosantos - 3232 DM

Not throwing my name in as I've got a save going that I enjoy a lot

But I will be reading and lurking on here with keen interest. Good luck everyone.

Feel free to join at a later point if you like. In previous years we have run on for a month or so at least and people join through out.

Herne how did you even cope with that formation? Must of been loads of support roles up the pitch to encourage tracking back and a fairly conservative approach?

Also Jambo, i'm thinking of entering but what do we do regarding the league setup before the game? Just our league we are in? Or others?

Can load what ever leagues you like. Because this is not a "challenge" in the true sense, we are not too strict on that. It wont make a huge difference, particularly with only 3 inward signings available.

The Black Box?

Ride on time :brock:

Oe Saint-Etienne sounds really intestesting. 4321 Narrow is not far from my usual 4123 DM Wide, but messing around with AMs and no DMs will be a fun little challenge for me. Let's see how it will take me to get fired.

I almost did this last year, and did not in the end have the time to spend on it. I will give it another go, although it will have to fight for time with my current epic EU IV save!

As an aside, are we as a forum going to reprise the thread where a random team in the WC was assigned and we had to see how well we could do with that nation. Of course this edition would be for the Euros!

Sorry I should of been clearer, I'm in. I don't play enough in none english leagues so don't mind where or who!

Just finished the season on my current save so will be good timing.

Pfft boring ;). 6 players high up the pitch? - attack attack attack !

Good to see this has generated some interest :thup:. Carry on signing up, the more the merrier :).

Yikes lots of interest here.....the black box is gonna over heat at this rate :D Next batch (shout if i miss anyone)

sporadicsmiles - 3421

JWVG - 4321 DM Narrow

summatsupeer - 31312 DM

The black box seems to like the "DM" and "Narrow" formations so far :D

Yikes lots of interest here.....the black box is gonna over heat at this rate :D Next batch (shout if i miss anyone)

sporadicsmiles - 3421

JWVG - 4321 DM Narrow

summatsupeer - 4321 Narrow

:( *raises hand*

sporadicsmiles - 3421

JWVG - 4321 DM Narrow

summatsupeer - 4321 Narrow

How is summatsupeer also getting 4321 Narrow? isn't it a 1 formation per player kind of deal?

How is summatsupeer also getting 4321 Narrow? isn't it a 1 formation per player kind of deal?

Good spot :D for some reason i didnt record your formation on the master list!

Edited original post now - Apologies Summatsupeer!

Archived