Do you change tactics/formation based on opponents, or keep the same always?

So I was wondering, do you change the team you pick or the way you play based on your opposition? As an example, do you have maybe an 'attacking' formation if you are at home to a team near the bottom, and a more 'defensive' formation for a game away to say Arsenal or Man City? Do you play with more creative freedom (such as control, pass into space, get creative, roam from positions, etc) against a 'smaller' team, and then maybe be more structured and defensive against a harder team?

Also, do you ever listen to the scout report and pick a formation that your opposition is vulnerable to? And do you ever listen to recommended tactics from the backroom staff (as they will often recommend you different tactics based on the opponent.

I don't necessarily use different mentalities rather I have two ways of playing which I use dependant on the opposition. One system has its main supporting goal scorer in the middle and the other on the flank with a different distribution of roles in other positions to support this change. The reason for this is to allow me to exploit the space left by the opposition formations. Both systems use a 4-4-1-1 formation but vary on how the goals are created and who scores them. The reason I do this is because when I use one system I always come across bogey teams that no matter what tweaks I make to my main system I always struggle against them due to them being setup perfectly to counter the way I am trying to play. Therefore if I change the method of attack to something significantly different I am far more likely to beat them. I am also happy to change to the other system if the system I started the match with isn't working for some reason and this can be an advantage too.

1) always play with the same formation

2) always play with the same team shape

3) never listen to scout report

4) never listen to assist manager feedback

5) always change my mentality depending on my opponent or if i'm playing home or away:

Home against smaler team: attacking

Home against similiar team: control

Home agains bigger team: standard

Away against smaller team: control

Away against similar/bigger team: counter

6) never change everything else in my tactic, apart the team mentality and perhaps one or two players duty

I keep my same tactic and make minor adjustments as required, either through personnel or instruction changes.

I never listen to scouts or assistants, those reports are worthless imo. A team isn't "vulnerable" to a formation, its the style of play they're more likely to be vulnerable to.

Same formation, mentality and TIs throughout the season, but I'm at the point now where my team is one of the best in the world so I'd assume that there's little chance of teams adjusting to my rep the more seasons I play. Now and then I'll drop the defensive line deeper mid-game if the opposition is getting in behind too often, but 95% of the matches I just play out with the same tactics.

Same formation, mentality and TIs throughout the season, but I'm at the point now where my team is one of the best in the world so I'd assume that there's little chance of teams adjusting to my rep the more seasons I play. Now and then I'll drop the defensive line deeper mid-game if the opposition is getting in behind too often, but 95% of the matches I just play out with the same tactics.

Yeah, this is something that we can do after 3 or 4 seasons.

In every save i've played, in every FM, after a couple os seasons your team have the best players so you can pretty much play with the same tactic every game that in the end you'll win almost every game.

So I was wondering, do you change the team you pick or the way you play based on your opposition? As an example, do you have maybe an 'attacking' formation if you are at home to a team near the bottom, and a more 'defensive' formation for a game away to say Arsenal or Man City? Do you play with more creative freedom (such as control, pass into space, get creative, roam from positions, etc) against a 'smaller' team, and then maybe be more structured and defensive against a harder team?

Also, do you ever listen to the scout report and pick a formation that your opposition is vulnerable to? And do you ever listen to recommended tactics from the backroom staff (as they will often recommend you different tactics based on the opponent.

A lot depends on the side I am playing. If my side is a really good side and I mean premiership good, then I usually rarely change my style of play. In most cases I am the favourite to romp to glory so my team is better in all areas of the pitch. Now things aren't the same with my LLM side Kingstonian. In my YT videos you will see my second season where I am newly promoted to the conference. Here I have to adapt to sides. I have strengths, but more often than not I can't really play to them since it leaves me open at the back. So against some sides I have"

Changed my system - gone from my fav 4312 to a 442 or even a 4141 because the other team is better than me in all areas

Used OI to eek out every advantage...whereas if I am a top side I never bother.

I don't really bother with the ass man, I have never bothered to check their feedback. The only thing I am concerned about is pace on the flanks. Knowing that I am weak defending, I make sure that I know which areas of the pitch I will be pressurised more. And then I either change my system or I use OI or I do both.

As far as recommended tactics/mentality goes..rarely do I take their opinion, but to get results that outperform the average, yes I tinker if I am LLM. If I am already a champions league quality team and I was facing a tougher opposition, I may change mentality, roles slightly and use OI but I probably won''t go to a change in tactic.

Archived