The awful music for the Euros Thread

Neil Brock

• Administrators

Can't ask for anything worse than this:

[video=youtube;PmHnnkzgjCI]

To make up for it, here's a lovely montage from Euro 92.

[video=youtube;ZDp0_2WGlng]

• Administrators
It's not a good song, and I love the Manics

Aye, I like a lot of the Manics music, but not this. Bloody awful and the lyrics were probably written on the back of a fag packet.

E-Type - Campione 2000 and Jlo's (back when she was still Jennifer Lopez) "Let's Get Loud" hold a special place in my heart. Although I admit its more due to the nostalgia factor rather than being good songs.

The Anastacia and Nelly Furtado songs were bollocks though. (or were those World Cup songs? I forgot)

• 2 weeks later...
Oh wait. Is this a football song? (Euro 2000 as well IRC)

can't believe that song is 18 years old :(

the Manics song is dire and I'm a huge fan of them. I know it's for Wales but the lyrics are just awful

I heard that Manics thing on 6 Music the other day and nearly puked. "Don't forget Gary Speed / he wore his heart on his sleeve". I never did like them and their sloganeering tedium much anyway.

World In Motion is hideously over-rated too. The only football song I ever bought, to my eternal shame, was this:

[video=youtube;fhLG-vZhF6o]

Did the Manics actually write the lyrics to that? It's not a bad song exactly but just sounds like they wrote the lyrics on the 5 min bus ride to the recording studio.

"The lyrics, penned by Nicky Wire, namecheck Wales stars Gareth Bale and Aaron Ramsey, while the final section of the song celebrates the rest of the squad."

The bit about Gary Speed really irks me. When they sing "he wore his heart on his sleeve", are they referring to his qualities as a player / manager, or are they referencing his suicide? If it's the latter, it's horribly mawkish and cliched.

The bit about Gary Speed really irks me. When they sing "he wore his heart on his sleeve", are they referring to his qualities as a player / manager, or are they referencing his suicide? If it's the latter, it's horribly mawkish and cliched.

:D don't think the Manics are singing about Speed's suicide for a football song. It's quite obvious they're talking about his qualities as a person/manager/player.

referencing his suicide :lol:

Did the Manics actually write the lyrics to that? It's not a bad song exactly but just sounds like they wrote the lyrics on the 5 min bus ride to the recording studio.

Nicky wrote the lyrics and wanted to get in some of the memories from the heartache he's felt when watching them which is why Joe Jordan & Paul Bodin get significant references.

obviously the references to how he was as a player? how anyone would even think it was a reference to his death is beyond me

obviously the references to how he was as a player? how anyone would even think it was a reference to his death is beyond me

In which case, why mention him at all? As opposed to, say, John Charles, I mean. He's mentioned because his death is so recent and so tragic, and the corny lyric makes me, I dunno, cringe a bit.

Unless he's only mentioned because Speed kind of rhymes with 'sleeve'. I suppose it's difficult to get anything to rhyme with Ivor Allchurch.

Speed was more likely mentioned because in all honesty it's his team who have qualified

I'm sure Welsh people will say Coleman has done this and that but it was Speed who started it up

The Speed line does sound a bit corny (like "the world is full of refugees/they're just like you and just like me" from The Everlasting)

But it's heartfelt- Nicky has (a kind of) experience of losing someone close to depression and also in Welsh football- captaining the schoolboy team at 14.

He has had a song for Wales in mind since when they came close to qualifying for USA 94.

Have a day off, dickhead.

Speed was more likely mentioned because in all honesty it's his team who have qualified

I'm sure Welsh people will say Coleman has done this and that but it was Speed who started it up

No, virtually every Welsh fan accepts that Speed started it. And will ever be grateful to him. His name still gets sung every game without fail and there's plenty of flags with him on.

Still can't get over that post above, a reference to his death ffs.

Archived