Not getting job offers

I´m on my 3rd save of FM16, finished 3 seasons, and just realised that not once have I been approached by other clubs to be their new Manager. In the previous 2 saves (and on previous Football Manager games) I would have been approached by now (usually after 2 good seasons, I find.)

In his save I started with Leyton Orient who had just been relegated from League 1 to League 2. Got promotion back to League 1 in first season and respectable 10th place in League 1 in the 2nd season.

Any ideas? Have I by mistake deactivated something in the Preferences?

There could be a few factors. Handling budgets, contract length & buy out fees, the fact you got relegating etc I had a warning off my board after clearing out my backroom staff and didnt get any job offers for 18months...

I think because the club had just been relegated, promotion wasn't seen as such a great achievement. It may take a little more improvement before clubs come in for you. Do you have the clause in your contract about the percentage of your wage as compensation?

This happened to me too. Two consecutive promotions and then an 8th place finish with York, their highest ever league position. I was then laughed off as a candidate by clubs lower in the league than York. I resigned to see if that helped matters. Nope. Only Huddersfield wanted me, l took them from bottom of the Championship to 6th in the Premiership. My wage didn't rise, and l was laughed off by every club, but then surprisingly offered the England job. Great. I took it. I was then inundated with offers from Championship strugglers like Ipswich and Charlton, and being challenged by the media demanding to know why l didn't want these jobs, even though l was England manager. This annoyed me so much l binned the save.

(Edit): l must add by the way that l did report the above in the bug section, and this save was on the 16.2 version, so may well have been significantly tweaked since then, and will presumably be improved for future editions.

What starting reputation did you set yourself? This improves quite slowly and seems to be the main factor in the AI shortlisting managers.

The flip side is that if you start off with a high reputation then clubs come looking for you no matter how badly you've actually done considering the resources you've been given. Despite selling off half the first team squad at cut prices, wage settlements that put the club firmly on the road to bankruptcy, a win/loss record of almost unprecedented awfulness for a club predicted to win the league and some almost unfathomably wide margins of defeat when I got really funky with formations and team selection, my experiment to see if I could do a worse a job as Mourinho this season lasted nearly as long as the title-winning club legend himself, and I was inundated with job offers for other good Premiership teams after I left, in one case even after I'd responded insultingly to the rumour in the media. I was an "ex international footballer" of course, but so was John Barnes...

I think there's an argument that reputation should increase or decrease much more quickly (relative to the league standard and whether performance is in line with media expectations and spending) earlier in a manager's career than later. But I guess some people would say that defeats the point of starting as an ex Sunday League footballer to make things as hard as possible

It too me until I got to the Championship with Oriend and had been settled there for a couple of seasons before anyone started showing interest in me. I'd say the first interview offer I had came half way through my fourth season. I got back to back promotions in my first two seasons and a solid mid table finish in the championship in my third. Fourth season I struggled a bit but a few offers came through. Nothing exciting though.

• 1 month later...

I'm 14 years into the game at Forfar, we've won 6 straight SPL titles, I have the highest number of wins of any coach in the game (from starting date), Watford has a manager opening...and they come in for my U21 coach, hire him for $30K/wk, even though he's never been a senior manager of any club. The year before, Swansea comes in and hires another of my coaches, again with no senior experience. Why do I have to keep replacing my staff who are all being hired away (for no compensation), and I'm not even getting mentioned for top-level clubs? I have continental reputation, a continental pro license, and started as a professional (national level) player, but even when my contract drops below 6 months, I don't even get offered an interview.

Are you declaring an interest or even applying for vacancies that interest you? The hiring of staff who require little or no compensation could also be a factor, why hire someone who will cost you a fee when one who doesn't meets the criteria you've set?

Are you declaring an interest or even applying for vacancies that interest you? The hiring of staff who require little or no compensation could also be a factor, why hire someone who will cost you a fee when one who doesn't meets the criteria you've set?

Oh, yeah, when the board let my contract run down to under 6 months, and I was being asked the "you've been there a long time, have you considered moving on" or "The Chelsea job is open, what do you think about that?" questions, I expressed interest (upsetting the board momentarily) I've sat for a couple interviews (that I applied for), but then they hire some guy with a 40% winning percentage. It's not a compensation issue, because one of the Premier League teams hired Guardiola away for $8 million in compensation, they could have had me for $250K. (yes, I know I'm no Guardiola...)

It's not that I NEED to leave Forfar to be validated - I've built something great there, we're consistently filling a 20,000-seat stadium, we make it to the knock-out stage of the Champions nearly every season, one of my strikers won the Golden Boot. I just resent hiring some guy for my staff and watching him leave for a better-paying job when he doesn't even need to apply or express interest, it's just *bam*, he's gone.

I'm 14 years into the game at Forfar, we've won 6 straight SPL titles, I have the highest number of wins of any coach in the game (from starting date), Watford has a manager opening...and they come in for my U21 coach, hire him for $30K/wk, even though he's never been a senior manager of any club. The year before, Swansea comes in and hires another of my coaches, again with no senior experience. Why do I have to keep replacing my staff who are all being hired away (for no compensation), and I'm not even getting mentioned for top-level clubs? I have continental reputation, a continental pro license, and started as a professional (national level) player, but even when my contract drops below 6 months, I don't even get offered an interview.

I've also had the same, though I have not achieved quite the same as yourself. I've been the Burnley manager for 6 seasons, getting them promoted to the premier league as champions in my first season there after they finished a disappointing 9th the season before. I managed to finish in the top half of the premier league in my first season, 3rd in the second season (only 1 point off first), since then I have won the premier league consecutively for the past 3 seasons, 2 more league cups and made it to the final of the FA cup three times and the champions league once. All with a home-grown (nation) squad, and consistently being very frugal with my salary and transfer expenditure.

Like yourself, I would have been approached by other clubs a long time ago on previous saves, but on this I now keep finding my staff getting offered jobs at other clubs, which is a bit frustrating as replacing them is never ideal. With my last premier league win I am now in the English managers hall of fame, so you would expect my reputation to be quite high.

The only thing I think that can count against me is that my I started this save with Darmstadt (German Bundesliga), were we finished bottom and were relegated. But surely, the my achievements since then would seriously outweigh it.

I have the same issue. I have now won 5 consecutive league titles with Atletico and 4 CL titles in a row, but no offers what so ever. I have the best reputation and created my manager as an international footballer.

Sure I'm on a 110K p/w contract and that might scare some clubs, but I often am in my last year of my contract and not ever have any teams approached me and they keep firing their managers left and right...

I have the same issue. I have now won 5 consecutive league titles with Atletico and 4 CL titles in a row, but no offers what so ever. I have the best reputation and created my manager as an international footballer.

Sure I'm on a 110K p/w contract and that might scare some clubs, but I often am in my last year of my contract and not ever have any teams approached me and they keep firing their managers left and right...

What about the club? I imagine they are in the top 3 on the worldwide list & that leaves very few other clubs that would consider you a viable target while you're still employed.

What about the club? I imagine they are in the top 3 on the worldwide list & that leaves very few other clubs that would consider you a viable target while you're still employed.

Never thought of that, I'm ranked #1.

Hmm I agree It wouldnt make me viable target, looking from their perspective.

Just to follow up - was tired of not getting approached, so when both Chelsea and Nottingham Forest fired their managers in February, I put in for the Chelsea job, gave them a good interview...and the Forfar board suddenly popped up with the "we'd like to open negotiations for you to remain." I declined and waited for my offer. A few days later, Chelsea came in with the "adjust your potential staffing" and gave me $2.1 million to play with (which doesn't go very far when the buyouts on both sides were in the $400K-$600K range). Anyway, filled some spots, brought over who I could, and was announced as the Chelsea manager. Club was in 11th, I have 13 games to get us at or near continental competition. I feel like I left Forfar in good standing, they've clinched Champions for next year, they're in the first knockout stage, and their cupboard is full of prospects.

Excellent stuff, just need to make it known that you're interested.

Im the absence of us having agents it is the best way to create an exit when looking to leave a lower ranked nation.

Yeah very much will be related to the starting reputation you set when you created your manager.

I think this is a problem on its own though and shouldn't be (if it is) the main reason as to why clubs would want to hire you.

I started as Bolton, saved them from relegation and left before taking on a L1 Burton who struggled in the prior season. Even when I was first, I was being laughed away from clubs who were in a L1 relegation fight even though I'd pummelled them throughout the season.

It was strange to say the least.

I think this is a problem on its own though and shouldn't be (if it is) the main reason as to why clubs would want to hire you.

I started as Bolton, saved them from relegation and left before taking on a L1 Burton who struggled in the prior season. Even when I was first, I was being laughed away from clubs who were in a L1 relegation fight even though I'd pummelled them throughout the season.

It was strange to say the least.

I did find it strange that early in the save the only job offers I was getting was from teams in the same league but lower down the table. I'd be in first place, and some team in relegation would fire their coach and offer me a job. Um, yeah, I'm not leaving first place for the bottom of the league.

Archived