Club Loyalty/Manager Reputation

I'd love to know how your managerial reputation is calculated and if there is any semblance of club favourites etc.

For some background, I took Woking from the Conference to the Prem in consecutive seasons, and won the Prem/CL just two seasons later. After 2 titles, 2 FA Cups and 2 CL's in 3 years I moved on to Napoli and then Valencia.Midway through my second season at Valencia, the Woking job became available! Brendan Rogers being sacked after taking my beloved Cards down to the ignominy of 8th place. Surprisingly, I wasn't linked with the job...still, I applied anyway putting this down to error.

But no! Apparently, Mass Allegri was considered a better option than me. Who had taken Woking from the Conference to the CL. Is there no favourite personnel for the clubs?!

I decided to try a little experiment, and restart from an earlier save, manipulating Woking's results to cause Rogers to be sacked later, when Allegri had taken another job. So Guardiola got it. When I did it so Guardiola had taken another job, Blanc got it. One last time, I tried when Blanc had gone elsewhere, and who should get the job? BRENDAN ROGERS. The man that they had sacked 3 weeks before, was preferred over me. I'd love someone to explain that....

Basically, with what I did for a tiny club and the things i'd won (before moving on to Napoli and Valencia and winning league and CL with both) I should be pretty much the best manager in the world. According to the rankings, I am. Even favourite personnel aside, surely I should be able to get any job I apply for? And if not, why not?

• SI Staff

We already made a few changes in this area to improve reputation development of successful human managers, if you have a save from the position you're in now I can force some sackings and see what happens.

I actually managed to work around it I think, thanks Alari - I had a domestic player loyalty of 1 (due to my habit of buying cheap Argentinians I suspect) so I turned Valencia into an all-Spanish team, won title & CL with that and Woking had me back. I personally think they may be overrating that, considering they were turning down the greatest manager in their history (and arguably in football - conference to CL remember) because he didn't pick the local youth.

There's a broader question here though - how are manager rankings assessed? They seem to fluctuate wildy. Even with the record I have (title or CL in pretty much every season with Woking, Napoli & Valencia plus a cup or two each time), I end up as 14th ranked, before a trophy win pushes me back to the top.

Archived