2 Striker formation??

Hey guys.

Managing Liverpool.

I will admit I tend to use others successful tactics and make slight tweaks to suit my team, so thank you to the community :)

What I am after is, a good two striker formation.'

I have 2 successful single striker formations and tactics all set, I could easily just shuffle players about, but the issue is I use attacking wingers and have no players available for a flat 4-4-2, if I use wide attacking mids with 2 up front, it leaves me open way to much.

So should I really hunt for players who can play a basic flat 4-4-2?

I have so many great attacking wingers, so if I play narrow, such as a 4-4-2 with diamond midfield, I am wasting those attacking wingers.

First world problems :(

Any advice would be nice thanks.

Here is my 4-4-2 Diamond formation.

Barbosa and Sturridge would be upfront, I just sold Morata and those first 2 got injured, so I am playing Regens.

sPSedNS.jpg

That formation leaves Coutinho on the bench, Shaqiri has been gold for me so he get's the AMC position. Ibe is on the bench and cannot get a game as well.

Usually if I play one striker, I have Shaqiri on one wing and Coutinho on the other. with a DM in place so no AMC.

This is why you need a vision or at least an idea of how you want to play. If not then how can you squad build and have good squad management? Saying you want wingers isn't anywhere near enough info to go on to be able to help you. We need more input from yourself.

I want to play fast, high possession football, with a good passing game.

Want to break open teams with pace, which is why I prefer the use of attacking wingers as they fly down the wings and I usually instruct them to cut inside.

But lately I have struggled to get the men in the box quick enough, I have been using a lone striker for the entire save, so looking to switch to 2 strikers to get another body up front.

If I play a strong team, I drop in a DM, example below.

ISMtsDll.jpg

if I play a weaker team, I use an AMC, example below.

fypy8xfl.jpg

What I have done in the past, is move the DM/AM player up to striker position, so basically a 4-4-2 but with the Wingers pushed up. This left me open against the team that sit back, my team seemed to push up when in attack, the opposition regains possession and just pounds me on the way down leaving maybe 2 defenders left. Even if I instructed them all to sit back more, some how the opposition would weave through.

So I seem to be lacking a real balance, I want more attack but then fail at getting back to defend, regardless of instructions. I could always do a flat 4-4-2 but I don't have players to fill the MR/ML positions, and I dislike playing players unless they're natural in a position.

I am currently playing the narrow tactic I posted a few posts up, tweaked it a little bit and seem to be flying, Coutinho has hit form and Shaqiri is now on the bench, thinking of selling him as he is a waste of money and I have many backup youngsters for the AMC position that are ready for some first team experience.

Then I guess if I switch to an Attacking winger formation, I will be short players, seems I cannot have it all. Ibe is still here and is reasonable backup, but hardly get's a game while I play narrow.

Every formation I have studied does not allow two strikers and attacking wingers with balanced defense, so I have to sacrifice either the two striker Idea, and maybe play a Shadow Striker in attack in the AMC position, and on those hard games drop the AMC and bring in a DM.

Or give away the attacking wingers, play narrow with two striker and Coutinho in behind as an attacking play maker, which is what I am playing right nowe it it is prooving to be effective, more than my Winger tactic.

So should I sell Shaqiri?? But keep Ibe around?

I also have Barbosa who can play AMR/ST, but he is injured at the moment, he will partner Sturridge in my narrow tactic and also sit on the right when I play the attacking winger tactic, With Maybe Ibe as reserve I can afford to sell Shaqiri I think, and just look for a young player as extra backup.

Sorry for dribbling!!

I want to play fast, high possession football, with a good passing game.

Want to break open teams with pace, which is why I prefer the use of attacking wingers as they fly down the wings and I usually instruct them to cut inside.

Possession on FM is calculated by time spent on the ball and not the amount of passes made. So already we know that in order to play a high possession game then you need players to take their time on the ball. How does this fit in with playing fast football? Why is high possession so important to you?

You say you want to break teams open with pace so this suggest that you need players deep to be able to do this doesn't it? If the players are high up the pitch already then how can they break at pace? To make use of pace players need space and more often than not, to make runs from deeper. This is what rips opens teams. If you play a fast, high possession game again, how does this fit into this?

If I play a strong team, I drop in a DM, example below.

What other changes do you make to compensate for the lack of the AMC you use in the other formation? What I mean is, he is an attacking midfielder so obviously a threat going forward. What changes do you make to the rest of the front 3 now to compensate for the loss of this? Or don't you? If you don't then there's one of your issues.

But lately I have struggled to get the men in the box quick enough, I have been using a lone striker for the entire save, so looking to switch to 2 strikers to get another body up front.

I can't see the instructions used in one of the tactics, but in the 4231 you only have 2 players who get into the box anyway. The issue here is roles you use. You use two wingers on support and a wingers game is all about crosses. You use a poacher who is static and doesn't move that well compared to other striker roles. So for him to get involved he needs accurate balls played to him and more often than not he will be out numbered. Then you have the AMC who is the only player in your side other than your striker looking to get into the box. Your roles and duty allocation on the front 4 is very conservative and static really. You could increase movement and get more people into the box by using different roles and duties.

So I seem to be lacking a real balance, I want more attack but then fail at getting back to defend, regardless of instructions

The 4231 gives you 4 players to give you plenty of attacking options. If you currently don't get this then you need to ask yourself why, almost half your players are already positioned high up the pitch and in areas where they can influence the game and offer real attacking threat. If that's not enough players to give attacking options then how is adding more going to make you more balanced? What I'm saying is the 4231 is very balanced and can give you everything you want, you just need to sort the roles out.

I could always do a flat 4-4-2 but I don't have players to fill the MR/ML positions, and I dislike playing players unless they're natural in a position.

Any player who is a AML/R can play ML/MR easily, don;t get so hung up saying they can't because they can. You can also train them to be natural in it too but even if they're not, there is no real draw back if the player has the correct attributes to begin with.

Then I guess if I switch to an Attacking winger formation, I will be short players, seems I cannot have it all

You can but it looks like you've been squad building and buying players who don't suit the way you play.

Every formation I have studied does not allow two strikers and attacking wingers with balanced defense, so I have to sacrifice either the two striker Idea, and maybe play a Shadow Striker in attack in the AMC position, and on those hard games drop the AMC and bring in a DM.

442 can be balanced and allow it. A 4411 can give you the same balance and act like a 442. Then we have the 3412 which can offer you balance along with other formations such as 352, 532, 41122 etc. There are plenty of formations that allow 2 wingers and 2 strikers. The key is how you set the other 6 outfield players up. If you have 4 player attack minded like 2 strikers and 2 wingers then you know you need the other players to be more defensive minded with maybe 1 or 2 of them being more generalised and link defence to midfield etc

There are plenty of tactics that allow what you want. It just requires better squad building and management.

Hey guys.

Managing Liverpool.

I will admit I tend to use others successful tactics and make slight tweaks to suit my team, so thank you to the community :)

What I am after is, a good two striker formation.'

I have 2 successful single striker formations and tactics all set, I could easily just shuffle players about, but the issue is I use attacking wingers and have no players available for a flat 4-4-2, if I use wide attacking mids with 2 up front, it leaves me open way to much.

So should I really hunt for players who can play a basic flat 4-4-2?

I have so many great attacking wingers, so if I play narrow, such as a 4-4-2 with diamond midfield, I am wasting those attacking wingers.

First world problems :(

Any advice would be nice thanks.

Herr Klopp is generally playing a 442/4411 every week - why not take a leaf out of his book.

If your playing as Liverpool, 2 of Stirridge/Firmino/Origi can work well (although Origi needs some development in FM16). I'd go for a CF(A)/F9 combo and set the rest of the team up to feed them.

Ok so this is the 4-4-2 Tactic I have built..

rW7dOzGl.jpg

And here is the season opener against City..

dOsD7BAl.jpg

Signed players like Bentancur, Grealish and Leroy Sane.

Coutinho usually plays on ML, and Sane on MR. Both got injured in Community shield, lol.

So I played Bentancur on right and Grealish on left for first game, Bentancur got injured!!

Yay..

Wouldn't mind some help with Pairing, both striker and the two center mids..

Current have a DLF-S and AF-At in striker positions.

Centers are CM-S and CM-D..

Based on your posted result v Man City, I fail to see what your problem is.

Ok, saying that playing attacking wingers and two strikers doesn't work is ridiculous. I play a flat 4-4-2 with Orient and am now in the Prem in season 2021/22. Very simple but highly effective.

From right to left:

GK(d) - shorter passes, distribute to full backs

FB(s) - cross more often, shoot less often, cross at target man

CD(d)

CD(d)

FB(s) - cross more often, shoot less often, cross at target man, get further forward (to fill the space left by the left midfielder)

W(a) - cross at target man, shoot less often

CM(s) - shoot less often, get further forward (depending on who I'm playing)

DLP(d) - shoot less often

WM(a) - cut inside, cross at target man, shoot less often

AF(a) - shorter passes

TM(s) - fewer risky passes

Fluid Counter

TIs: Shorter Passing, Play Out Of Defence, Close Down More

Very old school but solid and gets me goals. The right full back holds deeper than the right winger who bombs down the flank. The DLP sits deeper and covers if the left full back overlaps. The left midfielder fills the attacking hole ahead of the DLP. I like having a big target in the box, hence the target man. However I didn't want my players to hoof it forward at every opportunity so I put a playmaker in to try and encourage them to look for him as well. Plus with the play out of defence they seem to look for a shorter pass first. However, if they need to then they'll lump a long ball forward to get us away from our own goal. The Advanced Forward feeds on the flick ons and provides an option when the TM holds the ball up. He runs the channels and pressures the defence.

Like I said very simple but I get over 50% possession on average every game, win most of my tackles and have a good crossing efficiency. My right winger often chips in with plenty of goals as well. Honestly I think that system could work for Liverpool pretty well with Benteke and Sturridge up front. Ibe on the right would be lethal and they've got plenty of midfielders who could okay the other roles.

Ok, saying that playing attacking wingers and two strikers doesn't work is ridiculous. I play a flat 4-4-2 with Orient and am now in the Prem in season 2021/22. Very simple but highly effective.

From right to left:

GK(d) - shorter passes, distribute to full backs

FB(s) - cross more often, shoot less often, cross at target man

CD(d)

CD(d)

FB(s) - cross more often, shoot less often, cross at target man, get further forward (to fill the space left by the left midfielder)

W(a) - cross at target man, shoot less often

CM(s) - shoot less often, get further forward (depending on who I'm playing)

DLP(d) - shoot less often

WM(a) - cut inside, cross at target man, shoot less often

AF(a) - shorter passes

TM(s) - fewer risky passes

Fluid Counter

TIs: Shorter Passing, Play Out Of Defence, Close Down More

Very old school but solid and gets me goals. The right full back holds deeper than the right winger who bombs down the flank. The DLP sits deeper and covers if the left full back overlaps. The left midfielder fills the attacking hole ahead of the DLP. I like having a big target in the box, hence the target man. However I didn't want my players to hoof it forward at every opportunity so I put a playmaker in to try and encourage them to look for him as well. Plus with the play out of defence they seem to look for a shorter pass first. However, if they need to then they'll lump a long ball forward to get us away from our own goal. The Advanced Forward feeds on the flick ons and provides an option when the TM holds the ball up. He runs the channels and pressures the defence.

Like I said very simple but I get over 50% possession on average every game, win most of my tackles and have a good crossing efficiency. My right winger often chips in with plenty of goals as well. Honestly I think that system could work for Liverpool pretty well with Benteke and Sturridge up front. Ibe on the right would be lethal and they've got plenty of midfielders who could okay the other roles.

Read what I wrote again, I never said it does not work I said the flanks (Wingers & Fullbacks) both on attack is extremely attack minded and you MAY come a cropper at some stage against elite sides.

My suggestion was to drop to a support role somewhere down each flank to make you more stable and less prone to being countered against down the flank areas.

Read what I wrote again, I never said it does not work I said the flanks (Wingers & Fullbacks) both on attack is extremely attack minded and you MAY come a cropper at some stage against elite sides.

My suggestion was to drop to a support role somewhere down each flank to make you more stable and less prone to being countered against down the flank areas.

Sorry mate it wasn't you I was referring to. The OP mentioned that he couldn't get 2 strikers and wingers working together. I was just too lazy to quote the bit I needed!

Apologies also.

What I mean was, 2 strikers with two wingers in the AML/AMR spots, not the ML/MR spots. 4 Players pushed that high up cause me to get pounded by higher teams, especially with the defenders on attack too.

I have since changed my tactic.

I have left ML/MR on W(At), and put my DL/DR both on support.

I play 4-4-2 all the time since it is such a simple and familiar shape. I know exactly what I want from each player and it is very easy to spot errors and issues even on Key or Extended highlights.

When fielding two attackers, one should threaten the rear of the defence (AF/P) and one should threaten the gap between the midfield and the defence (TM/DLF/F9). It is really that easy.

As Liverpool, I imagine Benteke would do a wonderful job at DLF while Origi or Sturridge would be good as AF - but it depends on your style. I always think in counter-attacking strategies, but a more controlling formation with wide, heavy-crossing wingers might benefit from Benteke as a strong AF with Sturridge roaming as a F9.

I play 4-4-2 all the time since it is such a simple and familiar shape. I know exactly what I want from each player and it is very easy to spot errors and issues even on Key or Extended highlights.

When fielding two attackers, one should threaten the rear of the defence (AF/P) and one should threaten the gap between the midfield and the defence (TM/DLF/F9). It is really that easy.

As Liverpool, I imagine Benteke would do a wonderful job at DLF while Origi or Sturridge would be good as AF - but it depends on your style. I always think in counter-attacking strategies, but a more controlling formation with wide, heavy-crossing wingers might benefit from Benteke as a strong AF with Sturridge roaming as a F9.

Likewise I've been playing a lot of 442 (and with Liverpool too).

I generally go with (reading as R to L) SK/FBs, CDd, CDd, CWBs/Wa, CMs, CMd, WPa/F9, CFa although I'm currently trialing SS at AMCR with a CFs at STCL. Sturridge can play all the roles bar the SS and Firmino does well at either SS or F9. Shipped out Benteke after 1st season as he rarely played in this set up.

Archived