[FM16] I don't know where I'm going, only I know where I've been

Northernpilgrim

Following on from the demise of my Arsenal and Liverpool careers through the dreaded 'the saved game could not be loaded' error message, I've decided to have one last crack at getting a good career going on FM16. This is going to be a journeyman save, so expect frequent job changes, though if I fancy staying somewhere for a few seasons, I will.

The challenge

Take charge at a National League North/South club, and work my way up to the very top via promotions and new jobs. I've loaded England down to the National League North/South, the top 2 divisions in Germany, Italy and Spain. I won't consider a job abroad until I've at least managed in the Championship. I will eventually take a national team role, but not before I've won at least one of the top flight leagues loaded. I might load additional leagues and remove some of the starting ones, depending on how long into the future the save goes.

Starting point

Truro-city-football-club.png

Truro City is where I began my life, and where this save will begin too, but after that, who knows. I will stay with them until either I get promotion or get sacked, whichever comes first

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's the squad I inherited. Whilst there are definitely players here who will form part of Truro's long term future, there are also a number who are only here because of the limited finances available to a semi-pro outfit in a south-western outpost.

Truro%20squad_zpsvayhakpl.png

The bookmakers odds suggest that mere survival is the limit of our ambitions, and the board have asked for exactly that. Regardless of how the season goes, I'm not going to raise those expectations, regardless of how we do in the first half of the season

Truro%20VLS%20Odds_zpstgxthm8u.png

There was some transfer activity, but not much money spent, as officially we had a £0 transfer budget but we were operating well under the wage budget (comparatively for this level), so I managed to get one fee paying transfer in

Ttansfers%20summer%202015_zpshl2dtaza.png

Anyone who knows about football at this level will know Stewart Yetton. His scoring record has been phenomenal. He left Truro City under a cloud (and that's putting it mildly) in 2013, but after 2 years away, I've decided that his scoring ability meant I couldn't keep him away any longer.

Here's a screenshot of his career. I've deliberately left off this season as I'm actually a few months in, and I don't want to spoil it for anyone reading.

Yetton_zpse47lmagt.png

August was what I'd refer to as a 'slow burner'. We faced 7 matches, won none of the first 5, taking 4 points, but increased that to 10 from 7 by winning the last 2

Aug%202015_zpsgjbfs22q.png

as despite losing less games than anybody apart from undefeated leaders Maidenhead, we finished the month in mid table

Aug%202015%20table_zpsx6zu5ek4.png

September was a frustrating month, as my worries about the defensive capability look to be well founded#

Sep%202015_zpsitvyrtd6.png

and we ended the month 3 points clear of the drop zone, but only 6 from the playoffs.

Sep%202015%20table_zpsngptv1jc.png

We couldn't mount a challenge, could we?

Maybe I can learn something from you about leaving Vanarama Land.

I've not managed in Vanarama South before, so it's a new one for me, but the secret seems to be keep things simple. Play your best players in their preferred positions, and work out the formation from there. The quality at this level is pretty bad, a rating of 10 is decent for a key stat in this division.

but what do you do when it is in your folder

Go onto Steam (open the program via the icon on the desktop)

Click on your username (top right of screen)

Select 'CONTENT' from the dropdown, and then click the 'SCREENSHOTS' tab.

You should then be looking at your screenshots.

Click the screenshot (not sure if it's left or right mouse button)

This should give you a URL (link) for your screenshot.

Copy the link, and paste it into where you want the picture.

Rugby city? Truro is far from a rugby city, it doesn't even have a competitive rugby team. We maybe a Rugby county, but its definitely a football city I would say

Point taken. A more accurate description might be that it's a footballing oasis in a rugby playing desert. If Cornwall ever got independence, rugby would definitely be the national sport. The relevant post has been amended.

Had we won the away game against Maidstone (and being 2-0 up after 4 minutes we should have done), we'd be in the playoffs right now. I've already tried to tie down a few players to contracts for next season, but they've said they don't want to sign for another season as we're not a big enough club. I have to get Truro promoted this year or face a total rebuild.

Started well in Cornwall.

Thanks Nobby. Given that the bookies tipped us for relegation, and the board will be happy if that doesn't happen, it looks like we'll exceed those expectations this season. I was hoping to make the playoffs this season, and push on next season, but it will all come down to how many players end up staying for next season, and whether an appealing job becomes available, either in the National League regional divisions, or the National League itself. The ideal scenario would be if a team relegated from the National League gives me a shot at getting them back up. As stated originally, this is a journeyman, so I will be moving frequently, but given the right job, I'll stick around for a couple of seasons or so.

I just started a new save on chelmsford but struggling, more tips? I found the squad is so weak and there is 0 transfer budget, no idea what to do....

Do a player search, look for free transfers. You can even bring players in on non-contract terms (which won't cost you anything in wages or transfer fees), the only drawback being they'll probably leave you at the end of the season. If you can afford to offer a wage, do that. Player quality in Vanarama North/South is pretty poor. Play a more attacking formation as defences are awful at this level. I'm using something between a 4-4-2 and 4-3-3 (I've got one winger playing in the AMR position, the other as ML. Basically, pick the best 11 players in their preferred positions. That's how I ended up with an imbalanced looking formation, but it's taking a team predicted to be relegated into a playoff position. I'm hoping we can carry on. As for a squad, get the best 11 players you possibly can, then just add bodies. Play the first XI week in, week out, and only drop players if their average rating drops REALLY low (below about 6.25), or if they are actually injured. Fitness at this level is really bad, but if that's true for your team, it is for the opposition too. I've scored the second most goals (same as Dartford, 10 less than Margate, but have conceded as many as one of the bottom 3.) Forget any notion of scoring and holding on, the players just aren't good enough. I'm not sure how big the jump to the National League is, but if we go up I'm leaving, and if I get offered a decent alternative I'll be off too.

Just noticed, how the hell are Concord Rangers in the bottom 3 when they've conceded less goals than 3 of the top 5?? And I'd hate to watch St Albans every week. They're top despite having scored as many as the bottom team Chelmsford, but they've got a mean defence. We took 4 points off them this season though :)

All of the first 10 players on the above list have been offered youth contracts. I'm not going to be around when they come into the first team, but these guys will definitely either form the nucleus of Truro's first team in 7-8 years, or be sold on to raise money. I hope it's the former and helps them reach the Football League.

March started well, but we ran out of steam by the end of a busy month

Mar%202016_zpsp0ncynjw.png

although we're still in a playoff spot, our chance of the title has probably gone, and we'll need to keep an eye on those behind us, as there are a whole host of clubs chasing us.

Mar%202016%20table_zpsnh5cm7ap.png

We gave it a right good go in April, winning all our matches

Apr%202016_zpscqyktyse.png

but fell agonisingly short of the title and automatic promotion, as Oxford City held off Maidenhead on goal difference, with Truro just a solitary point behind

Apr%202016%20table_zpsh5hsjbo5.png

So, it's a two-legged playoff with St Albans City in the semi final, and there are a number of very interesting vacancies at the moment, as well as a few managers listed as 'very insecure' at clubs I'd definitely be interested in joining. Playoff and future plans update will hopefully be done tomorrow. I think it's odds on me leaving Truro, but it's not a done deal, yet.

Came into form right when it mattered, congrats! :)

Do you still plan on leaving even though you've managed promotion?

I'm looking at my options, have applied for a few things but only knockbacks so far. If something comes up that I fancy and I'm offered it, I'll go, but I won't leave for nothing. One major bummer is the board won't allow us to go full time, another is that they've frozen the wage budget, so after the promotion clauses kicked in, even with one star player leaving, we're still over budget. Looks like if I stay last seasons Youth Intake will be getting in the first team sooner than I thought.

I was linked with a few jobs over the summer, and made several applications, and despite being turned down by Chester and Morecambe (of Vanarama North and Vanarama National respectively), I have just been appointed as the manager of a League 2 club

Hartlepool%20job_zpsdzdjohmx.png

All the departures happened before my arrival, and I brought in the last 2 players, which I'm pleased to have secured

Summer%202016_zpsnghzau1p.png

McAnuff will provide cover, as well as being on the coaching staff

McAnuff_zpsl7nquejg.png

and Hayhurst definitely has a big future at Hartlepool

Hayhurst_zpscxl2zy7x.png

Scott Harrison was injured before I arrived, and isn't due back until mid-September. He'll be a regular at centre back when he's fit. Jack Turnbull is out long term and isn't expected back until January or February. If he's fit by then, I'll look to loan him out. I only have a 1 year contract, and have to make the playoffs to satisfy the board. If we go up, I'll move on. If we meet the objective but don't go up, I'll probably give it one more season before moving on. There is no money to spend, but I don't have to sell anyone that I don't want to.

How did you get a League 2 side to want you so quickly! I'm 8 years in and I'm still working on getting out of Vanarama National!

Not sure but I'm guessing the fact that the Truro side I got promoted were 100-1 to win the League probably impressed them. It's going to be tough in League 2 though as Hartlepool haven't exactly been tearing up trees in recent seasons!

August began with 2 league defeats against teams the bookies think will be in the top 3, as well as a cup defeat to League 1 Barnsley. A switch to a flat 4-4-2 in the next game, and we won 3 on the bounce, before another cup defeat to a League 1 team

Aug%202016_zpsg6tc4ggr.png

and it might only be August, but we're already on target for a top 7 finish

Aug%202016%20table_zpsngejerey.png

There is no transfer window update, as there were no further arrivals or departures

Archived