Half Back vs Deep Lying Playmaker Help Pls

What are the significant differences between Half Back and Deep lying Playmaker (D) from DM strata? If I use attacking Complete Wing Backs from Full Back positions, which one would be appropriate? Also, is it appropriate using Sweeper Keeper (D) when using Half Back?

Using Sweeper Keeper could well be appropriate - if your using a half-back you should be playing a pressing/control based game with a higher line - which gives space for the sweeper keeper to work in - your half-back will push the CD's further up the pitch and whilst I never tried half-back & sweeper-keeper in conjunction - in theory it could work quite well. A DLP-D won't effect your defensive line - and wont drop behind the defence as the half-back does.

(Does this information also qualify as being useless and pointless CLEON - given it contains information pertinent to the game - Just ban me and be done with it)

In order to understand the Half-Back role, think Busquets.

There's a mechanism which makes the Half Back drop between the two centre backs when in possession creating a passing outlet when building from deep. This creates a back 3 so you'll want to make sure your fullbacks are getting forward. When not in possession the half back will sit in front of the defence, acting as a defensive midfielder.

The deep-lying playmaker simply sits in front of the defence, with and without the ball acting as a playmaker i.e your players will look for him in possession and he'll have creative freedom.

Sweeper Keeper could be appropriate for either, particularly if you're playing a higher defensive line.

In order to understand the Half-Back role, think Busquets.

There's a mechanism which makes the Half Back drop between the two centre backs when in possession creating a passing outlet when building from deep. This creates a back 3 so you'll want to make sure your fullbacks are getting forward. When not in possession the half back will sit in front of the defence, acting as a defensive midfielder.

The deep-lying playmaker simply sits in front of the defence, with and without the ball acting as a playmaker i.e your players will look for him in possession and he'll have creative freedom.

Sweeper Keeper could be appropriate for either, particularly if you're playing a higher defensive line.

Would this mean that you will have two players sitting in front of defence because the half back sits in front of defence when you are not in possession and the deep lying playmaker sits in front of the defence also. So when you are not in possession it means that there will be two players sitting in front of the defence is this correct Ozil.

Would this mean that you will have two players sitting in front of defence because the half back sits in front of defence when you are not in possession and the deep lying playmaker sits in front of the defence also. So when you are not in possession it means that there will be two players sitting in front of the defence is this correct Ozil.

If you were to play a Half-Back and a DLP at the same time then, yes. You would have two players sitting in front of the defence when the opposition are in possession. One dropping back when you have the ball.

SO how HB is suppposed to be? being as deep as DC all the time? I believe HB works like what it is intended to be. Ppl just keep misunderstanding this role.

These are, some traits possessed by HB

- All DM roles are actually capable to drop as deep as DC, but only HB can split both DCR n DCL to form a back 3 with both DCR n DCL positioning themselves wider than usual

- HB will act like a DC n split both DCs to wider positions only when his team is in possession

- Will always drop at DC position no matter where u put your HB. DMCL/DMCR/DMC, all the same. So using 2 HBs is useless.

- When HB is dropping deep, Wide Defender(s) will play higher than usual

- He act like a DC only when the team is still on build up phase, or still progressing around the half line

- When the team have reached its final phase or progressing near opposition's penalty box, HB will be back to his original position (DM strata) so his teammates can circulate the ball through him when needed <-- the most misunderstanding part

- As long as your team have the ball, both DCR n DCL will still stay widerno matter where the HB is

- If his team is out of possession, HB will assume his original defensive position, which is DM strata. So he will start to closing down from there, not from DC position

- This means if the team is not in possession, both DCs will assume their original defensive positions (DCR/DCL), leaving both flanks vulnerable before starting to closing down from their original position. unlike a real 3 men defence (3 DCs). That's why using a flat 4 behind a HB is more recommended.

The logic behind HB is simple. When a team is using a slow build up from behind, like barca few years ago, the risk of losing the ball inside their own half is big if the opposition use an aggresive pressure high up the pitch. Like gegenpressing for example. 1 Mistake n this team is in immediate danger. This is when busquet drop deep, as deep as both DCs, forming something similiar to back 3, with both DCL n DCR taking wider positions. This way, possession can be kept far more easily n safe. Together with the GK, they forms a wide diamond shape to circulate possession against aggressive pressing. When the team has reached attacking phase, or getting near opposition's goal, HB will be back to DM position to make it easier for his advanced teammates up ahead to find him n circulating possession. There is no point for a HB to stay at DC post when most of his teammates are swarming opposition's penalty box.

so if your team is dominating in a match, n keeping opposition team inside their own half, it is unlikely for u to see your HB drop deeper.

What are the significant differences between Half Back and Deep lying Playmaker (D) from DM strata? If I use attacking Complete Wing Backs from Full Back positions, which one would be appropriate? Also, is it appropriate using Sweeper Keeper (D) when using Half Back?

My answer is, it can be both. Depends on your whole tactic. depends on other player's roles too. So unless u explaining your tactic in a whole, the answer is both.

You should think of DLP as the "1st Pass Guy" and Half Back as the "Release the Fullbacks" guy. The whole point of the latter is to make very expansive wingbacks viable, by making the CDs move wider.

The CBs don't split as much as they should with the HB, and push forward more than the HB drops back (the overall effect similar but not exactly the same).

HB in-game is a very conservative interpretation of the role, and quite limited in its effects, but can still be useful. Just like Liberos, Inverted Wing-Backs etc.

I'm currently using half-back in my system and I truly love it. Allows wide defenders to go all-out.

When you say "wide defenders to go all-out" do you mean attacking Fullbacks/Wingbacks, or this could also be applied to Wingbacks on support?

And also, another question:

If i play in a 4123 DM Wide formation with the Half-Back, is it important that one of the midfielders comes deep to help the first phase of transition? I ask this because, with the HB going back to the defenders line, there could be a big gap between the defense and the midfield.

It really depends what your strategy is. In my attacking tactics I found a HB to be too deep, yes he would occasionally help get the ball out of defense but then was too far behind play to support the midfield due to the tempo/passing distance. If you have another player dropping to help, then your forwards might become isolated for the same reason.

I think he fits a more patient possession style of play as players offering support to help slowly move the ball forward should give lots of options and not isolate players. I think he will be a great fit for wingerless possession tactics or where wide players move central/deep such as WP-S / AP-S. With the DL and DR needed to provide attacking width so typically WB support/attack he and the DCs provide extra cover wide and the extra central presence help give options when he drops deep.

Archived