playing youth

I read somewhere where in order to get them moving up and devving you should play them in around 20 matches a season. i forget who said that. was cleon or rashidi i am pretty sure. My question is do you have to start them or just make sure they get quality time in the matches?

To get a visible match rating I do believe a player needs a minimum of 20 minutes on the pitch, as eluded to in one of your other threads if a player is under 18 then match time & match performances do not matter as the only factor in their development is the standard of training (coaches & facilities), at least this was the correct intention of the code as of this time last year. I was given this information by the player progression team (newgen & training modules) at SI last year & as I have not tested if this is how the code actually works in FM I have no evidence to suggest otherwise.

It is 15 mins to get a rating. You can bring a player on as late as, say the 77th minute and with 2 minutes of injury time it'll total 15 minutes, which will still see him get a match rating. Rather to be safe, the latest should be the 75th minute if you want it to count towards development.

It also depends on the quality of opposition. For example 20 minutes away to Barca in the la liga decider is more beneficial in terms of growth when compared to 45 minutes in a friendly at home to a bunch of Andalusian farmers 12 divisions below you.

all league games in the EPL. i would guess he is averaging around 25 mins

So putting it in an EPL example this season, 20 mins in a game such as Arsenal v Spurs or Leicester v Man City would give much more experience than 45 mins at home to Villa for example.

What comes to getting a rating - my experience says that it depends how much the player is involved in the game during those minutes. If you're busy defending in match, then attacking substitutes might have troubles to get enough touches on the ball. But overall 75' mark is a last time to send him in (take into account 2-3 injury time minutes, it's appr. 18 minutes of game time then), unless, of course, he'll be part of the goal (creates or scores) during this time.

To get a visible match rating I do believe a player needs a minimum of 20 minutes on the pitch, as eluded to in one of your other threads if a player is under 18 then match time & match performances do not matter as the only factor in their development is the standard of training (coaches & facilities), at least this was the correct intention of the code as of this time last year. I was given this information by the player progression team (newgen & training modules) at SI last year & as I have not tested if this is how the code actually works in FM I have no evidence to suggest otherwise.

I created a lower league team where all the players started off aged 14-15. Coaching and facilities were rubbish. By playing regular first team football even at lower league level the first team players made substantial CA increases, whereas back-up players who trained heavily and played U19 fixtures hardly progressed at all.

Was version was that on? The details in my post is based on the intention of the game code as described by the dev who wrote it & the QA lead who tested it.

It could be that if all the players had the same hidden attributes, CA/PA values, indentical youth/senior coaches & facilities you could have stumbled upon a bug in the system.

Was version was that on? The details in my post is based on the intention of the game code as described by the dev who wrote it & the QA lead who tested it.

It could be that if all the players had the same hidden attributes, CA/PA values, indentical youth/senior coaches & facilities you could have stumbled upon a bug in the system.

This one, FM16.

I didn't alter any facilities or attributes, hidden or otherwise, but what I did was this: for the initial starting squad I created in the pre-game editor, all players started with CA1 PA200. In subsequent seasons new intakes have retained their incoming CA (single figures so far) but I've boosted their PAs to give a chance of development. Those with poor hiddens, esp. professionalism or injury proneness tend to show up early and get banished to the reserves anyway, and then released at the end of the season.

If you were using CA1 players in your senior team that should have spelled disaster for you results or could have opened up an unexpected tester bug, basically one that the end user is highly unlikely to come across. Might add it to my list of FM experiments while I'm not working.

If you were using CA1 players in your senior team that should have spelled disaster for you results or could have opened up an unexpected tester bug, basically one that the end user is highly unlikely to come across. Might add it to my list of FM experiments while I'm not working.

I pretty much agree although do bear in mind this started at level 15 (which SI doesn't test) where the opposition CAs weren't a whole lot higher. It still shouldn't be possible to win with a squad of 14-15 year olds with extremely low physical attributes such as strength, stamina and jumping as well as the highest leadership being about 7.

English level 15 will present issues as the CA model isn't geared to work at what is essentially Sunday league standard football.

English level 15 will present issues as the CA model isn't geared to work at what is essentially Sunday league standard football.

Right, this is why I haven't created any threads or made a fuss since I realise SI aren't responsible for anything that happens below level 6 of the English pyramid. I would point out though that in the odd cup match against Level 6 opposition, with an ultra-defensive tactic, they've tended to hold their own - narrow defeats rather than massacres, so it might still be worth you setting up an experiment.

I'm not sure the 15 minutes thing is hard coded. I had a player who came on at 88 minutes, scored and got a 7.4 rating. In this context you want to bring the player on 15 minutes from time though.

As I said - shorter time might be good enough to get a rating, but in this case he needs to achieve something significant during those few minutes - a goal and assist are most common factors.

I'm not sure the 15 minutes thing is hard coded. I had a player who came on at 88 minutes, scored and got a 7.4 rating. In this context you want to bring the player on 15 minutes from time though.

That's only because he scored. An assist may count, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

Archived