FM16: The Past is the Future

Nottingham Forest

Save Details

Version: FM16

Database: 16.3

Nations Loaded: Australia, Bulgaria, England, France, Germany, Holland, Ireland, Italy, Northern Ireland, Portugal, Scotland, Spain & Wales

Divisions: All Divisions

Other Details: All Players of Cypriot Nationality Loaded

Save Background

So I've been to a number of countries and cities during my life and that is what inspired this save. I've decided that I am only able to manage football clubs/nations of cities/towns and countries that I have been to. Stop offs don't count so Calais, United Arab Emirates, Holland and Belgium aren't included. However, I have included certain nations to add a bit more realism to my save.

With that in mind, here are the clubs and nations I'll be able to manage;

Iserlohn: FC Iserlohn 46/49

Tidworth: None

Hameln: FC Preußen Hameln 07 & SG Hameln 74

Paderborn: SC Paderborn 07

Cleethorpes: Grimsby

Osnabruck: VFL Osnabruck

Berlin: Nordberliner SC, Tennis Borussia Berlin II, Tennis Borussia Berlin, FC Internationale Berlin, Berliner FC Dynamo II, Berliner FC Dynamo, SV Empor Berlin, Berliner FC Alemannia 1890, SV Tasmania Berlin, Berliner Sport-Club, Berliner Athletik-Klub 07, SD Croatia Berlin, Berlin-Köpenick Dammfeld, Viktoria 1889, Türkiyemspor Berlin, Berliner FC Preussen, SV Blau Weiss Berlin, Füchse Berlin Reinickendorf, Hertha & Hertha II

Bridlington: Bridlington Town

Hannover: Fortuna Sachsenroß Hannover, Hannoverscher SC, OSV Hannover, SV Arminia Hannover, Hannover II & Hannover

Ripon: None

Paris: Paris FC, Paris St Germain & Red Star 93

Nottingham: Nottingham Forest, Notts County, Arnold Town & Dunkirk

Mallorca: RCD Mallorca, Mallorca B & Atletico Baleares

Chatham: None

Leicester: Leicester City

London: Spurs

Huddersfield: Huddersfield Town

Halifax: FC Halifax

Melbourne: Melbourne City & Melbourne Victory

Middlesbrough: Middlesbrough

Bolton: Bolton Wanderers

Derby: Derby County

Birmingham: Aston Villa & Birmingham City

Burnley: Burnley

Bristol: Bristol City, Bristol Rovers & Bristol Manor Farm

Bournemouth: Bournemouth & Bournemouth F.C. (Poppies)

Portsmouth: Portsmouth

Cardiff: Cardiff City, Cardiff Met Uni, Cardiff Corinthians, Cardiff Grange Harlequins, Cardiff Draconians, Cardiff Hibernian & St Josephs(Cardiff)

Wigan: Wigan Athletic & Wigan Robin Park

Hull: Hull City & Hull United

Sheffield: Sheffield FC, Sheffield Wednesday & Sheffield United

Watford: Watford

Charlton: Charlton Athletic

Rotherham: Rotherham United

Wolverhampton: Wolves & Wolverhampton Casuals

National Teams: Australia, Germany, England, Bulgaria, Spain, Cyprus & France

I think I've covered all teams within FM that come under those towns/cities. If I've missed any off, then please let me know so I can include them and possibly manage them in the future.

Manager Details

I forgot to take a screenshot of my manager's profile at the start of the game but I've started down at the job centre with a Sunday League Rep and no coaching badges. With a favoured club of Nottingham Forest.

Season One

2015-16 Season

July-April

Unemployed

With no coaching badges and no experience, I wanted to get started as soon as possible. The first vacancy that met the criteria I was following was the Australian Under 23s role. The first club role I applied for was the Derby County role on the 13th October. I knew I had no chance of getting it but I felt it was worth applying. They rejected me straight away. Clyde offered me an interview without my applying for the job but as I've never been to Clyde, I rejected that straight away. The club I support was next on the list having had a torrid start to the season they sacked Dougie Freedman and I chanced my arm and applied for the job on the 24th October. By the 4th November they had made their mind up and I wasn't selected to go any further on this occasion. I finally got a response from the Australian FA on the 18th November and it wasn't me they plumped for as Steve O'Connor was given the task of taking control of their under 23s.

Going into the month of December, only 4 clubs sacked their managers. They were Berlin-Köpenick Dammfeld, Huddersfield Town, Hertha Berlin and Birmingham City. Those 4 clubs rejected me on the 12th December, 29th December, 5th January and 12th January. Moving into the new year and Aston Villa sacked Remi Garde and on the 19th January I was informed that I once again hadn't been successful with an application. The appointment of Aston Villa'snew manager, Kenny Jackett seemed to create a domino effect as the Wolves job became available on the 19th January and I gladly applied. Unfortunately Neil Warnock also fancied his chances and he was given the role on the 1st February. With Warnock leaving Rotherham, that meant they had a vacancy and I decided to chuck my name into the hat for this role. On the 16th February I was once again informed I hadn't been successful. In that time I'd re-applied for the Australian Under 23s role only to be rejected straight away, applied for the Bolton role and had Annan Athletic invite me for an interview which I kindly rejected. On the 19th February, Bolton let me know that on this occasion I hadn't been successful. Not to be deterred, a day later both Middlesbrough and Charlton sacked their managers so I applied for those roles on the 26th February. Paderborn sacked their manager on the 27th February and I applied for that role even though I knew I wouldn't get it. Middlesbrough rejected my application on the 3rd March whilst Charlton had rejected my application for their vacant role on the 5th March. Bristol Rovers sacked their manager a couple of hours after I'd been informed of my rejection from Charlton so I applied for that role. Possibly the first role I would be considered for? Nope, wrong! They decided to give Tom Curtis, their current Head of Youth Development the chance to prove himself. The Paderborn board must have been considering my application as they took until the 17th March to advise me I hadn't been successful.

Going into April I thought I'd have to wait until pre-season for a chance but then out of the blue, Bristol Rovers offered me an interview on the 4th April. I agreed to attend.

Bristol%20Rovers%20Offer%20Job%20InterviewAttended%20-%204th%20Apr%2016_zpsefruigwt.png

I didn't think I'd done enough to impress a Football League club so when the Melbourne City vacancy came up on the 9th April I applied for that as well. A day after that application, Bristol Rovers came in with an offer of a contract until the end of the 2016-17 season.

Bristol%20Rovers%20Job%20Offer%20-%2010th%20Apr%2016_zpsq206lyre.png

My list would be pretty limited.

I think I'd only be allowed Real Mallorca, Ipswich Town FC and Plymouth Argyle. :(

I was lucky that my dad was in the forces so we ended up living in Germany for a fair few years and went to Paris and stuff. Then as I've got older I've watched a number of Forest matches whilst going abroad.

bristolrovers-vb235-34848.png

Season One

2015-16 Season

April-May

Bristol Rovers

With Bristol Rovers offer on the table I was always going to accept it. In the end

I signed a deal until the end of the 2016-17 season worth £500 per week. I managed to tweak the relegation and promotion wage changes as well to 25% each.

Upon joining the club, it was clear I was going to have my hands tied for the final 5 games of the season. We face teams who are all in the lower half of the league and our final two games are against teams who are just above us and in the relegation zone. Crawley are the league's bottom side and they're all but down.

Financially the club are struggling and we're over spending in the wage budget by £3,453. This will have to be rectified during the close season if I am still in charge. Our financial status is insecure as we're in the red by £221,586. Despite this we're still expected to pass the financial fair play rules.

The club have already granted me one request in the shape of a parent club but they've rejected my request for more coaches due to the club's financial situation. The backroom staff I've inherited are ok for the job I would like them to do and most will be remaining at the club until the end of the 2016-17 season. As follows here are the staff;

Marcus Stewart(Assistant Manager) - Not the best but not the worst I could inherit. Despite being a favourite of the fans he's got Bristol City down as one of his favoured clubs so is refusing to discuss a new deal.

Tom Curtis(Head of Youth Development) - Not the best in the business and if he'd been out of contract in the summer he'd have been going. However, with our financial situation he'll remain until the end of the 2016-17 season.

Steve Yates(Coach) - Another who is here until the end of the 2016-17 season and one of the better coaches at the club. If I do remain in charge I'll probably look to try and keep him at the club for a longer period.

Stuart Naylor(Goalkeeping Coach) - Another solid coach within the club's ranks and another coach I'll be looking to extend the stay of. I'm hoping to try and persuade him to become a fitness coach as well so I can utilise his fitness coaching.

Paul Maxwell(Head Physio) - I'll allow him to see out the remainder of his contract before I look to bring in my 'own' man.

Matt Alexander(Chief Scout) - I'm hoping Matt will be able to find us some gems over the next couple of months so I can look at starting to shape my squad should I remain at the club.

Alan Walsh(Under 18s Manager) - I'm undecided whether to keep Alan at the club for next season. I guess it all depends on whether we stay up and what other options are out there.

David Buckwell(Under 18s Assistant Manager) - I don't think David will be remaining at the club next season but again it all depends on who is available and what division we're playing in.

Steve Bissix(Under 18s Physio) - If we remain in League Two that Steve will be offered a new contract as he appears to be good at his job.

Ideally I'm looking to bring in a couple more scouts and another coach. The board are definitely allowing me to do that as I have 3 spots available for scouts and 1 more spot available for a first team backroom staff member.

The squad I have inherited is quite bloated with a number of players out of contract at the end of the season and a number of players not good enough to be here. In total we have 60 players on the books although a few are out on loan. Here they are: squad 1, squad 2, squad 3 and squad 4. The 2 key players I have identified are Chris Lines and Tom Lockyer. These have been the club's transfers so far for the season.

The club has some reasonable facilities and with a bit of tlc we have the platform to better ourselves and progress. The club's current information screen looks like this. The chairman seems to be 'enjoying life at the club'. Could he be interested in selling up in the near future.

Season One

2015-16 Season

End of Season

Bristol Rovers

League

So my season would be a 5 game shootout and as mentioned previously, it would be against teams in and around us in the league. If we could manage to secure 1 or 2 wins then I'd be fairly confident that we'd stay up. In the end we managed to pick up 5 points from the remaining 15. The first game of my tenure was a match against Yeovil. I decided that I'd look to play a defensive brand of football in the hope that we could nick a goal and hold on for the win. After 60 minutes or so it was a drab affair with neither side properly threatening. As time went on I decided to become more attacking but despite this we couldn't get that all important goal as the game finished 0-0. Against Stevenage I went with the same mindset as before and it nearly cost us. Stevenage were the better side as they took the lead on the stroke of half-time. As the game went on I tried to switch things up again in hope that we'd score. It worked as Billy Bodin popped up with the equaliser on 80 minutes. Our third game was against Exeter and it was another boring affair. It was the worst game we've played so far as they were the better side and grabbed the winner through Joel Grant in the 78th minute. The final two games were against York & Dagenham & Redbridge. Both sides were below us and if we'd have beaten York then we'd have secured our safety. A slight change in mentality and teamtalk saw Chris Lines put us in dreamland as we went 1 up after 17 minutes. At half-time we were still leading and whatever I said must have had the opposite affect on the lads as Vadaine Oliver got the equaliser on 67 minutes before Russ Penn grabbed the winner for York with just two minutes to go. We were unlucky to lose but it meant that the final game of the season was the most important game of the season. We were sat 22nd whilst Dagenham & Redbridge were 23rd. A point would secure us League Two football for next season. I kept the same mentality and teamtalk for the final game of the season and it seemed to work as we raced out of the blocks. Unfortunately we just couldn't break down the door as it was still 0-0 at half-time. I kept things simple as a point would do. We still maintained our pressure and good play but Dagenham were coming into the game more. With 20 minutes to go we'd broke down the right wing and a delightful ball was put into the box. A Dagenham defender was caught undecided with what to do and unfortunately put the ball into the back of his own net which turned out to be the only goal of the game.

Bristol%20Rovers%20Remaining%20Results%202015-16%20Season_zps6olfq2ah.png

That meant for the season we finished 21st in League Two and finished 3 points ahead of Dagenham. With just 9 wins all season we're going to have to work on that for next season or else we might not be as lucky. The goals issue at either end is a problem so I'll be looking to rectify that.

Other News

The consortium talk seems to be speeding ahead so hopefully that's sorted out before I need to start making transfers and signing players. Marco Weymans' loan finished before he could even play a game under my management so we had one less attacking player for the final 5 games. We managed to bag Arsenal as a parent club so hopefully that will come in handy next season as I look to strengthen my side. Young keeper Kieran Preston was promoted to #2 and signed a new deal. George Rooney joined the club as a scout in a deal I have to say I'm rather pleased with. As Marcus Stewart has made his intentions clear, I have decided to place an advert for a new assistant manager. There's also adverts out for a new scout and under 18s coach.

Finances

Financially we're still struggling but hopefully with the pending chance of a takeover we could well be on a sounder financial footing come the start of the season.

Bristol%20Rovers%20Finances%20End%20of%20Season%202015-16_zps6qksw7sq.png

The Future

The board seem to be pleased that I've managed to secure League Two football for next season and so am I. I don't think my stock or qualifications will be good enough to bag me a better job just yet. I've already identified what areas we need to improve the squad so there could well be a number of changes over the season as I look to trim the wage budget and make us more competitive. I've got a long-term plan with the club and the aim is to be in League One within 3 years. Then from there we'd be looking to get to the Championship after 2 more seasons. Ideally when I leave the club will be a stable Championship club who is looking to get into the Premier League.

Looking forward to seeing the point when you manage D*rby C*unty! :D

As much as it pains me to say it, but if the opportunity is there and they're doing well or it's a better club than the one I'm at then I'll consider it.

This is a great idea! I remember when I went on holiday to Rhodes that I took over the closest club to them, though it didn't end well because it's was miles away so it turned into a normal save as such :p

We'll see how well it goes. My managerial track record on FM isn't the best. Only won 1 or 2 trophies over the past couple.

As much as it pains me to say it, but if the opportunity is there and they're doing well or it's a better club than the one I'm at then I'll consider it.

I used to have respect for you!

Season Two

2016-17 Season

Pre-Season

Bristol Rovers

Board, Media Expections & Other Bits

The close season has been a good one but it could have turned out much differently. Initially the board decided to reduce the club's provisional wage budget for the coming season to £28,500 per week which meant I'd have to reduce the wage budget considerably in order to bring in the players I wanted. Add into the fact there was ownership uncertainty as Nick Heggs was looking to leave the club. The takeover was on and then it was off before there was talks that it was off again as the interested man, Antonino Pulvirenti possibly didn't have the finance to take the club forward according to the then chairman, Nick Heggs. Eventually the takeover went through and the new man invested around about £100k into the club's coffers. Which was £225k less than what was initially quoted. Amongst all that the club announced a new main kit sponsorship worth £46k per year over the course of 2 years. We also had some bad news as the club's youth category dropped from 3 to 4 and the facilities were also downgraded. Later on during pre-season I've managed to get the board to agree to improve the youth facilities again.

Whilst signing players was high on my list, supplementing my backroom staff was also important. With that in mind, I placed adverts for an under 21s manager, under 18s manager, fitness coach, physio, coach and chief scout. In total we saw 4 members of my backroom staff depart. The board also sanctioned an increase in the amount of physios and coaches I was allowed. 9 members of staff joined the club and they were: Nick Hancock(Assistant Manager), Ben Davies(Coach), Carlos Cachada(Fitness Coach), Paul Rachubka(Goalkeeping Coach), Catherine O'Kane(Physio), Daniel Donachie(Physio), Brett Poate(Under 18s Manager), Isaac Osbourne(Under 18s Coach) and Tim Davies(Scout). Steve Bissix and David Buckwell have signed new deals for 2 and 1 years respectively.

Transfers & New Player Contracts

There was always going to be a large amount of transfers during the close season as the squad I inherited was classed as 'loyal'. My aim was to try and make enough changes to get the squad to become 'determined' and effectively want to fight for the shirt. Overall we saw 16 players join the club whilst 20 have departed. 1 player was a loanee who has returned to his parent club at the end of last season. Of those that departed, I can't say I'm too disappointed with any of them leaving and I think the replacements we have signed are much better. The incoming players were;

Rene Howe - The 29 year old guided Kettering to the Vanarama North with 19 goals in 34 league games. Hopefully he can repeat that form to help us up one league.

Billy Kee - The former Accrington man has had his best spells at Burton. I don't expect many goals from him but if he can chip in with 8-10 for the season I'll be happy and he'd have done his job.

Craig Clay - Signed from Grimsby in the Vanarama Conference. Hopefully the step up won't be too difficult and he can contribute similar to the 12 assists and 6 goals that he got last season.

Daniel Sparkes - At 24, Sparkes has plenty of time to improve and I'm hoping he can do that this season. He seems to be able to get goals so hopefully he can do that & contribute with assists.

David McAllister - The former Stevenage man should be playing at a higher level. Injuries hampered him last season so hopefully he can stay injury free to contribute like I know he can.

Drissa Traoré - Drissa hasn't played too many games and at 24 he really needs to. Probably going to be a back up for now but he definitely has the quality to shine.

Gerardo Bruna - The former Accrington and Liverpool trainee didn't play at all last season. He has quality and will provide a reasonable challenge for other new signing Sparkes.

Lawrence Wilson - Lawrence is more of a left midfielder than a left back. He's going to be back up left back for now.

Martin Riley - Spent last season with Tranmere in the Vanarama National as they narrowly missed out on promotion. Merely a back up for now but his experience should serve us well.

Michael Coulson - The former York man didn't have the best of seasons last year as he was only able to play 18 games. He's got the quality and knows where the net is. So hopefully he can repeat his better years.

Paul Corry - Average season for Northampton last season but the quality is there. If he can kick on a little bit we'll have a gem of a player.

Rhys Taylor - Spent last season on loan at Wrexham where he didn't have the best of times. He's only going to be here as a back up option but he's good enough to be first choice.

Seth Nana Twumasi - Seth didn't play as much last season due to Danny Holmes being in his way. I was looking at Danny as well but Seth seemed like the better option.

Steve Jennings - At 31 time is ticking but he could be the pivotal cog within our midfield. If he can keep things moving then our strikers and wingers could have fun.

Terry Gornell - Another former Accrington man and with 9 in 30 last year, I'm hoping he can do the same for us.

Troy Archibald-Henville - Troy had a tough time through injuries last season but he has the ability to make a difference. He'll start out as 3rd choice to begin with but his quality will no doubt show throughout the season.

We also renewed a number of key players from last season to new contracts with most being on lesser terms. The players we've tied down to new deals are Chris Lines, James Clarke, Lee Brown, Jay Malpas, Ollie Clarke, Tom Parkes and a few youngsters.

Friendlies

The aim of pre-season was to try to get the players as effective as possible within the structure and formation that I would like to play. That had been tweaked slightly again from the end of the season but it was still a 4-3-2-1(wingers) formation. We played 7 friendlies in total with one against Arsenal Under 21s and the rest against so called 'lesser teams'. Despite the 2 defeats, I can't complain with how productive they have been.

mFKxW5Z.png

Sky Bet League Two: Avoid relegation battle

Media Prediction: 22nd (Last season 18th)

Title Odds: 40-1

FA Cup: Second Round

Capital One Cup: First Round

Johnstone's PT: First Round

Season Ticket Sales: 2,691 (Last season 2,700)

Finances: £506,851 (Last season -£235,843)

Wage Budget: £23,587 (Last season £31,975. £4,361 remaining)

Season Two

2016-17 Season

August-December

Bristol Rovers

League

Our first game of the season was against newly promoted Forest Green Rovers and what a way to start. New signing Rene Howe put us 1 up after just 12 minutes before Michael Coulson doubled our lead after 19 minutes. Howe decided he'd add the third just a minute later as we raced into a 3-0 lead after 20. Forest Green didn't have a shot until the 28th minute but that seemed to spur them on slightly as they pulled one back shortly after. Craig Clay made it a third debutant goal as he restored the 3 goal advantage on 39. During the second half the game faded slightly but we were always in control and Coulson grabbed his second with 15 minutes to go. Forest Green grabbed their second late on but it had no effect on the outcome of the game. It's also worth nothing that Coulson had two goals disallowed. Our first home game of the season was against Notts County. Gerardo Bruna put us 1 up after 8 minutes and it's another game we bossed. County struggled to get any rhythm going and whilst we continued to threaten their goal we couldn't find the second. As these things go, they equalised with 5 minutes to go to grab a 1-1 draw. Against York City we lost 2-1 before another draw and win followed against Burton Albion & Exeter City. Northampton Town were the next visitors to the Memorial Stadium as they looked to overturn a 12 point deduction for entering administration. They nearly came out of it with a point but left winger Daniel Sparkes popped up with a header into the far corner in stoppage time having only just come on 7 minutes prior. A 4 game winless streak followed as we lost to Carlisle United and Fleetwood Town along with picking up draws against Leyton Orient and Boreham Wood. A few tweaks here and then followed by a few discussions saw us claim 9 points from the next 3 games. Inconsistency struck again as we failed to win any of the next 6 league games. Going into the Christmas period a few more tweaks and discussions saw us pick up 3 wins from 3 to end the year on a high note.

8KNzR2A.png

Despite our inconsistent form we've still managed to keep in check with the play-offs and if we can have a good second half to the season then we may well sneak into them.

GUwcnfl.png

FA Cup

We had a solid first round win against Tranmere Rovers before we were embarrassed by Luton Town 5-1 at their place. Whilst I'm not too fussed about us progressing, I'm extremely disappointed with the manner of the loss.

RXExWV3.png

Capital One Cup

With a first round tie away to West Brom, I never expected to get that far and considering I changed all 11 players, a 4-0 defeat is acceptable.

Z7EvuwV.png

Johnstone's Paint Trophy

Another competition the board aren't bothered with and another that I'll happily sacrifice in order for a solid league campaign. That side again, Luton Town knocked us out penalties despite us leading 2-0. Again I swapped 11 players and due to the competition rules, we picked up a £5k fine.

VvGChcn.png

zpPWHcL.png

Star Players

Over the first half of the season there have been 3 players who have made a major difference to the club. They are;

Rene Howe - 14 goals in 21 games in all competitions. Has also managed to bag 3 assists as well.

Craig Clay - Probably the star man to be honest and the impact he's had has been better than I thought it would. 2 goals and 5 assists from 22 games doesn't seem like a good return but he offers so much more than that with his contributions all over the field. Especially his passing.

Michael Coulson - I knew Coulson would chip in with goals if he had the right service and he hasn't let me down as he's managed to grab 14 goals from 24 games.

Finances

The finances have dropped slightly but we're still in a stable condition.

X9wKMPr.png

Other News

We managed to secure Lee Hunt as our new under 21s manager. The board have allowed me to take my national C licence. Due to my good wage management skills, the board up the transfer revenue retained percentage. Unfortunately a number of players have expressed their disappointment at the lack of first team football they're getting. So We could well see a few player depart in January.

Great idea for a save NF. Will follow this with interest. Doing well so far this season, hopefully you can push on for play-offs but at least it's a big turnaround from almost being relegated. Fantastic turnaround :)

That will be the five grand fine.

I see comedy is still your strong point Nobby :D.

Great idea for a save NF. Will follow this with interest. Doing well so far this season, hopefully you can push on for play-offs but at least it's a big turnaround from almost being relegated. Fantastic turnaround :)

Cheers JD. Yeah, if we do get into the play-offs then we've far exceeded my expectations. I have a 3 year plan to get out of League Two so that is still the aim.

Season Two

2016-17 Season

January-May

Bristol Rovers

Going into the new year it was all about maintaining our good start to the season and carrying it on so that we could consolidate our place in League Two. I have a 3 year plan which was consolidation, top half/play-off finish and then promotion. Or something like that anyway. Either way, if we achieved anything other than a mid-table finish, that would be acceptable.

League

We started off with a 2-1 victory away to Accrington Stanley and this was followed up with a good 2-2 draw against Mansfield Town. Tiredness possibly got the better of us against Notts County as we succumbed to a 2-1 defeat at Meadow Lane. After the defeat against Notts County I thought we'd suddenly drop off form but I was proven wrong as we managed to string together an 8 match unbeaten run which included 6 wins. Those victories were against teams in and around us in the promotion hunt and a lot of it was down to new signing Simeon Jackson. Simeon ended up grabbing 5 goals and numerous assists as he was helped by Michael Coulson and Craig Clay. The two defeats against Hartlepool United and Yeovil Town shouldn't have happened as they were languishing in the lower half of the table and despite us being the better side we just couldn't get the results needed. In our next 3 matches against Wycombe Wanderers, Newport County and Southend United we managed to pick up 7 points from a possible 9. It should have been 9 from 9 as we battered Newport as they scored a late goal. In what was probably one of our worst performances of the season we struggled to contain Jimmy Spencer as Cambridge United smashed us 4-1. Against Stevenage neither side really got going and I'd have to say a point was reasonable considering how much a point made a difference to the league table. Against Morecambe we got back to winning ways with an entertaining 4-3 victory as Simeon Jackson and Michael Coulson both found some form again. I'd rather forget the Luton Town result as they've completely bossed us in the majority of our games this season. A 3-1 defeat meant we slipped up again. Struggling Blackpool visited The Memorial Stadium next as Craig Clay put us into an early lead before Blackpool levelled things up again. Luckily for us Simeon Jackson popped up late on to grab the winner. Against Barnet we were always in control as we secured a vital 3-1 victory to edge us closer to a play-off spot. Our final home game of the season against Accrington Stanley saw the magnificent trio of Craig Clay, Michael Coulson and Simeon Jackson all score as we secured our play-off place and moved into 3rd place.

The final automatic promotion spot was between Luton Town and ourselves. A win for us and we didn't have to worry about their result. A draw and we could well miss out if they'd have won due to our inferior goal difference. We had to play title chasing Mansfield Town at Field Mill. Meanwhile Luton Town travelled to Barnet. I had my eye on the Luton game from the start and neither side took an early lead. Our game was edgy as you could tell both sides had something to play for. New filtered through that Barnet had taken a 26th minute lead through David Foley. Just 3 minutes later Craig Mackail-Smith had levelled things for Luton. No one had broken the deadlock between Mansfield and us when 5 minutes before half-time we had another report that Foley had grabbed his second to put Barnet back in front. Mansfield were slowly starting to gain more dominance in our match but despite this they weren't carving out many clear chances. 1 minute into stoppage time and Mal Benning turned to unleash a long range effort into the bottom corner to put the home side in front. At half-time I tried to encourage the players and whether it worked or not I don't know. As the second half went on I decided to make a few changes in order to go for it. Knowing that we had nothing to lose. Despite us trying and trying we were never able to grab the equaliser and I was growing concerned that Luton might grab an equaliser of their own. Luckily that didn't happen and well.............

Bristol Rovers are promoted to the Sky Bet League One!

4FUjMwg.png

I9toKu8.png

We managed to secure the final automatic promotion spot as we managed to gain 44 points from the final 24 games.

BS1UlrH.png

Blackpool and Northampton Town were the 2 sides to get relegated. Northampton had been given a 12 point deduction before the start of the season for going into administration.

Transfers

Going into January there was a potential that we'd be looking to bring in some new players as some of our fringe players weren't happy with their lack of first team football. We actually signed two players in the end and only one of them was in January as the other was a short term loan in February. The new signing was Simeon Jackson who had been a free agent for a while. Despite his wages being more than I'd normally pay and his agent requesting a fee that I'd normally not pay, I felt he was worth the outlay. The other player was central defender Joe Coveney from Manchester City when I lost 2 of my 4 centre halves to injuries. Joe didn't actually play a game and featured on the bench a couple of times. 4 fringe players and 1 youth player departed the club between January and February.

Youth Candidates

I am a big believer in youth and it's a shame that there aren't many reasonable youth prospects at the club. I was hoping that would change during this seasons youth candidates intake. Unfortunately we didn't get many high potential players.

TEy9Sbf.png

The 2 that have been offered contracts to join the club's youth ranks are Stephen Monelle and Josh Mustoe.

Star Players

Over the second half of the season there have been three players who have made key contributions to the club and our progress. 2 of them were excellent over the first half of the season and one of them was a new signing. The players in question were;

Craig Clay - A serious contender for the League Two player of the season. I'm not sure what Grimsby Town were playing at when they let him go but he's definitely got some ability. Craig has managed to grab 6 goals and 7 assists from 41 games in the attacking central midfield spot. Has also finished with an average rating of 7.83 which is the highest in the division.

Simeon Jackson - To hit the ground running like he has is nothing short of remarkable. Displacing Rene Howe from the word go and justifying my decision with 10 goals and 6 assists from 19 appearances.

Michael Coulson - 25 goals in 45 games is a great return for a striker. However, for a winger it's amazing. He's grabbed us out of tough places at times with his ability to finish. Has also contributed with 6 assists as well for good measure.

Finances

Most lower league football clubs don't make much money, if any. We're no different as our finances have taken a nosedive since turn of the year. Hopefully with the promotion and potential increase in gates we can slowly start to see it rise again.

9O8Lmar.png

Other News

Due to the club finishing 3rd in League Two we were given £5k. A number of players and staff have signed new contracts. They are Tom Lockyer, Steve Yates, George Rooney, Carlos Cachada and Craig Clay. Carlos was actually approached by a Portuguese club and I managed to persuade him to reject them through a quick chat. I then offered him a new contract. Craig's agent decided to kick up a stink and I rejected. I tried to get him to sack his agent but he refused and wasn't happy that he wasn't going to be offered a new deal so I caved in and offered him one. The board agreed to increase the number of coaches and physios we could have so that meant former Ipswich Town and Newcastle United midfielder, Darren Ambrose joined as coach and Charlotte Skidmore joined as a physio. Towards the end of March we had a couple of incidents where a few players were unhappy with my management skills. I have no idea why and whilst I managed to please a few players, others wouldn't change their minds. This meant first choice keeper, Andreas Arestidou was banished to the under 21s. He did make a return for the last few games when Rhys Taylor picked up an injury. The board looked for another parent club but the options they provided weren't better than Arsenal so I rejected them. The board tried twice to enter contract discussions with me on the 30th March and 30th April but I rejected as I didn't want it to distract our promotion campaign. Over the course of the season I picked up the manager of the month award for December, February and April. I finally completed my National C Licence on the 22nd April and requested to go on a new course which the board rejected.

Yeah I've been to Tidworth :D. Lived there for a couple of years from about 1 till I was about 3/4. I think I've just thought of another team I could be. Grimsby as I've been to Cleethorpes.

You will know Middle Wallop then. I lived there.

Career Summary

Season Team League Position Achievements Notes
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2015/16 Bristol Rovers League Two 21st None Took over on April 10th.
2016/17 Bristol Rovers League Two 3rd Promoted

Season Three

2017-18 Season

Pre-Season

Bristol Rovers

After last seasons shock promotion, this season was all about consolidating our place in League One and not making an instant return to League Two. For my success last season I was named

League Two Manager of the Year. The board decided once again to cancel the youth facilities expansion due to a lack of funds but our youth setup remained the same. A few good things to happen over the course of pre-season was the board agreeing to and successfully relaying the pitch whilst increasing our scouting range. They also agreed to increase our junior coaching budget. The board rejected by request for further scouts as they decided we didn't need them. Despite this, I was still able to put new adverts out for a chief scout, head physio, head of youth development, scout and under 18s assistant manager. We also received £525k from the solidarity scheme.

There was only 3 staff departures over this pre-season whilst we've signed Danny Wring(Scout), Garry Thompson(HoYD), Luke Anthony(Head Physio) and Mark Molesley(Chief Scout). Brett Poate, Isaac Osbourne, Lee Hunt and Nick Haycock have all signed new deals.

Much like last pre-season there was always going to be a number of changes to the playing squad due to certain players not being good enough to step up or being unhappy from the previous season about their lack of first team football. In total we saw 9 players join the club and 17 players depart. Of the 17 that departed, one was paid off(Seth Nana Twumasi) and 3 are youngsters going out on loan. Of the players we've seen join the club, we're still in the market for one or two more players to give us enough depth. I have to say that I'm not disappointed with any of the players who have departed and once again I'm delighted with the signings that we have made. The incoming players are;

Danny Green - The former Luton man is nothing more than a backup signing for Michael Coulson. He hasn't played much football over the past couple of seasons but hopefully he'll be a reasonable addition to the squad.

David Ball - The former Fleetwood Town man has been signed to provide us with another option. Again he's nothing more than a backup and if we can get 7 or 8 goals out of him it'll be a success.

Harry Davis - The past couple of seasons our defence has been a little shaky and I'm hoping this man can solve some of that. He has experience in this division with Crewe Alexandra so I'm hoping he can use that in order to make us more solid at the back.

James Constable - The former Eastleigh man has got 20+ goals in his past two seasons. It's a big step up from non-league to League One at 32 but I'm hoping his experience will prove vital and hopefully he'll be able to get a reasonable return.

Marco Weymans - The Belgian youngster was here on a short term loan when I first arrived and he didn't do too badly. The lack of reasonable options has meant I've swooped to bring him back on a season loan.

Matthew Briggs - The former Fulham trainee is exactly what we're looking for to provide good competition to Lee Brown. Will initially be a backup option to Brown but with the nature of this league he'll get his fair share of game time.

Richard Brindley - Brindley has been signed as a backup option to James Clarke and that's how it'll remain. A good option to have though.

Terry Kennedy - The former Sheffield United player comes with reasonable experience. He's a great option to have and along with Lockyer, Parkes and Davis we have four good central defenders.

Tom Soares - Tom has a wealth of experience and has been plying his trade in this division for the past couple of seasons. With his experience he can hopefully use that to help us kick on and stay out of the relegation fight.

Andreas Arestidou has signed a new deal despite me not wanting to offer him one. His antics last season weren't acceptable but due to my first choice option Dean Brill returning to his former club Luton and no other reasonable targets being affordable, he has a chance to redeem himself. He will start the season as second choice.

Friendlies

Much like last season the pre-season games were about game time for the players in order to build their match fitness up. I'm happy with the results we've got and how we've played.

8UPscgI.png

Sky Bet League One: Fight bravely against relegation

Media Prediction: 24th (Last season 22nd in League Two)

Title Odds: 150-1

FA Cup: Second Round

Capital One Cup: First Round

Johnstone's PT: Second Round

Season Ticket Sales: 3,152 (Last season 2,691. Up 461)

Finances: £974,574

Transfer Budget: £54,680 (£33,017 remaining)

Wage Budget: £38,000 (Spending £28,581.)

Season Three

2017-18 Season

August-December

Bristol Rovers

League

The start to our League One campaign could have been great or bad. 3 home games to start things off and we'd either be off to a flyer or struggling. Swindon Town were out first visitors as we lost 3-2. We took the lead after 22 minutes through Michael Coulson before Simeon Jackson grabbed our second after their 1st. During the second half they levelled and despite it being an even game, they kicked on a grabbed a late winner. Against Rochdale we completely played them off the park Simeon Jackson and Harry Davis put us 2 up before half-time. Michael Coulson grabbed the 3rd shortly after the restart. Bradford City were next to the Memorial Stadium and neither side got going as the game finished 0-0. The next 15 games pretty much summed up how poor in quality we were as we only picked up 1 win and 5 points from those games. Some of the games we just didn't turn up and others we were unluckily beaten. However, it meant that we were now staring at a relegation battle and struggling to get out of it. A win against Charlton Athletic followed by a good point against Port Vale gave me some hope. Unfortunately that hope was short lived as 2 more defeats followed against Scunthorpe United and Swindon Town.

LEF5BLO.png

Our form meant that we're currently sat in 23rd place in the league table and looking like it'll be an immediate return to League Two.

kN6c4oL.png

FA Cup

In the FA Cup we drew non league Macclesfield Town and beat them 2-1 with 2 goals from Daniel Sparkes. Divisional rivals Preston North End were our next opponents as we took them to a replay before being beaten.

itzTUMN.png

Capital One Cup

In the Capital One Cup we were easily beaten by Oxford United.

df5bMox.png

Johnstone's Paint Tropy

In the Johnstone's Paint Trophy we didn't turn up as League Two Exeter City hammered us 4-0.

swwrtZP.png

Star Players

With our form being so dreadful and us not doing too well, it's difficult to select too many star players. However, Craig Clay has once again been excellent.

Finances

I forgot to take a finances screenshot but we're down to about £600,000.

Other News

James Dunne and Dexter Blackstock have both joined the playing staff whilst Matthew Trevett has joined as a new scout due to the board increasing our scout allowance. They've also increased the coaches and physios allowance as well. Gary Jones also joined as under 18s assistant manager. We've twice broke the gate receipts record with the latest coming against Preston North End in the FA Cup. The board tried and failed to find another parent club but they did increase the wage budget, agree to youth facilities and training facilities upgrades. They've also agreed to allow me to study for my national B licence.

Job Applications

Due to our bad form I've been casting my eye over other jobs and I've applied for the vacant roles at Birmingham City, Hull City, Charlton Athletic, Bristol City, Atletico Baleares and England under 21s. Unfortunately they have rejected my applications. I also expressed an interest in the Paris FC role only to be laughed off.

Season Three

2017-18 Season

Resignation

Bristol Rovers

So with our form not picking up and me not getting anything out of the squad, I felt it was time to resign from my position at the club in the hope that I would give them a fighting chance of staying up.

sXtcirn.png

My record at Bristol Rovers.

iJfWNYo.png

Not a bad record but ultimately ruined by the bad 6 months in League One.

Season Three

2017-18 Season

December-April

With my resignation finally setting in, I felt I had to get back on the wagon as soon as possible. With that in mind I applied for any team that met the criteria. Between December and April I applied for the managerial vacancies at Aston Villa, VFL Osnabrück, Huddersfield Town, Sheffield Wednesday and Wolves. From those, the only side that gave me an interview was Sheffield Wednesday. Unfortunately they rejected me on the 2nd April. Eastleigh offered me a job interview on the 8th February but I rejected that as I've never been to Eastleigh.

Just a couple of hours later and I applied for the Middlesbrough role and on the 6th April, I applied for the Bristol City role again after they sacked Frank Lampard. On the 17th April, Bristol City offered me an interview whilst Boro followed suit on the 20th April.

CrZNFum.png

og7eMOX.png

I must have impressed as on the 21st April, Bristol City asked whether there was any backroom staff changes that I'd like to make. There was no changes which meant on the 22nd April I received their initial offer.

m1OKGcF.png

With the Boro job still open and no come back from that yet I requested a week delay to think things over just in case that job was offered to me.

GNVuCWt.png

Just a day later and the Boro board requested me to make changes to the backroom staff.

plfTl5v.png

With my requests made, an initial contract offer was made.

EJWZoiy.png

After some negotiations we came to a reasonable agreement which saw me put pen to paper on a one year deal.

gGa9OhH.png

A Forest fan at Bristol Rovers. Perfect storm of hatred from us Notts fans for that combination!

Cracking move to Boro though, best of luck :thup:

Haha, I nearly made the cross city divide. I wonder how that would have gone down.

I've landed on my feet at Boro so to speak. 2 mid-table finishes and on course for a 3rd. However, big club and big expectations so I'll need to hit the ground running.

Boooooo Bristol Rovers. :(

Can't believe I missed this thread!

I used to go to school in Ripon so pleased you have been there! My list of eligible clubs would be pretty good I think, more than you in this country, though considerably less abroad.

I loved my time at Bristol Rovers and if we'd have been performing slighting better then I'd have stayed. However, we were shocking. I built my side on determination for the promotion season and I can't help but think that is what took us up.

Only been once to visit friends. Not sure what teams are within Ripon though which is a shame.

If Cyprus was a playable country then there would be more teams. As there would if I'd have started with the EEE update as well. Unfortunately edited databases bring issues of a new nature.

I'd like to build something at Boro tbh, hopefully a dynasty before helping other sides.

Middlesbrough_crest.png

Season Three

2017-18 Season

April-May

Middlesbrough

Somehow I've managed to get the Boro job. I'm not sure how but I'm not complaining. The club have finished 15th in the past two seasons and we're on course to replicate that again this season. Although we have just 2 games left. Upon joining the club we have the following players at our disposal;

squad 1, squad 2 and squad 3. Ben Gibson, Jordan Rhodes and Harry Chapman look like they're going to be key players but on a whole, the squad we have should be doing better than they are. Previous managers appear to have had fetishes for 1st choice keepers as we have 4 keepers who are good enough to stake a place for the first team. We lack cover at left back so I'll be looking to address that. A number of players are also unhappy with their lack of playing time under the previous regime so that is something I'll have to fix.

Four members of staff have left as part of my appointment and they are fitness coaches Bryan English, Peter Hood and Colin Clancy and chief scout Gary Gill. As much as I love fitness coaches, 5 is too many for the time being. One of the members of staff who remained was Jim Melrose who is the club's director of football. As part of me getting the job, he's required to remain in his job for the foreseeable future. The remaining members of staff are Steve Agnew(Assistant Manager), Michael Carrick(HoYD), Adam Kerr(Fitness Coach), Nick Grantham(Fitness Coach), Chris Moseley(Head Physio), Paul Jenkins(Under 21s Manager), Graeme Lee(Under 21s Coach), Chris Pennock(Under 21s Goalkeeping Coach), Craig Liddle(Under 18s Manager), Mark Tinkler(Under 18s Coach), Simon Hood(Under 18s Goalkeeping Coach), Adam Reed(Under 18s Physio), Christopher Rusling(Under 18s Physio), Trevor Langford(Under 18s Physio), Bobby Winkelman(Scout), Martin Carter(Scout), Peter Bulmer(Scout) and Phillip Hudson(Scout).

Financially the club aren't in a strong position as we're just under £1.5m in the red.

Oxx3OD1.png

In terms of budgets, we're currently over spending in the wages but we have rather decent kitty left in transfers.

JI4cSs9.png

In terms of facilities and information, we're in a strong position to build.

In my Frome Town save, I got them to the Championship at the time of writing and Harry Chapman has been a beast for me for two seasons as I loaned him from Boro. They wouldn't loan him a third season though and he is getting his chance in the Premier League with them. He will do well for you. :thup:

Haha, I nearly made the cross city divide. I wonder how that would have gone down.

I've landed on my feet at Boro so to speak. 2 mid-table finishes and on course for a 3rd. However, big club and big expectations.

A Forest fan at Notts - no big deal. A Forest fan who is ex Bristol Rovers manager - a problem of Jamie Fullarton like proportions!

Middlesbrough_crest.png

Season Three

2017-18 Season

End of Season

Middlesbrough

League

With only the 2 games left in the season I wasn't really too fussed with how it ended. All I wanted to do was get to pre-season so I could start to shape the squad to my liking. Our first game was against Millwall at The Den. Neither side really got going and a late goal from the home side gave me my first defeat as Boro boss. The Reading match had a bit more riding on it as they occupied the final automatic promotion spot. If we won or drew, then Nottingham Forest, should they have won, would have been promoted to the Premier League. A drab 0-0 saw Reading fall to 3rd as Forest were promoted.

V5uWRPN.png

The two draws meant that we finished the season in 17th place, just 6 points above the relegation places.

KgNzeKj.png

Other News

A number of adverts went out for roles within the club for assistant manager, coach, goalkeeping coach, physio, chief scout, scout, under 18s coach, under 18s assistant manager and under 21s assistant manager. Adam Kerr, Adam Reed, Chris Pennock, Christopher Rusling, Craig Liddle, Mark Tinkler, Graeme Lee, Simon Hood and Trevor Langford all signed new deals. The board agreed to increase staffing levels for coaches and physios. 5 members of staff joined the club with a few being familiar faces. Incoming were Barry Heffernan(New Physio), Daniel Donachie(New Physio), Isaac Osbourne(New Under 18s Coach), Mark Moseley(New Scout) and Stephen Pears(New Goalkeeping Coach). Our finances were still in a bad situation so the chairman pumped in some of his own money to help us out. Our youth category remained to same after the audit.

The board have announced next season's provisional budgets.

h3N4oIq.png

I have to say that £400k and £4.38m is generous for a club who have been languishing in the lower reaches of mid-table for the past 3 seasons. I do believe that with the budget we have, and the players who are available, we should be able to build a strong squad to finish in the top half next season.

Career Summary

Season Team League Position Achievements Notes
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2015/16 Bristol Rovers League Two 21st None Took over on April 10th.
2016/17 Bristol Rovers League Two 3rd Promoted
2017/18 Bristol Rovers League One 23rd None Resigned on 23rd December.
2017/18 Middlesbrough Championship 17th None Took over on 24th April.

Middlesbrough_crest.png

Season Four

2018-19 Season

Pre-Season

Middlesbrough

So my first full pre-season at Boro had arrived and I was raring to go. The board had backed me well as they've agreed to increase the junior coaching budget along with agreeing to some planned training facility upgrades. We picked up £5.25m from the solidarity payment scheme whilst the board also agreed to send me on a coaching course to study for my national A licence.

The was only one staff departure from my backroom staff over the summer and that was in the shape of assistant manager Steve Agnew. Unfortunately being on £6k per week and wanting a rise to £8k per week is too much and not something I'm going to agree to. Replacing him is my assistant from Bristol Rovers, Nick Hancock. The Bristol Rovers reunion continued as Ben Davies and Darren Ambrose both joined as coaches. The third new coach for the first team was Richie Kyle from Blackpool. Supporter, Neal Bishop joined as the club's under 21s assistant manager and former England international, Joe Cole became the club's under 18s assistant manager. Martin Carter signed a new deal to remain as one of my scouts.

Sky Bet Championship: Top-half

Media Prediction: 12th (Last season 14th)

Title Odds: 40-1

FA Cup: Fourth Round

Capital One Cup: Third Round

Season Ticket Sales: 14,588 (Last season 14,774 - Down 186)

Finances: £17,262,858

Transfer Budget: £4.38m (£3,553,069 remaining)

Wage Budget: £405,499 (£89,607 remaining)

I didn't envisage making too many signings over the summer as I looked to streamline the squad. I was right in thinking that as 9 players joined the club. I'll start with the departures first as we saw 45 players leave the club permanently or on loan(here and here). Simon Moore, Michael Agazzi, Arnel Jakupovic, Adam Reach and David Nugent were no longer needed. Christian Stuani requested to leave, as did Marcus Bettinelli so I granted them their request. Lewis Dunk, Carlos de Pena, Julian de Sart, Patrick Olsen, Elvis Manu and Chris Forrester had been moaning about their lack of first team football and I didn't think I could grant them enough. Nathan Thompson was going to be a good back up for many positions within the squad but when Wolves offered upto £1.3m for him, it made sense to sell. Callum Lake, Tony Douglas, Junior Mondal, Callum Cooke, Nathan Convery, Bobby Race, Alan Skinner, Tony Richardson and Jay Atkinson are all reasonable prospects who need game time before they're ready to possibly push for a first team spot here.

The incoming transfers were;

Craig Clay - He was incredible for me at Bristol Rovers and as soon as I left I was keeping an eye on him. John Coleman, the new Bristol Rovers manager transfer listed him as soon as he joined so it was a no brainer to bring him in for £80k and £1.5k per week. He'll start the season as one of my first choices in my 3 man central midfield.

Jamal Blackman - Jamal is nothing more than a backup. He's on loan from parent club Chelsea with them paying all of his wages. I doubt he'll displace Randolph. Has only played 7 games in his career so match sharpness and experience could be an issue. He's been here before though so that is an added bonus.

Luke Freeman - Despite Bristol City getting relegated, Freeman was still happy to remain. I decided to be cheeky and offered £1.5m which was less than his market value. They accepted so he's on his way to the Riverside. Will initially start the season as first choice left winger.

Matty James - The former Manchester United youngster hasn't had the best couple of years at Leicester City. Available on a free, that didn't stop me from identifying him as one of my main targets. He'll be more of a rotation player to start off with but he's quality will show through in a tough league campaign.

Nouha Dicko - The former Wolves man hasn't had the best of times over the past few seasons but he's exactly what I'm looking for. He can chip in with goals and will provide a great option should anything happen to Jordan Rhodes.

Paddy Madden - Probably one of the most exciting signings of the summer. Not overly highly rated by my staff but he scores goals. Has bagged 70 in 140 league appearances for Scunthorpe United over the past 3 seasons including 30 last as they reached the play-off final. Will again be nothing more than a backup but I believe I have 2 of the best goalscorers in the league in him and Rhodes.

Sean Kavanagh - Sean was released by Fulham last season after making just 7 appearances for them over the past couple of seasons. He had 2 loan spells though where he's made 59 appearances. He's a backup to George Friend and nothing more. He's cheap, cheerful and fits in well with the squad.

Tom Lockyer - Another player from my former club Bristol Rovers. Was my captain during my time there and always performed well for me. Initially Bristol Rovers were wanting £500k for him which is too much. I set my director of football on to it and he managed to snap him up for £240k.

Yasir Kasim - Another cracking player for this level. Swansea had signed him for £2.3m the season before but he only went on to make 7 appearances. Having found himself transfer listed it was a no brainer to bring him to the club for £700k.

George Friend and Jordan Rhodes both signed new deals. I'm delighted that both have decided to stay as they're both pivotal to any success we have for the coming season.

Friendlies

11 friendlies and 11 great runouts. Some tough results in there but I'm pleased with how the lads have done.

r5OdVcw.png

Madden is a really good player, as is Freeman. It's whether we're good enough for them. The Championship seems to have got tougher as there are now 7/8 ex PL clubs in there all with more money than us.

Probably more as there were 16 of them last season in your league.

:D

Archived