+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rory Delap long throw-ins

Amateur

Default Rory Delap long throw-ins

Can these be replicated in FM?

I'm watching the Stoke vs Everton game on Sky Sports, and it struck me that Delap's throw-ins add a whole different aspect to the game.

Third Team
    Lead Writer for http://footydiary.wordpress.com/

Default Re: Rory Delap long throw-ins

i would like to know from someone at SI how far someone with 20 for long throws can throw the ball.

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by FM_returner View Post

I'm watching the Stoke vs Everton game on Sky Sports, and it struck me that Delap's throw-ins add a whole different aspect to the game.
    Yeah I'm watchin the same game mate and i was wonderin this i'm also playin FM as i watch but i can't really see how to make it work in the game,
    but with 2 goals from 2 Delap throw-ins i want to be able to do that ha ha

Portsmouth Researcher

Why dont you guys try it yourself....

First Team
    Wishing Brendan Rodgers had been this good in 2010

Greg Halford's throws>>>>>>>Rory Delap's throws.

Reserves

challinor > * for long throws.

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by Sheer Class View Post
    Why dont you guys try it yourself....
    I'm not managaing Rory Delap on my game, so I thought I'd ask to see if anyone knew.

Amateur

In Sweden several teams use similar long throws-tactics to good effect, should have a bigger impact in the game IMO

Amateur

Haha, that match as awesome =P.

First Team Squad Member

That is the only way Stoke are going to have a chance of staying up as they can't play football to save their life. So in FM09 that's all Stoke should play for, they should try and play it off players legs to get throw-ins. It might not be pretty but it would make it more realistic.

Amateur

Do players with high long-throw values in the game do throws like that?

Amateur

Anyone see the Lee Dixon throw in on MOTD2 just now?

Comedy.

First Team Squad Member

They do have good throws in the game but nothing extradionary.

First Team Squad Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ahujj View Post
    Anyone see the Lee Dixon throw in on MOTD2 just now?

Comedy.
    Yeah I saw that lol

Steve Watsons was funny aswell.

Amateur

Onyewu has 20.

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by TomHAVFC View Post
    That is the only way Stoke are going to have a chance of staying up as they can't play football to save their life. So in FM09 that's all Stoke should play for, they should try and play it off players legs to get throw-ins. It might not be pretty but it would make it more realistic.
    You are wrong actually, they can play decent football especially with that Ricardo Fuller. Liam Lawrence gives them excellent width and passing ability, it's a shame they didn't get Jermaine Pennant, he could be really prolific in a Stoke side.

The problem with Stoke is that they can't defend very well at all. Today for instance, Everton took their time around the box and even managed to make four passes just in the box without any movement from the three players involved. They also suck at defending set pieces, I expect them to lose a lot last minute goals because of this, the goal they conceded from a set piece was almost laughable. I reckon signing someone like Sami Hypia could really make big difference for them.

Amateur

We've gone a little off topic here.

Anyone seen them in the game?

Amateur

they played some great football three weeks ago when they beat Aston Villa.

But i have a player in my squad with 20 for long throws, and he gets it past the edge of the 6 yard area.

Part-Timer
    In a virtual world as a FM manager or a soldier on CoD

i remember they used to do em in fm05, they worked well with some1 like freddy guarin

Semi Pro
    Newcastle upon Tyne (lurking in the gloaming)

Long throws, like most set pieces and various other things, have gone through phases in FM of being either over-powered or under-powered. There was one version (possibly FM05 given the comment above) where they were well overdone and a player with decent long throws could regularly throw the ball straight onto the head of a tall player in the box for a goal.

I have actually seen good long throws in FM, but more because my guy in the box is, for some reason, totally un-marked so the ball can be thrown to somewhere near his feet and he has plenty of time to collect it, turn and score, but I've not seen Dave Challinor-esque throws in FM08

Tactics and Match Engine Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Vertanno View Post
    The problem with Stoke is that they can't defend very well at all. Today for instance, Everton took their time around the box and even managed to make four passes just in the box without any movement from the three players involved. They also suck at defending set pieces, I expect them to lose a lot last minute goals because of this, the goal they conceded from a set piece was almost laughable.
    Is Serps managing them?

Youth Team
    I used to chase eggs. Now I am just trying not to respond to eegits.

Dave Challinor was the first in the British game that I saw take it to this level.

I haven't been able to replicate it in FM but in CM03/04 I had Freddy Guarin in my Barnet side in the Premiership and he had 20 for long throws and it was just mental how effective it was.

You didn't want to get a throw in level to the penalty area or closer to the goal-line, but bring it back about 10-15 yards and it had goal written all over it. God how I loved CM03/04.

Anyone remember the guy who used to do a run and then a somersault which finished with him launching the ball miles, (pretty sure it was South America). All the home team did was bring the advertising hoardings in to negate it I think.

Semi Pro

Is there a PPM for this? There probably should be.

Semi Pro
    Newcastle upon Tyne (lurking in the gloaming)

It should be covered simply by the Long Throws attribute really - there is a scale from 1-20 (or 1-100 in the background) and 20 should mean you can launch it miles whereas lower values mean you are no good at that. There's not much else to it really.

Amateur

How are they in FM2008? The odd player should be able to do monstrous throw-ins.

First Team Squad Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vertanno View Post
    You are wrong actually, they can play decent football especially with that Ricardo Fuller. Liam Lawrence gives them excellent width and passing ability, it's a shame they didn't get Jermaine Pennant, he could be really prolific in a Stoke side.

The problem with Stoke is that they can't defend very well at all. Today for instance, Everton took their time around the box and even managed to make four passes just in the box without any movement from the three players involved. They also suck at defending set pieces, I expect them to lose a lot last minute goals because of this, the goal they conceded from a set piece was almost laughable. I reckon signing someone like Sami Hypia could really make big difference for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by PompeY2J View Post
    they played some great football three weeks ago when they beat Aston Villa.

But i have a player in my squad with 20 for long throws, and he gets it past the edge of the 6 yard area.
    You are both wrong, I watched a lot of Stokes games last season in the Championship as I'm a Midlander and they played some awful stuff and it hasn't changed. They have footballing players but don't seem to get them to actually play football. But that's just my opinion.

Third Team

Delap has 19 on my game...he should have 20 and pretty much everyone else should have 18 or under. Halford maybe deserves 19 though.

Reserves

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbokav1971 View Post
    Anyone remember the guy who used to do a run and then a somersault which finished with him launching the ball miles, (pretty sure it was South America). All the home team did was bring the advertising hoardings in to negate it I think.
    I'd never heard of that before, but after a bit of a search, I've found the perfect example of it.

International Squad

It also helps that most of Stoke's players seem about nine feet tall compared to most other teams.

Third Team

Quote Originally Posted by glamdring View Post
    Long throws, like most set pieces and various other things, have gone through phases in FM of being either over-powered or under-powered. There was one version (possibly FM05 given the comment above) where they were well overdone and a player with decent long throws could regularly throw the ball straight onto the head of a tall player in the box for a goal.

I have actually seen good long throws in FM, but more because my guy in the box is, for some reason, totally un-marked so the ball can be thrown to somewhere near his feet and he has plenty of time to collect it, turn and score, but I've not seen Dave Challinor-esque throws in FM08
    It was CM03/04 which was vastly overpowered. I actually think that they were pretty much spot on with FM'05: Freddy Guarin to Rio Ferdinand was good for maybe five goals a season, plus another five on flick-ons to another player in the box .. nothing spectacular but good enough to be worth the investment in the "20 Long Throws" player, and only paying off if you'd taken the time to tweak your setups .. and of course, I was risking having a central defender badly out of position if I missed it.

I haven't seen anything like that in FM'08, though.

Third Team
    Steal a little and they throw you in jail Steal a lot and they make you king

Kain- that video is unique to say the least!! nice

Amateur

No I not but I suppose s it shouldn't be too diffcult in the game to add a does really long throws trait to players. Also I think throwing the ball in takes in to consideration the strength of the player.

Banned

You are both wrong, I watched a lot of Stokes games last season in the Championship as I'm a Midlander and they played some awful stuff and it hasn't changed. They have footballing players but don't seem to get them to actually play football. But that's just my opinion.
    It's all down to Pullis. He's defensive minded so doesn't really know anything other than to launch it forward and pick up the loose balls. Nearly every pundit going has written Stoke off and I have to agree. Once Delap gets injured they will be up s*it creek without a paddle.

Of course, I am fairly biased because I support Vale. ;)

Amateur

Since this thread has turned into a bitchfest against my beloved Stoke City i'll show my face and defend my club.

Long ball - we mix it with the best of them. Yes we play direct balls into the channels for Fuller to chase every now and then, but we also have Liam Lawrence on the wing and, this season, Seyi Olofinjana in the middle of the park. We play football in the right areas ie. further up the pitch where misplaced passes can do no damage to our own team ;)

Last season, Liam Lawrence got 15 goals from the wing and was statistically the best midfielder in the Championship. The statistics basically measure how many times you touch the ball and from that what you do with it - no of assists, key passes etc. A team that plays awful football as often as the fleet street gang would ram down your throat would surely bypass players like Lawrence, leaving them pretty much worthless and virtually statistically immeasurable, nevermind statistically the best in their class?

Long Throw - its a method of attack that we use in equal measure. We've scored 7 goals in 4 Premier League games this season (almost 2 a game which is pretty decent for a newly promoted side still finding their feet) and 3 of those 7 goals have come from the Long Throw, 1 a penalty, 1 an own goal and two bits of magic from Fuller.

Anyway, as you were...

Reserves

I'm sorry, Stoke don't play good football and when they are losing to a team they expect to beat, they don't play football, they just rough you up. I don't blame them fot playing 'hoof it' football because it works for them (or did, at least).

Sorry, Stripey ;)

Third Team

Lawrence scored most of his goals from penalties no? And he's not exactly the most cultured of players. That's why he got dumped by Sunderland sharpish.

Amateur

I never said we play good football - only Arsenal play what you call "good football". Everyone else plays their own brand of football, to varying degrees of directness.

What I said was, we don't play as bad a football as people say we do. We mix it up.

Youth Team

FM08 never really demonstrated that throw-ins could be as dangerous as Delaps (as a Villan, i know just how dangerous), but it would be great to have such a weapon accurately reflected in
    FM09/10/at some point.

International Squad

Quote Originally Posted by Suge View Post
    Of course, I am fairly biased because I support Vale. ;)
    Remind everyone how Port Vale are doing these days...

Banned

If you don't mind i'll pass.

Lawrence scored most of his goals from penalties no? And he's not exactly the most cultured of players. That's why he got dumped by Sunderland sharpish.
    I disagree, Lawrence is an excellent midfielder when he is on his game. I know there is a huge gulf in class between the Championship and the Prem but his performances last season were impressive. He has consistency, touch and creativity (that ball to Fuller against Villa was magic) and will give most full-backs a hard time. Of course, wheather Stoke choose to use him or not is down to Pulis.

I don't like watching Stoke play but I want them to do well for the county. I will take 17th this season.

Amateur

Whether ugly or not, Stoke's style shouldn't be tied down in FM09 as the game will inevitably change the team out of all recognition within 2-3 seasons. They may never be the most cultured side (in fact, I remember them trying to kick Walsall off the park in a top of the table game about 10 years ago; still Walsall won 1-0), but IMO FM needs to allow for anything to happen.
    If you can't already, there should be something in FM to allow you to use a player's throw-in specialism, though. It'd also need to take account of where the play is on the pitch and 'mix it up'.

International Squad

I would like to add another name to the brilliant long throws as well as Delap and Halford, our (Coventry) brilliant Icelandic international Aron Gunnarson (who currently has a very low stat in long throws). Can get them into middle of the box from just past the halfway line.

Long throw video-- See 51 seconds.

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by G-Man11 View Post
    I would like to add another name to the brilliant long throws as well as Delap and Halford, our (Coventry) brilliant Icelandic international Aron Gunnarson (who currently has a very low stat in long throws). Can get them into middle of the box from just past the halfway line.

Long throw video-- See 51 seconds.
    That's fantastic. Great run up too.

And Stoke will not stay up doing that. They signed Kitson for a reason, and he can't play in a long ball system.

(Hint: it was something to do with scoring goals)

Third Team

He rules. Hardcore.

First Team

No, because he's scored Premiership goals, and most of Stoke's Championship side hadn't.

Amateur

Can I drag this thread back to its original topic?

Is anyone a beta tester of the FML match engine who can shed some light on whether long throws can be effective like Delap?

Youth Team

Quote Originally Posted by SCIAG View Post
    Greg Halford's throws>>>>>>>Rory Delap's throws.
    woo they can chuck a ball but everything else about their game is pish

Quote Originally Posted by Suge View Post
    If you don't mind i'll pass.

I disagree, Lawrence is an excellent midfielder when he is on his game. I know there is a huge gulf in class between the Championship and the Prem but his performances last season were impressive. He has consistency, touch and creativity (that ball to Fuller against Villa was magic) and will give most full-backs a hard time. Of course, wheather Stoke choose to use him or not is down to Pulis.

I don't like watching Stoke play but I want them to do well for the county. I will take 17th this season.
    Lawrence is woeful is cross doesnt beat the man, his pace lacked in many games and when its going against him he seems lazy

Id like to see the long throws be used so i can have a guy with 20 for long throws and expect the ball to work similar to a corner as when either delap or halford throws the ball in it used to end up around the middle of the box

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by acidmonkey View Post
    woo they can chuck a ball but everything else about their game is pish

I don't think anybody would argue otherwise...

Semi Pro
    And here's to you, Jimmy Gannon, Stockport loves you more than you will know!

Problem with Challinor is that long throws are the ONLY strength to his game - He used to be our captain and was the second worst player on the pitch every week (after Carlton Palmer)

Reserves

Leave Carlton Palmer alone!

Third Team

Quote Originally Posted by SCIAG View Post
    No, because he's scored Premiership goals, and most of Stoke's Championship side hadn't.
    Wasn't talking about Kitson. And anyway Kitson is fine with heading the ball. He's pretty tall. Even if he can't head and prefers it at his feet he can still head it.

International Squad

Would like to see a competition between Delap, Halford and Gunnarson to see who can throw the ball furthest (in the throw in style). Plus may I add Gunnarson is a very good player and his long throws are just an added advantage and he is destined for premier league football (being only 19).
    Last edited by G-Man11; 17-09-2008 at 19:34.

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by Evon View Post
    Wasn't talking about Kitson. And anyway Kitson is fine with heading the ball. He's pretty tall. Even if he can't head and prefers it at his feet he can still head it.
    I thought you were sarcastically mocking me .
    I see now you meant Gunnarsson.
    Kitson's pretty good when it comes to directing the header, just not at winning them with his back to goal. Decent, but no Kevin Davies- I think Doyle was statistically better despite the 4 inch height difference.

Incidently, Greg Halford could have done the javelin for Britain- I believe he was the second best 16 year old in the country at it.

Lurker

Why can't they put in a specialty move (eg. stepovers) for long throws that allows them to throw that extra bit further, so players such as Delap have an advantage.

First Team Regular
    Premier League Draft Champion x2, OTF Big Brother Winner

A PPM perhaps .
    Throws the ball a long, long way

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by chunkymunky64 View Post
    Why can't they put in a specialty move (eg. stepovers) for long throws that allows them to throw that extra bit further, so players such as Delap have an advantage.
    I agree. The throw-in attribute, for me, is pointless and could easily be represented by a PPM.

First Team Squad Member

Can I drag this thread back to its original topic?

Is anyone a beta tester of the FML match engine who can shed some light on whether long throws can be effective like Delap?
    I'm a BETA tester and to be honest they're pretty much the same as in FM08.

Amateur

This is a prime example of a new PPM which should be included.

Amateur

Ppm please

+ Reply to Thread