[FM16] Budapest Honvéd FC: Restoring the fortunes of Hungary's fallen giants

Darius1998

DnBzJJp.png

Budapest Honvéd FC is a Hungarian sports club from Budapest best known for its football team. Honved means the Homeland Defence. Originally formed as Kispest AC, they became Kispest FC in 1926 before reverting to their original name in 1944. The team enjoyed a golden age during the 1950s when it was renamed Budapest Honvéd SE and became the Hungarian Army team. The club's top players from this era, Ferenc Puskás, Sándor Kocsis, József Bozsik, Zoltán Czibor, and Gyula Grosics formed the nucleus of the legendary Hungarian team known as the Mighty Magyars and helped the club win the Hungarian League four times during the 1950s. During the 1980s and early 1990s the club enjoyed another successful period, winning a further eight Hungarian League titles. They also won league and cup doubles in 1985 and 1989. In 1991 the club was renamed Kispest Honvéd FC and adopted its current name in 2003.

2BNUKKr.png

The club's first team plays at the Boszik stadion, named after club legend József Bozsik. The stadium can hold 10,000 people (6,000 seated).

xhCITFZ.jpg

Manager profile

Y3YpQzE.jpg

aDWgHdw.jpg

FtYSvPb.jpg

The club has fallen on hard times in recent years and haven't won the league for over 20 years. My job will be to take them to where they were during the time of the Mighty Magyars, when Honvéd reached the European Cup final, although certainly I'd like to go one step further and win the trophy itself.

Leagues loaded

England (6 tiers)

Germany (3 tiers)

Holland (2)

Hungary (2)

Norway (2)

Spain (3)

Wales (1)

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DnBzJJp.png

Budapest Honvéd FC

2015/16

Season expectations

8ms9nHb.jpg

What did I say about the club having fallen on hard times? Change it to 'the club has fallen on really hard times and will do well to stay up'. We are predicted to finish 11th out 12 in a league where teams play each other thrice. It used to be a 30 game season with 16 teams in the league but 2014/15 saw a number of teams relegated due to financial and licensing issues.

Squad

0sBfzK3.jpg

MSaxwP8.jpg

I don't have an assistant to rate the players, so coach Sandor Pári did it instead. It isn't saying much though because anyone under 3.5* CA is apparently not cut out for this level. Add to that, I have basically no staff members (1 coach, 1 GK coach, 1 fitness coach, a physio, a DoF and a chief scout), there is no room in the wage budget and no transfer budget either. The facilites are not great although there are two or three good prospects in the U19s team.

This should be fun. :D

DnBzJJp.png

Budapest Honvéd FC

2015/16

Preseason

FIaGqOb.jpg

At least the board are willing to pay on this occasion.

bdeHUZy.jpg

We have a new parent club. Polish giants Legia will be paying us around £45k per year.

Friendlies

97LSrbI.jpg

This went as expected. We won the games we were supposed to win and quite expectedly saw Lokomotiv Moscow coast past us.

y808ls9.jpg

League expectations aren't high but we are expected to reach the Fourth round in the cup.

P6CzfHG.jpg

Our first game will be at home to defending champions Videoton. Baptism of fire.

Honvéd are a classic, interesting challenge. Will certainly be following this. :thup:
The Legia affilation is really interesting for a number of reasons. Good luck with the career, I'll definitely be following this. :thup:

Thanks guys, nice to have you on board. :)

As for the Legia affiliation, I take it you are a Legia supporter?

DnBzJJp.png

Budapest Honvéd FC

2015/16

July 2015

Transfers

N1Ppa21.jpg

We didn't have money for transfers but could have some now after Richard Vermes told me about wanting to join Vaduz. 24 clubs made bids for him, I negotiated a few to get £125k (£100k upfront, £25k over 12 months + 30% of next sale). Vaduz were one of the clubs who refused to make the offer which I deemed acceptable and he was furious. I promised to go back and speak to Vaduz over the bid but they never came back and he went off to Aberdeen anyway. Being a defensive forward, he didn't really fit in with the way I want to play either although he was rated well. Maybe we can get at least one player in now.

xkoqo0u.jpg

It hasn't been a great start although we seem to have more possession in our games. We saw more of the ball against Videoton but went into the break 2-0 down. CM Patrik Hidi headed in two goals but they scored thrice in quick succession and although Youla pulled one back, we were never really going to make it 5-5 despite giving it our best shot. I'm not disappointed that we lost but it isn't good that 4 of their goals came from individual errors at the back, two of them from our captain.

Away to Ujpest, it was the same story. We didn't get going until we were 3-0 down but after pulling one back, we pushed hard and left ourselves open at the back. Not a great start but there are a few encouraging signs, especially in attack.

tY38PN3.jpg

Early days but we are dead last.

oHEMMvT.jpg

This is what I was saying about our attack. We look good going forward but are probably worse than Aston Villa at the back.

Bit hard to judge your start as Upjest and Videoton tend to be decent clubs on FM but it does look like you need to get a few defenders in

Yeah and we have got a bit of money to spend now plus some room in the wage budget because Daniel Prosser kicked up a fuss when I rejected bids for him from Elfsborg and Esbjerg.

DnBzJJp.png

Budapest Honvéd FC

2015/16

August 2015

Transfers

4ZonSlj.jpg

Prosser left the club for £150k and a 50% next sale clause after kicking up a fuss and this freed up some money for us. Captain Djordje Kamber has been disappointing at DM so Walney (3 month loan) replaced him. Abdouraman and Balogh can play as both DM and CM and are rated pretty well. Janos Lazok replaces Prosser and is more of a winger than the departing Prosser, who was an IF. Marko Pajac will share the left wing spot with Filip Holender, who has done well so far. Istvan Meszaros further adds to our central midfield options and we brought in two centre backs - Litauszki and William Rocha (both rated at 3.5* CA) and a left back - Zsolt Gevay.

Fixtures

4b4TFo0.jpg

We've definitely improved defensively. We played well against Debrecen and should have been 1-0 or maybe even 2-0 up at half time. The problem is that we weren't and then lost 3-0 despite having 12 shots to 4 (4-3 on target). Kristi Marku was sent off against Puskas Akademia and the match fizzled out into a bore draw really. Our first win of the season came in the cup as we eased past third tier Tallya and then won away to Vasas thanks to Souleymane Youla's header.

We were poor against Bekescsaba but seemed to have done enough to take a point back, only for them to score an 86th minute winner. We recovered from that to beat Haladas thanks to goals from Holender and debutant Lazok.

OTP Bank Liga

9TZOA1L.jpg

Things look a bit better now as we sit just outside the relegation places, helped to an extent by MTK losing 4 in a row in the league. We have shown that we can compete with teams who are likely to finish in and around us so at least that's good.

As for the Legia affiliation, I take it you are a Legia supporter?

Christ, hell no. I despise them as a football club, but there are some similarities between Honved and the old who... I mean, Legia - they both are military clubs. And there's also the Polish-Hungarian brotherhood that makes it even more interesting.

Christ, hell no. I despise them as a football club, but there are some similarities between Honved and the old who... I mean, Legia - they both are military clubs. And there's also the Polish-Hungarian brotherhood that makes it even more interesting.

Oh sorry, Lech Poznan then?

DnBzJJp.png

Budapest Honvéd FC

2015/16

September 2015

Fixtures

96bHPQ1.jpg

We faced two crucial games after the international break and after scraping a late win against Paksi, we got pinned back by Diosgyor as they seemed to create chances at will in the first half. A change in formation to 4-3-2-1 to counter their narrow 4-2-3-1 just before the break paid off really well. Marko Pajac scored both goals on his debut and we could easily have had more as Youla missed a hat trick of chances.

I chose to keep the 4-3-2-1 for our game in the cup, where almost the entire team was rotated and I used instant result to let my assistant take charge. It badly backfired as we blew an early lead to lose 3-1 against a team that is not even in the third tier. A home game against MTK gave us the chance to put things right but we failed to score a second goal in the first half when we were in the ascendancy. They equalised but we hit back immediately thanks to Youla's long range effort. MTK were better in the second half though and converted a penalty, which came as a result of some pushing and shoving in the box during a corner, to snatch a draw.

OTP Bank Liga

20qTdXi.jpg

We're up to sixth and I'm not complaining at all. MTK are off the bottom now although they are still surprisingly in a relegation battle. Ujpest have have gone from leading on goal difference to being five points clear at the top.

f2jiYYU.jpg

It took a bit of convincing but eventually, they agreed.

DnBzJJp.png

Budapest Honvéd FC

2015/16

October 2015

Fixtures

cSApz95.jpg

We had four tough games this month as we played every team in the runaway top 4. We conceded early at Ferencvaros but turned it around to lead only for a late own goal as Litkauszki hit his defensive partner Ignjatovic with a goal line clearance. Remebering the earlier defeat to Videoton, I used a five man defence fot this game but it didn't work as we trailed to a first half penalty. A change back to our normal formation meant we were more competitive in the 2nd half but couldn't find an equaliser.

We did extremely well against Ujpest, who were six clear at the top, and were unlucky to only draw, seeing as we created 4 clear cut chances to their 0. Debrecen, by contrast, didn't give us much of a chance. We equalised after they scored early but then had Zsolt Gevay sent off and we never recovered from that.

OTP Bank Liga

bgJ10CF.jpg

Big gaps have developed between 1st and 2nd and 4th and 5th now. We look comfortable in midfield despite picking up just 3 points from our last 5 games. We now face two crucial home games either side of the international break, against Paksi and Bekescsaba.

DnBzJJp.png

Budapest Honvéd FC

2015/16

November 2015

Fixtures

GlTF4Pm.jpg

We had a considerably easier run of fixtures this month and I feel we really should have taken 9 points out of 9. Our first game was at home to struggling Vasas who were in the relegation places and on a run of 6 straight defeats. We were poor on the day and if anything, were lucky to get even one point, but thankfully, we did pick up all 3 thanks to Robert Litauszki's first goal for the club.

Bekescsaba were next up and we could have been 3-0 up at half time but weren't - we struck the post twice and Delczeg, starting in place of the inconsistent Youla, shot at the keeper when clean through. However, he did make up for it by scoring a looping header in the second half to give us the win. He scored again in our next game against Puskas Akademia and despite seeming to be comfortably holding on, we conceded late on and had to settle for a draw.

OTP Bank Liga

d1io65g.jpg

10 points clear of the drop zone now.

DnBzJJp.png

Budapest Honvéd FC

2015/16

December 2015

qgcrDzx.jpg

20 games in and they decide to focus on my transfer activity instead of the league performance. Lazok hasn't set the world alight although he has still managed a better AR than Prosser before him. Prosser, meanwhile, is averaging under 6.30 in Denmark. Bad move for him.

Fixtures

TrB7P2t.jpg

Just before our game against Haladas, first choice keeper Kemenes got injured and was ruled out for 4 weeks. Andras Horvath was the backup but lacked match fitness, so, highly rated 16 year old Daniel Vajda was thrust into the first team for our last two games before the winter break. A dull game at Haladas saw only one shot on target. That too in the 92nd and final minute but Vajda made a brilliant save to get us a point.

We were poor again at home to Paksi but still should have done enough to beat them. Instead, we fell to a defeat with yet another goal being conceded after the 70th minute, in what has now become a worrying trend.

OTP Bank Liga

wHpZ8J3.jpg

We've dropped down to 8th as we go into the winter break but barring a major collapse, I think we should finish somewhere between 5th and 10th.

In other news, Souleymane Youla has headed off to Helsingborgs in Sweden for £16k. We are set to lose Aleksandar Ignjatovic, who has been very important at the back for us as three clubs have triggered his £130,000 release clause. Lorand Szilagyi, Mohamadou Abdouraman and Istvan Meszaros all want to leave due to a lack of playing time.

Shame about losing those players but thankfully you have a good amount of points on the board to allow any replacements to settle in without worrying about relegation too much

I had a Spanish midfielder called Apoño on trial over the last few weeks and he seems like he could be an upgrade on both Abdouraman and Meszaros. The coaches think he would be a star player for most OTP Bank Liga sides, which is pretty good considering the ratings of our other players. We will only really be able to find out about that after the winter break.

William Rocha is the latest to join the 'I want to leave because I'm not playing' list and I need to search for a new CB soon.

DnBzJJp.png

Budapest Honvéd FC

2015/16

Winter break (December to February)

PfaL2sc.jpg

Okay, they are willing to fund it.

zYB4kDp.jpg

It came at the third (fourth/fifth?) time of asking and took a lot of persuasion. It may come at a cost though...

MSWRrRy.jpg

I told the chairman that it would help me become better in the transfer market and now he is pressurising me to actually make better transfer dealings.

saLJixn.jpg

I'm not falling for that. However, the transfer budget has gone into negative and I can't even pay agent fees to get unattached players.

1O0N8U9.jpg

Another senior affiliate. Plzen will play us around £22,000 every year.

PDGaNFH.jpg

Transfers

lbjMJ3z.jpg

As mentioned earlier, Souleymane Youla has departed for Sweden while among the players who wanted more playing time, Rocha went to SV Ried, Abdouraman accepted a mutual termination of his contract and Meszaros was let go on a free to now third tier Gyor. Incredibly enough, no amount of the money from Ignjatovic's transfer has been added to the transfer budget by the chairman, so, we had to rely on freebies.

Apono looked good on trial and joins on a free as does 35 year old Spanish/Basque defender Egoitz Jaio, who replaces our departing centre backs. 18 y/o Felipe joins till the end of the season from Fluminense and is already our best rated striker. Juan Carlos Delgadillo (CD/DM), also 18, joins on a free from Orlando City's U23 team. He is highly rated and at present, is good enough to contribute something to the team right away. A move for another 18 year old, Argentine CM Bruno Viotti fell through because we couldn't pay his agent £2k. He already had a 3.5* rating from my scouts and if he is still available, I will definitely try to move for him next season.

Friendlies

DEwKhfm.jpg

They were a mixed bag. Only two wins but also only one loss.

DnBzJJp.png

Budapest Honvéd FC

2015/16

February 2016

Youth Candidates Team

SrTPmNy.jpg

Adam Szilagyi | Zsolt Pallagi

Considering that the facilities are pretty bad, I think this is a quite good intake. Unfortuantely, both of the best players from the intake have natural positions that wouldn't fit into my preferred formation.

IbEpg3n.jpg

MTK's manager is first choice although they are bottom of the league!?

l3AH6TQ.jpg

I'm not leaving anyway.

Fixtures

EyjNEgT.jpg

We've turned into comeback kings all of a sudden and it is our first perfect month of the season. I switched to a narrow 4-1-3-2 after the winter break to make room for our talents in the central midfield and striker positions. We went 2-0 down though and Apono was ruled out for 3 months with a slipped disc. 17 y/o Kristof Herjeczki pulled one back and Felipe grabbed the equaliser on debut. Not to be left behind, Apono's replacement Juan Carlos Delgadillo scored the winner in the second half to complete a superb turnaround.

Against MTK, we again found ourselves 1-0 down but a switch to our pre-break 4-1-2-3 DM wide formation paid off. Half time substitutes Filip Holender and Gergely Delczeg scored to make it 2-1 and Patrik Hidi added a third a few minutes before the final whistle. A superb defensive display followed at home to Ferencvaros and after matching them throughout the game (our 4-1-3-2 stifled their 4-3-1-2), Balazs Balogh scored his first goal for the club when a deflected shot fell into his path. Both teams had late chances but after they missed one at our end, Felipe put an injury-time chance over the bar. It didn't matter in the end though as we made it 9 points our of 9 for the month.

OTP Bank Liga

FenOSum.jpg

The win sees us shoot up the table into 5th. Ujpest have almost been caught up at the top and our victory over Ferencvaros stopped them going joint top. Our next game does see us travel to Ujpest though.

Good start after the winter break :thup: Out of interest what formation are playing? Just wondered as you said the 2 youth candidates don't fit in to your formation, Adam Szilagyi looks like he has enough in him to be retrained in to a striker, obviously if he's any good or not is another matter but his attributes in that area seem like it could be an option

Good start after the winter break :thup: Out of interest what formation are playing? Just wondered as you said the 2 youth candidates don't fit in to your formation, Adam Szilagyi looks like he has enough in him to be retrained in to a striker, obviously if he's any good or not is another matter but his attributes in that area seem like it could be an option

Normally, I use the following two:

qaZ6oLW.jpg

YiOxHZG.jpg

However, considering how good they can both potentially become, I will try and make some alterations to the tactics later in the season (surely we can't go down now?) to try and fit them in. Maybe a 4-4-1-1 or an asymmetrical formation.

Notes

Player roles can change.

More images will be available if people ask for them.

DnBzJJp.png

Budapest Honvéd FC

2015/16

March 2016

GjzAAtA.jpg

Well, I wanted to sign Viotti, whom I mentioned in an earlier post and so, I went to the board and hoped they would give me some more money. They agreed immediately, saying that they believed in my judgement in the transfer market and handed me what seems to be a quite good budget.

OTP Bank Liga

m2bmCry.jpg

We had a tougher run of fixtures this and I feel we did well to come out of it with just one loss in five. We did alright at Ujpest but were always under the cosh and were probably lucky to escape with a point after twice coming from behind to equalise. Unfortunately, it didn't quite work out against Videoton as although Szabolcs Kemenes made a number of saves to keep us in the game, we went into the break 2-0 down. Delczeg scored a superb solo goal but any chances of an equaliser were snuffed out by Videoton.

This was followed by two drab 0-0 draws which I really don't have much to tell you about although we did miss injury-time opportunities to score in both games. The final game of the month saw us host Puskas Akademia and they had a player sent off within 10 minutes. All 3 goals came from right wing crosses by right back Patrick Ikenne-King. Felipe received a cross, turned and blasted in at the near post, Herceg turned one into his own net and Delczeg made it 3-0 soon thereafter. They did pull one back but there was no way we were going to concede thrice against 10 men.

OTP Bank Liga

ceYqoxO.jpg

It could still be tight at the top if Videoton and Debrecen win their games in hand but Ferencvaros are probably getting cut adrift a bit. We continue in 5th with Bekescsaba just 2 points behind and it has been a great season for the teams who were tipped for 11th and 12th respectively. MTK have picked up some points but remain adrift while Vasas managed to go the month unbeaten! That means Haladas, Puskas Akademia and Paksi FC might be in trouble having picked up just one win between themselves this month.

New contract

3OSd9cV.jpg

One year extension, with a bit of a payrise as well.

Thanks, although if I remember correctly, in the last season you spent at Vasas, they finished in the top 3.

4th, though they were 3rd before. They also finished below us in our first Division I season the got relegated which sort of formed my perception.

DnBzJJp.png

Budapest Honvéd FC

2015/16

April 2016

QkNB7dg.jpg

New feeder club.

Fixtures

beE5cDN.jpg

Going into April, we needed just one point to mathematically secure safety but then decided to do so the hard way. Late goals saw us lose to Bekescsaba and Haladas but a superb win away at Paksi eventually ensured safety. Away to Diosgyor, although it was a close game, they led 3-0 at one stage and it seemed like being one of 'those days'. However, a superb hat trick from Felipe dragged us level. Away at Ferencvaros, we did our best and Herjeczki's goal should have won it for us but we conceded in the 80th minute and again had to settle for only a point.

OTP Bank Liga

WbBWNaa.jpg

We are now behind Bekescsaba despite having a better goal difference as games won is the first tie breaker here but there isn't much to be concerned about. April wasn't the best month but there was a lot of rotation and some of the youngsters got their chances as well. Ujpest have already become champions while MTK will be playing second tier football next season. The final day is all about what happens at the bottom with three teams battling to escape the drop.

DnBzJJp.png

Budapest Honvéd FC

2015/16

May 2016

Fixtures

Nh5WhgB.jpg

Just one game this month. MTK have improved since they sacked their manager and although it was a weakened team that we sent out, we really should have picked up at least a point. In the end, they took their chances and we didn't.

OTP Bank Liga

iwPhaSV.jpg

We finished with a record of 11 wins, 11 draws and 11 defeats. 44 points is pretty good and something to build on for next season although there is quite clearly a sizeable gap to the top 4. Puskas Akademia were relegated on the final day after losing in their last match. Paksi drew theirs while Vasas beat Debrecen. Debrecen then won the Magyar Kupa against third tier ESMTK in the final which meant that their rivals Ferencvaros also qualified for Europe, having finished 4th in the league.

A good season all in, obviously a few improvements needed but I thought it would be a harder season for you with the defence at the start but it was comfortable in the end.

Thanks and yeah, I was scared by our defending early on but I think that was more down to me being tactically clueless. :D

Solid first season, great foundation to build on in the next!

Will definitely be following this - Watched a Honved game when I was in Budapest so have a slight personal interest too!

Thanks. Hopefully you'll enjoy.

DnBzJJp.png

Budapest Honvéd FC

2015/16

End of season

Squad

84ZjWEb.jpg

yedBrNE.jpg

There are not many players that I would say performed poorly this season but the likes of Djordje Kamber and Janos Lazok were unimpressive. I do think I will let both of them go in the summer. Amongst the youngsters, Herjeczki did alright and got a few goals, Vajda was largely preferred as second choice keeper in place of Horvath while Juan Carlos Delgadillo and Bruno Viotti made a good impression and will hopefully remain here for the future. Delgadillo is only rated at 2.5* for a CB role but is rated at 3.5* for a BWM role which is how I've mostly used him.

Key players

Felipe - Arrived in January and became an instant hit with both the fans and me. We have Javi Camochu coming in as striker over the summer so I need to decide whether I should extend his loan or not.

Patrick Ikenne-King - Not great before the winter break and even spent a spell out of the first team but improved vastly from February onwards and ended up becoming the player with the most assists for our team.

Patrik Hidi - Performed well throughout the season despite not being rated too highly and occasionally chipped in with a few crucial goals and assists along the way.

Balazs Balogh - The fans were concerned when I signed him as Ujpest are our rivals but he won them over with a series of solid displays and even chipped in with a few assists.

Dusan Vasiljevic - Did nothing spectacular but didn't make any mistakes either. Wants a move to Valenciennes in the summer and I won't be keeping him as I feel Viotti can do better in the AP(s) role.

2ekAF4Q.jpg

Debrecen inexplicably sacked their manager just days after winning the cup.

Awards

0zp4ab2.jpg

2nd place. I guess a few sceptics pointed out that I had a win percentage which was half of that of Ujpest's manager.

vJqgR0W.jpg

Patrick Ikenne-King won both the Fans' Player of the Season and the club's Young Player of the Season award.

Review

NxgI97r.jpg

maJfPpX.jpg

Both the media and the board feel that we have done well enough.

DnBzJJp.png

Budapest Honvéd FC

2015/16

End of season (contd...)

K2ves46.jpg

First, the board refused an upgrade for what might be the tenth time and then this comes about. According to the chairman, we should keep the money aside to make the first team better.

Finances

8GSxnGS.jpg

Boo.

SDcM0V5.jpg

Boo.

traVbug.jpg

No real changes to sponsorship money.

B82J0ZV.jpg

We made a healthy profit this season.

fqCNRLL.jpg

At least the chairman lived up to his promise.

PxMJOsq.jpg

4St4p0p.jpg

Boo.

ekfUfdf.jpg

Boo.

Solid first season, Honved starts on a pretty awful condition so to get a midtable position with them is quite a good start.

Shame about the stubborn chairman though, would've been nice to read about youth products at Honved and a revival of the Mighty Magyars based on them etc, but looks like the facilities won't be helping.

Solid first season, Honved starts on a pretty awful condition so to get a midtable position with them is quite a good start.

Shame about the stubborn chairman though, would've been nice to read about youth products at Honved and a revival of the Mighty Magyars based on them etc, but looks like the facilities won't be helping.

That is the plan. :brock:

Although I do think that I might have to wait for a new chairman before I can actually improve the facilities.

DnBzJJp.png

Budapest Honvéd FC

2016/17

Preseason

u7dMucC.jpg

Coaching qualifications completed.

Season expectations

This is a bit confusing as the board and the media differ a lot over where we will finish.

HuqkD8c.jpg

wUQ9k7s.jpg

I'll be happy to just get whatever the board want and a cup run would be nice, considering last season's poor performance. My main aim would be to match or better last season's points tally.

Transfers out

WgKCJEx.jpg

iBdbK42.jpg

So yeah, there's been a lot of outgoings so far, mainly for players that I felt weren't needed anymore. Among the bigger sales, we made a loss on Lazok as he was sold to newly promoted Csakvari while Kamber went for quite a small fee to go to Austria, although to be fair, he wasn't anywhere near first choice for us. Vasiljevic moved to Moreirense in Portugal and third choice keeper Andras Horvath went off to Tatabanya. Delczeg was sold when Videoton came in for him and I let Pajac and B Team midfielder Gazdag leave after managing to negotiate some high fees for them.

Transfers in

FReKz09.jpg

All our transfers so far have come on pre-arranged deals. Tete will present a slight upgrade on Zsolt Gevay at LB as even though Gevay looks solid, he seemed to give away too many needless fouls. 19 year old Rees Greenwood (AMR) is more of a signing for the future. Andras Vagi will back up Ikenne-King at right back. Target man Javi Camochu is rated well and will provide another dimension to our attack while 21 y/o Marvin Weiss can play both DM and CM and will more or less rotate with Patrik Hidi. Thomas Meissner comes into central defence and will replace Egoitz Jaio, who did alright as a stop-gap signing but will retire anyway at the end of the season.

Another transfer happened that isn't mentioned here. Felipe has had his loan extended by another 7 months and will stay till at least January.

Friendlies

YjQoLIS.jpg

All were played on instant result and I feel they could have gone better. Our first game of the season sees us travel to Paksi FC.

DnBzJJp.png

Budapest Honvéd FC

2016/17

July 2016

Fixtures

50A9R5h.jpg

Yes, it's been a better start than last season but we have failed to beat any of the two promoted teams.

Our first game of the season saw us travel to Paks and the strike partnership of Felipe and Camochu paid instant dividends as the Brazilian got a hat trick while the Spaniard got one for himself as well. At home to Csakvar, we controlled the play but failed to create too many good chances while they scored with their only shot on target. The game at Szolnok was a bore fest as both teams failed to provide much of a spark and it petered out into a dull draw.

OTP Bank Liga

ac1vVxi.jpg

We are where I expect us to finish and it's early days but Ujpest haven't won a game while Csakvar, who were tipped to finish bottom, find themselves leading the table. Bekescsaba have made a horrific start and are deservedly bottom.

DnBzJJp.png

Budapest Honvéd FC

2016/17

August 2016

Fixtures

DpJgtIJ.jpg

Not sure why something looks wrong with the image.

This was a slightly better month than July although we still haven't won at home. We completely dominated against Diosgyor, creating 5 CCCs to their 0 and still managed to end up on the losing side. A trip to Ozd in the cup brought some respite as Herjeczki got a brace. At home to Ferencvaros, it was an even game but again we failed to score a goal, which made it three successive league games without a goal.

Trips to Debrecen and Ujpest looked like tough tasks at this point but we took the lead at Debrecen thanks to a calm finish from Herjeczki (Felipe picked up a gashed leg in the previous game) and hung on although Camochu blazed wide when presented with a sitter early in the second half which would have made it a bit comfortable for us. Away to Budapest rivals Ujpest, we saw the home team come at us time and again but Kemenes and the defence were in fine form and when Viotti's free-kick was parried out by the keeper, substitute Adam Szilagyi was on hand to poke home.

OTP Bank Liga

uV8ma6p.jpg

We've gone up into sixth while Ujpest briefly spent time in the relegation zone before climbing up to 7th and losing to us. Bekescsaba have still not won a game, although they draw at Paks while the big surprise sees Csakvar continue to lead the table, in what is at present, a very much bunched up league.

DnBzJJp.png

Budapest Honvéd FC

2016/17

August 2016

Transfers

n5JUZhP.jpg

A few significant transfers have taken place since preseason. Kristi Marku leaves for Vasas for what I feel was a decent fee as he would have been third or fourth choice at CB at best which would have hampered his development. The fans were delighted with the fee. Striker Krisztian Nagy was sold off to Haladas and Gevay, who had fallen behind Tete in the pecking order and had less than 12 months remaining on his deal, left for Austria Wien.

The only incoming transfer sees 19 year old Zsolt Beke come in to replace Gevay as second choice left back and considering the potential he has, I think he make the position his own within a season and half or two seasons.

Squad

MTCd3ba.jpg

jRQQMwr.jpg

Daniel Gobylos has been promoted from the B Team (Honved-MFA or Magyar Futball Akademia) while Boton Sallay is back after spending last season on loan at Gyor. Unfortunately, it seems Bruno Viotti will not be signing a new contract and considering he signed what was only a 27-month deal while joining in March, he also has a low sell-on value. Hopefully, we can keep him as he's been our best player this season.

DnBzJJp.png

Budapest Honvéd FC

2016/17

September 2016

Fixtures

Uxy3dx9.jpg

Our miserable home form continued into this month when we hosted Videoton. Herjeczki put us ahead in the 85th minute only for them to equalise just minutes later. If that wasn't bad enough, a close game against Bekescsaba turned into a rout. We were probably the better team but they took the lead and Herjeczki twice had one-on-one shots saved by the keeper.

Thomas Meissner then gave away a penalty at the start of the second half with a two footed overhead kick on someone and we were two down. A third came when a cross hit the bar and with the keeper and defence stranded, they got their third, soon to be followed by a fourth. Kristof Herjeczki did get a goal back but it was too little, too late. An easy cup win away from home restored a bit of confidence and we played Haladas off the park but seemed to be heading for a goalless draw.

Ikenne-King put us ahead late on but they equalised and it looked like a carbon copy of the Videoton game but a long range strike from Viotti got us the three points. It was straight at the keeper and he should have held it but actually, their keeper had gone off injured and they had to stick a midfielder in goal at that point. We finally got a first home win by easing past Vasas in the final game of the month.

OTP Bank Liga

8jtlfgF.jpg

We're up to fifth having played a game more (the Vasas game was on a Friday). It's a bit embarassing though that the only team Bekescsaba have beaten this season is us. Szolnok have gone into meltdown after a great start although Vasas look like they will need a repeat of last season's miraculous escape if they are to stay up.

DnBzJJp.png

Budapest Honvéd FC

2016/17

October 2016

Fixtures

kC0uEgf.jpg

We had a scare in the cup as we were taken to penalties by a lower division team but thankfully, we prevailed on penalties. It led to a bit of tiredness three days later as we again failed to find the net against Caskvar. They scored from a cross and a had a penalty saved by Kemenes, as we were made to rue missed chances. We couldn't beat Paks at home depsite having 25 shots to their 5 as they scored with their only shot on target while we only got 5 of our 25 shots on target.

A rotated team did the job in the first leg of our fourth round cup game and a rare home league win saw us beat Szolnok thanks to two second half goals after they had cancelled out Herjeczki's strike.

OTP Bank Liga

dzROJNK.jpg

We've dropped a place to sixth but despite having a poor month in the league, we are just 3 points off the top. Everyone's beating each other.

Archived