Taking over clubs in January where they sit in the table IRL.

Every year without fail someone, somewhere in these forums asks "Wouldn't it be great if in the January Update you could take over a team in the position they are actually in at that time of year?" So Aston Villa bottom of the Premier League 9pts from safety, PSG 24pts clear at the top of Ligue 1 etc etc. and every year a moderator or someone from SI comes and says "We can't do that because of x, y or z" normally they say the data is too difficult to implement etc and most people go, oh well that's a shame because it would be awesome.

My question is, if this is genuinely the case and it is too difficult to code into a data update how come newspapers and websites are posting stories with titles like "We got SI to simulate in Football Manager the run in for the season and you'll be amazed at the results!!"

If they can do it for articles such as these, it can't be that hard to release it as a patch surely?????

Every year without fail someone, somewhere in these forums asks "Wouldn't it be great if in the January Update you could take over a team in the position they are actually in at that time of year?" So Aston Villa bottom of the Premier League 9pts from safety, PSG 24pts clear at the top of Ligue 1 etc etc. and every year a moderator or someone from SI comes and says "We can't do that because of x, y or z" normally they say the data is too difficult to implement etc and most people go, oh well that's a shame because it would be awesome.

My question is, if this is genuinely the case and it is too difficult to code into a data update how come newspapers and websites are posting stories with titles like "We got SI to simulate in Football Manager the run in for the season and you'll be amazed at the results!!"

If they can do it for articles such as these, it can't be that hard to release it as a patch surely?????

Because they're not allowed to due to licensing. In most cases at least.

It's time-consuming more than difficult but as forumeuss has already seas the reason why this is just done is due to the license agreements they have entered into

I'm not for one moment disagreeing with anything that anyone has put in response. So please don't shoot me down in flames, but if it is a licence issue how come they can do it for newspapers and websites etc? Do the licence issues not come into it when it's not done for "public consumption"?

I'm not for one moment disagreeing with anything that anyone has put in response. So please don't shoot me down in flames, but if it is a licence issue how come they can do it for newspapers and websites etc? Do the licence issues not come into it when it's not done for "public consumption"?

Assume so. You'd have to ask the legal department, so doubt you'll get a proper answer, but assume it's something to do with that. SI can make the database do whatever they want, but they can't release a game that contravenes licenses. Doing an experiment and giving the results to papers (probably for a fee) is probably ok.

Assume so. You'd have to ask the legal department, so doubt you'll get a proper answer, but assume it's something to do with that. SI can make the database do whatever they want, but they can't release a game that contravenes licenses. Doing an experiment and giving the results to papers (probably for a fee) is probably ok.

So if I offered them a tenner and promised not to let anyone see, do you reckon they would do it for me?

You just need to see what happens to the start date options when running the licenses MLS to understand the impact on the game, because of that license agreement the user is restricted to starting the game in 2015, all of the 2016 start dates are disabled.

Archived