Pace in Fm and in real life.

I was just wondering if anybody knew why the pace and acceleration attributes in FM are often wrong and sometimes extremely far off reality. This is not hard to comfirm, just google faster players in the prem to confirm for yourself. Is it because of how highly these stats are valued within the match engine? strikers with 19 pace seem to often score insane solo goals if they have any kind of dribbling. Pace and Acceleration also cost the highest ability points for most positions. Just curious if this has already been explained.

Have you got any examples which you think are wrong?

If you have evidence which you think shows different you should take it up in the Data section of the forum although its possible some have been toned down slightly to allow for skills in other areas.

• Administrators

In lower leagues it can sometimes be difficult to replicate the accurate acceleration and pace given the weightings towards these attributes and the players low CA. However at the higher levels you should very rarely see a 'quick' player who is slow or vice-versa.

One thing to think about, and I find it an interesting topic in relation to all of the attributes, is how they combine to produce an end result.

Obviously Pace and Acceleration are the two key attributes, being the top speed of a player and how quickly they reach this top speed.

The next important one for me is Stamina, being how long the player can sustain their peak performance.

Assume you have two players both with Acceleration/Pace 10, and one with stamina 20 and one with stamina 1. Although the players are equally quick, there are almost no situations where they will appear as such, with the player with stamina 1 quickly tiring, and getting slower. Stamina is key to Gareth Bale-esque speed - long bursting runs.

Agility and Balance are the next two key attributes, in my opinion. Being how quickly a player can change direction while maintaining his speed, and how likely the player is to fall over while performing an action.

So say you have two players with identical attributes apart from Agility, Balance and Strength, which are 20 for Player A and 1 for Player B. Acceleration, Pace, Stamina, are 20 for both.

If the task was to dodge and weave in between gates, then player A would be able to do this at close to his top speed, while Player B would either fall over at every opportunity, or have to slow down in order to complete the task. Agility especially is key to speed like Messi - quick changes of direction.

Imagine player with 20/20 Acc/Pac, but 1 agility. A player with good agility could easily beat them to a ball after a deflection, OTBE, and a player with 20/20 Acc/Pac but 1 stamina could easily lose a foot race to a player with 10/10 Acc/Pac. I think that if you don't know the stamina, agility, balance and strength of a player, then you don't have any idea what their "speed" actually is.

So I would say that by including these other attributes in your assessment you will able to distinguish between "speed" over short distances, long distances, in straight lines, while changing direction quickly, while under physical pressure, in troublesome weather conditions, etc.

It would be useful if the game included these "Skillsets" as highlight options like is used for necessary attributes for roles.

In real life, lower level football, usually excellence often comes from physical attributes, because average physical condition of lower league players is weaker and so few really quick players might be head and shoulders above others. Also, when having a lot better pace and acceleration, he could be a bit more clumsy on the ball, because defender can't really tackle him anyway while he's 10 meters behind.

In real life, difference of physical attributes of top level players are closer to each other, and even if not, those players have learned to overcome their weaknesses and compensate it with their strengts. For example - pace can be neutralized by good marking and positioning - if you don't allow space and time to pick up speed, fast player can become useless on pitch, but it requires good positioning, marking, aggression, tackling and strength - something that lower league defender also lacks.

To use your pace in top level football, as YKW already explained, you have to be not only quick, but agile, well-balanced, have good technique and dribbling skills, off the ball movement and anticipation. And that combination is a lot more rare to find in lower leagues than just raw pace.

Have you got any examples which you think are wrong?

If you have evidence which you think shows different you should take it up in the Data section of the forum although its possible some have been toned down slightly to allow for skills in other areas.

Off the top of my head Jeff Slupp is faster than Belerin and Walcott in real life.

Edit: http://www.90min.com/posts/2658006-leicester-city-players-dominate-list-of-premier-league-s-fastest-in-2015-16 Making him equal to Vardy in speed makes him like 170 CA lol.

• SI Staff

At Leyton Orient we had a lad, Shaun Batt, who is now at Barnet and I have no idea how he managed to get another league club. He was as quick as anything and probably one of the strongest players in the bottom two divisions but those are probably the only things going for him and the only reason he has got anywhere near professional football. He used to be well worth the admission price, would normally just leg it past two defenders, then fall over the ball/ dribble it out of play/ miskick it for a throw in - not even exaggerating. His presence caused defenders all sorts of problems as they didn't have a clue what he was going to do, and in fairness, neither did he.

Off the top of my head Jeff Slupp is faster than Belerin and Walcott in real life.

Edit: http://www.90min.com/posts/2658006-leicester-city-players-dominate-list-of-premier-league-s-fastest-in-2015-16 Making him equal to Vardy in speed makes him like 170 CA lol.

What this article proves is that pace difference between Vardy and other TOP 10 players is roughly 2%. Meaning in FM terms that if Vardy could have pace 20, then Wes Morgan would be 19,6 and an average EPL player IRL who we would think is 'slow' compared to Vardy, has around 15-16 pace in FM terms.

What this article proves is that pace difference between Vardy and other TOP 10 players is roughly 2%. Meaning in FM terms that if Vardy could have pace 20, then Wes Morgan would be 19,6 and an average EPL player IRL who we would think is 'slow' compared to Vardy, has around 15-16 pace in FM terms.

Ok so why is pace and acceleration valued so highly specifically for advanced positions notably for strikers and wingers in CA terms? I believe for strikers its about 3.2. And even though i somewhat agree with what you are saying, Wes Morgan's pace in FM is 9. I mean i think the discrepancy proves my initial point. Marc Alrington is 13, his strength is 6. I have just noticed many of these extreme discrepancies that specifically pertain to players physical attributes. For me it would seem that physical attributes are the easiest thing to get right in FM, players speeds and acceleration, jumping ability have exact quantitative values that are in the most part publicly accessible. It would seem that mental stats are the hardest to get correct, decisions, concentration, composure.

Archived