3-2-2-2-1

I've stumbled upon on formation with 1860 Munchen which I believe has alot of potential:

GK

CB(D) LD(D) CB(D)

WB(S) CWB(A)

BWM(S) BBM(S)/

DLP (S)

W(A) IF/AP(A/S)

P(A)

Flexible, Standard

Team Instructions (Home): Retain posession, be more expressive, low crosses, prevent GK dist,

(Away): Counter, close down more, higher tempo, prevent GK dist, low crosses.

I swap between BBM/DLP & IF/AP depending on who's available. I dont tend to play with two playmakers in the side, and more often than not I use the IF, so my CWB can bomb up the wing.

I'm getting alot of success playing away from home, and my defence is water tight only conceded 14 in 30. I think my style is suited to counter attacking football, but I dont like the idea of playing counter attacking when playing a lesser team at home.

Can anyone see any errors in the tactics? Should I make use of the width in my team? Its working fairly well at the mo, but I get alot of 0-0, 1-0. Any suggestions of anything i've potentially missed or improvements?

Thanks

My initial reaction was to do with the fact that you're playing wing backs and still have wingers further up. I'd be surprised if they weren't getting in each other's way. Generally wing backs are used if you have no wingers or are using defensive wingers (which you're not).

You could argue that it might benefit you to have one of your centre halves to step out and try to make the first tackle. You don't have a DM playing so there's no link between the defence and midfield. If the opposition get past your midfield then they're running at three defenders who are going to back off slightly. I'd be tempted to use the Stopper duty to get one of your defenders to come and meet the attacker.

The last thing I'll mention is that I don't think Poacher works well as a lone striker. They're going to be pretty isolated and his role is to hang on to the shoulder of the last man so he's pushing high up. I'd be inclined to use a striker with a support role just so he can drop in and bring midfield runners into play.

You don't have a DM playing so there's no link between the defence and midfield.

Why do you think you need a DM to provide a link between defence and midfield? If you did need one, how would anyone ever get success using formations that don't use a DM? You don't need a DM ;).

@ the OP - You ask if anyone can see any errors, and there are issues that generally speaking could potentially be looked at. However, you say that you are getting a lot of success away from home with your Counter tactic, and you think your style is suited to this - so why change anything? If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I know you say you don't like the idea of playing counter attacking at home, but why not do so for the time being?

You are playing as 1860 Munich, who are not exactly the strongest team, so perhaps consider playing with your successful counter tactic at home as well? At least until you are in a position to strengthen your squad to help you play in a more expansive manner. Just a thought :).

In the mean time, think about the style of football you want to play and aim to build a squad to compliment that.

Why do you think you need a DM to provide a link between defence and midfield? If you did need one, how would anyone ever get success using formations that don't use a DM? You don't need a DM ;).

I know that, I probably didn't explain what I meant clearly. Usually I would use a midfielder on defend duty who will come back to support the defence and offer the out-ball and he doesn't have that

Thanks Orient and Herne. Good feedback.

I can see what you are saying with the counter style, maybe i'm expecting too much from my team, as you say, not exactly world beaters............. yet :p

You would think the 4 wide men would get in the way, but they dont. The left espically, as the IF tucks in, allows the CWB (a) to get alot of space, either producing a low cross for the poacher. or pass inside to the IF.

Archived