Does becoming a club icon/legend differ from club to club?

I'm currently managing Inter Milan (took over in 2029) on my save after starting out unemployed with Sunday League rep and no badges - I don't particularly miss the Portuguese third tier!

The club finished eighth the season before I took over. In my first year we finished a creditable second, qualifying for Europe again.

Since then we've finished second again (Juve were unstoppable...), won the TIM Cup, finally won Serie A and also won the Champions League (losing in the final 12 months after). Two Italian Super Cups and a UEFA Super Cup were also added to the trophy cabinet.

Despite all that, I'm still only listed as a 'favoured personnel'. What irks me is that Jose Mourinho is a 'legend'. I've achieved more or less what Jose achieved at Inter (I should win my second Serie A this season, my fourth at the club) and have actually stayed at the club longer.

I know Jose is a special case (or should that be Special One!) but what will it take for me to become a 'legend'? Just more trophies?

I'm currently managing Inter Milan (took over in 2029) on my save after starting out unemployed with Sunday League rep and no badges - I don't particularly miss the Portuguese third tier!

The club finished eighth the season before I took over. In my first year we finished a creditable second, qualifying for Europe again.

Since then we've finished second again (Juve were unstoppable...), won the TIM Cup, finally won Serie A and also won the Champions League (losing in the final 12 months after). Two Italian Super Cups and a UEFA Super Cup were also added to the trophy cabinet.

Despite all that, I'm still only listed as a 'favoured personnel'. What irks me is that Jose Mourinho is a 'legend'. I've achieved more or less what Jose achieved at Inter (I should win my second Serie A this season, my fourth at the club) and have actually stayed at the club longer.

I know Jose is a special case (or should that be Special One!) but what will it take for me to become a 'legend'? Just more trophies?

Jose had a special bond with the players and I believe he was the first manager to win a treble at the club.

I've noticed theres not too much a difference between 'Icon' and 'Legend'. I've seen players jump from 'Favoured Personnel' to 'Legend' after a great season.

I promoted Millwall from League 1 to the EPL and i'm not even in the favored personnel bracket ?! 3 of my players are but not myself. It's weird as in FM 2015 i would be at least a favored personnel choice if not more. And for a club like Millwall which has struggled in the lower leagues bouncing back and forward for years i would think that promotion would be a big thing for someone to achieve...

Mourinho would have been added as a legend by the researchers, so to compare to him is flawed in this case. You're having to go through the code to get added, so a completely different task.

I've always found that getting onto these lists is much, much easier at clubs that don't have many to start with. I managed Lincoln of Gibraltar in a long save, and was on the legends list after only a few seasons, whereas you can slog at a big club for decades and not make it. It'll be some kind of weighted average against a club's history I imagine. If you're Inter, they've won a lot over the years, of which you're responsible for a very small percentage. Assume it's more complex than that, but it'll be something along those lines.

I took FC Brentford from a middle-of-the-pack Championship team to finishing 2nd in the Premier League within 4 years while also winning the FA Cup, League Cup and Europa League.

Still, I'm only considered 'Favourite Personnel' while some of my players are legends or icons already.

No idea how that logic works...

I think this depends on several things - primarily the stature of the club you are managing alongside your reputation and stature as a manager.

Winning a title with Southampton is going to likely boost your status considerably, whereas a title at Chelsea would be seen as just "good".

I'm in my 5th year at Huddersfield - first season I took over at Christmas with the club second from bottom and saved them from relegation. Following season got them promoted to Premier League at which point I became favoured personnel. First year in prem managed a top half finish and my most recent season saw us sneak into the 4th champions league spot on goal difference on final day! Despite all this I am only an "icon" in the game and my reputation is still only "decent" at 2 and a half stars!

I

I'm in my 5th year at Huddersfield - first season I took over at Christmas with the club second from bottom and saved them from relegation. Following season got them promoted to Premier League at which point I became favoured personnel.

I did the same thing with Huddersfield and got absolutely nothing in club favourites for it, and I won both domestic cups. Prior to this I took York to two consecutive promotions and then their highest ever league placing (8th in Championship). When I left I appeared as 'favourite personnel', then disappeared from it after a year. I just put it down to Yorkshire folk being a bit grumpy, like.

It could be something to do with club history and already present favoured personnel/icons/legends.

I took over Gainsborough Trinity which had no trophy won or any kind of favoured personnel. By the time I got them to League 1, I became a club legend. Some of my players earned a spot among icons.

It could be something to do with club history and already present favoured personnel/icons/legends.

I took over Gainsborough Trinity which had no trophy won or any kind of favoured personnel. By the time I got them to League 1, I became a club legend. Some of my players earned a spot among icons.

Perhaps, but both Huddersfield and York had previous managers as legends or icons (Peter Jackson and Denis Smith, respectively), and neither had brought them the success that I had.

There again, Phil Brown took Hull to the Premiership for the first time in the club's history, but due to his perceived massive ego and, er, 'personality quirks' he's not loved as much as Warren Joyce was, who saved Hull from relegation from League 2. So perhaps the fans have been grateful for the success but have somehow detected, not unreasonably, that I'm an odious chump.

Perhaps, but both Huddersfield and York had previous managers as legends or icons (Peter Jackson and Denis Smith, respectively), and neither had brought them the success that I had.

There again, Phil Brown took Hull to the Premiership for the first time in the club's history, but due to his perceived massive ego and, er, 'personality quirks' he's not loved as much as Warren Joyce was, who saved Hull from relegation from League 2. So perhaps the fans have been grateful for the success but have somehow detected, not unreasonably, that I'm an odious chump.

Because those people were already "legends" before the game started, inputted by researchers. They didn't go through the coded method of determining a legend that the game has in place. Legends are a very subjective thing, whereas the code needs to have something quantifiable.

You kind of said it yourself with the Phil Brown/Warren Joyce example. How would the game determine which one of those would go on the list? Brown achieved more, but being a club legend isn't all about achievements in real life. That's the grey area that the game will struggle to fill in.

being a club legend isn't all about achievements in real life. That's the grey area that the game will struggle to fill in.

Completely agree with this. Billy Whitehurst is a Hull icon IRL, but this is as much down to his penchant for defecating in yoghurt pots as it is to do with achievements on the pitch. However I do think that having every winner of the fans' POTY making it to 'favourite personnel' when I never made it there for longer than one season was a tad ungrateful. No biggie, and certainly not something I've considered raising in the bugs forum, mind.

Archived