German language setting (regarding closed thread)

I don't believe that I am going to write anything here that should cause this thread to be closed (I am not asking for anything illegal) ...

Is it seriously a rights issue to not have the German *language* in the game (meaning that you cannot change the game experience itself to German - where you go to "Preferences" and then "Language")? That seems ridiculous. Who has the rights to the language, and who is keeping SI from translating this game into German? I can understand not having the national team, etc., due to rights issues, but the language itself? That makes no sense to me, and I am very curious how that came about.

Now perhaps SI doesn't believe it is worth the expense to translate the game into German for whatever reason, which is fine, but since that other thread was closed (and the second post there said that the German language was not supported due to "licensing issues"), that sure gives the impression that this is a rights issue (I am not 100 percent sure as I don't believe that a moderator can give the "official" word that somebody posting with one of those Sports Interactive logos under their user name can). So, who in the world has the rights to the German language?!?

Also, is it seriously against forum rules to ask about downloading a German language pack? That seems pretty ridiculous too. It's a language, which nobody should have rights to.

So wait, do no other countries in the world speak German? Like, I don't know, parts of Switzerland, Austria, Liechtenstein, Luxemborg (some of which ARE supported in game), don't they have a right to play the game in their native language, despite some nebulous "licensing of an entire language group"?

The lack of a German language option will be down to not there not being enough purchases in German speaking nations with the main contributing factor being the inability to sell the game in Germany due to local laws.

The lack of a German language option will be down to not there not being enough purchases in German speaking nations with the main contributing factor being the inability to sell the game in Germany due to local laws.

That makes sense. I was wondering what the reason was since that other thread was closed so abruptly, and the moderator over there posted something that pretty clearly stated that it was solely a rights issue, "(The German language is) not supported due to licensing issues" and that it was not supported for the same reasons that the national team isn't playable and then the thread was closed. Now, as I mentioned in my original post in this thread, if it is down to economics - not enough German-speaking people in Switzerland, Austria, etc. - who want it included for it to make financial sense to put the resources towards making that happen, that's obviously fine.

There's actually a German forum that produces a German language option for download every year.

Good to hear that there is an option regularly made available for those who do speak German as I am sure that there are still plenty out there, even if it doesn't quite reach the tipping point of causing SI to include it as an official language that players could play in.

Apologies, I would have thought that I said was abundantly clear in it's meaning, as obviously a language isn't a licensing concern.

Although in my opinion, what you said was a bit misleading, the fact that the thread was closed soon thereafter when the worst thing that the original poster did was ask if there was a language file out there (which I don't believe is against any rules) combined with what you wrote really made me question what was going on.

Also, the thread wasn't closed by me, just for full disclosure...

I had a feeling that it might not have been you who closed it, which is why I made sure to write things like, "that other thread was closed," here.

Archived