Underrated attributes?

Hi guys,

Does anyone feel there are any attributes that are generally underrated when evaluating a player?

I think agility is an underrated attribute in wingers and players who dribble with the ball in the game, most players instantly look for quickness (acceleration and pace) rather than agility but i find the best small forwards all have great agility rather than great quickness.

Any thoughts?

I'll usually rule out a transfer (for my 1st team) if the player doesn't have both Work Rate and Decisions on or above 14-15, as I see football as being mostly built on these two attributes.

Is there an SI guide that defines each attribute? Some of them seem to overlap (first touch + technique for example), and with others I think I interpret their meanings incorrectly (teamwork for example).

Also, if their reports returns any 'performs inconsistently' flags, then it's a no for me Jeff, although I do believe this can change overtime.

Happy to be corrected on this though.

I do think this changes when they perform well in 'big' games, rivalries, later stages of cup competitions, key league fixtures, etc...

Outside of the usuals for defenders I like concentration, you can have a top notch defender but if he turns off just once in a match it could reall f things up.

From the Online Manual found on www.footballmanager.com - Explore - Online Manual:

First Touch:

How good a player’s first touch is when receiving possession. A higher rating will ensure that the player can corral the ball quicker and put it in a useful position to then act upon. Players with lower ratings here will struggle to control the ball as adeptly and may be prone to losing the ball if closed down quickly.

Technique:

Technique is the aesthetic quality of a player’s technical game – how refined they appear to be with the ball. A player with high Technique will be more likely to pull off a tricky pass or a cross-field ball with greater ease than someone less technically able. This in turn affects a number of technical attributes – poorer Technique will let a player down.

Agility:

Agility reflects how well a player can start, stop, and move in different directions at varying levels of speed (pace). It ties in with the Pace, Acceleration and Balance attributes as they work together in the match engine, especially when a player is running with the ball.

Balance:(as it ties in with Agility)

Balance reflects simply how well a player can keep his balance in situations both with and without the ball. With the ball, it refers to how balanced he is running with it and evading opponents, without it, it refers to his balance when facing a player running at him, or his stability when turning/jumping.

Teamwork:

How well the player follows tactical instructions and works for and alongside his team-mates. A team full of players with a high rating here will work better as a unit. Players with lower ratings will slack off and not ‘buy in’ to the team ethos.

Along with rich I value teamwork, work rate, decisions and determination quite highly when evaluating a player irrespective of their technical/physical attributes that go along with the role I'm trying to get them for. Determination is also one of the most important attribute I look for in any young player I recruit.

For me the technical and physical skills are the ones I notice and then I tend to barely even look at a lot of the mental skills. I think this is just habit from playing CM 01/02 where a few of the stats didn't exist. So while I might pay attention to positioning and off the ball... I barely look at decisions or anticipation. Its my own problem though really.

From the Online Manual found on www.footballmanager.com - Explore - Online Manual:

Thanks for that link! It looks like I've been overrating jumping reach, as I've not signed quite a few tall players simply because they had average jumping.

"Jumping Reach reflects how good a player is at reaching the ball in the air. It indicates the highest point an outfield player can reach with his head. It is not necessarily reflective of how tall a player is, but when considering his jumping ability, it makes sense to take into account the player’s height. For example, a player of 200+cm will still possess a high reach even if he is a poor jumper, and a player who measures in at 170cm will struggle to compete at the same height due to the 30cm difference in height between the two."

I had always thought that jumping reach reflected how high a player could reach, regardless of height.

edit: In light of this, why on earth does Mertesacker have 20 for jumping reach? He has a terrible leap irl.

Along with rich I value teamwork, work rate, decisions and determination quite highly when evaluating a player irrespective of their technical/physical attributes that go along with the role I'm trying to get them for. Determination is also one of the most important attribute I look for in any young player I recruit.

How come? It's the easiest attribute to raise. You can make it rise 15+ in 3 months via tutoring.

How come? It's the easiest attribute to raise. You can make it rise 15+ in 3 months via tutoring.

Well, for one I didn't know that (lol) and because I was always under the impression that determination had a big impact on whether or not a young player reached their potential.

I think agility is an underrated attribute

Any thoughts?

Agility is important for quickness and jumping reach ,

if both (agility + quickness ) are low first train agility then quickness

if you are happy with quickness don't train agility ,go to another attribute you want to focus

Well, for one I didn't know that (lol) and because I was always under the impression that determination had a big impact on whether or not a young player reached their potential.

It plays no part in player development whatsoever :)

It's ambition and professionalism that matters. Determination is a ME attribute mainly and not a player development one.

Of late, and credit where it's due to Rashidi, I now highly prize bravery. I never liked the really low bravery players, but now I accord it pretty high standing in how I look for talent. If it is below 10 (Rashidi has 12 I think as his base) I pass, regardless of anything else. It just doesn't really improve much at all, even when it can be trained as part of a role like Central Defender. And I want my lads getting in there and getting after it. No Fear!!

Bravery (far as I know it's untrainable, might be wrong) Determination....didn't know that about tutoring either, thanks Cleon. I set my teams up to have a high degree of possession, so First Touch, Passing, Balance, Agility, Team Work. I also like my players to be quick, in League 2 I won't play any one with Pace or Acceleration under 10 if I can avoid it.

Bravery (far as I know it's untrainable, might be wrong)

Well as I mentioned above it is included in some role trainings, but not as a standalone trainable attribute where you could do a focus on it. Shame really; I coached American football for a period of time working with young players, and we definitely did bravery training as part of the practice sessions.

It's ambition and professionalism that matters. Determination is a ME attribute mainly and not a player development one.

I have to add injury proneness to the development equation. Injury prone players never seem to reach their potential, as they lose development time (and often CA points) when injured.

My new favourite attribute is decisions. I view that as the player's intelligence, and a smart team is what I want. It's also why I detest playing players out of position, since I believe that slightly knocks their decisions attribute.

Didn't see that, Dr Hook, sorry. I'll look into it, thanks...but personally I'd rather get someone in with the trait, rather than wasting time on it...unless the player is young and therefore I have the time to work on him all round, or his other attributes make him a must buy.

NO worries, just wanted anyone reading to be clear you can train it, but as I also mentioned above, it doesn't ever do a lot. You might get it up a point or two, but I've never seen any great gains with it. You last point is right where I am with it- if it is low and the player is young but is a must buy, I might take a chance, but outside that no. It is too much a black mark. I can see a use for a player like that, but not in any system I have a part in creating :D

No way hahahahaha, i thought determination also said something about his willingness to get the most out of his career hahaha. Ok thanks for clearing that up!

Sometimes it's more revealing to look at attributes in combination.

For strikers off the ball + anticipation is like a super-attribute. For defenders pace (top speed) is of limited value coupled with low acceleration (the time it takes to get to top speed). Aggression without bravery can lead to rashness and work rate without stamina leads to someone struggling to last 90 mins.

Sometimes it's more revealing to look at attributes in combination.

For strikers off the ball + anticipation is like a super-attribute. For defenders pace (top speed) is of limited value coupled with low acceleration (the time it takes to get to top speed). Aggression without bravery can lead to rashness and work rate without stamina leads to someone struggling to last 90 mins.

That's all very true. I also agree with the couple of posters who prioritise anticipation and decisions, although as a manager who focuses on bringing through his academy kids I usually have to live with disappointment! I also endorse the poster who mentions injury proneness. I give my academy kids 2 years and total up their injuries. Too many means I release them - no matter how talented they are I can't afford Daniel Sturridges in my LL squad!

Technique, anticipation, decisions, agility and balance are all attributes that took me a while to appreciate, since these affect how well other attributes are utilised rather than having a direct impact.

[edit] Oh and also flair and composure of course. Pretty much half the mental attributes actually.

Aggression for defensive players like DM. Without it, they could be bullied easily when going for challenges or tackles.

It's bravery rather than aggression that determines this. High aggression can be a bad quality for a DM, since it means he'll easily leave his position, which leaves the defence exposed. It's a good quality for a BWM though, since you actually demand him to harass the man with the ball.

Thanks for that link! It looks like I've been overrating jumping reach, as I've not signed quite a few tall players simply because they had average jumping.

"Jumping Reach reflects how good a player is at reaching the ball in the air. It indicates the highest point an outfield player can reach with his head. It is not necessarily reflective of how tall a player is, but when considering his jumping ability, it makes sense to take into account the player’s height. For example, a player of 200+cm will still possess a high reach even if he is a poor jumper, and a player who measures in at 170cm will struggle to compete at the same height due to the 30cm difference in height between the two."

I had always thought that jumping reach reflected how high a player could reach, regardless of height.

edit: In light of this, why on earth does Mertesacker have 20 for jumping reach? He has a terrible leap irl.

That quote is somewhat misleadingly written, I think - it's trying to justify why tall players who aren't great at jumping still have a high jumping reach. Anyway, your original belief is correct: jumping reach is all that determines how high a player can jump, height is irrelevant.

One that I haven´t seen been mentioned is stamina. This for me is an important attribute for all of my players (bar my goalkeeper and two CB´s). I like to play a high pressing game, which when on the attack looks to stretch the opposition as much as possible by quickly moving the balls from flank to flank. For me it is important to know that my players have the stamina to keep it up for 90 mins, knowing that any substitutions I make is a result of tactical switches and not because one player is always tired (Ryan Mason in the BBM role is a god example).

Not sure what you're question is? The way you described it first is exactly what it says in the manual. The highest point his head will be when he jumps. Jumping + Height.

:D yeah that was me just being lazy, thanks tyro.

I remember the days when CM came with it's own paper manual...halcyon times.

Indeed, I still have my FM08 manual I often refer to for attribute meanings.

• 4 weeks later...

mind blown. For years Ive always ignored regens with low Det for that reason. Can you walk me through making it rise 15+ in a short space of time via tutoring. Is it a specific kind of tutor you look for to do this or will any senior playing with high Det soup-up a youth players Det??

Dealbreakers can be attributes that are very difficult to improve (if at all!). For example bravery and aggression for defenders (if it's below 7-8, it's a problem). Jumping reach (height) for certain positions (DC, goalkeepers, even full-backs). Also work rate and teamwork (although tutoring can help here somewhat).

I have no faith in Decisions any more. My "smartest" players make just as many if not more bad choices during games.

In contrast I bring in dumb kids with low ratings in Decisions and they play well and do what I expect them to.

Anticipation and Agility are my go-tos now. Purely the ability to react to other players' mistakes and bad play.

Teamwork, Work Rate, Bravery, Determination, Aggression, Stamina and Natural Fitness!

I don't care what their technical ability is, I just want them to be fit and raring and eager to play their hearts out for the team.

All too often I see games where teams win just because of sheer effort and stamina alone. When two teams are roughly equal in ability as they often will be in the same league, this is what matters.

Consistency obviously helps too.

Try having a striker with 12 finishing in League 1 and see how many chances they blow!

My third choice striker in the PL has 13 finishing and is handily outscoring my first choice with 16 and high composure, off the ball & other attributes. Same roles and duties, same formation and teammates.

The latter is clearly connecting with the ball too well. Amazing accuracy for hitting the goalkeeper.

Long shots is only used for shots outside the box.

The direct mentality of strikers means they take on a meaningful number of long shot attempts per game (in my recent systems at least). It's far more valuable to me than finishing.

I also like Passing and Vision instead of Crossing and Dribbling for wide players, and Off the Ball and Dribbling for centrebacks (those wide in a back three, anyway).

In one of my saves, I've noticed that having a couple of forward players with good attributes for pace and dribbling makes a big difference. That's predicated on sitting deep and playing quick long balls forward, but it gives you a threat over the top. The dribbling attribute has the added effect of holding possession up the pitch while the rest of the team catch up. Every bit as good as a target man who can hold the ball up.

The direct mentality of strikers means they take on a meaningful number of long shot attempts per game (in my recent systems at least). It's far more valuable to me than finishing.

I also like Passing and Vision instead of Crossing and Dribbling for wide players, and Off the Ball and Dribbling for centrebacks (those wide in a back three, anyway).

If your strikers are having to shoot from distance on a regular basis then the issues are not with his attributes.

If your strikers are having to shoot from distance on a regular basis then the issues are not with his attributes.

I agree. No issue with attributes.

Or any issue at all. Goals count from outside the box.

If only they counted when blasted into the keeper from 4 yards out. Paloschi would win the golden boot.

Bully. My forwards are getting goals both inside and outside the box. I fail to see how that's an issue.

Of my strikers the ones with decent Long Shots are scoring more. Close-range chances are being spurned most frequently by my best Finisher (who is also the most Composed). And the most expensive :mad:

That said he's also getting the most chances because of his exceptional Off The Ball rating.

Archived